Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday, March 8

Daily discussions.
suzette58

Wednesday, March 8

Post by suzette58 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:01 pm

Good morning everyone.
Well, our 4 legged alarm clocks struck this morning. Guess who is sleeping? I will be in awhile. But, right now they are. I got one of the 2 memory quilts layered yesterday. Hopefully I will get the other one done today. I also went to the Bernina shop and got two presser feet for my new machine. They are on sale 20% off this month. Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful day. I am going back to bed.
Suzette

fabricgirl

Re: Wednesday, March 8

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:29 am

Good morning,

Suzette I remember those days when the dog wanted to go out fortunately Bill had to get up for work and he always took the dog for a walk.
Hopefully your back in bed sleeping.
It's 30⁰ here today and all the snow has melted we have our Chiropractor tune up today so thats where will be.
I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:23 am

Good morning Suzette and Lois and all that follow
Yesterday got my bathroom cleaned. That makes 4 rooms cleaned. Yippee. And I am not in pain.
I also took a trip to Galesburg for more Barney food and a quick run into Dollar tree for a few more Easter decorations. Also went to Joanns. We also stopped at Wendys for lunch. Unbelievable cost was $20 for what used to cost 12. O well. Got home took a short nap after walking Barney. Then fixed my goulash for today.
Today I do have to finish up a couple of minor things in kitchen. Then into sewing room. Unless the wind stops then its into my flower beds.
At least my new chiro is doing a great job.
Suzette I know how the 4 legged alarm clocks work. Barney got me up at 4:30 yesterday and just before 5 today. And of course he is sleeping.
Lois Hope your tune up goes well. My tune ups are working. LOl
Well its time for me another cup of Java. Then to work .
You all have a creative sewing day
Katy

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:39 am

Morning
Thus Morning we pick up the baby chick's.

Maryz, we have a brooder box in living room with a red heat lamp all ready for them. They will stay in there 3 to 4 weeks. And I probably will name all the babies.
Other than that nothing new happening.
Flo

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:56 am

Good morning,

Well, DH and I pranked ourselves this morning. Guess we're celebrating April Fool's Day a few weeks early. We woke up at the same time and our projection clock (projects time on the ceiling) said 5:38. Late for us. So we got up, dressed, made the bed, fed the boys, started coffee, emptied dishwasher, refilled it, turned around and looked at the stove clock - 3:38! For some reason, our bedroom clock changed times by 2 hours! And it's not something Foxy could have done. Weird. That clock is supposed to sync itself with a satellite and come DST, move itself forward. But only one hour and not until Sat night! Makes me wonder what the day is going to be like. We'll be draggin' our wagons by late afternoon.

SUZETTE - I'm glad your hubby is finding the wedge helpful. I haven't talked wedges for probably 40 years, then yesterday there was you, and come evening, friends came over and he was talking about sleeping/breathing/etc and I asked him if he'd tried a wedge. He had, and it worked so well, she got one, too, and it solved her snoring. After 40 years, wedges came up in conversation twice in one day.

LOIS - I'll see you in the chiro's office - 9:15. K?

LORI - I love your Buzzy Bees! Very cute! Looks like there would be a lot of opportunity to sew wings on backwards or on the wrong ends of the bees. That's what I would do, anyway. Was that where the frogging happened? It really is cute and was worth (to me!) all the trouble it caused you. :lol:

KATHY - I did notice another huge jump in grocery prices. I guess I won't be purging out my embroidery thread any time soon if that's the price of replacing it! However, what colors do you need? If I have the correct colors, I will be happy to share from my stash. I have most DMC colors.

CHRISS - did you decide what color(s) you are using in your charity quilt? You only have to make the top, correct? I so agree with you about the pineapple express vs atmospheric river terminology. Why do we have to change the names of everything to sound more sophistocated. It's just RAIN!

MARY Q - did you make much progress at KC's? And did you choose a UFO to work on? You know, if you start with your older ones first, they will be like new projects again!

JANA - I hope your room is soon as clean as Karlie's. Now if someone would just come clean mine! And yes, don't know if you saw my answer a few days ago, but I'd love to take you up on your shirt pattern offer.

JUDI - how was lunch out yesterday with your friend? You are good to provide an ear. I will be doing that, too, next Monday. Taking two friends, (ages 85 and 93) out for lunch. 93 lost her husband of 70+ years last July and having a really hard time. How is Jane?

Yesterday I cleaned and cooked. Bill helped like he usually does. Company came and we had a nice evening. But like last week when other friends were here, we built a fire in the fireplace and it really warmed up the place. And the extra warmth woke up the hibernating stink bugs! Again!! Double Ick!!! So, the entertainment for the evening was spotting and vacuuming up bugs! We got 12 last night and last week we only got 10. Our guests felt like they'd won a contest, finding more bugs than on Tex & Annette's visit. lol! (our friends all know each other.) We may lose the Entertainers of the Year award this year.

I'm still plugging away on my crazy project. I think I'm down to about 65 blocks left to make. Then will start the gold feather stitching on them. If/when I finally get this top together, I plan to tackle the remaining scraps. And I would like to know - if y'all were cutting your scraps into usable squares, what sizes would you chose? For instance 7" or 6-1/2"? 5" or 5-1/2"? Etc. And how small do you go? Just curious.

Have a Wunnerful Wunnerful Wednesday!

mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:08 am

Good morning all I slept til 630 this morning Ken had a restless night,,,so I didnt sleep well...but I am up and running,,,most of what I got done this morning is Katy's fault...I stripped my bed and since I have laundry to do anyway,,,,I decided to strip and wash the room my son uses when he stays here,,,(Not often but when we leave he watches the house and various other times when he is near working) He collects crap kind like his father Ken doesnt throw things away either,,,So I am "Spring Cleaning " that room today, I got 2 empty storrage totes and I am loading them up with his stuff much of which are summer clothing and things he leaves behind. All this will be stored in the now empty closet and he can take it to his place or pitch what ever he doesn't want. I will clean the room thoroughly and hope the cigarette smell leaves,,,he doesnt smoke in the house but his clothing keeps the smell....if you are or live with a smoker you know this is a problem...At my work office they had a separate closet for the coats of the smoking people. Spring cleaning is like eating an elephant,,,,,one bite at a time...
I did more on the jane quilt last night and It is going a little faster but still a snails pace...I saw on the art to heart FB page that she will be releasing the next 6 patterns next week. Hoping to order them all...and have this quilt in the que,
Have a wonderful day I off to answer the washer and keep on moving,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Maryz I would cut scraps into the biggest usable size,,,I usually go 5x5 but if the scraps are smaller no smaller than 2 1/2. When I used to go to the guild meetings ( a different one) A lady there uses to make dog and cat pads for the shelter. We gave her all the cuttings and scraps.batting anything smaller than 2 inches went o her bags,,,,she didnt make many quilts but made a lot of critter pads..( even used old clothing)

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:24 am

Good morning all! Today is a busy day here. OMG! Maryz... That is so weird about your clock?? You probably will never know why! Just hope it doesn't pull a stunt like that again!!!
Talking about scraps... I am just not that organized! If I have left overs, they just get tucked away by color. Then I may use in a strip quilt (I forgot what those blocks are called). But to pre-cut into squares? Nope, can't seem to be that organized. LOL.
A project I have lined up, while I am taking a rest from sewing, is to repaint a USMC outdoor cement decoration. It's the USMC seal. It's round and has the Eagle Globe and Anchor in the center. The sun has faded it over the years. It's embarrassing to display it so faded, so I bought some indoor/outdoor paint and will try my hand at making it look fresh and new again.
I will set up a folding table and do a little each day. Fun project for something different to do. 🤗
You all have a fun day.
PS: Judi, you jumped in here with me.
I know what you mean about smokers. Yuk!
And they don't smell it! Good to isolate his stuff for sure!
HUGS, 💕 Vel

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:39 am

Good Morning Y'all

Oh gosh, it's Wednesday again already! This week is going fast! Not complaining tho... gets us closer to spring!

Suzette.. My gosh, you had presence of mind to write at note at 1 am!... Hope you were able to get right back to sleep!

Lois... You have no snow on the ground at all? I think it will be June before ours is gone, especially the little mountains of it piled every where around here And last I heard, we are expecting more snow this week!

Katy.... You have to stop cleaning, you're making me tired!

Flo.... OH boy, what fun .... baby chicks! I can hear their little "cheep cheeps" from here! I hope the dog gets along with them.

Maryz.... Made a little progress at KC's.... found a box of jelly rolls she forgot she had---so guess where the are now!!! Also about 5 sets of blocks she had started sewing but didn't want any more. Am going to run over today to work on a couple little things... then I'm DONE... at least until I get my own house back in order! Every time I go there it takes me a couple days to deal with all the S**T I bring home. LONG story!!! Sounds like you and Bill will need a little nap this afternoon... and maybe a new clock???

Judi.... As a former smoker I can attest to the smell of it! Have you tried a light mist of white vinegar? The smell of vinegar dissipates pretty quickly. The former owner of my townhouse smoked IN the house so it's taken almost a year to get that smell out. I hate to admit it but I smoked in my house too and after I had to scrub yellow off the walls... I quit!

Velda... Scraps... the bane of my existence!!! I have probably 3 tote boxes of unorganized scraps in my garage!! I'm just not a scrappy quilter so I rarely even go looking for something out there. I try to organize them as I go.... but It just seems to take too much time. My friend Peggy loves scraps so I let her come shop when she needs something.

For now I better get in the shower and get going. The sooner I get to KC's the sooner I get home! I think I'm going to set her up with a project she can do herself for a couple weeks... lots of snow in the forecast here so I ain't driving there if it's snowing! :lol: :lol:

Have a Wonderful Wednesday every one!

velvet

Post by velvet » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:44 am

Good morning to all.
We have found a piece of property about 25 minutes away from Joe and Fran's house in Conway. Its "in the country". Mostly wooded across the front and a pretty open area in the middle. The owner had it cleared a few years ago so its scrubs and weedy with small pines. We are having a friend of hubby who does this type of work to look it over this afternoon. The last piece of property was so muddy and had a lot of water in the back half, after he check it out he told us if it was him he would walk away. But if he agrees with us, we'll make an offer and keep our fingers crossed.

Yes, we have DDIL's son and his wife and 2 little tykes live down the block from me. When we brought here 5 years ago, it was great. Now we have houses being built almost each week. The total area is going nuts with new devs. we have 3 huge ones down the road. No additional schools, fire dept, or police dept are on the slate to build. We have only a 2 lane road with 1000's of homes so the traffic getting out of the dev. is rough. For us at our age just want peace and quiet. I know 72 is still young but this problem is going to get impossible within the next year.

When I was sewing, I ran over an unseen pin and managed to throw it off timing so it's in the shop. I have a Phaff as a back up. What a difference between the 2 machines.

Going to meet hubbys friend and find out the scoop on the property

Enjoy
Diane

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:04 am

Good morning. Today will be the calm before the storm. Supposed to be sunny and nice outside but tomorrow we get another storm. I am so thankful to live below the real snow. They are supposed to get 5 or more inches of rain in the next day or two and imagine that 6 feet of snow just melting creating floods in the areas where the fires were just this past summer. What a mess.

Yesterday I cleaned my bedroom. dusted, moved furniture, vacuumed. I still need to do the windows and ceiling fans. Today will be the living room and perhaps the dining room and laundry. I caught this cleaning bug from Katy, it's all her fault.

The weather should be clearing up after next week and I will get Jerry to tackle the garage, getting ready of so much junk. After the garage I can tackle the spare room. If it were me the whole house and garage would be free of junk. Jerry is the king of keeping the junk. We even have the kids junk here.

Flo, it's going to be a peeping good time at your house with those chicks all warm and cozy under that light. I'm curious to know DGD's reaction to the chicks. While they aren't my little pony they are equally cute.

Maryz, I don't cut scraps smaller than 2 1/2 inches. If I can't get 2 1/2 inches out of it, it goes in the trash. At last month's quilt group meeting I brought home some black, grey and white fabric. I also have black, grey and white fabric here. All scrappy. I'm thinking a Jacobs Ladder. Very simple and I am adding maybe yellow. I agree, Lori's buzy bee's are so cute. I really like them.

Judi, that Katy is an influencer. I see she sent the cleaning bug your way too. I agree about the smoke smell that lingers. Both Jerry and I are former smokers and I am so thankful we don't smell like that anymore. Not sure how we could afford to smoke. I only smell it in Jerry's truck which is rarely used. If we gave it a good cleaning the smell would go away.

Suzette, yay for almost being done with those quilts. Hoping DH is sleeping better. which presser feet are you getting. I couldn't believe the difference a 1/4 inch foot made for me.

Lois, enjoy the alignment. how is that new vac working for you? I sure love mine. I'll be done in the laundry room soon incase you plan to show up there today.

Katy, it's all your fault. I am now in cleaning mode and since I can't find anyone else to blame it on, I am choosing you. I also see you sent the same bug to Judi. I went grocery shopping yesterday and was also amazed at the price increases. crazy, isn't it? Jerry may need to live without some things for a while.

Velda, hope your painting job works and you have a beautiful masterpiece to display.

Maryq, I am completely the opposite. I love scraps and scrappy quilts. I've almost gone through my tote. Are you going to make jelly roll race quilts with those jelly rolls? it's quick and easy and a great pattern for a charity quilt.

Diane, yay you. so glad you found a piece of property that will work for you. I hope your offer is accepted. Will you need to drill a well and add a septic tank? Do you have a house plan picked or will you put in a modular home? We have a mobile home and sort of designed it to suit our needs. We added a bathroom near the laundry room and changed a wall and some doors. so many options.

Time to hang up some laundry and get ready for the next load to be dry. Soon I will tackle the living room and have some breakfast. New favorite is spinach and green onion in some scrambled eggs with a little cheese.

You girls have a great day.
Chriss
Psalm 91

Return to “Sew ins”