Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sat March 11th

Daily discussions.
Marilynsgrammy

Re: Sat March 11th

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:08 am

Good morning. It's the start of a beautiful day. The rain sort of fizzled out last night. We got one huge downpour then just spits of rain after that. We still have puddles, but I don't see the lakes I saw yesterday afternoon.

We are supposed to get more rain this coming week and while I will see puddles, I am high and dry. On the upside, the squirrel holes all over the property are full of water. I really don't like the squirrels and pray they meet their demise.

Do you smell that? The man who lives here with me is cooking bacon. We will have bacon cheeseburgers for dinner tonight and mine will be smothered in grilled onions. I'll have him make an extra patty so that tomorrow's lunch can be a Big Mac Salad, google it, it's really good.

Jerry has been making a lot of sweets lately. We have peanut brittle, peanut butter cookies and brownies with chocolate frosting all sitting in the kitchen saying eat me. Yesterday I stayed away from all of that and today will be another successful day. I really need to get rid of those 10 pounds before it becomes 15.

We tried watching that Mel Brooks movie about the history of the world. It took less than 10 minutes before we shut it off. The language and vulgarity was just so not what I was expecting. It was awful.

I'm still working on getting my house Katy-Fied, but not today. Today I will be in my room playing with my toys.

Judi, happy hockey day. I loved when the kids played baseball / softball. I think it was my favorite sport.

Flo, why can't people just put their trash in a can. I see trash everywhere. We have a school across the street from me and I love hearing the kids are outside playing, I bet it's the same for you.

Katy, prayers said for your niece and for her mom. Thanks for motivating me, not sure Jerry thanks you because it made him do a little as well. It is so nice to have everything looking a bit better. Can't wait until spring so the windows can be washed.

Becca, will your new home have an area where you can put some planters or pots? Enjoy your walk.

Valerie, we aren't affected by flooding either, so sad for those who are. Looks like the quilts are just whirling around you. either at the quilters or coming home from the quilters. Nice to have the DD quilt done. Hope you get to see dad soon, maybe bring him two treats. So, when your company leaves will you be able to turn the spare room into a sewing room? I think, if it were me, I'd probably empty the shed of all things quilting, put together a sewing room and a list of nearby hotels for visitors. Any ideas for the April lotto yet?

Maryz, I'd like to see an "I'm almost half done with my crazy quilt" picture. I can see it in my mind, but my mind isn't always accurate. Hope your furnace parts come in earlier than expected. I have divided my cleaning into sections. Rooms with carpet, rooms with sinks, and rooms with laminate flooring. The last two include my sewing room and the junk room. This spring it will be windows and that is when I will move from Katy jobs to Judi jobs. I'm very safe from the water, so wise to be on a hill rather than in a valley. If the rain ever reaches my door it will be time to build an ark.

Maryq, I'm so curious, just how many projects do you have needing to be sewn? I have a few, but not a whole lot. In my imagination you are surrounded by fabric, patterns, and projects.

Lois, I will wait till tomorrow to do a load since you will be in the laundry room. I may show up with a cup of coffee and some of these brownies or cookies that Jerry made. We keep our landline because it is the phone number that Jerry's daughter (Marilyn's mom) knows. We haven't heard from her in so many years and don't know if she is even alive. But, if she is alive and decides to clean herself up she my just try to give us a call. While we could do without the landline, we really can't give it up without giving up hope. Nice that you and Bill had a date.

Guess I need to get my butt moving. you all have a super day, I will be in my room if you want to come play. I could make tuna salad for lunch, or for MZ I could make turkey sandwiches.

Have a super duper Saturday,
Chriss
Psalm 91

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:43 am

Good morning!

The boys left early to go to the train show up in SLC. It has lots of vendors and a few portable layouts. So I popped out early too, over to the store to get what I forgot on my list. This was a different store, so what one didn't, this one did. Kitty is grateful I did, she was out of wet food. And I heard about it!

Yoohoodi is out doing his thing and I am going to dust, then play with fabric. It's beautiful and bright and not a cloud in the sky! Snowed a couple of inches overnight, but that will melt off quickly. The next leg of the pineapple express will be here tomorrow. More rain than snow.

Hugs,
Jana

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:12 am

Good Cloudy Rainy Afternoon......

There are a few snowflakes out there, 10 or 20. Much better than the 3" they said was coming.

The first thing I did yesterday was empty the sewing room book case. The shelf with all the books had a big bend in the middle. Have to finish going through it & put it together.
The cleaning girl was here so I'm looking pretty shiny.
Everyday for weeks now I've been hearing hammering coming from house next door. It's now gray was white, They must be fixing the inside all up. I wish I could see it. That's not going to happen, I'm not going to walk up the grassy hill or the 20 stairs. Now just have nice people.

Judi........both boys games ending on the same day. Good thing you have some baseball to fill in the time. Great idea to buy the fabric when you see it...you never know.

Flo.......that was some serious trash tossed over you fence. Are those chicks very noisy?
Did you ever hear the true story about a Canadian girl who found goose eggs & took them home. They hatched & imprinted on her, followed her every where. They had no mom to show then how to fly south. Her father ended up building a one person "airplane" & painted it like a goose. The geese followed it south, it took days.
In the spring they flew back to her in then spring. It was made into a movie.

Katy......happy to hear your taking a cleaning break. I was getting tired. Oh the happiness if binding. I will surely keep your niece in my prayers.

Becca.......enjoy your face timing. I'm sure they love to see you.

Val........happy dance for getting DD's quilt done. I agree with you going to all the classes. I did an involved BOM quilt at my LQS. I went to all the classes. One of the quilters did printing on fabric. She made a little sigh to put on one of the houses. Never miss a class. Maybe he called because he knew he could find information & kindness. I'm glad my corner cabinet has doors, it full of unstarted ready to go quilt projects.

Maryz......Oh Dear, your lucky it didn't need to be replaced. Happy you didn't have to freeze. I hope I can tell ahead if time if it's going to be a baaaaaad storm. There's a motel 30 mins from me. Enjoy your fires. Sounds like you are quilting a top speed.

Maryq......now that I'm retired & live alone some how my mind think the house should always near perfect. Never happens.

Love & Prayers......Kathy

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:47 am

I have sent a PM to : DouceFleur , but I am not sure she comes on line every day.
Have any of you made this tote?:

She's the one who introduced me to this lovely bag. I got my first one from her as my secret Santa years back.
Now my SIL wants me to make another bag for her. However, she would prefer it just a little wider.
I am studying my pattern.
I think I understand how to adjust my measurements, but I really wanted a second opinion.
There is a template for the bottom corners to stitch across to make a flat bottom.
I think I need only adjust the bottom section and make it 1/2" - 1" longer. Then increase my template so that when I sew across, it will create a wider bottom.
Anyone ever experienced something like this, when making totes?
Thanks!
HUGS, ๐Ÿ’• Vel

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:54 am

Yes, Velda, I think that will work. I just finished a tote a few weeks ago so I think I know what you are describing. And I believe Cindy G has this pattern or one like it. About 11 years ago she made me a really nice tote that looks just like this. You might text her.

mz

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:28 pm

Just to be the bearer of bad news - daylight savings goes into effect at 2 am in the morning. We "spring" forward one hour. Oh joy!

Thought you needed to know, so don't shoot me, I'm just the piano player!

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:27 pm

Update on the purse:
Assembly in progress! I have most of it put together. Might finish it tomorrow.
Thanks for input, Maryz!! Appreciate added opinions.
I will share a picture when I finish.
Thanks!!
HUGS, ๐Ÿ’• Vel

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:19 pm

Chriss, there are many quilt projects in the closet. Mostly tops that need to be quilted. I also have several hand work projects, and I have patterns cut out waiting to be sewn. I like to take those to sew days or retreats. Sometimes I get on a kick of cutting out quilts and do 2-3 at a time. I wish I was a one quilt at a time person, but I get distracted by pretty colors, and pictures in books and magazines. Then I'll start something new. Like the small sew along on Buttermilk Basin. It's a cute Spring table topper.
Lori 8-)

Return to โ€œSew insโ€