Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUNDAY, February 5th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

SUNDAY, February 5th

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:14 am

Good early morning,

It was a sleepless night here. I finally gave up, got up, and here I am. With my besties. :D

DIANE - how fascinating that you had a view of the balloon "incident"! Glad it's all over now, but I wonder what fall-out will follow. . .

JANA - you had quite a shopping trip - for one who was "behaving"! :lol: Fun to begin a new project - especially one of your own design!

MARY Q - your brother contacted Bill through the Boondocker site, though it took us 24 hours (until I read your post last evening) to figure out who he was. :lol: If they ever decide to come this way, we'll give them priority parking! I hope your 'shoppers' today scoop up a lot of fabric! You must be getting close to $1,000 by now for KC.

LORI - I hear you on saving a favorite fabric. It's taken me years to cut into some pieces and even then, it has to be for a project for ME - or for someone I love and who I know will treasure my quilt. Sometimes, if I REALLY love a fabric I'll buy an extra yard just to save. How squirrely is that??

JUDI - you should be arriving in FL today at your house. Hooray!! Let the good times roll!

CHRISS - does Jerry have an appt time set yet for his bronchoscopy? Smart move to buy him some sweats. Nice and comfy, and some of those tests require no metal but sweats are OK.

Yesterday I finished my otters block. I have 3 more 24" North Stars blocks to finish, but set them aside for a while. Each one takes a full day at least to sew. Our friend, Bob, texted us. I planned to make him a Bigfoot quilt for his new "home" (toy hauler fifth-wheel). He is going to sell his house and hit the road full-time for a while. But turns out plans are fast-tracking. He bought the new trailer Friday morning and will be picking it up in Salem, Oregon in about 10 days. In fact, since Bob's truck isn't yet outfitted to haul it, Bill has offered to drive to OR and pick it up for him and haul it back to LaGrande (near famous Pendleton, OR). Anyhoo - I guess I need my quilt sooner than I expected so I got started yesterday. I'm using Eliz Hartman's Lookout pattern of a forest of 49 tree blocks but subbing in Bigfoots for the animals in her quilt. I'm taking the Bigfoot from another pattern, enlarging it, and appliqueing it on about 4 of the blocks, I am making the "picnic" size, which is about 72x75". I have one whole block done! Yay! Each block is 8x15" (finished) and is made from different fabrics so I have piles of fabrics pulled and each block is specially cut. Sewing goes quickly but cutting not so quick. I do make things hard on myself. :lol:

So if you need me you know where I'll be today!

Have a Super Sunday!
mary z
>^+^<

FlorenceM

Re: SUNDAY, February 5th

Post by FlorenceM » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:33 am

Morning Maryz and all to follow,
Yesterday I got my mending done. Then had to babysit for a few hours. We changed things up and went to mass last night followed by grocery shopping. By time we put groceries away it was 8 pm before we ate.
Today we are taking truck and trailer to kids house to remove debris from trees we dropped at beginning of winter, then bbq lunch.
Maryq, in Sept on our way home from Pennsylvania, we hit a piece of tire rubber off a semi truck. A lot of damage was done under front bumper and clip. Took body shop a bit to get the parts.
Time to scoot.
Flo

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:38 am

Sorry I missed you all yesterday. Didn't feel good when I got up and it got progressively worse. GI bug of some sort and by 4 I was in the ER. They ran a bunch of tests and decided it was either food borne or viral. Sent me home with some nausea meds. Feeling a bit better this AM. Fever is gone but I am wiped out. Now sounds like DH has it. So you all know how that goes.

I do have a girl coming to work with Dad today to see if she may want the job. She will need some training but at least I can train her my way.
Plus the HHA can work with her on bathing skills, etc.

Not too much else to talk about today. I will read and catch up later.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:43 am

Good morning all! It is really quiet here this morning since Rob came and got Sadie yesterday and went to their new apartment. They are now about 250 miles away from Smoke, Sweetie and me. Smoke is really missing Sadie this morning. Time to get back to normal. Sadie was here for about 7 weeks until Rob got an apartment and got settled. He did not think it would take that long. He and Sadie really missed each other. It is so quiet here today.

Not much planned for today. Time to get back to normal and I am a bit tired. Hope everyone has a good and safe day.
Sherry

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:48 am

Good morning getting ready to hit the road. We will head to Orlando to
Pick up our flying in friend. Then to meet my other sister Dbil niece and nephew for dinner. This will be our only chance to see them. Niece is the one whose husband was killed last year. ( she still a mess) and my nephew the Marine. ( his leave us over and he heads back tomorrow) So after all
That we will settle into the house and relax. We have another couple who we will see next week. And another couple we will
Meet for dinner the following week. These are all
Old camping friends we have met along the way On our way here. Ken planned a stop at a quilt shop he didn’t tell us just planned at least an hour into the trip. He finally had to tell us because he forgot the name of the quilt shop. It is called the Scarlet Thread. We shopped and chatted with the ladies there. They were so excited to see us. All the way from Michigan. I bought some fabric for the Wander lane quilt. Ken is a keeper so thoughtful. Well I’m being told to get moving. Have a wonder full day. XxxxxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:58 am

Good Morning All
Yesterday I went grocery shopping . I ended up spending between Walmart and Kroger a whole $40. Then came home and we ate left over chili. O Barney was kind of throwing a fit he wanted to go. So we loaded his crate up and away we went. LOl Yes he is spoilt already. But Shi Tzus want to be with there people all the time. Last night I worked on getting all the threads off Sorry you were sick. the quilt going to quilter. This quilt is the one from a sew along years ago. It has ninety 6.5 inch blocks but girls it is almost there . It is done in rose, blue ,and green. I luv it on my bed for spring in summer. Thats accounts for all the threads.
I have three lotto blocks done and hope to get three more done before shipping off. I finally figured out why mine were not coming out right. Your supposed to square up to 9 inches well silly me I was using a 9.5 ruler. You would think I had just started quilting. Gish!!!!
Maryz How nice your making a quilt for a friend. I know there are quilt patterns where the sewing is quick and easy but the cutting out is terrible.
Valerie Sorry you were sick. There is so much crazy crap going around.
Today going to fix pork chops , some corn caaerole and brussel sprouts. I am going to work on another lotto block.
I need more coffee. Later ladies.
You all have a great sewing day
Katy

velvet

Post by velvet » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:38 am

Good morning to all.
The items from the balloon are in 45 feet deep water. The Navy is there and hopefully they will finish gathering any of the pieces. The news wants everyone who see anything on the sand to call the police immediately. The area will be from Wilmington NC all the way down to Charleston SC. It was a great sight to see. All the neighbors were outside watching the jets and seeing the remains falling. I just hope they can find whatever info can be found.

It is going to be a gray rainy type of day. I'm trying out the borders for DD quilt. I need a 14 inch drop.
I have made small blocks using the cut-offs from the snow-ball blocks and I'll try to use them. If not, they'll go into the "maybe" and "whatever" bag in the closet.

Well, off to start my day
Diane

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:51 am

Good Morning Girls

Just a quick drive-by this morning... for now at least. I slept a little longer than I meant to and have to open up the "little quilt shop in the living room" Peggy and her sister are coming and as soon as they have checked out, this stuff if OUTTA here! Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have helped and I've done a little shopping myself, but I just want my living room back!

Yesterday tho I did actually spend most of the day in the sewing room... cleaned it up a bit and worked on a few more aprons---I've got a real system going now :lol: :lol: While the embroidery machine runs and stitches out something, I sew on the regular machine and just roll back and forth between them.

I better run and pick up a few odd things laying around. Peggy has seen my messy house, but I don't want her sister to think I'm a total slob! :lol: :lol:

See y'all tomorrow

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:56 am

Good morning!

Sitting in our pew, waiting for church to begin.

Not much here, the warm before the storm. Which translates to snow coming and lots of wind. Good time to sew when we get home from church.

Who we hope will get us on his landscaping calendar will be by on Tuesday to look things over. Hecan start some of the dirt pile removal to help keep his guys busy. We still have a bit of snow on the ground, but to a skid steer, that's not a problem. He can do all the preliminary work as well.

Sarah meets with the countertop fabricator on Monday to work out what goes where. She is down to the last "jewelery" for the kitchen design. A new chandelier over her dining table. We know what we want, just trying to find it. She is also recovering the seats to the dining chairs, we found the perfect fabric yesterday. It will be tight cutting as the piece was just a couple of inches shorter that what we wanted. So, Sarah will make exact templates , then lay all out to be sure we get it right before we cut. Definitely a measure twice situation at the price of this upholstery fabric.

Time to scoot,
Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:39 am

Good morning. It's a soggy day today, but I am thankful it's not cold. The rain that was supposed to start today showed up last night. Hoping that it's done and moves on.

Americans are a fickle bunch. I want rain, I wish it would stop raining. It's too hot, it's too cold. We will never forget, I forgot. I want more, I'm satisfied. Love, hate. Tolerance, intolerance. Empathy, indifference. so many extremes.

TinaB. Many things should be shared but strep isn't one of them. You are wise to stay home. I also have fabric I am not wanting to cut up. When we did an autograph quilt years ago Jana sent me her block and told me the fabric, she used was one of her favorites, I felt special that she chose to use it on me. You go cut up that fabric, measure twice. If you cut a piece too small use it on something else and start on another piece. That smaller piece will be great in a scrap quilt. You go girl.

Maryq, I appreciate your making laps around the beads for Jerry. It will be nice to be rid of the fabric from KC's. As much as I would have loved some of it, I am also glad I didn't look through it. I end up buying fabric at yard sales and thrift stores to make blocks for my quilt group to make charity quilts. Guess I'm saving my fabric for other quilts because too much is never enough.

Maryz, I like the replacing big foot with the animal's idea. There was a restaurant in Oakhurst called Bigfoot. it had hanging on the walls news reports of big foot, painted footprints on the floor. Basically, it was hamburgers. No appointment for Jerry yet. We just got the information Friday and I imagine the appointment will be set up this week. Everything takes time and patience. Without God I wouldn't have either

Flo, nice to have the grocery shopping done. Yesterday I went around the property and picked up branches and twigs that had fallen down in the last storm. The goal was to burn it all today, too wet to make fire so will burn it next week.

Valerie, just wondering (said in my sternest mom voice) how long can you keep going like this before you just collapse and aren't able to do anything? I wish you'd rest for a few days because your health is important. Lecture over. I care.

Sherry, Hope your son settles in and loves his new apartment.

Judi, when you said pick up your flying friend my thoughts went to the flying nun, funny. Enjoy the rest of your trip and have a great vacation. Ken is a sweetie, nice of him to scope out a LQS to give you a bit of happy. He deserves a smooch.

Katy, I had the same issue with the lotto blocks, thankfully it meant just taking off the outside pieces, squaring and resewing. I will be grocery shopping today. I think brussel sprouts will end up in my cart. I have chicken in the fridge for dinner, brussel sprouts will be a nice go with.

Diane, boy I bet that balloon was something to see and hear. I would have like to have seen it all happen.

Jana, hope that fabric for the chairs comes out. Remember the seam allowance. Once it's sewn together you can exhale. I thought your landscaping was done, hoping that you can get on the calendar and have it done soon.

Today I will head into town. I need a few things, will stop by my dad's. I was going to go with him to my uncles for his 80th birthday but with Jerry's stuff all up in the air I shouldn't go. But dang, I really want to. I would be 6 hours away and need to do what is right. So, I will stay home and be a good girl. It's not often that I don't get to do what I want to do. Can you tell that I am a little disappointed?

Time to get dressed, get breakfast and get moving.

You all have a superb day.
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”