Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Monday January 23rd 2023

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Monday January 23rd 2023

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:16 am

Good morning It is snow and 27 here,,,It is good to be home. I have a Dr appt this morning and laundry to do. I will need to stop at the scavenger hunt after my appt. Then home to evict the dust bunnies and cook supper...It was a weekend of eating out and not sticking to the diet. My scale had not nice things to say this morning.
Well I need to get moving Thank you for all the good tidingd to Liam and his team...They did so well....And Liam is already in high school and it doesnt seem like he should be either, He chose to stay with this travel team for one more season ( has played with some of these kids for the last 10 yrs) and will start the 10th grade with the high school team in the fall.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

QuiltGram8

Re: Monday January 23rd 2023

Post by QuiltGram8 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:58 am

Good Morning all. Judi, bet it feels good to be home. You have every right to be so proud of Liam. What a great kid. So ambitious.
Those dust bunnies multiply just like their living counterparts. Ha, ha,. It keeps me hopping to keep them under control. With my allergies, it is important! In fact, we are getting an air purifier for our condo. I am hoping that will help me as well.
Tonight will be our first time back to dancing. We are both so looking forward to seeing our friends again. Will eat at a Pizza place on the way to the dance. Fun all around.
Well coffee β˜•β˜• is calling.
Be back later to read more. Have a day in stitches and fun. 🧡 πŸͺ‘
HUGS, πŸ’• Vel

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:22 am

Good morning,

JUDI - big congratulations to Liam and his team! What a note to go out on! Will others on his team be moving to the high school team with him? Hope your dr appt goes well today and you find all you need at the store and those dust bunnies hightail it on out of there!

LOIS - your elephant is cute. By "starting the boy" do you mean now you're going to do a blue one?

SUZETTE - hope you both had a better night last night.

DIANE - for your TW, are you making each block at a time or are you assembly-lining several at a time? For a project like that I usually use the assembly line method but only do about 6 to 10 at a time, depending on the block and the number I have to make. It's going to be a great quilt!

VELDA - that was a great idea - to recover your mom's pillow. But I would have left her cover under yours with a small label. But I'm a sentimental saver of stuff. I have a crocheted pillow cover that I think my mom made (I found it in her sewing stuff after she died in 1989). I keep planning to make a pillow out of it. You've reminded me of this project that I've had tucked up on a closet shelf in my sewing room for years. Maybe I'll get it down and finally do it this year! If you get an air purifier, I'd be interested to know how it works. Have fun at the dance!

VAL - sounds like Zach just might work out well for you. Here's hoping. How is your Starry Night going? You mentioned working on the buildings. That was my favorite block to do. I think it was the colors and the textures of the fabrics I used. Grunge fabrics worked very well for those. How are you feeling? I'll be looking for Feb's lotto block soon. :D

TINA B - I don't remember what QIAD's sale price was on Scrappiness/Happiness book. My book is in the truck at the moment and I'm in the trailer, still in robe and slippers, and a huge cat on my lap who must not be disturbed. House rule. But I'll see if I tucked my sales receipt in the book when we get in the truck later this morning. I usually do that for some reason I don't understand myself.

FLO - happy haircut! I got my hair cut just before we left at a very high end salon - finally using a $100 gift cert I was given before the pandemic hit. This cut cost $111 plus tip. It was cute for about a minute. I finally had to start trimming here and there myself using my office scissors. It's looking sort of OK now but I'll be glad to get back to my regular stylist at home where my cuts are only $25 and last for at least 3 months.

JANA - how is your voice? I suppose watching your Niners play yesterday didn't help your larynx any! It's hot tea with honey for you today! lol!

We got across the Mojave yesterday before winds hit. Yay, us!! We're staying a second night here, parked in the orange grove to rest my driver. We're able to pick oranges, too, so we'll be taking some home with us. Yesterday we were set up in plenty of time to watch football. And I also got out my last few blocks of North Stars - foxes and reindeer - and worked on them, just cutting pieces. I think I can finish up the cutting on that project this afternoon so all blocks will be cut and ready to sew when I get back to it. We're going out for diesel today, and to look up Cherry Berry quilt shop. Usually we're able to sit out and bask in some winter sunshine here but not this visit. Too cold. Tomorrow we'll get an early start (though we always get an early start because we are early people) and make our final push for home. Yay for home!

Have a marvy Monday!

mary z
>^+^<

velvet

Post by velvet » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:25 am

Good morn to all.
Today I have the doctor to fit a new mouth piece for nights. Fun fun and more fun. The last 2 I had got RUST in the hinge--how does that happen?? I'll take aspirins before I go. Then its back to the beginning numbers for the adjustments. After a year I had hoped it was where they should be for good. Oh well, I'll have to soothe myself and sew.
I have rotary cut thru my nail (pointer finger) very close call. Then I cut thru a new tablecloth-went off the mat and oops. I have had my share of nicks and band-aids sometimes are my best friend. I know of friends who have been seriously injured and needed surgeries for hand damages by grabbing open cutters. I've heard of some whose cutter had been left in open position and fell off the table causing injury to toes. Please be very careful with cutters.
I'll check back later to catch up.
Diane

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:32 am

DIANE - I hope your cut isn't serious, though if it's in the nail, it will be there until the nail grows out. We should all use those safety gloves. Maybe QIAD will offer a sale on them if they read today's forum. And for the very reason you cited, we should all wear shoes in our sewing rooms. Just in case we drop our cutters. I don't have the gloves and I usually don't wear shoes either but this is good reminder for us all to be safe. I'm working hard to remember to close my cutter every time I lay it down.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:23 am

Good morning. I wish you girls could see my beautiful blue and pink sky, it's going to be a gorgeous day today. I like when things wake up and start moving outside.

Well, it appears I won't be taking over the living room as my sewing room. Jerry is going to live. He still wants to go to the doctor but I'm not sure why. Seems if you are feeling better, you just need to wait and get better.

I did get to sew some yesterday. Two things I learned and will pass on to you. One, lower the presser foot before sewing. Two, when replacing rotary cutter blades two do not work better than one, ask me how I know. ugh.

Judi, what? you are evicting dust bunnies? it's cold outside and even dust bunnies deserve to be warm. My scale was less that flattering this morning too. Lets both get our butts in gear and get on track.

Velda, pizza and a dance, it's fun to be you.

Maryz, happy orange picking and home heading. I imagine the last 100 miles is like when the horses smell the water, full speed ahead.

Diane, hoping that your rotary cutter and you can go back to being friends, no more slip ups. please read my advice above about using only one blade

Jana, was there a game yesterday, ha ha. congrats to your niners. I loved the bumbling catch that one guy did. I bet you held your breath. I think he is the same guy who makes faces in the camera and made me laugh. I like him.

Lori, between WebMD and the commercials on tv everything leads to death.

Almost time to start my day. I hope your day is filled with fun.

Chriss
Psalm 91

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:44 am

Good morning quilting world 🌎!

Going to be a good day here too. Supposed to get to 63. Cold now but that's okay. Afternoon sun is starting to dry things out. No more standing water in my yard.

Judi it's hard to think of Liam as 10th grade. Where does the time go. Is he thinking about college yet or maybe wait a year?

Vel I have thought about an air purifier too. I have asthma. This past cold really kicked my you know what and I have wondered would it have been so bad if I didn't have asthma. Who know

Mary the only real problem with Zach is his Autism. He has trouble staying focused and finishing tasks. He is good when I am here but I would never be able to leave for any length of time. For Sundays I think it is great. I really want to be able to go to my sewing sessions though. I will figure it out. I have my Donkey all cut out, will take tomorrow to start sewing it. Pulled a bunch of fabrics yesterday to audition for buildings. I was sorting fabric and found some that might be better than my original choices. Just need to make that final decision.

Chriss glad to hear Jerry is feeling better but sorry about your sewing room. The best laid plans.........
Thank you so much for the sewing tips. It never hurts to have reminders. I seem to forget the basics myself at times.

I don't follow football like I used to but am very happy with the 49er win. I think they need to win it all so the Brock story ends on a happy note. 😊

Well I've a list of things to do today so best get started. Have a great day everyone
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:02 am

Good morning!

Listen, the hills are alive with the sound of music, my heart like to sing like a bird! I have a voice back! Even after yelling at the TV watching the game! Yes, Chriss, I love that guy too, his name is George Kittle. I just happen to wear his jersey here watching the games. He's a hoot! My jersey is hung up, ready and waiting for Sunday's game.

Today the Solara goes to the shop for tires and some engine sensor thingys. Then we come home and I straighten a bit and then go play with fabric.

Aaron and family went down to see Kate's family in St George. A member of the family works up at a ski resort, so they all went to learn how to fall down, oops, ski! And the one that caught on the quickest was Lila. She was zipping down the bunny hill like a pro! She loved skiing. Of course, she's my daredevil! Gracie, no way, full blown melt down, tears, everything. No way is she ever going to learn to fall down. I saw videos and will wait to hear their tales of skiing.

Well, it's off take the car down. Oh, we are kicking around the idea of selling our little truck. Aaron is buying a big truck to haul his family and camping gear, so it won't be needed. There are four cars at Sarah's, three at Matt's, with assorted trailers, side by side , Daniel has a collection of five vehicles and we have three. Oh, Sandee has the big RV, and two cars and is getting a new truck. Can you say, used car lot? LOL! Daniel collects cars, Matt collects trailers just like we collect fabric, boy are they in trouble!

Stay safe,
Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:49 am

Good Morning Girls

A brief hello this morning and I am waiting the arrival of my own personal furnace repairman... Kris's dad Tom! Woke up to 62* in the house so it's a tad chilly and luckily Tom and Viv are in town. I have this awful feeling that my 24 year old furnace has died! I only mourn the fact that it means a big bite out of the budget for a new one! But I knew that going in so though I don't have a spare 10 grand around...

Will come back later.....

Ok,,,,, I'm back!! So glad Tom was in town to fix my furnace... it's actually warming up in here now.. Tom worked as a HVAC repairman for 40 years so he knows a thing or two about furnaces and appliances!!

So since it's almost 11 am and I haven't done a thing, time to warm up the coffee and crank up the music and get to work. I've washed a huge pile of fabric that I am buying (at a super discount :-) ) so I need to iron/fold/stash away that! I'm hoping a few folks will come and check out my little store as I'd really like to get rid of all this stuff!

Hope you all have a marvelous Monday

Return to β€œSew ins”