Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUNDAY, November 27

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

SUNDAY, November 27

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:05 am

Good morning,

LYN, loved the photo of your front yard. And the Leanin' Tree. It would be interesting to see if the legend of your tree is related at all to the Leanin' Tree Greeting card company in Boulder, CO. Perhaps this is how they got their name . . .

VAL, You had a long day in the car - 5 hrs round trip. But I'm sure it was worth it to see your friend after all that time. Sounds like today is camel day.

MARY Q - Did you get the boys to get your Christmas stuff down from the rafters? Mine is stored opposite - All the totes are under our stairway in a 4 foot high storage space I have to crawl into. I CAN do it but these days my back rebels for a few days after so now Bill does it.

IZZY - I did a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt one year. But after making about a dozen blocks, decided I didn't like the colors so I tossed those blocks into my orphan block box and went rogue. I did it in Christmas fabrics instead.

CHRISS - I love that Moose found a comfy place to nap. And that he is allowed to! Congratulations on finishing your quilt! I remember the bow tie swap. I did two sets. And we were camping with Don & Cindy near Bastrop, TX and she and I went to a neat little LQS and I bought some of the fabrics I used for those bow ties. We went back to our trailers and I sewed and she ironed and we visited, so in a way she was part of your quilt, too.

KATY - I wouldn't be able to handle a really big tree all on my own either. But as long as I have Bill, we'll be having a freshly cut tree that brushes the ceiling. When we are home, that is. Our trailer tree is a 3 ft fake. :lol: I remember when Scottie was a baby we also put up "pet fencing" in our living room for the first week or so. Bill got inside with him and they napped together. :lol:

JANA - my BC cookbook also has lots of my hand written notes in it, especially the silver white cake recipe that I used to make Autumn's wedding cake (first wedding, 20 years ago). Great that you have some height in the family. Sometimes I stand on a step stool and survey my kitchen just to see what it's like for 'regular' people (and to check for dust :D ) Such a different perspective at 5'8" than from 4'11"! Your Michael sure wouldn't like how I decorate. I get all the bins out at once, packing and boxes are everywhere, the cat is in everything, and our house is a mess for 3 days! I'm not sure Bill even notices, let alone objects.

FLO - I'm so sorry to hear about your grand dog. Your poor DGD.

JUDI - I'm so sorry about your friend. I'm sure that was quite a shock to you. So sad to loose a loved one anytime, but especially at the holidays. Is today's game hockey? Who's playing? Will your lights arrive today? We can't have a dark village!

LOIS, we don't shop for many gifts any longer either. Our grandsons like REI gift cards, my son & DIL don't want gifts from us, and my older DD would rather choose her own things. We send them a Hickory Farms box. But we do give or make a few gifts for Autumn and now her family. Antonio is getting a Seahawk mug and a set of 3 Seahawk onesies, size zero. Aut is getting her favorite perfume. Baby is getting a nursery and a quilt. :D What are book pillows?

Yesterday I worked on mug rugs. I have half of them done, half left to do. They are going much faster than I thought they would. After making 15 of them, I have an assembly line method worked out. I'll work on some more today, but we're also going to put up outside lights today. Yesterday was dry but quite windy for outside work. Today is going to be 70' here. Bill remarked this morning that a lot of other RV's have lights up and we better get ours up, too! (funny. At home he grumbles about putting up lights!)
Also, we have to run over to Aut's library to pick up a few packages she has for us (she is working today). We lost a foot off our trailer on the trip and the ones Bill bought along the way don't fit. So he ordered others and we hope to return the first ones on our trip back home. We have been making do, but we're not very level and can't get level until we get the right feet. So today will be a full day. At least the turkey is gone and we'll be eating new food today! Seahawks play today at 3pm in this time zone. We are hoping we might get the game. We have a lot of TV stations here . . .

Wishing everyone full bobbins! I use oversized bobbins size M. I fill four of them and when I'm out of bobbins, I know it's time to oil my machine.

Mary z
>^+^<

fabricgirl

Re: SUNDAY, November 27

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:21 am

Good morning Mary and all who follow,

Yesterday was a fun day Sandi came down with her new embroidery machine and a big bag of fabric and we made book pillows you make them like a pillow with a pocket in front so you can carry a book in it and it has a handel on it they work up fast but I was teaching her so we got 4 done she is making them as gifts for the kids and she is going to Barnes and Nobel for either gift cards or books.

Today I will cut the borders out for the snowflake and in between I will strip the bed and wash the sheets and a few other loads.

Have a great day.
Lois
Nice gift to get kids started reading.

velvet

Post by velvet » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:53 am

A rainy few days are ahead of us. We started to decorate yesterday and I'm hoping to get the tree up during the week. I bought some fabric from my lqs (30% off) that I'll make place mats and a table runner for Fran and Joe. Its Cardinals and Fran's parents always loved to see them. So I hope these bring a few good memories for her. My DD and her family will be here on the 24th. It will be a fast visit for them. 4 days fly by so very rapid.
I hope to visit my "Miss Vera Versa" today. Sometimes she plays nice and other times is mean and mad.
The news this morning had several shootings--- what is going on and what are the answers?????
Please keep safe.
Diane

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:17 am

Good Morning,,it is raining a lot here,,,and will rain all day. We are supposed to run out and take all the stuff to the kiddos. all the empty and clean dishes and the Christmas stuff I am sending along to them...I did get the kitchen decorated...and my bedroom partly done...the village is up but will wair for the lights...Ken made me a new tree stand for the basement tree I may set that up and let it fluff....it is prelit.with either white or colored as you like...the snowmen are marching so it is coming along...Id like it all done by next weekend as friday I need to go stay with the boys and the grand pups,,,Colleen and Jeff are heading to Grand Rapids for a hockey tournament with Sophia...Boys are self suffiecient but not for a whole weekend at 14 and 17 they can still get in too much trouble...so I will stay with them. Next sunday if the weather is good we have our towns old fashioned Christmas night....it is carolers and hot cider and music and our town museum house is all decorated for Christmas,,there are vendors and food and it is like a mini hallmark movie...hot chocolate...cookies decorating,,,and maybe some new things...They always give the kids home made ornaments . we have not had it since covid so we are happy to go///
Well I slept late ( stayed up late to watch another Christmas movie) and need to get dressed and moving here,,,We will just have cereal for breakfast today since I cooked a big breakfast yesterday,,,hope your day is adventureous XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Last edited by grammiequilts on Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:17 am

Good morning!

I had the girls a lot longer than planned yesterday, but Kate and Aaron finished all their shopping. I have soup cooking for noodles tonight. My house smells yummy! Church is a bit later this morning, after the sun gets up. It's still dark outside. My laundry is done too.

Stu and Ethan came down to visit last night. Most likely escaping the work project at their house. The flooring and walls are in progress for the new kitchen. The new everything will be installed starting around Christmas and all the old is now coming out. It will be very nice, if you like gray! I'm so not a gray person! Sarah has accents of teal and red, but the new cabinets are a slate gray, lighter gray for walls, trim is white, and the new flooring is the LVT tiles in a gray tone. White ceiling s. She's the one living there! Thank goodness, not me! You won't find grays in my house!

In helping Andrew with his pie, I found a long lost recipe in my Aunt's handwriting. It's for Divinity. I have the same recipe in my mom's handwriting too. Andrew was excited to find it too. He wants to learn how to make divinity. Only problem, it's written in cursive, lots of flourishes, so he was having a hard time reading it! I had to translate a couple of words! My aunt had very beautiful , perfect penmanship.

Enjoy this beautiful day! We even got snow yesterday!

Hugs and prayers,
Jana

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:05 am

Happy Sunday

Up early to get a chart done that I should have done yesterday but just wasn't up to it. I ended up doing nothing other than caring for Dad. I was exhausted and think I fell asleep once or twice. Feeling much perkier this morning. Not many chores to do so yes, Maryz I will work on camel today.

Looks like lots of decorating going on here. Are we going to post pictures this year? I am not sure what I will and will not decorate. If DGD wants to come help, that might entice me to do more. She is starting a new job on Tuesday so not sure what her schedule will be.

Judi I see your town is having quite the festival. Sounds wonderful. I for whatever reason have been craving hot chocolate! I never drink hot chocolate! But I may have to get some. I think they have sugar free now. Our town doesn't do much. There is a parade (can't remember the name) but I have never gone. It's too cold to sit out for a parade. There is an elder couple (now both 80) who do up their house every year in memory of their daughter who died in a plane crash some years ago. I have never gone to see it but this year I will as they have announced this is the last year. They are just too old to do it anymore. It has made national news in the past.

Maryz yes it was good to see her. We have spoken over FB in recent months but that is all. I think the last I saw or had contact with her was 2010 maybe. I don't remember when she left the last job we worked at together. But even prior to then it was mostly just work relationship where in the past we had been best friends. But things happen and people move apart. I sadly believe she may have an early Alzheimer's starting. She had asked me a few months ago regarding treatment/prevention of dementia's as she felt her short term memory was getting bad. Then when I saw her, she asked about medications and did seem to have at least minor memory loss. I guess I will wait and see.

Chriss great that Moose gets use of the quilt. Temps have dropped and animals get cold too. You should make him his own little quilt with dog fabric!

Well If I am to get any sewing done before Dad gets up, I need to get busy. This is my day alone with him.

Have a Blessed Sunday
Valerie
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:06 am

Clear blue skies in the Texas Hill Country. A nice change after many cloudy days.

MaryZ, I looked up Leanin' Tree Card Co. history, but no explanation on name. Since Boulder is close to Rocky Mtn National Park, it might be named for a tree in the park. There's a tree that has been photographed often, that sits on a rock up high in the Park, it leans to one side. But the Indians didn't turn it that way, nature did.

I posted a photo yesterday of my front yard. I hope others will post your view. Good idea Chriss.

No Christmas decorations here. I will put some up in the MH when we get to the campground in a few days.
Lyn

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:13 am

Good Sunny Morning!!

Still in jammies here this morning... just kind of waiting to see hear from Viv and Kris to see if they are going to go to the fabric place today or not. I don't really NEED to go, I mean, I can go any time.... but it is fun to go with friends. :lol: :lol:

Maryz..., No stuff from the rafters, but it can wait until next weekend too. Tom did come and install the fan for my gas fireplace, so now I can have a little extra heat. Funny you guys mention BC cookbooks.. The one we got for a wedding present in 1973 has had the most use of all them. Lots of note written all over! I think I might even have my Mom's BC cookbook from the 1950's For sure I won't text you after 3:pm wouldn't want to interrupt the football game!!

Lois.... Thank you so much for idea for the book pillows... my mind is now racing with thoughts of all whom I could make them for. Evie and Corinne for sure as they both love to read.. And maybe Viv too as I know she sits up at night and reads a lot. Do you buy pillow forms? What size do you get? I thought I had some here, but I think I gave them to Evie for a project she never got around to. :lol: :lol:

Diane.... I wish you well with your Versa... I was thinking about her yesterday as I was finishing up something on my regular machine. I came "this close" to buying one like that back in 2009 when I was at the Des Moines, IA quilt show. Sometimes I hear machines get finicky about the thread you use... or how the tension is set. Have you tried different threads? I'm a HUGE fan of GLIDE thread and my regular machine loves it... never have problems with the tension. Viv uses mostly that in her LA machine. Maybe try different threads? And when Vera gets sassy, just flip her switch and send her to time out!

Judi...My goodness you have been busy. Did you decorate in the basement last year? I bet you will have lots of fun doing it this year! More places to set up snowmen and garland and of course LIGHTS! lots and lots of lights. I agree, boys at 14 & 17 can probably fend for them selves, but they probably need a referee!

Jana.... Sarah's kitchen sound beautiful to me!!! LOVE grey and teal... which is what my house is... and red and teal another lovely combination. My house is mostly grey with teal and navy blue! My main bath has different shades of teal but sometimes I throw in a little red for color! Isn't it fun to find old handwritten recipes? I have my grandmother's whole recipe box, all of them written in her handwriting. I don't think I've made anything of them, but I do enjoy seeing her handwriting. My Grandmother would be 125 years old.

Valerie... OH Gosh I hope we post pictures of Christmas Decor this year.. I always love seeing how everybody sets up! I think I'm most excited about decorating my fireplace!! Nice to reconnect with an old friend. I feel very fortunate that I have been able to keep up with so many. Only one really good friend and I parted ways.... after I found out she had an affair with my husband... Kind of changes things don't you think.!

Lyn,... Tell me again what town your new house is in. Somewhere around here I have a big USA map and for years I've been wanting to put it up and use map pins to mark where y'all are at! I looked for a picture of your yard but didn't find it. I'll keep looking. The view out my front door is other front doors!

Looks like no trip to warehouse today.. Tom and Viv are heading home. No big deal, I can go anytime, and will probably run over sometime this week, depending on when the snow they are predicting arrives.

I'll be up and out early tomorrow as I'm scheduled for a C/T scan tomorrow morning. Sure hope they can figure out what's up. Not in any pain at all, just a weird feeling in my throat all the time.

Time for more coffee of course and get ready to start the day!

Enjoy!

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:27 am

Mary Q I buy pillow forms from hobby lobby.
Size 16 x16 but it depends on the size you want to make.

Lois

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:39 am

Good morning. What a fantastic day today will be.

Today the plan is to box up the bow tie quilt and get it ready for shipping to my son and daughter in law. I have a few things to add to their box. And I will work on the sashing for my RWB quilt. Thinking about borders, or maybe not.

Yesterday we went to a vendors fair, lots of cool crafty type things. I only bought a couple of Christmas ornaments.

My son and daughter in law really don't want anything for Christmas or birthday's. They have everything and go get what they want. My son is pretty picky too, so I was thrilled when I asked him if he would like the bowtie quilt and he said yes. Marilyn gets money every birthday and Christmas, it's what she can use.

Maryz, always nice to be level, hope you are soon. It's also nice to be done with the turkey. Jerry made 11 small turkey pot pies. They are all in the freezer in containers that are about 2 inches high and maybe 6 inches around. Just right for two. Half or more will go to my dad's house. Other than that there is enough turkey for a sandwich then it will be done. Your mug rugs are going to be an appreciated gift. Will you add a tea bag to go with them? I love scrappy swaps and those bow ties were certainly scrappy. There were people who gave me their blocks, so I was able to make a quite large quilt. It's 80 something by 80 something but less that 84x84. You'd really laugh at Moose. He gives Jerry that "I need to go outside" look. Jerry gets up and Moose promptly gets in Jerry's chair. Jerry then goes to sit on the couch. I'm not sure what Moose is thinking but it works every time.

Lois, what a great gift for kids. a pillow and a good book. Our friend's of the library has books in almost new condition and sell them 8 for a buck for kids. I'm also doing laundry, on load one of three, maybe I will see you in the laundry room.

Diane, we were supposed to have rain today, but the weatherman pushed it off until Thursday. I just saw on the news that until the year 2020 car accidents were the biggest cause of childhood deaths, shootings have surpassed. I'm so glad I'm not a kid or a parent of a young kid today.

Judi, it sounds like a nice old fashioned Christmas in your town. How fun it must be. Wehn you say you are decorating I always see those snowmen on your stairs. they make me smile.

Jana, I do believe that Andrew is going to be a baker. I hope he is making copies of all of these great recipes so he can have them forever. what fun to teach someone who really wants to learn.

Valerie, I do have a lot of dog fabric. Moose uses a quilt on his couch, and he uses our quilts on our bed. but I could easily make a special quilt just for him with dog fabric. Nice that DGD wants to come help you decorate. Maybe you and she can have some hot chocolate while you work. don't forget the marshmallows. Where will DGD be working? so glad she found something.

Lyn, I can't take credit for the idea of everyone posting their pictures of the front yard. I posted my picture then someone else suggested that we all do it. I'm thinking it was either Maryz or Valerie, perhaps Maryq. I love your view. so nice to see so much beauty and those leaning trees are pretty cool.

Maryq, nice to have that extra heat sweet of Tom to install the fan. If I was there i'd go to the fabric warehouse with you. PS, I'm still in my jammies too.

Guess my day won't start unless I start it. You all have a happy sunday and a great next week.
Psalm 91

Return to “Sew ins”