Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday, Jan 5th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Thursday, Jan 5th

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:39 am

Good morning,

Yesterday was a good day. I finished my owl and started on my narwhale. I really should look up narwhales and learn more about them than just how to spell the word. I spent some time with my sis, cleaned the fridge, and then won another game of Mexican Train. But the best part of the day was when Bill called and said he's in good shape, needs no further tests, and can go home. His PSA is 12 but that's lower than when we left home and he is chronically high anyway. No biopsies necessary! Hooray! He will be back from Houston later this morning and we can get on with the rest of our winter plans. Thank you for your prayers!

MARY Q - I'm not sure exactly where San Benito is, but do know it's close to the Mexican border. So sorry to hear your DB and SIL have Covid. I hope it's a light case and they recover quickly. And yes, Covid is resurging all over this state along with some other nasty viruses. Everyone is sick but so far, because they are so very careful, A & A have escaped them all. I'm glad you didn't have much reaction to your booster. I haven't either. And with each shot, I have less and less. Has it stopped snowing at your house yet? And I don't know if our Antonio is a Cowboys fan or not. He is more into college, I think. He played linebacker for Westpoint and he also went to Stanford so he roots for them, too, I know. But we let him know he is now a Seahawks fan!! And his daughter will be, too!! 🏈 I think aprons are a great idea for those, umm... questionable fabrics!

CHRISS - you are making good progress in your cleaning/purging! Though when you spill Epsom salts in your living room carpet, it's kind of one step forward and one step back. :lol: Our laundry room is about the size of yours - more like a cubby off the downstairs family room behind louvered bifold doors. We have the hot water heater, the laundry tub, and the w/d in there. Bill installed cabinets overhead, too, so I have good storage for cleaning products, vases, candles, lightbulbs, and the like.

JANA - your Karlie is going to be somebody one day! She is a thinker and a doer. Both good qualities! You just have to survive her childhood! :lol: I bet Michael really enjoyed those old videos. And I, too, miss the old "pineapple express" term. It was so much more colorful than "atmospheric river". Not sure why terms have to be constantly updated.

VELDA - to see my kids or my siblings it would always be worth a 6 hour RT drive. I'd make it a two day trip, though.

JUDI - your family reunions sound amazing! I wanna be your cousin! I'd go to all the reunions and I'd bring potato salad! So I've always wondered - you mention your carpet sweeper a lot. Do you really have an old fashioned carpet sweeper or is that a colloquialism for vacuum? Just curious. None of my beeswax.

FLO - you and Joe are good neighbors!

I'm on dog duty this morning so I need to wrap this up and get busy walking and scooping! My morning will be sewing until Bill gets back. Then I don't know what. I've missed him! We have 6 more nights here in this park and then we'll be moving on.

Sew something wonderful today!
mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Re: Thursday, Jan 5th

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:50 am

Good morning I was up early today...it is still dark and in the 30s...I had no plans today so was going to try and get some sewing done....lo and behold Ken decided to take the day off and do something with me..now we need to figure out what...he hates thrift stores and although he will take me to any quilt shop on any place...I really dont need to do that either..so we shall have coffee and think about what we can do. It is 630 so we have time...LOL (This is such a rarity Im not sure how to handle it LOL) But if he decides to work in the shop I will sew.....I really need to get sewing. ( I need you all to send me some mojo)
Just when you think you know it all..here is another grand kid story....Sophia ( who has been doing well thank you for asking ) Is in to japanese culture and the Amine cartoons....She loves Cosplay with the anime charecters...and has a few costumes....she buys on line with her own money.....So one came and it was too low cut in the chest,,,So she got out the very old singer ( 1960s vintage) sewing machine I gave her mother years ago (never used it) she cleaned it oiled it and read the entire book that came with it, and got it running,,,Her mom had to help her just a tiny bit...She took the costume apart with the help of you tube,,,and altered the front to fit her better and I think a star is born......now she wants to get patterns and be taught how to use them... I havent garment sewed in many years...but it will be an adventure...just sharing my excirment at least someone else is sewing...in the family
Well I need to get moving and comb my hair just in case Ken decides what he will do today...have a great day,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Ps While reading the book that came with the sewing machine Sophia had only one question,,,,,It said to look up her nearest dealer in the "Phone directory" and she didnt know what that was ......now we can all feel really old. :D :D :D
Last edited by grammiequilts on Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:53 am

Yes, Mary, to see kids or siblings, for sure worth the drive, but not second and further out relatives, that you just don't know, not me. Heartless?? Maybe... But for my kids and grandkids, while that's a whole different story. πŸ€—πŸ€—
OMG! I love the story about Sophia! How proud. Yes, she has a natural talent!! Came from Grandma, I am sure!!! Especially about the "phone directory". Not many people are keeping land lines. However, one of my new neighbors here in the condos is in her 90's. She still keeps her land line and prefers that to her cell phone.
HUGS, πŸ’• Vel

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:07 am

Maryz we have always called the vacuum a carpet sweeper....it is just what it is and its easier to spell than vacuum :D :lol:

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:33 am

Morning
Maryq, we always stayed up for new years as a kid. I have 6 siblings, and my grandma lived with us my parents always went out, and grandma would make homemade pizza fir us and we eat that and watch Guy Lombardo on TV. It was fun.
Today is finish tin on barn.
Have a great day
Flo

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:44 am

Good morning Everyone,

Yesterday I got all my penguins sewed for my garland she only made 4 big ones and showed she made little ones for tree ornaments so I took out my 5 inch circle and made 4 little ones also it was a nice easy project.
Today is our cleaning day and I see some wash grew back so that will also be on our ticket for today.

Mary so glad things are OK with Bill.
Velda happy you are back join us again.
Judi have a great day with Ken I'm sure he will find something to do.
As for me I have to get dressed and start my work so we can get done.
Have a great day.
Lois

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:33 am

Good morning All
Nothing going on here. The weather hs turned off cold and snow showers. And wouldnt you know I need to go to store. I need some whole milk and some yogurt with live cultures in it. I got an instant pot for xmas and want to try to make yogurt. I have been watching videios on you tube on how to do this. Also need a few other things. Its either go to store or take down my christmas tree LOL .
Yesterday I finished up the baby chicks. They do not get their eys till quilt is completed . I am trying to figure out whether I like the way the pattern does the beeks and feet . I am going to try one chicken the patterns way. I am not sure if I like the finish either but we will see.
Also did some laundry.
Lois Have fun cleaning. Thats my weekend job.
Velda I am going to get a house phone just because I pay for the sevice. It is included in my internet bill. and I either use that part or pay all bill for internet.
Judi I would bet my grands would not know either what a phone directory is. LOl
Maryz I am on poop and scoop duty until I get Barney totally house broke . He is pad broke and I am working on getting him to let me know when he has to go.
I need another cup of Java
You all have a great sewing day
Katy

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:33 am

Good morning!

Love the phone directory! There's a saying about this upcoming generation, give them a rotary phone, a TV with no remote, an analog watch and write the directions in cursive! You can add rabbit ears for more fun! LOL!

We have the little girls again today. Lila was a big help in packing up all the decorations. I think it's like trying to re-stuff everything back into Pandora's box, except it would be called Janadora's boxes! Almost done and it's better organized and labeled this year.

More snow is coming late this afternoon. So a trip to get a few fresh groceries is needed this morning.

Kari reached a million dollars in policies she underwrote last year. And the company sets goals for each month. This month she's already 2/3's of the way to that goal and it's only the 5th! This all translates to a nice raise.

Not much else new here.

Stay safe, warm, and out of trouble!

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:54 am

Good Morning Girls!

I think it's finally stopped snowing! I should post a couple pictures of the piles of around my house. HUGE piles from where the plow had to dump it! This has been quite a year and it ain't over yet!

Maryz ... SO wonderful that Bill's news is all good! I bet he is one happy guy! Best news you've had in a while, with all the Covid stuff! Now I'm curious, what's the difference between a regular whale and a narwhale? I might have to google it--ok I did... the narwhale has the big horn! No problem with the shot in my arm... barely even sore and a couple Tylenol took care of that!

Judi... How heart warming that Sophie wants to sew!! And clothes no less!! Good for her! I thinking I started sewing at about her age, on my grandmother's treadle machine. Used to work with a gal that sewed the anime costumes and some are just beautiful, and almost a work of art! The tough thing about sewing clothes is remembering the 5/8" seam instead of 1/4". That's hilarious about the phone directory!!! I don't even think they make them any more do they? In Ireland and Scotland... the vacuum is a "Hoover" and if they say they are going to clean... it's "I'm going to go hoover the living room"

Velda.... So true about land lines... not to many around any more. I kept mine for a long time, but when I moved and never transferred it here. Someone told me a long time ago that if you call 911 on a landline it will connect you to your local county/city emergency dept/police department, but if you call from your cell phone you get connected to Highway Patrol. I don't know if that's true anymore, but that's why I always kept my land line.

Flo.... What a great memory of New Years Eve... and it's great that you are continuing with your family!

Lois..... Maybe that's why my clothes hamper is full again... those clothes "grew back" :lol: When you get your penguins done, send me photo, I'd love to see them!

Katy... Now that sure does sound like a lot of fun ... "poop and scoop" :lol: :lol: Are you going to train him to go outside? My sis has bell hanging on her door knob and when her Dog needs to go out, she rings the bell. But It's a wimereiner (sp) so it's a big dog and that mess in the house would be way too much!

Jana.... SO true.... about what kids can deal with. I have to print everything for my grandkids or they can't read it! Is Kari at her new job? I can't remember if she got that job she was interviewing for or not! My SIL is an underwriter too, tho I think she is counting the days until she can retire!!!

Got some work done on my aprons yesterday. Each apron needs 4 pockets, so on some I did some embroider designs on some of them. and they are turning out pretty cute. I have more fabric to cut today and then will put away when I won't use after all. The roads are all plowed here, but there is no place I need to go. Will give it a few more days until I'm desperate for groceries--=then I'll go out!

In the meantime... I'll sew!

See y'all tomorrow

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:57 am

Good morning. I'm loving this wonderful wet weather.

Yesterday I went to town to purchase a new vacuum. I was also looking for new bathroom rugs. Really only wanted the one that goes by the toilet. The rubber backing has come off of mine and is making a dusty mess. Couldn't find a rug for under $22. My town has almost nothing for shopping. I will need to either travel to a bigger town or fall back on Amazon. Hoping Jerry puts that vacuum together this morning and tries it out in the entire house.

I also got a few things at the grocery store, including a large jar of marinated artichoke hearts. That dang jar was so hard to open that jerry had to get some king of vice grips he had in the garage to do the job. We tried everything and couldn't get it open without that tool. I can now have marinated artichoke hearts in my salad.

Today I will pick up where I left off on the cleaning and purging. We have a lot of junk here. My laundry room is quite small. It has a sink on one wall with a door leading outside. Wall two is washer, dryer and garbage can. Wall three is half bath, pantry and furnace and wall four is the door into the kitchen. Basically, I only have to clean out the cupboards. And crazy as it sounds, I put the garbage bags in the cupboard over the garbage can. Jerry stuffs things wherever and can never find what he is looking for. My philosophy is to put things in a convenient place and always put them there. Silly me. It's my pet peeve, I really don't like not finding things because they aren't put where they go.

Judi, yay for Sophia. Marilyn went through the Anime and Cos Play phase when she was young. Very cool that Sophia was able to rework her costume to fit her better. Very exciting.

Katy, our internet/phone service works like yours. And in addition to a cordless home phone, we have one that plugs into the phone line. The plug into the phone line phone doesn't require electricity to work like the cordless phones do and works during a power outage. Oh great, you have chickens with beaks and feet, but they can't see where they are going or what they are pecking at.

Maryq, seems that almost everytime I go to sign off and submit my post I look and you have snuck in there.

I got a text from Valerie this morning. She has been sick all week and her dad's caregiver has also been sick. She has a young man who helps with the things that require muscle. She has quite a bit on her plate, a prayer or two could only help.

And that's my cue. If I get the laundry/bath cleaned how I want it I will go play in my sewing room. You all have a marvelous day,
Chriss
Psalm 91

Return to β€œSew ins”