Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Friday January 27,2023

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Friday January 27,2023

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:39 am

Good morning Everyone,

Yesterday we went to bed bath and beyond and I got a new crock pot and it's called choose a crock it comes with 3 diffrent size crocks it will be here today I'm either going to make stew or maybe stuffed peppers for today.
Since we didn't clean yesterday will do that today.
I'm not able to have coffee today because of that nuclear stress test so I already told Bill I might be a little witchy today and he said it is what it is.
The stress test isn't until tomorrow. :oops:

Mary I know you were happy to be home it's always nice to be away but it's always nice to get back home.

Well thats all the news from here I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois
Last edited by fabricgirl on Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

velvet

Re: Friday January 27,2023

Post by velvet » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:52 am

Lois--good luck with your stress test today. After its over you can have that cup of coffee than. Hope the results are good for you.

I'm working on the blocks for DD quilt. But what a pain in the butt--didn't figure it would take so long. I guess making the tops 60x80 got me used to small sizes. Oh well, I'll just keep on trucking along with it.

I ordered the razor that QIAD had for "un-sewing seams" or ripping out screw ups. LOL Diane has one and it really works and quick. Should take a week or so before I get it.

Has anyone heard anything on El's health? She seems to be stepping back and Orion is taking her place. I learned how to start making blocks years and years ago on Channel 13 PBS on Long Island. I have collected so many of her videos and books. Its funny to look at the earliest books and see how far we have come.
Computer is giving me problems and hubby is still sleeping. I'll come back later
Diane

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:04 am

Good morning everyone.
Not much going on here today. This afternoon I have my mastery class for my new machine. Of course I am planning on leaving a little early to see what new fabric they have. Another car has been broken into here. They got over $400. People are talking about this all over town and the women are still leaving their purses in unlocked cars. I hope everyone has a great day.
Suzette

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:16 am

Good early morning to everyone.
I agree. Eleanor's Quilt in a Day programs on PBS was the stepping stone to turning my sewing interests toward quilt making. Before that I knew quilting from my Grandma and Mom, but Eleanor's quick piecing methods and demonstrations got me hooked.
Then later I found this wonderful group and met Lyn in Texas and three other new quilting friends. I have lots of great memories because of "Eleanor and Quilt in a Day".
Waiting to hear from my doctor today. We have an app on our phones that connects to our Doctor. It's called "My Chart". Yesterday's blood tests show on there and some tests were elevated that she will need to explain. My A 1C was up a few points, too. I know she will need to put me back on track. I was a bit down about it, but I have changed my attitude. I just need to make a game plan and think positive.
My new air purifier is supposed to be delivered today. Looking forward to giving that a try. I hope it helps my allergies.
Well coffee ☕ then sewing later. Have a fine day.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:29 am

Good morning from HOME!!

DIANE - You will get that quilt done in no time. You only started it a week ago, didn't you? I believe, like most folks, Eleanor is now semi-retired or retired. Her birthday is in July and I believe she will be 80. She is the same age as my sister who just turned 80 in Nov.

SUZETTE - I guess the burlaries will stop when the bait is removed. Perhaps ask for extra patrols at night? Put signs up all over your neighborhood - "Nighttime burglaries - LOCK YOUR CAR!", or sit out on your front porch with a shotgun? Before we left for TX the same thing was happening here. We always put our car and pick-up in locked garages but not everyone can do that. I hope you enjoy your class today. When I took my class with my now 4 yr old machine - B430 - it really helped. But have to confess, much as I love it now, I hated it at first and was going to return it but it slipped from my hands when I was taking it out of the car at the shop, hit the ground, and broke the corner off the housing (hence Chriss "chriss-ened" him "Chip") so I had to keep him. So glad I did!

LOIS - no coffee!? For two days??!!! How about decaf? herb tea? Cocoa? I hope the days go quickly for you and the test goes smoothly and with good results.

JUDI - glad Sophia is able to enjoy the sport she loves. Our Alec went through a Japanese phase, too, and took it in high school. He is 25 now so I'm not sure if he still is into it. Have you thought about making Sophia a quilt with Asian fabrics or I've seen some with little kimonos all with different Japanese fabrics. Kind of like a Japanese Sunbonnet Sue. I know! You could use the little Japanese Sue from the International SBS book and make them all different. I'll help! I'll loan you my pattern! This will be such fun - for me!! :D

VELDA - we have My Chart, too. It's great! We even linked ours to the CVS drug store where we got our PCR Covid Tests done in austin, and other medical facilities Bill went to in Austin. I hope your labs aren't too out of whack.

VAL - you must be sewing up a storm to get all your projects caught up! The donkey is cute. I made a mistake in my background choice - it's a little dark and the hooves and ears on the sheep and donkey don't show well. I think you chose a background a few shades lighter which will showcase ALL of your animal parts and pieces! And no, we won't go back to Texas until late fall. Autumn requested we wait until then and then stay to babysit through the holidays.

CHRISS - what great info you gave Mary Q to help KC. I hope Jerry doesn't cancel his appt. Is it real or virtual? Congratulations on your new chairperson appointment. They couldn't have found a better person for the job. What's the word on Baby Theo? Did he ever come home from NICU? For our long termers, we eventually transferred to the children's hospital at 4 months of age, though before that we had a few kids who celebrated their first birthday with us.

MARY Q - where do KC"s folks live? At one point she was planning to move to AZ to be close to a sibling, wasn't she? Is that where her parents are? And yes, Kohl's does Amazon returns. Our UPS store has a huge box where they dump all the unpackaged things in for returns to Amazon. The employees hate it. UPS stores are small and the box takes up a lot their walking room behind the counter. When it's full, they seal it up, ship it off, and set up a new box. And it costs them = but is part of a UPS/Amazon contract, it's purpose to bring in customers. Though if people package their items themselves, it's much easier for the staff and UPS actually makes a little bit. I only know this because we have our mailbox at the UPS store and we asked all about it.

IZZY - your floors are beautiful! That storm sounds like a scary doozy! I hope your critters were all OK.

KATHY - I hope you stop by today and read what Chriss wrote yesterday. Maybe that would be of some help to you?

We are home!! Arrived about 12:30, got parked and unhitched, and all the essentials plus fridge and freezer stuff brought in. Bill built a fire and we collapsed and waited for our supper to arrive. Lasagna! Yay! I ate seconds of everything, I was so hungry! Watching the pets when they saw where we "were camping for the night" was funny. They both had such a great time running all over the property. Scotty chased imaginary intruders, barking and twirling. Foxy explored all his favorite flower beds! And by dark, we were all back in our little home ruts. It was great! Today, more unloading and laundry. And maybe some grocery shopping. I can't wait to start setting my sewing room back up again. 🧵🪡😻

Happy Weekend Eve!
mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:56 am

Good Morning,,,It is snowy but nothing new,,,Today is a sewing day for me...Middle son is coming over to help Ken clean the gargage.AKA shop/ He wants to work on his car and there is absolutely no room...so it has become a mission...There is a great wood stove in ther set up to heat the place and firewood so I will probably not be in their way...I will do some more Jane and maybe sew a few test blocks to see how it looks..I have watched the video a few times now..I am almost done with the sashing cutting, I still need to mark all the pieces....
I might put some egg bread on to rise...been wanting to try this recipe// so I might today...with my son here there is no chance it will go to waste...We dont eat a lot of bread these days..but the boys always loved my home made bread for years I never bought bread. A loaf here had a shelf life of hours.
I must tell you Sophia is still working on costume sewing a bit,,,She has been into Asian culture for a couple of years...making her a quilt in Asian fabrics might be on my list. When my son was in Korea (Army) He bought my daughter a pink silk Kimono...Colleen saved it all these years and pulled it out for Sophia and she has it hanging in her room. it is heavily embroidered with flowers and birds... Im not sure if it fits her still or not I dont think she would be able to wear it due to its age. but it looks perfect/ That Asian Sue sounds cute I must look it up/
Well Ken has brought me coffee here in the sewing shop/ He is home today again on a tale end of a cold...Yesterday he slept a lot of the day away and watch crazy stuff on tv all day/ I did my thing and left him alone in the man cave...He seems to have recovered with out my help ( Imagine that!!!) well I hope you all have a great day,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:05 am

Mary Z they told me no caffeine at all of any kind :oops:

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:45 am

A cloudy coast day.

Lois, I must of had a different stress test, a few years back, cause I don't remember not being about to have coffee and I would have remembered that!! Hope all goes well.

Diane, El is probably enjoying the grandkids. I like watching the reruns on PBS of El and Nancy. I bet the quilt will be lovely.

Suzette, I swear, some people live with their head in the sand. Knowing that there's break ins you'd think people would be more careful, hope no one has a gun in the unlocked cars. A few years back, down here, some unlocked cars were gone through. Two of those cars had hand guns under the driver seat. Knew both men and thought they were smarter than to leave a gun in an unlocked car.

Velda, I miss you and so does Margaret!!! We haven't even gone up to the Clubhouse for sewing together, though Margaret has been busy helping her friend who's hubby passed away so not sure if she's working much on her own stuff. Hope the blood test isn't too bad.

MaryZ, I'm glad you are home safely. Relax, the unload can wait. I'm wondering about Vicky's house, have her kids cleaned up around it? Did the police ever learn anymore about the death? I think you need to rent a car and make a straight shot to Texas for a visit a month or so after that baby gets here.

Judi, sounds like Sophia is a very talented young lady. Nice that the guys have a stove in the shop.

I'm not sure I will get the steps done before we head up to the house tomorrow. I have some paperwork that needs attention and load a few things in the Jeep. I'm glad Valerie and MaryQ have posted Feb. lotto. I can see what I have in my little stash at the house and bring it back to the MH.

Hope everyone has a Blest day.
Lyn

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:55 am

Good morning!

The dress shopping yesterday, was different. Gracie is turning 8 next month and announced to us that she's done with poofy dresses. She tried on every white dress in the store, and there was no poof at all! The one both Kate and I wanted, had a tulle skirt with a large lace border, it was gorgeous. Gracie humored us and tried it on, it was perfect! But alas, it was a no go, no matter how much we tried. She fell in love with a very nice lace all over, but no poof or frills. She liked the long sleeves too. Grandma is changing the flower adornment. It just is pinned on at the waist, to a better looking one, that we will also make, so it's changeable. So nearly 2 hours, we finally got everything! Oh, she wanted to have a fancy hairband, no bow or flowers for her hair, so she found what she wanted, a perfect hairband. So now Grandma is down to just two girls who like poofy dresses. Lila, she loves poofy, as long as it's purple. We were informed of that on the trip home last night! LOL!

Today we are taking my Solara out for a run, to make sure she's running right. So since we'll be out, I'll stop at Trader Joe's for some of their chocolate croissants, I'm out. They are a necessity!

I will be seeing the dress I need to alter for one of my former activity days girl. She's now a junior in high school and this is a big Sweetheart dance, very formal. Hopefully I can help fix the dress. It's slightly too big and a tad long. So hoping for no chiffon, but I do know better! I hate chiffon to hem! But I do have a new serger that I got for Christmas and it does beautiful rolled hems.

We thought about selling our little red truck and already a person is in the wings wanting to buy it, when we decide. Our neighbor has a friend who wants it. So will see. It's a great truck, 22 years old and less than 100,000 miles. Hard to sell one of your children! LOL!

Well, time to fix breakfast,
Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:16 am

Good Morning Girls!

Happy Friday.... So glad Lois put that in the title today... I'm still thinking it's Thursday!

Lois.... After all the years you've been married, I think Bill will be ok with a little "witchy"!!! A little prayer that your stress test goes well and with good results. And that there will be coffee when you get home!

Diane... When I first decided I wanted to learn how to quilt... I just googled Quilt In A Day because I had heard of it before. I joined the forum January 21, 2007.. Having no idea what a "forum" even was!!! What a fun ride this has been. I don't know where I would be without y'all!

Suzette..... Well that's just silly..... to leave your purse in the car!!! Even if doors are locked, glass breaks!!! Have fun with your class on your new machine. When I got my embroidery machine I was supposed to go back for lessons, but I just never got around to it. Luckily I've been able to figure it out pretty well on my own.

Velda....Can you believe it's been over 6 years since we met in Houston! Didn't we have a great time!

Maryz.... YEAH HOME!!! I was going to text you last night but by the time I thought of it I figured you'd be asleep either in the chair downstairs or tucked in your own bed! KC's folks are in Arkansas.... I'm not sure HOW she is going to get herself there on a plane. She can barely walk as it is. I've talked to the guy at the PO here.. They HATE Amazon. I guess Amazon fired all it's employee drivers and only uses contract drivers now. And the contract between USPS and Amazon... The PO gets only $1.00 per package that they deliver for Amazon--not regular postage rates. So if anybody wonders why their mail is late and takes so long... their work load doubled they can't find people to work.

Judi... Oh my gosh, I bet that Kimono is gorgeous! Is Sophie into those Animay (sp) characters too? I used to work with a gal that made those costumes and they were beautiful! Has your new basement become Ken's man cave? What a sweet guy to bring you coffee.

Lyn... Hope you find some fun fabric for Feb Lotto blocks. It's on my to-do list today too, to see if I can whip up a few more with the scraps that are overflowing here!

Jana... I don't suppose you've ever seen "Say Yes To The Dress" Not even sure where it is on TV I just see it on Facebook sometimes. Oh my gosh the dresses!!! It will be interesting when your girls get to shopping for wedding dresses with their different tastes!

A little sad news in my neighborhood, the Gal that lives directly across the driveway from me, passed away Wednesday night. She had been in the hospital for a few days and the news was that her heart was not good but at almost 91 years old they didn't feel any kind of surgery was worth risk. She wanted to be home, so hospice was called and her family was here to care for her. Katie and I took care of getting her garbage out and getting her mail. She had a grand daughter that was here quite a lot too . May she rest in peace!

SO.... today the POTD will be finishing up a couple more aprons, and maybe getting the binding an another quilt Viv did. Next up with be another Christmas swap quilt. I didn't actually get them put together by year, so this one is all appliqued blocks. I'll post it when it's done. After that will be the Calendar swap we did last year!

time for more coffee

Wishing you all a fabulous Friday

Return to “Sew ins”