Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Friday, Jan 20th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Friday, Jan 20th

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:10 am

Friday, January 20th
Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:00 am

Good morning,

We had a great run yesterday and even found a new route around El Paso - one of the worst cities on our route to drive through. They've built a beltway that partially encircles the city and was wide open sailing. And the last part of it was a beautiful mountainous drive with gorgeous views. And just like that - Poof! We were through El Paso! We spent the night in Deming, NM, took a pizza over to Tina's, 3 miles away, and had lunch and a visit with her and Frankie. She had just injured her knee and wasn't feeling too hotsy totsy, so we kept it short so she could lie down. Today we'll be passing through Tucson, Arizona and staying at a campground just north of Gila Bend called Painted Rocks. It is a big pile of rocks with ancient Indian drawings, like Egyptian heiroglyphics. We've stayed there many times over the years, one of our favorite places. No power and water but such a pretty place, nice campground, and only $4 for senior citizens. Plus, the rocks are always interesting. And miles of ATV trails which was mega fun back when we had our side by side ATV.

IZZY - You are going to have a lot of new mouths to feed soon! Won't it be nice to finally have your house all done. We have friends who put a chair lift in their house and it works great for them! I'm sure it will for you, too. We had other friends who, when building their 3-story house, had a real elevator put in. It was funny because their Siamese cat quickly learned to use the elevator instead of stairs and when she wanted to go up or down she would sit in front of the doors and meow instead of using the stairs.

MARY Q - I made a note of your iron in my phone notepad. Next time I go iron shopping, I'm going to look for it. So how goes your own personal little quilt shop? Are you going to set a day for the 'sale'? Will you move it all out to the garage that day so you don't have strangers in your house, possibly casing the joint?
Maybe after you and Viv 'shop' there won't be a need for a sale? How much is KC charging for her fabric?

KATHY - that story about the missing mom has been making news all over the country. It's been a top story everywhere we've traveled. Such a sad and heinous crime. Are those meals delivered to your door like Meals on Wheels or one of those companies that send all the ingredients you need to make them yourself? Or are they frozen from the store? Or ??? Sounds kind of ideal. Now that you mention it I remember Pam had a peach cobbler recipe on the Recipe section of Chit Chat. I should go look it up. In fact, I should peruse all the recipes there. I know there's some good ones!

JANA - happy yesterday to Daniel! He is going to love his new Jeep! And his old one! Jeeps have always been in my brother, Jim's family ever since he came home from the Navy with a WWII era model in 1961. It was red of course, and called "Red Devil". They liked working on their Jeeps as much as driving them on long campouts in the mountains. Daniel will be having some serious fun!

JUDI - I'm going to have fun sitting on the sidelines and watching your Jane Austen quilt take shape! Have fun on your trip and I hope you don't get snowed in! Good luck to Liam and his team.

FLO - glad that thread is ordered! Do you buy regular spools or cones? I order cones of neutral colors, black, and white from Superior Threads about once a year. But my colors are normal sized spools, usually Gutterman that I get at Joann's with coupons.

SUZ - well???? Did you get it?? Bill looked up that machine and we both checked it out. It's very nearly my machine. I have a 430 and love it. Mine is 4 yrs old. It's heavy but that's because it's mostly all metal parts, not plastic. I didn't get the QE model.

LOIS - are you sewing today?

CHRISS - Is life back to normal yet for you? Any more rain headed your, and then our, way?? We will be in California tomorrow night! Yay!

I've been lucky to have my computer and internet most of our trip. A day without a chat with all y'all is like a day with no friends. So, my Friends, go have a groovy day and make some fun!

mary z
>^+^<

fabricgirl

Re: Friday, Jan 20th

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:58 am

Good morning Mary,

Yes I am going to try and sew after while Bill has a few phone calls to make then we have a couple of errands to run 1being the UPS store to send back my project iron.
Then when we get back I will iron the Elephant on to the background .
Mary so glad you found the other route and you had a nice visit with Tina .

Tina I hope you feel better real soon.

Well thats my day I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:43 am

Posting on my phone from Sault St Marie. We had a change of plans. And left last night got up here about 1030. It’s a long story but seems Colleens Mil couldn’t handle the schedule so Jeff stayed home ( he was swamped at his job) and Colleen works remote so she will work up here today while we show Liam the sites. The locks are closed for the season but there is plenty to see. Game is not til 4 this afternoon. We will have a late lunch and a late supper. It’s all part of the adventure. Right now heading to the lobby for breakfast and coffee. Hope you all have a great day. It is 14 here and partly cloudy. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:07 am

Good morning Mary and all that follow
Maryz Glad you are making progress on your journey home. Stay safe . I would love to take a trip somewhere.
Yesterday made my weekly trip to grocery stores. Amazingly only spent 36 dollars. Would not have spent that much but got some stuff from deli for lunch. But I did forget the progresso soup that was on sale. I have about 28 cans in my pantry so I really did not need it. But it was buy 1 get 2 free. O well.
I got another guild block started. I finished Jauarys block. We are working on Sherri McConnell 's block of the month for 2022 . I have kind of decided to work on her 2023 block of the month. But I think I want to do it in some new fabric. Maybe I just want to go to a quilt shop. LOl The blocks I am working on now I am using left over chicken fabric and a charm pack.
Today is cleaning day the bathroom is calling my name. I got out of freezer a large bowl of my homemade veggie beef soup. Then I will get to sew after I play with Barny.

Judi Glad you had a safe trip. Enjoy the game .
Lois What kind of iron are you returning. And was it not working correctly or you just did not like it.

As you might know we here in Illinois are having a weird winter. What I mean is no Snow and warm temps. I am not complaining. But I am wondering what our summer will be like. One summer a few years back was like in the 60s and 70s all summer. Rather cool for that season.
As a gardener I prefer normal weather .
I am off to do my choeres and play with my fluff ball.
You all have a great sewing day
Katy

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:12 am

Good morning and Happy Friday to you all. I guess I missed coming here yesterday. It was a busy day. Home Hospice aide came for Dad's bath, then my car to the shop for new shock absorbers and rear brake light assembly. Then the Hospice nurse came. Then to the base and pick up Dad's meds and get some groceries. By the time all that was done, so was I. I am also working 10 - 12 hours shifts right now as evening nurse is on vacation. Knock on wood, no calls so far last night.

Dad has a wound on his backside that just will not heal. He has had since he was on home health. So the nurse said we really have to reposition him every 2 hours and he will spend a good part of the day in bed on his side. He is not opposed to that but I am afraid he will loose even more mobility so caught between a rock and hard place. Caregiver who has always been excellent is starting to slack. She has another job (I am not supposed to know that) I am lining up a visit with a girl next week to interview.

Maryz sounds like you are having a good trip. So sorry to hear Tina is hurt. I have heard of Painted Rocks but have never been there. It sounds wonderful. How funny, an elevator cat! Animals are so much smarter than we think. Yes, it is very hard to carve out Valerie time which is why I sometimes stay up a couple of hours at night. My favorite time of the week is Sunday AM between 6 and 8. Just me and Dad and he doesn't usually get up before 8. I do have a young man coming on Sundays from 8 to about 1 to help me out. He is autistic but learning quickly and very patient. He is so excited he can do Dad's blood sugar now.

Oh Izzy yes, lots of babies. They are so cute. I now you post some pics for us. Hoping Bill is on the mend soon. My one lady I see in the daytime has one of those lifts. I would like to try it. Luckily I have only 1 floor so won't need one.

Maryq I have not had a lot of luck with irons myself. I had one years ago, a black and decker and every since it died (it worked for years and years) I have not found one I really like. I have a Rowenta now which has been good for a few years but it is heavy. It tires me out.

Kathy did you get your snow? We are finally past all our rain and will be sunny but cold. With no rain, we drop at night especially.

Jana sounds like a good deal on the jeep. Glad he is happy with it. You must rest Jana with this whatever it is that's going around. Heading into four weeks with mine and still coughing and tiring easy. Dad's nurse said it took her 5 weeks to get past it. UGH!

Judi how was your ravioli? I have not had ravioli in I don't know when. There is a great Italian deli near the LQS in Vacaville that makes it. I might just pick some up next week when I am there. I am going to try and go back to my sewing sessions.

Chriss how are you. Is driveway finalized/fixed yet? Glad you were able to get some propane. I would not be able to be without the heater. Dad would freeze.

Well it's getting later, need to get some breakfast. I have a meeting at work today and then to see my little lady for my day job. They are thinking of taking her off Hospice and if so, that's a good time for me to leave that job. Those few extra bucks have been nice but I think I am done with the second job.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:23 am

Katy it's a small project iron by oliso its not steaming this is the second iron going back I only hope the 3rd time will be a charm .

Lois

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:09 am

Good morning!

Still climbing back to being normal. Not that I was all that normal before, but doing a bit better everyday.

Not much to report - Sarah's kitchen is progressing. Daniel loves his toy. And Aaron just helps all over town.

Frankenjeep is now a project car, to be worked on, like one of our quilts, PIGS - our term, project in grocery sack, Daniel's translation, Project in garage stall. This weekend he and Stuart will finish the loft storage area at Sandee's house. He and Stuart have stepped up to help a lot since we lost Scott.

Safe travels, stay warm, and keep smiling, makes them wonder what we're up to!

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:18 am

Good Morning All

I'm heading out this morning, so will try to type fast so I can chat with y'all,

Maryz.... Yes it looks a little like a LQS here, I have one little table in here piled high and Katie next door is going to loan me another one when I get home this afternoon. We are selling all the yardage for $3.50 a yard, but there are lots of kits and packages of similar fabric in zippie bags that I'm just kind of randomly pricing. The sale will be by appointment only as it's too cold in the garage to set up everything out there. What doesn't go in the next week or two I'll probably take down to WI in May and after that it's anybody's guess what will happen to it all. It's local people only, not posting it on FB to far away area groups. Glad you got to see Tina, even for a little bit... where will you be tonight?

Lois.... Are you doing that Elephant with all the different fabrics applique with like a spray of water above and around it? I think I have that pattern... it's on my "bucket list"!!!

Judi.... hope you can take lots of videos of Liam's game to share with Jeff. For my Nolan's game, there's a Dad that has all the video equipment, so he tapes all the games and I think he puts them on Youtube for folks to see!

Katy... How do you possibly spend only $36 at the grocery store? That's what, a loaf of bread, a dozen eggs, and pound of hamburger and a can of coffee? I think I spend more at the grocery store now than I did when I was buying 8 boxes of cereal every 2 weeks!!

Valerie.... Do you know why, on an airplane, they tell you to put your oxygen mask on FIRST! ? You can't help anybody else if you can breathe yourself. SO please take care of you too!!! Can hospice help you find any caregivers for Dad? Do they have access to that kind of help for you? Forgot to the tell you ... the "Kittie" arrived! :-)

Jana.... Did I miss it? Did you catch a bug? Not flu I hope. Both Jen and her DH got Flu-A and Jen said she'd never been that sick in her whole life... nothing to mess with I guess!! Are Daniel and Katie looking to buy a place of their own?

We got about 5-6" of new snow between Wednesday and Thursday, but it looks like the roads are good and dry this morning. It's great to be able to see the traffic cameras online before I head out. I talked to KC last night and she has completely emptied that black shelving unit I posted a picture of, so I'm kind of nervous about what I will find when I get there. Cross your fingers for me!

Wishing you all a Fabulous Friday

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:50 am

Good morning. What a beautiful day this day will be. We are a chilly 37* now and should see the mid 50's for the rest of the month. The blue is peeking out behind the white clouds that are moving pretty swiftly across the sky. Keep on moving clouds, let that sun show through.

Jerry has the crud again. I'm not sure how he caught it since he's pretty much been home. He's had Covid a few times and blames his unhealthiness on the fact that he is a former smoker. I think that Covid is part of the problem, but I think his almost sedate lifestyle adds to it. He gets out of breath quickly and is sick more often than he used to be. I know when he is sick because of the sounds he makes with every move.

HAH! I just looked to see what I missed yesterday, and I see I missed everything. Oopsie, forgot to come here. Guess I missed it all. But I did get my quilt squared up and the strips cut to make the binding. I hate measuring. So, I am hoping I have enough binding strips cut. Time will tell. Today the plan is to sew it into one long strip, iron it then sew it on. Hope I get it done.

Maryz, yes, life is back to normal and there is no rain predicted for the rest of this month. However, the next few days are supposed to be really cold overnight. Those couple of weeks of rainstorms, being low on propane and no heat sure helped me to realize how blessed I truly am. So glad you are through El Paseo. Nice that they built that freeway lane just for you.

Lois, I have a few errands to run also. Can you pick me up on your way out? Sorry about the iron. I never bought an Oliso because I wasn't going to spend that much money on an iron. I have had a couple of Rowenta's and they both leaked. I finally went to Amazon and found the cheapest iron I could find with the most watts. I think I paid about $25 but so far it works well.

Judi, Sorry the MIL put a speed bump in the plans. Enjoy the sightseeing and the game.

Katy, normal weather and normal seasons would be a very welcome change. Not sure we even know what normal weather is anymore. I love block of the month programs. There are a few on Facebook that I follow.

Valerie, yes, my driveway is fixed, we are waiting for the ground to dry out before using it. Jerry can cross it in 4 wheel drive but my car is iffy so I will wait. I was lucky while we didn't have heat. The temp didn't get below 60 and I have flannel lined jeans. but the cold was felt. Why are they taking your client off of Hospice? Glad you are quitting the second job, the time will likely be needed to care for your dad. Kind of crummy that the health care person isn't giving you a heads up that she is looking for a job. I have to say it's good to see you here more often, you must be feeling a bit better.

Jana, glad to hear you are feeling better.

Maryq, wow, KC emptied that shelf unit? what a job. I am looking forward to seeing what all is for sale, I bet that will be a crazy picture or set of pictures. As much as I would like to shop the sale I am also thinking that postage would be quite costly. So glad YOU got the snow.

Suzette, I've seen those machines, they are very pretty. I hope you love it if you get it.

Flo, I am glad I read your post from yesterday. I need thread too. I have no Navy thread and would like it to sew this binding on. I also need to go to town for groceries. Just hope Jerry is alive when I get back.

Kathy, glad you have a meal delivery service. I am out of the delivery radius so can't take advantage of what is offered for my county. I can so see you cruising around town in a red car. Did the cable get fixed or do you need a new TV?

Here I go, breakfast first, then getting dressed and going into town. Jerry will add to my grocery list. I hope you all have a beautiful day

Chriss
Exodus 33:14

Return to “Sew ins”