Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tuesday, January 17

Daily discussions.
suzette58

Tuesday, January 17

Post by suzette58 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:42 am

Good morning everyone.
Well good news for me yesterday. The ring I sent via FEDEX arrived finally. I will never use them again. I spent most of the day in my sewing room working on the memory quilt for my friend and I plan on doing the same today. I does me good to do that. We are supposed to get rain this morning but it looks dry outside. Well, I need to get another cup of coffee. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Suzette

fabricgirl

Re: Tuesday, January 17

Post by fabricgirl » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:16 am

Good morning,

Today there will be a trip to hobby lobby I was there 2 weeks ago and they had no batting that I wanted or backing I wanted so we will see what they have today that will be my walk while Bill is at the gym :lol: .
Mary Q that is a pretty picture of fabric I wish I lived close by so I could shop.

Well thats all the news here I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:58 am

Good Tuesday Morning to all of you. Today is the grocery scavenger hunt. We like to go at 7 am. Less people in the store at that time. In fact the only register they have open at the witching hour is the 10 items or less. Ha, ha, we always have a cart full. We take two carts and DH puts the bags in one, while I unload the other on the small counter area. It works great for us. Then we return one empty cart on our way out the door.
Sewing a lap quilt for a neighbor friend. I did one on Friday with the fabric scraps gifted to me. There's enough to do one more lap quilt for our other friend. Both these ladies live alone and are in their 90's. I know they will enjoy and extra quilt to cuddle under.
Now finish coffee and get exercise done and off to the store.
Have SEW much fun today!!
HUGS, 💕 Vel

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:44 am

Good morning,

SUZETTE - so glad your package arrived. There are some odd shipping practices lately. When we ordered a gift for A&A it took two weeks. We followed it with a tracking # and it started out with Fed Ex, then was handed over to a company we'd never heard of before, went back and forth, zig-zagging it's way to Texas, and finally was delivered by USPS. Two weeks! We'd about given up and thought that we'd been scammed.

LOIS - I hope you find everything you're looking for at Hobby Lobby. Does QIAD sell wide backs? I don't recall ever seeing them, but Keepsake Quilting does and has frequent sales and a huge variety. I usually piece my backings, but wide backs are a real treat. Did I tell you that I ordered Sparrows? Q had it on sale the other day with free shipping. I couldn't resist. I'll add it to my pattern stash for maybe someday God only knows when.

VALERIE - I'm so sorry to hear you relapsed. Maybe you have RSV? Have you been flu-tested? How is Dad? Has he gotten it?

JANA - I hope you are soon feeling better, too. I believe you are so right about CA's water situation. When we travel the length of California we can see every year it's getting worse and worse. It hurts my heart to see once verdant fields let go to sagebrush and piles of dead fruit trees they've pulled out of what was once beautiful orchards. And all the angry signs farmers have posted along the highway voicing their feelings about how the water is managed. But hopefully, despite all the problems the current storms are bringing, perhaps the snowpack in the Seirras will help everyone.

CHRISS - thank you for all the water. But it's the wind we are the most (un)grateful for! Though I think Flagstaff might say snow. They got 18"! And we were hoping to go that route! Thank goodness we had time to change our minds! And I thought that bullet train was put on hold. You didn't pray for that, too, did you?? :lol: I was wondering how your parents were doing with all the flooding and if you'd been able to see them. I guess not. And don't forget - our bodies do need some carbs. Just not as many as most of us eat. And beans are an excellent source of all kinds of nutrition so might be worth the carb count.

KATY your flock is coming right along! This has been a fun project. For me, anyway! It was Chriss who wanted rain. I remember her saying so. Well, she got her wish!! In spades! Good to hear Jim and and Barny are both doing well. And you will have your pantry and freezer stocked! I'll be needing to do that when we get home.

TINA B - I think I made that Goodnight Irene quilt about 4 years ago as a comfort quilt. I loved it because it was a great scrapbuster. I looked up your Brightly and it's also a quilt that could easily go on my to-do list! And I can't toss fabric either, though I no longer save anything under 2". I've made 3 postage stamp quilts from 1-1/2" squares. I used them as jump scraps before I got a machine with an automatic thread cutter. It usually took me about 8 or 9 months, but I would eventually get a quilt done while working on other projects.

MARY Q - I hope all that fabric goes quickly! You have enough of your own to live around! You are really carrying that phrase "fondle some fabric" to the extreme! :lol: I tried sorting out my huge stash two years ago. I had 3 pieces I gave away. That was it. I guess I'm taking it all with me! And yes, there are routes home we could take. And right now they are all snowy or mountainy. So we'll take our chances with CA. I-5 is straight up the middle of the state - not on the coast and not in the mtns. I suspect it will be OK. If not, we can always wait it out. We carry a house with us for just such occasions.

KATHY - so sorry to hear about all the health problems in your family. Where do your sister and SIL live? But good news about you and Kimberly! Keep up that good work! And yes, it's hard to cook for one. I've seen frozen meals for one in the store. Are they any good? I'm afraid that's what I'd live off of.

JUDI - welcome home! Sorry the maid forgot to stop by, but you'll get caught up soon. You do love hockey! There is no hockey in my area. Seattle did just get a pro team a year or two ago though. But if there are any rinks around for kids to play on, I've never heard about them.

FLO - nice day with the kids. And we only have valances in our house. We have a split level so on the bottom level we have wooden blinds we can pull if we want, but we live in the woods so usually don't bother. Upstairs our windows are so high that no one can see in them anyway so just valances. In my quilting room, the valance is made from log cabin blocks. I purchased the valance, didn't make it myself.

DIANE - sorry about the borders. I was wondering if, instead of removing all the borders, if you could simply design a block for each corner and add it on. Or flying geese, or ?? Depending on size you need.

VELDA - we also try to shop as soon as the stores open. I love shopping with no one else in the store. How big are you making your lap quilts? To me a lap quilt is just that - it goes over your lap, about the size of a baby quilt. But some folks call, what I would term "throws" as lap quilts. I'm just curious.

We spent the night in Abilene KOA. Winds were 20mph when we pulled in at 3pm yesterday but the temp was 74* and it wasn't too bad sitting out for an hour or so and relaxing after a 360 mile drive. Today we'll be moving further west and probably spend the night in a town called Van Horn, TX (330 mi). That's about where the time zone changes so we might even gain an hour! Hooray! But high winds are predicted for today so if we hit them (or they hit us!) we might just pull over someplace and hunker down for the day. We hit some really heavy construction yesterday for a lot of miles - in Fort Worth. Drivers in Texas don't seem to slow much for construction, though drivers in Texas don't seem to slow much for anything! It gets a little tense flying down the highway towing a 30' fiver in two packed lanes of traffic, dirt and dozers to the right and to the left, with jersey barriers inches from our sides. I keep my mouth shut so Bill can concentrate. He always gets us through! Today - no big cities. In fact, except for El Paso, no more cities until Bakersfield. Just open highway. And wind.

I hope y'all are getting some sewing in! Some for you and some for me! I can't wait to get home and re-settled and set up my machine again so I can sew for myself!

May your day be a happy one!
mary z
>^+^<

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:10 am

Morning
Maryz, only blind I ever close is in master bedroom at night. We live in the middle of 11 acres, so lots of privacy, but our north property line is high school ball field, so the lights ate frequently on at night and very bright.
Yesterday I got a lot of cleaning done, plus I got 2 enchilada casseroles in freezer.
Yesterday morning I was sitting with my coffee trying to wake up. I look out patio doors, and see 2 red fixes running in my back pasture . A few minutes later I see 3 deer walking through. Beautiful sight.
Today is grocery store...my cupboards are bare.
Flo

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:46 am

Good morning all...It is a balmy 37 this morning but we will cool off. Rain is predicted today too...We like the rain here too it stops the snow from piling up when we travel....(to and from hockey) We have a game tonight ( Ryker is playing ) I also have breakfast with my friend, She is going to FLorida the same time as we are so we will chat about that, She will fly in and we will pick her up from the airport. we rented a 4 bedroom house with a pool so she will join us there, my sister is going with us also. We have some other friends camping down there and will see them too and my younger sister who lives there,,,so it will be a fun 2 weeks. We leave in just over 2 weeks..( I should get the summer clothes out)
I am caught up with everything,,,spent the day chasing dust bunnys and dancing with the maytags...but it is done I even had a little time to cut more diamonds...they are different patterns to be bagged up and numbered,,,this quilt is like paint by numbers only with fabric....since I didnt buy all the "jane" fabric I am using what I have to closely match the colors of the original...I will need to look for a backing that will compliment these colors too or just go with a solid.
I need to get my self going,,,Hope your day is filled with adventure....and safe travels...and ful bobbins,,,,and XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:58 am

Good Morning All
Another busy day here LOL Going to clean living room , then sew a block for the guild sew along. Thanks Maryz for the charm pack You sent in my SS package. It can be worked in with the fabric I have left from my chicken quilt. Of course I have to walk Barny. Not much cooking today ,Jim has to run to town . I am going to have him pick up more eggs. You would think eggs are made of gold the price we are paying. If it keeps up I may consider getting chickens.
Maryz Hope your travels go well.
Velda I hope you find everything on your scavenger hunt. So far our shelves are full. A few things missing but not extreme. But the prices are terrible. $5.00 a dozen eggs.
Lois I have been wanting to go to hobby lobby but its like 30 miles away in a direction we never go. I need backing for a quilt . and always like to look at decorations.
I am off to walk Barny and start cleaning so I can sew

You all have a great sewing day
Katy

patches4

Post by patches4 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:23 am

Good morning
Kind of late getting here. Up too late got second wind and involved in what I was doing. It was 51 when we went to bed at 1 and now39 at 8 am and windy.
Have two errands to do then cutting fabric for the star bright quilt. Kind of nervous and worried but with all my chores done I will focus better. Have to bake and decorate a cake tomorrow but should have time to sew, rather make. A person on this blog back when I joined ( 2007) told me if have time to clean toilets you make or have time to sew.
Sew with that, going to put dinner in the crock pot and begin the day.
Blessings to all, be safe when venturing out. Take care , TinaB, Patches4

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:16 am

Judi, we're not much warmer here in SoCal at a balmy 43 this morning. I told Jack we would be walking later when it warms up a bit.
Lori 8-)

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:00 am

Good morning!

A wonderful snowy morning! It's been snowing all of yesterday and today. Up in the mountains across the valley, they have a 30 foot base, so far, this season. It is expected to be double that by April. A great start and answers to prayers! We are so grateful!

Feeling a bit better today. Not much of a cough left, but some sore ribs! Just tired.

Sewing will wait a day or so.

Be safe, warm and do fun stuff!
Hugs,
Jana

Return to “Sew ins”