Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday, Jan 26th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Thursday, Jan 26th

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:52 am

hello from Oregon! Only 350 miles now to home.

DIANE - was it you who asked how many miles we've traveled all totaled? From our house and back to our house, we are just shy of 7,500 miles. About 1,500 miles of that was without the trailer. Seems we got around a lot during our almost 2 months in Austin! :lol: And we don't, at this time, have any big travel plans until we go back to Texas next fall (Autumn asked us to please come back. She wants a babysitter. :lol: ), we will do a few local camping trips this summer of 3 or 4 nights.

LYN - So glad you dodged the worst of the weather. In "yesteryear" appliances of all kinds were built to last. I don't know when they seemed to think it was a good idea to build in "failure dates" to ensure new sales. Or why companies thought that was a good idea. Why would I buy the same brand that just failed in a short time?? And as to irons, I suppose the hours we have them on is a lot more hours than if we just ironed a few shirts once a week. So I have to admit, a year in the life of MY iron is probably more like 5 years in a non-quilting household.

VALERIE - sorry to hear Dad is growing more tired. But at 94, it's expected. What a life he has led - and is still leading, thanks to you! I hope the caregiver works out for you. And I agree - I love early mornings. I like hearing the birds wake up and watching it get light.

VELDA - yes!! by all means! post pix of your projects!! we wanna see!

FLO - I agree, scary to put kids on school buses in snowy weather!

SUZ - so nice of you to make those memory quilts. I do get not remembering the name of the pattern of the minute! lol! Been there, not remembered that!

JANA, I'm with Chriss - one thing I didn't like about the Oliso was the legs. It was hard to get used to. I kept moving it too quickly and snagging my fabric with one of the legs. But then, after it died and I went back to a regular iron, I did keep leaving it down! Arghhh....

LOIS - I love my small travel iron for quilting for same reasons you cited. But it's nice to have the bigger ones for larger ironing jobs.

CHRISS - Your QOV quilt is really nice! I especially like the two patriotic doggies. ;) I guess I'm lucky. When Bill is sick I have no problem getting him to go to the doc or ER. He will even make all his own appts! But when people who's respiratory system is already compromised (smokers!) and they find it hard to breathe for whatever reason, they should get help immediately. It doesn't take much to occlude the airway completely. Then you are in real trouble - especially if you live out in the boonies where EMS can't get to you for a bit. Do you know CPR?? If not, talk to your fire department. Most give classes.

SHERRY - Retirement is great, is it not?? And there is seldom anything in the mail anymore worth braving 4" of snow! Good call!

KATY - I'm glad you're OK with your snow. I love snow! Hope Jim's blood work got done and it all came back good.

JUDI - happy birthday to Ryker! CAn't believe that little baby is already 7 yrs old! Hope you get to go to his birthday celebration, but if not, you can make another one in a few days just for him and he'll like that! It will make his birthday last longer. I do use steam in my iron but regular water. I'm too cheap to buy distilled and too lazy to distill my own. :lol: But I do use cheap irons - now! lol!

Today is home day! And our friends, Tex and Annette, called and said they want to bring supper over. Very nice of them. Our other friends have been getting our mail and picking up packages while we've been gone and we see on our security cameras that he blew the leaves off our driveway so it will look nice when we drive down our road. We are blessed with some wonderful friends.

See you down the road!
mary z
>^+^<
I always add the kitty at the end partly because I'm obsessed with cats, but partly because Foxy is ALWAYS on my lap when I chat with you all! He would say hi, but really, he's all about the movement on the screen. :lol:

grammiequilts

Re: Thursday, Jan 26th

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:16 am

Good mornng Hooray for being on the way home Mary.....clicking those ruby slippers......
Ken is home today for what ever reason. So I will get laundry done and run up to the credit union. I may stop at the store but I have food to use , so I think we will have breakfast for supper tonight, a couple of bathrooms to clean...and sewing to do...it never ends but it is fun to do.. I do need to make a return from Amazon...I bought a mirror for above my fireplace..and it is too big,,,so I think I will try hobby lobby for the size I need...or maybe order the correct size from amazon again...but the return might need Ken to assist...it is huge...Rykers Birthday was fun and he got all the gifts he wanted,,,
I will cut more sashing for jane today while the maytag dances...but I need coffee to motivate me now. hope your day goes well and your weather is good...I need to check ours to see if we are getting more snow...we got about 6 inches yesterday,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:29 am

JUDI - yes, the ruby slippers worked! We just have to get through Portland and then Tacoma. You day sounds so nice and normal to me! A few errands, a few uglies, and a lot of sewing! Glad you got to get to Ryker's birthday party. I bet he was thrilled!

We have elderly friends in Texas (married 64 years) and we just this minute learned they are both extremely sick with Covid. At their age and coupled with other health problems, we're worried about them. We didn't see any of our Texas friends except Cindy because Covid is raging down there right now (plus we had it ourselves for 2 weeks). And in the last 10 days we've learned that at home, 2 friends have pneumonia, 1 has terminal cancer, 1 has a mysterious blood dyscrasia, and Bill's sister is also very sick. And we have two other friends who just got over Covid. I would seem we have a lot of praying to do.

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:56 am

Home again home again woo hoo Mary πŸ˜€

Well construction remodels done. Here is link to pictures if want to see new floors and my stairwell. Now to dust, mop, and clean house. So much was in way with materials and he had my floors covered with paper due to painting and in and out cutting.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/JyyqxMM

Yesterday had 50 mph winds took down tree onto our power line and two more trees were down on main highway so we were out of power from 12-330 . Crazy day for sure
Today just cold

Nothing else new here gotta get to work
Hugs πŸ€— prayers πŸ™ happy stitches 🧡
🐐izzy

velvet

Post by velvet » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:20 am

I hope everyone went thru the storm without too much problems. Here we got rain and then rain bands that were scary. It rumbled for a while but we had no problems. Now it is sunny and hopefully will be this way for the day. I'm working on DD ann. quilt and have about half the blocks done. I have to press them all and lay them out on the bed to see how they look. The spare bedroom has a king bed in it so it has become my design spot for big projects. I have a 4x4 board in the sewing room for smaller pieces.

7500 hundred miles and no accidents. YAHOO!!! Welcome back home.

Enjoy your day
Diane

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:07 am

Good morning

Just a quick hello I have some uglies to do and my bed needs to be stripped and I have sheets to wash.
This afternoon we are going to bed bath and beyond I'm in the market for a new crock pot
The one I have I bought from Walmart never again will I buy a small appliance from them again I had that 1 for about 4 years and it dosent work right so I will go get 1 from there.
Mary so happy you'll be home soon and what makes it better your wonderful friends are bringing you dinner I bet the fur kids will be happy to be home also.

Well thats all the news from here.
Have a great day.
Prayers go out to all .
Lois

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:25 am

Morning
Roads clear from yesterday's snow. Joe was home by noon.
Today I am meeting a friend for lunch, she is having a treadmill stress test. After that I will start making a new purse. This one will be in breast cancer fabrics.
Have a sew great day
Flo

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:46 am

Good morning!

Cold and a bit of fresh new snow. Such a nice thing! Daniel sweeps the walks between here and Sandee's, so Karlie has a clear path each morning.

So not much going on here. We need a few groceries today.

Stay safe,
Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:15 am

Good morning. Another beautiful day here today. We should see the mid 50's before it's all over.

I had a zoom meeting yesterday for the Commission on Aging. The person who nominated me as chairperson said that I bring a positive attitude and fresh outlook to the commission. I don't get a lot of compliments and felt quite humbled. I was voted as chairperson into this commission that I was appointed to and now will lead the quarterly meetings.

Two, what I think might be fun, free sew alongs coming up. One from Material Grifriends called I Love Us All Year Around. the second is from Suzy's Sitcom and called Tweet as Honey Sew Along. I am not sure if I will make the quilts but will collect the patterns.

Today might be a trip to the dump. Usually, Jerry drops me off at the SPCA sale on his way to the dump. Today I will likely be the one dumping the trash. He is still a bit winded when he does anything that exerts himself. The dump isn't my favorite, but it won't last forever.

Tax stuff is coming in the mail. I had zero income last year so don't have any documents needing to be put on the tax form, Jerry only has SS and his retirement so we may just take the basic deductions and file the short form. It's good to simplify.

Valerie, glad dad's wound isn't getting worse. If I lived closer, I would help. Hoping you find a caregiver who works well for you. I think I could probably get up off of a step, but the bathtub is a completely different story.

Maryz, yay, almost home, and how nice that you will be provided with a clear driveway and dinner. Yes, those dog blocks are adorable. Surprisingly that quilt is folded out of the reach of the dog. When I told Jerry how I came upon the blocks and who made each one he was amazed.

Judi, ok, ok, I will go start a load of laundry. I sorted it yesterday and have a basket ready, be right back. There, did you miss me? Glad Ryker had a great birthday. How is Sophia? She is my favorite.

Izzy, beautiful floors. I'd like to have new flooring but probably won't get any. I'd like to have new kitchen counters too, but again, probably isn't going to happen. Wow, that is some serious wind.

Diane, what colors are you using in the anniversary quilt? She will love it, what a treasure. Yes, it was a warm fuzzy feeling giving that quilt to Jerry. He is quite protective of it. Thank you for direction on the QOV site and registering it, and for the label.

Lois, when I answer these posts here I scroll from bottom to top, the word pot caught my eye in your post and reminded me of a joke I saw on FB. It said, I will never eat edibles before watching a movie. I had the sound on mute and thought I was deaf. Hope you find the perfect crock pot. A lot of bed and bath stores here have closed. the nearest one is about 1 1/2 hours away.

Flo, as a purseaholic I would love to see the purse when you are done making it. Purses and Shoes are my thing.

Jana, it's a bit cold here but not nearly as cold as it is there. Happy grocery shopping.

I am now ready to start my day. Hope you all have a very wonderful day.

Chriss
Psalm 91

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:57 am

Good Late Morning

Just Had to take my shower...couldn't stand myself any longer!

Maryz... I bet you are clicking those ruby slippers faster the closer you get to home! Nice that you will have supper all taken care of! And I just know you are anxious to get in your sewing room again... If I was closer, I'd come help you "un-do" the camper!

Judi... Can you take your Amazon returns to the a local Kohl's store? I rarely return stuff to Amazon, but it's pretty handy that you can send stuff back through Kohls. It's so handy to order stuff from Amazon, but it sucks when the CC bill comes and you've forgotten how much shopping you REALLY did!!

Izzy... Always fun to have a little remodel and freshen up the house..... but oh what a mess right? Dust everywhere! From pictures, it sure looks pretty! I had that kind of floor put in my kitchen and sewing room last summer and I love it! SO much easier to clean!

Diane... Is the quilt for your DD a king size too? That's a lot of fabric to work with! I've made a queen and I know that was a challenge! It's a beautiful sunny day here too, but only 4* above zero!! Think I'll stay in today!

Lois.... You don't have good luck with Walmart Appliances? I'm kind of mad at WM since they took away all the cashiers... I'm getting to be a Target Fan much more now. Hope you find a nice new crockpot.

Flo.... Have a fun lunch! Didn't realize you guys got snow.. My BFF in Oak Grove usually texts me a weather report from MO! :-)

Jana.... I'm still trying to find somebody to pick up groceries for me too... can I give you my list? :-) When I'm out of coffee and T P I'll really have to bundle up and go out!

Chriss.... I'm getting worried about Jerry.... Has he been to the DR for a real check up lately? I was almost going to call you one day last week. I'm trying to figure out how to/where to get more help for KC. She needs an advocate and I don't think it should be me. She has a caseworker and an insurance contact, but nobody that stands up for her. No POA etc...

Speaking of KC.. I've sold a bit of her fabric... She at least has enough money to get a plane ticket to go see her folks, tho I have NO idea when/how she doing to go. She can barely walk herself and I have a sneaky feeling it might be me that takes her to the airport!

Time for more coffee! And I really need to get to work. I know I have some tax papers around here that I have get together. Then I am actually going to SEW today!!! Got the binding on one of the quilts Viv did for me, so that's my TV-watching project!

Wishing you all most awesome Thursday

Return to β€œSew ins”