Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday, Jan 13th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Thursday, Jan 13th

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:50 am

Good morning,

After two nights here in Houston, we are off to Holly Beach, Louisiana this morning for two nights parked on the Gulf coast. I had a great day with Cindy yesterday. We did some visiting, some thrift shopping, and then met Bill for dinner at Olive Garden. We got back to our trailer about 7pm. Cindy looks good though I think she is having a little trouble getting herself kick-started again after losing Don. She said her laptop is old and isn't working anymore and she can't figure his out. I gave her a hug from all y'all and delivered your messages - all of which were the same thing - "we miss you and wish you'd come back!". lol! I wasn't able to see Sue. Family was arriving from out of state yesterday and they are having a private service for Kenn today.

VELDA - I think you'll be happy with your decision to have your quilt done by someone else. The last quilt I did on my regular machine cost me more in chiropractor fees than if I'd paid to send it out.

LOIS - didn't you do the Sparrows quilt a few months back? QIAD had it on sale for 30% off yesterday, with free shipping. So I got it. It's been tempting me for over a year and the free shipping offer finally got to me.

KATY - I Googled your Chicken Salad quilt. It's cute! Are you using similar fabrics? And now you did it! You talked about washing cabinets. I had an hour to kill while Bill got our tire fixed yesterday morning so I polished all the wood cabinetry and countertops in the downstairs area of our trailer. I'll do the rest of the "house" this afternoon or tomorrow after we get set up again. They get really dusty when on the road. You are a bad influence, Katy!

CHRISS - were you able to get out your driveway yesterday? And get all those errands done? Got your lotto ticket? the most important errand! I hate errands - unless they involve something fun - like quilt, thrift, or craft stores. We keep a list on the fridge of errands to do for both of us and then go to Tacoma together about once every two weeks. I haven't seen the monarchs at Pismo Beach but I have seen the swallows at Capistrano. In Austin, TX, it's the bats that everyone comes to see. I've seen some of Ken Burns' documentaries. He also narrates audio books.

JUDI - funny about the teens - and I can say that from 2,000 miles away from your teenagers! lol! I would start getting them up half hour earlier if they want to dawdle. And knowing how teens are, you might need to come armed with some polka music to play at top volume until they are actually up! I bet they would learn to get it in gear on time then! lol!

KATHY - happy to hear you passed your inspection! Now you can go shopping! I wouldn't mind a gift card to either of those two stores! I always use my ironing board to hold the weight of a quilt. I can make it the level I need. I did one 88" quilt by hand years ago. I set up my mom's old fashioned 12-foot frame which took up half of our family room for 4 months. My hands worked better back in those days. That was my first and last quilt I ever quilted by hand.

JANA - you can add the first Tacoma Narrows Bridge, "Galloping Gerty", to you list of engineering disasters. It opened in 1940 and lasted only 4 months. I believe the video of that bridge doing it's galloping act in a big wind storm and then collapsing is often shown in engineering schools. Our friend's father took that video. It was 10 years before they opened another bridge, "Sturdy Gerty". They salvaged parts of the old bridge to use in building a bridge on the Alaska Highway.

MARY Q - 4 washer loads of new fabric?? For real?? Trains Fabric at home is having a big 40% off sale through end of January. If we get home in time . . . . . :D 🀞 :D 🀞 :D 🀞 I didn't know Ken Burns had a quilt collection. You learn new things every day! We've never had Medicare or our insurance company even call us, let alone make visits. Do you think I should be offended? Have they forgotten us?? Don't they care???

I will post a photo of Cindy and me at Olive Garden when I finish typing this. It was a good visit. Though her heart isn't into thrifting. She needs more training. Her DD has been trying . . . :lol: She also has a bad hip (bone on bone) and very arthritic shoulder so she's moving a little slowly.

Turns out our tire picked up te 4" blade of a small, rusty screw driver and it went straight into the tire right on the edge. Probably when we were going through construction on Wed. It wasn't repairable so Discount Tire replaced it. Bill always buys the extra warranty on tires and at $315 for one new tire, that $63 per tire warranty fee paid for itself and then some, We were lucky they had one in stock. And we were even luckier that the tire didn't go flat while we were driving! We try never to drive faster than our angels can fly.

Today we have only about 150 miles to go so we're going to let traffic die down before we hit the road this morning. Tomorrow our Seahawks play Jana's Forty-niners in play-offs. Crossing our fingers that we will get that game. Good luck to Jana's team! (but wishing better luck to ours!) 😜🏈

Mary Z
>^+^<

QuiltGram8

Re: Thursday, Jan 13th

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:01 am

Good morning to Maryz and all of you! I am feeling very relaxed and happy about my decision to have someone with LA to quilt for me. I have one more larger quilt to do before June of 2025. I think I should start planning. As I get older, I am loosing enthusiasm for larger than "lap and crib" size quilts. Our youngest granddaughter graduates high school and that will be the last big quilt. After that, I will be ready for those grandkids to get married and have babies. LOL. No wedding quilts, either. LOL
I got hair cut yesterday as well. Feels great to have a fresh new look. Today I am going for pedicure. No polish, just basic. I don't wear sandals or open toe shoes, but nice to be pampered with pedicure. Gets hard to do it myself.
Neighbor gave me a sack full of fabric from the thrift store that her daughter works at. It's called The Gift. Everything is FREE and donations accepted. When her daughter finds flannel, or good quilt fabrics, she brings them to me for our church. This bag had 5 squares 18", of embroidery work blocks on white. Colors rise, green and black. They were beautiful. Plus a nice assortment of pieces to coordinate with them. I made a lap quilt top and assembled a backing for it. I cut a piece of batting for it and today I will sandwich and tie it and bind it and gift it back to my neighbor as a "thank you". She will be so surprised. The rest of the pieces will be used for church quilts that were in the bag.
That's about all there is here. Looking forward to your picture with Cindy. Hope your visit will encourage her to come back to visit with all of us. We all do miss her!!
Have a day of SEW much fun!!
HUGS, πŸ’• Vel

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:11 am

Good morning Mary and all that follow

Today off to a scavanger hunt. Dont need much. But I always check the sales. and marked down fresh veggies. Kroger does have chicken for buy one and get two free. I will have to think about this. It seems I have chickens on my brain. LOL
I got all the pieces cut for my chicken quilt.{chickens Again} Plan on sewing sashing on four more chickens after I get home. Then the last four tomorrow.
Maryz I bought there quilt kit so it should look well almost like her quilt. But you have to follow the guide to piece sashing and border. I almost went with plain sashing but decided to try the pieced sashing and I like it.
Velda you sound like me. I swear I will not make anymore large quilts then one appears that I fall in love with. I do make a lot of table toppers and throws. I have three quilts now that need quilting. I need to talk to Teresa. LOL
Well ladies I am off Let the games begin
You all have a great sewing day.
Katy

Ps Mary today is Friday the 13th LOL

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:17 am

Good Morning Vel and Mary..I finally got the kids all off Nolan was up and got himself ready to go and so was Sophia....and then there is the middle kid...our Liam dawdles and has to make 3 or 4 trips back up stairs for somet5hing he forgot...then Nolan is stressing about being late and Soph retreats to the couch...to wait for them to leave...but we managed to get the last school day ( for me) I will pick up Sophia at 1130 she has a half day and a hockey game at 120p today..I will be her one fan in the stands,,,but I can yell very loud....she has another game at 5pm. Liam has a game tonight too ( I will miss that one but Ken will take him)
The weekend will be more of the same. hope your weekend will be as exciting as mine.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:28 am

Katy I agree with you. Somehow the sashing really does look great as a pieced sashing. It is a really cute pattern. Good luck with your sashing.
HUGS, πŸ’• Vel

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:49 am

Good morning!

It's nice to finally know what chicken quilt is being made - I have that pattern downloaded from Lori Holt's website. Been thinking about it...... Also I keep checking on Nancy Halvorsen's website for the next On Wander Lane-- nothing yet. The email with the information they answered me with in December, said the next - all? would be in January. I'll keep checking. The kids bought all my patterns - hard printed copies from the website and the pattern had the decorative buttons as well in it. I found in my stash a collection of fabrics I bought, that will probably be enough for this quilt. Might need to supplement a color or so, but the main fabrics are here. Can't wait to get another project started, like I need another - squirrel, look another project, squirrel another one, help, they are taking over! LOL!

Not much going on here. My laundry is caught up and so is the kitchen. Kate, the little girls and I are going shopping for a special white dress for Gracie. It's will be her 8th birthday next month and she'll be baptized a member of the church after she turns 8. So we will find her a dress. I found several, but we want her to help pick it out. I made a dress for Sarah when she was this age and we still have it. It would fit Gracie, around, but Gracie is very tall and slender. Sarah was and is short, so the dress is too short for Gracie. I still have the pattern, so with a bit of alterations could make it, if needed. But I'm sure we'll find one at the shop.

Safe travels, stay warm,
Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:31 am

Good Morning Girls

Oh where oh where has the sun gone! Anybody have an extra they can share?

Maryz... What a wonderful picture of you and Cindy! She used to chat on the forum from work so if her computer at home isn't working...that's probably why she can't get back to us! I wonder if her DGS Gavin couldn't fix her up with something? Wouldn't that be great? I could send my old one but I bet it's in worse shape than the one she has! :lol: Good thing you found the nail in the tire! and you're all fixed and ready to roll. Hope you enjoy your time in Loo-siana!

Velda... I'm with you.... I try to stay with smaller thing too. Viv quilts for me, for free, but she has done so many over the last couple years, that I'll never be able to repay her, so I try to stick with ones that I can do. I was going to have to start a wedding quilt for my niece, but that's on hold for now. :(

Katy.... good deal on chicken.... unless they are about to expire! :lol: :lol: Thanks for showing the picture of your chicken quilt.... and I reiterate.... you are crazy! But it will be a gorgeous quilt! OH OH Friday the 13th... maybe I shouldn't sew anything today... or at least not without a seam ripper close by! :lol:

Judi... I have no doubt you are the loudest gramma in the ice rink. I'm don't know that much about hockey, but when I watched my Nolan play last weekend... I think I out screamed just about everybody. You know those leather chopper mittens? Do you know that they make a really loud noise when you wear them to clap!?

Jana... The squirrels are running around at your house too? I think I should get those blinder things like they put on horses to keep them staring straight ahead!

One quick trip to the PO this morning and then I'll get back to the sewing machine. Tomorrow I'm going over to help KC organize some stuff she wants to sell. She's lost her mo-jo for sewing, but I told her if she ever gets it back.. let me know! :lol: :lol: She has lots of layer cakes and jelly rolls, and panels and yardage. I'm thinking we can put together like kits of fabric and I might be able to sell some for her on FB garage sale sites. And maybe some at the garage sale in Wisconsin. I know Viv will grab up some jelly rolls. I might see what she has I can make aprons out of, thankfully she takes Paypal! :lol:

need more coffee and a shower.

PS Did you see that Lisa Marie Presley died?

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:45 am

Good morning. While we have rain in the forecast for the next few days it's still going to be a wonderful weekend. We are supposed to start drying out come this Tuesday. It will be a blessing to see the rain I prayed for go away. I do feel kind of stupid complaining about rain when I see the tornado devastation in the south. I really am in a good spot.

Yesterday I was able to get my grocery shopping done, picked up my sewing machine and have no more "have to do's" until after the rains. Our quilt group meets on Saturday but I am not going if the weather is bad.

Today the heater repairman comes to see what needs to be done to fix our furnace. I am praying it's a simple fix, but the unit is 30 years old, and it could go either way.

Maryz, so glad your tire held out. Nice to get it fixed. Nope, no lotto ticket here. I will save the $10 I was going to use to purchase one. The last couple of times I bought one I didn't even win a dollar. Jerry just read that a leopard escaped from the Dallas zoo, keep your eyes open, those cats travel fast and could be anywhere.

Velda, so glad you found a quilter. What a blessing to know the job will be done and it will be ready for binding when you get it back.

Katy, buy one chicken get two free, that is a bargain. So many options for their use. Hope you find everything you are looking for on your hunt.

Judi, your morning with the kids made me laugh. frustrating as it can be, when you get home and explain your morning to Ken I bet you smile or chuckle at it.

Jana, happy white dress shopping. glad you know where some are. Seems that when I look for a specific something I never can find it, but if I am not looking for it, it's everywhere.

Maryq, even I dont' have any sunshine. I would share if I did. My blocks should be there on Tuesday. While I would love to see what KC has for sale I know I don't need to buy more. I'm thinking if I only look with one eye I could be safe, but probably not.

Time to get my day started, yu all have a great day,
Chriss
Psalm 91

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:31 pm

I thought it was Friday the 13th. πŸ˜‚
Lori 8-)

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:59 pm

Lori, Maryz got us started this morning and she is in Texas. They do things differently in Texas :lol: :lol: :lol:
Psalm 91

Return to β€œSew ins”