Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Friday December 2nd,

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Friday December 2nd,

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:52 am

Good morning It is dark and I think cloudy today...I understand that we might have thumderstorms this afternoon with 40s...It's december.??? Hockey game last night was great our boys won again...the are solid/ I will pack a few items and head to DDs for the weeknd. Sophia has a tournament and DD ans Jeff are taking her, I stay with the boys and pups. I may take some hand sewing and my laptop as the boys are self suffient and I will need something to do...ALthough DD isnt done decorating and she wouldnt mind at all if i did some at her house. So I will put on some Christmas music and drive the boys nuts,,,( they love me its ok),
We have a hockey game Saturday so we will take Liam to that. and Sunday I will leave them at 330 to attend the New Boston Christmas festival in our town...parents will be home about 5.
Well I think i will do a bit of laundry here and get a few chores done..Prayers for all who need this day and there are many,...Val,s DD and Becca and her husband, Itty Bitty and her family to name a few.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Re: Friday December 2nd,

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:09 am

Good morning,
It's sunny and chilly here there are no great plans for today so I just might relax and do nothing my left hip is bothering me I might have to make a trip to the chiropractor :lol:.

Judi have fun with the boys and enjoy your time with them.

Well thats all the news from here.
I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all in need.
Lois

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:12 am

Good morning,

JUDI - Sorry about the DMV adventure. You know, because of Covid, some areas are letting expired tags go - at least for a limited amount of time. We're seeing quite a few on the roads here in Austin. When is baking day? I want to leave my door open and hope the wind drifts south. Mmmmm...... I used to bake a lot at Christmas when the kids were still at home. Always, at least 12 kinds of cookies and candy. And I always gained between 5 and 7 pounds each December!

TINA - I think I added about 3# just reading your baking list! I pretty much stopped baking when I was working at our local toy drive. I was on my feet about 9 hours a day from Thanksgiving until after Christmas when we packed up the leftovers and took them to storage. There was no time for baking. After doing that for 12 years, I never got back into it again. And now we spend more holidays in our trailer than at home, and baking in a trailer can be problematic.

CHRISS - yes, your name has come up a lot lately in my "sewing room". But today will probably be the end of it! Hooray!! Thanks for the Medicare tips. Or, in the case of my question, non-tips. I guess my sis should just go ahead and get her dental work done and not wait for Medicare to change their minds. Last time I was at DMV in person was to renew my license. I walked in and there WAS NO ONE THERE!!! Unheard of! I didn't even need to take a number or sit down or get out a book or picnic lunch or anything! Just walked up to the counter. The gal was so pleasant, smiling. She took my picture and then asked my weight. She looked at me and said, "Oh you don't look like you weigh that much. I'll just put down ____", which was 10# less than I actually weigh. That day went down in DMV history!

MARY Q - so is your tree up? And covered in bows? Bows always look so pretty - on other people's trees. But decorating genes seem to have passed me by. Hope you get the rest of your ornaments down soon. When we put things in our garage rafters, I label the boxes on the bottom so I can see what's what just by looking up.

VAL - hope you got to use every bit of those 5 hours of free sew time and got your binding done. When I set up my Nativity, I always put the baby in. If I didn't, He would either get lost or I'd forget. My Nativity set (now Autumn's set) is pretty large. 19 pieces and the camels are the size of a 6-month old cat. I usually set it up on the buffet in the dining room, on top of white quilt batting or "fluff". And I string white lights through it all. How is your DBIL? I adore my DBIL (who will be joining us here in Austin on Monday) and you obviously care a great deal about yours, too. Saying a special prayer for him. With his health hx, flu can be dangerous. Hoping your DD's foot heals quickly and simply.

KATHY - our shopping list has shrunk, too, over the years. And for the few out of state folks we order Hickory Farms to be delivered in Dec. My sisters and I shop all year long in thrift shops for goofy things (and some times we score something really nice!) and then have a box of mostly silly gifts to exchange. It's fun, we laugh a lot, and we're thinking of each other all year long. And that's the REAL gift.

TINA - so nice to have all the cleaning and decorating done! Do you still have Christmas sewing to finish - besides Elijah's stocking? Cookies and candy were often my gift to friends, neighbors, family, too. But some years, I changed things up, I made hamburger sausage, wassail, or a Christmas braided coffee bread decorated with glaze and green and red marachino cherries cut to look like poinsettias. People told me they appreciated the change from all the sweet things.

KATY - well?? Did you get your chicken sewn? πŸ” And I don't know anything about anything when it comes to hummers, but don't "scouts" start arriving about February? That's what I've heard. And that's only 2 months away. IRISH has gotten me hooked on eagle cams and I really suffered from empty nest syndrome when the last ones fledged in June. I've been counting the months until the next eggs are laid (also Feb!). Best part, I don't have to feed them!

FLO - your NOEL sign sounds nice. I remember an episode of Home Improvement when the boys were in a Christmas concert at church and supposed to hold up signs spelling out N O E L. But instead it turned out to be L E O N. :lol: Now, every time I see the word "Noel" I am seeing "Leon" instead. :lol:

JANA - that was great that Kari noticed the tire. I don't think I would have. Daniel and I have the same special spaghetti sauce recipe! Only I include a very small pinch of cinnamon and a glug of red wine. And sometimes I even add some to the sauce. :lol:

LOIS - how is the big snowflake coming along? Did you get your cleaning done? I'm going to have a good cleaning day tomorrow, I think. I'm going to finish these mug rugs today and tomorrow will be laundry and cleaning up our little tin hut.

JUDI - you again! I wonder who has the most fun when Liam plays at Pa's Rink - Liam or Pa!? lol! Have fun at the kids. I would love it if my mom came and decorated my house! But if I did the same at Lara's, it wouldn't be appreciated.

I'm making good progress on my mug rugs and expect to finish them today. Whew! What a marathon! I did all the prep work while still at home - cut all the pieces and fused the little faces. and made one prototype. The final step is to hot glue pom poms to their hats but I'll wait on that until they actually go to Aut so they don't get smashed. I'll give her a chance to change her mind and give them out this year. But as it stands right now, with renovations planned, most of the employees don't have desks on which to even set mugs let alone mug rugs.

I'm not sure what project will be next. I brought about 6, most of them are all pre-cut by me at home. One is the little ghost quilt, but that, too, will be for next year - or for a shower gift - or ?? So no rush, other than I just want to do it. I've started writing up a piece to be shared at my DSIL's service. It's full of memories of her. I told Gene I was doing this and he gave me two thumbs up. He is doing well, I believe. He isn't chatty, but has been free with the texting. And even talked of his future some, when he'll be in his mid-90's. :D I took that as a positive sign. He told Bill that losing Marge was a sad thing, but not a bad thing. She was 86, end stages of Alz, and came down with Covid. I have to agree with him. But also said even as she was, she was still part of his life. And now there is a hole there. He will fill it with work, I'm guessing.

Yesterday I had to fill all my bobbins. Now I'm set. I have full bobbins!! I hope you all do, too!

Make it a good one!
mary z
>^+^<

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:34 am

Morning
Maryz, I remember that episode of Home Improvement. Didn't finish sign yesterday. Today or tomorrow it will get finished. Can't be put up til Sunday or Monday because rain today & tomorrow.
Today it's off to county courthouse to pay real property taxes. Those are taxes on autos, trailers, etc. Taxes on house is on our mortgage. Then Joe will go to kids house to finish fence along their patio if rain holds out.
Have a sew great day
Flo

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:40 am

Good morning everyone!
Judi, it's dark here too, not sure if it's cloudy or not but it sure would be nice to get some rain. Sounds like your DD is like mine, she'd love for me to decorate LOL she may rearrange but she'd still love it. She's been trying to get her decorating going since Sunday but she's been exhausted when she gets home. Her 3 are coming here today because it's an inservice day. Maybe we can help her decorate tomorrow. I love hearing about the games and your grands!
Lois, a relaxing day sounds like just what your hip needs.... plus a chiropractor. I need a chiropractor too, I'm waiting and hoping the rumors are true and we're getting one here in town, all our others either retired or left.
Maryz, I didn't get all my sewing done so that'll be next year's gifts but that's ok because we already bought everyone their gifts, I just need to wrap. Elijah's stocking is the only Christmas sewing that's being given this year.
Valerie, how is your DD doing today? πŸ™πŸ™
Becca, prayers for you and CA and your family πŸ™πŸ™
Flo, I remember that episode too but there's also a song and video about Noel Leon, but I can't remember who sings it, it must be country because that's pretty much what I listen to unless it's oldies. I hope the weather is good for fence putting up.
I'm working on the stocking already this morning so I can hopefully be ready to layer today. Not due how much sewing I'll be able to do with the kids here so I try not to plan that. They'll be games of go fish, checkers, pente and possibly dominoes or triominos, I love playing games but DH not so much so I take advantage when the kids are here. We may watch a Christmas movie too.
We'll be taking Dad some groceries so his house will be noisy for awhile too ❀ he loves it too.
Prayers for all in need.
You all have a great day!
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:46 am

Good morning!

Well, the wind has quieted a bit. A few flakes have fallen, nothing like the big scare storm they said was coming. I left the tail end of the weather front over Chriss, to share a bit of rain over her house.

More decorating here. A bit of sewing too.

Daniel got the snow tires on Kari's car. That was a adventure in finding the lock key to her fancy mag wheels. He thought it was in the glove box of the car, nope, so he got a bit frustrated. So it was back and forth checking between Sandee's and here. He finally found it. That car is his baby too, a purple Dodge Charger, decked out.. it even has the big hot rod engine.. He wants to order a new Charger, as this will be the last production year,, so he's seeing if he'll do it. Not a cheap car! Oh, it has to be purple too!

Short school day and the little girls will be over later - pizza for dinner, Christmas crafts, movies, popcorn and doughnuts in the morning. Karlie is looking forward to her BD party tonight. Kari's new job interview went well.

Many prayers for all,
Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:58 am

Good morning. We had lots of rain yesterday. Show in the high country. No snow in my yard.

Today is Medicare counseling and then Bingo tonight. This weekend is full of craft fairs.

Judi, I wouldn't mind your coming here to decorate, but I'd need you to come take it all down too. Glad the boys love you and tolerate their decorating granny.

Maryz, so glad you think of me while sewing. Hmmm, which project should be next? I'm thinking ghost, only because I am so excited to see it done and with Lois's pillow it will be a great gift that your granddaughter will use for years to come. This could even become a tradition, a quilt, book pillow and book every Christmas or birthday.

Lois, hope you can get in to see the bone doctor.

Flo, property taxes and homeowners insurance used to be on our mortgage also. Since we have paid off the mortgage, we now have to pay those bills separately. I wish they weren't due in December, but that is the way it goes.

Tina, nice that you do dad's grocery shopping. I used to do grandma's. We would go through her house and make a list. I would also love the noise of kids in the house.

Jana, Thanks for the rain. Had you not sent it we probably wouldn't have gotten any. Sure can't rely on our weatherperson to be accurate. Happy all about Karlie day, what fun to be her.

Sons! So I sent my kids a quilt and some other things and they were delivered yesterday. I watch tracking like a hawk. Do you think they would say, Hey mom, we got the package? NO! So I had to ask. Yes they got it. Brats, sons can sure be brats. And he's too big to beat.

Prayers for Valerie's DD and for CA and Becca. Also for ShirleyMae and Rod.

You all have a marvy day and a great weekend.
Chriss
Psalm 91

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:31 am

Good morning! Will try to stay awake through this but little sleep last night. Up since 2. 2 patient visits. Charting is done though, 1 visit for my day job this AM then may snooze a bit.

Have not heard from DD yet today, I imagine they have her on pain med and she is likely sleeping. I will contact her if I don't hear by this afternoon. As my son said, (for those of you unfamiliar with the 49ers just go along with it) it sounds like the same injury as Trey Lance had. Not sure what the plan will be as her DH is to have Rotator cuff surgery on the 6th I think it is. Maybe they can share a hospital room!

I was a bad girl and did not use my time wisely at Open Sew yesterday so binding is not completely done. Did make some good progress though. Last visit to this shop I bought the "Crazy 8" ruler set by Creative Grids and am planning to make that quilt. So I shopped around and bought some batiks for it. And we lingered through lunch. But I will get it done. It is going to be one of those curl up and watch TV quilts so all is good. Want to hopefully finish the camel today.

We had lots of rain here yesterday too. Over a half inch. More is expected over the weekend.

POTD include laundry, sewing, Dad bath, and the usual household chores.

Prayers going out to Becca, CA, Shirley Mae and Rod. May God walk with them on their current journey's.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:02 am

Good Morning Girls

Happy Friday! Tis a wee bit cloudy here today too. But it's warmed up too 33*! Above freezing is always nice. I've been up long enough now to have showered (you're welcome) and dressed. Not sure what the POTD will be, as the list is long!

Judi.... Thunderstorms in December? I've seen it! One year on Christmas Eve we had thunder and lightening! It sure was weird! How nice of you to decorate for DD... and of course you have to play Christmas music... Granted the boys will cover their ears and hide in their rooms!

Lois... A good day with nothing to do but relax, perhaps with a good book, does sound wonderful! I probably won't see one of those for a while... until I run out of fabric!

Maryz... The tree is up with some lights (only the ones that were packed in the box with the tree) The tree skirt, other ornaments and decorations are still in the attic. And they won't be coming down this weekend, as Shawn and Bren are going hunting today! I won't deny them that! My heart goes out to Gene.... though it's sometimes hard to conflicted about feelings when someone passes. It always sad to lose someone you love, but happy for them to be released from this life and enjoying a beautiful eternal life.

Flo.... I've heard taxes are little different in Missouri as my BFF in Oak Grove is struggling trying to figure out how it all works. All I know is we pay an awful lot of money in taxes all the way around! In Minnesota, you pay sale's tax on everything except food!

Tina... You know, I think it's a guy thing that they don't like to play games! Have you ever heard of "Ticket to Ride" Its one of Kris's favorites, but Shawn refuses to play! I got the a new version for Christmas... it's all about San Fransisco.

Jana... Will cross fingers that Kari gets the job she is really wanting. Something to work from home? Kris has taken a position with a commercial real estate firm here, after looking for something that "fits" since they moved back. She can work from home mostly.. And these days... that's the best part of the job!

Chriss..... There is something in male DNA that can occasionally make the "stupid and unthinking" Like a little glitch that causes the thought of "I should call Mom" to float off into the unknown rather then get verbalized! But I have to say, some DD's are missing that link too!

Valerie... Had to back to yesterday to check on your DD! Ouch!! That had to hurt!!! My biggest fear is falling (which I have done many times) and breaking something! Will send a little thought and prayer for speedy recovery!.

Not sure I'll be around much over the weekend. I'm picked Miss Evie up from school today and am going to hang with her over the weekend. Kris had to go down to Tom and Viv's, and the boys went hunting. Evie has to work tomorrow, so she stayed home. We're going to pal around tonight, I'll sleep over there and take her to work in the morning, then come home . Pick her up at 6 and stay with her over night! Trying to decide what little project to take with me tonight, gotta keep the hands busy!

Have a few errands to run today... post office, bank, grocery store! Want to start baking Mom's cranberry bread next week and need shortening--hope I can find it!

Time to fly!
Have a Fabulous Friday!

Return to β€œSew ins”