Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday, Nov 23 - THANKSGIVING EVE

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Wednesday, Nov 23 - THANKSGIVING EVE

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:11 am

Good morning and happy Thanksgiving Eve,

We didn't mean to be here until tomorrow but we are at our final destination in Austin. When we arrived at our overnight spot yesterday afternoon, we found many signs saying Closed to Overnight RV's. Bummer. Our guess was that they have been having problems with derelict RV's moving in and staying so they banned all RV's. So, we decided to drive the rest of the way - another 145 miles - and here we are. Actually a good thing - we have to go to the grocery store and now we can do it EARLY, before the crowds this afternoon. Plus, we are off the roads and traffic is expected to be heavy today.

CHRISS - sorry your family is so separated - by distance and by heart. Mine, too. So we go where my heart is. But I sure wish my heart would move closer to Washington! I can see why you and Jerry have differing memories of President Kennedy's assignation! :D I'm not doing Winter Wonderland by Crabapple Hill. I just wish I was. I'm doing Over the River and Through The Woods. And I'm not sure if, after finishing this one, if I will have the oomph to do another. Now, please pass the bacon!

LORI - I had to look that pattern up - Snowmen from A to Z - it is SOOO cute! I love snowmen. I hope I forget about it, because I'm not sure I'll live long enough!

LYN - thought of you as we drove through all the towns you have been mentioning lately - Llano, Blanco, Fredericksburg. HATE pulling the trailer down main street in F=burg. It was tree-lighting day there and it was crowded! We were sharing the busy and narrow main street with a couple of semi's. Ugh!

JANA - Love your family and love hearing about them! Seems Tanner was just born! Now we have a cheat sheet for when you tell your stories! :D

MARY Q - Happy heavenly birthday to your mom - belatedly. I would wait for the right fabric. When is Viv coming to town? TG?

BECCA - you also have a wonderful family! Is Denise going to NY to visit soon? great news for you from your doc! You are right to add the "for who it's for" factor when trying to jump-start your sew-jo. That's how many of my favorite people get yet another quilt! lol!

FLO - I love doing different things with the Rhodes frozen rolls - thaw, roll into a rope and tie. Or snip thawed (but not raised) rolls into thirds and parkerhouse rolls. Or just set them in a baking dish and let them raise, touching, for soft-sided rolls like my mom's. And other things. Yum! Do you have a favorite way of fixing them?

We are up early because we want to get to the grocery store before the crowds. It opens at 6am and now it's 6. We're showered, had our coffee, and now we're off. After shopping, I plan to start cleaning this rolling pig sty. Ugh! Autumn is working all day so we won't be seeing here until tomorrow. She lives/works at least 1/2 hour away. We have a truck load of things to pack up to take to Aut's tomorrow morning.

TTY'allL! :D
mary z
>^+^<

FlorenceM

Re: Wednesday, Nov 23 - THANKSGIVING EVE

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:51 am

Morning all!
Chriss I remember all the diseased trees in Cali. When we moved to Big Bear we gad a lot of diseased pine trees on our property. Within a few years we had them all gone. That was a lot of work....
Maryq, the Italian cookies I am making are called anginetti, or knots in English.

Yesterday we got that big tree down at kids house. It was about 20 feet high, 24 inches in diameter. Joe got it dropped without any major problems. Most of the big pieces are already moved to a neighbor's house that will use it for firewood.
Today is cookies, pies, prep sides, cook turkey. So tomorrow it's reheat in crockpots and no mess. We have done thus before. A lot easier on me.
Have a sew great day
Flo

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:08 am

Good Morning,,Hit the floor running, I have dressing to make tables to set and turkey to prep and 1 more bathroom to clean....that is all for me...More gifts have come so I will wrap these and pack away the quilting for after the house is done...I have a lot of quilting to do...but I wont have time to sew...that will give me Ufos for the new year....I now have 3 projects to do.....I got some of the On Wander Lane patterns and no one seems to have #1 and #2 if any of you happen to run across them please let me know...they are running $10-$12 each but it is a sweet pattern. My local LQS has all but those 2. I think there are 8 out at this time...My LQS lady is holding some for me for after the holidays,,,( I have been shopping with her for almost 20 yrs) She has had trouble getting 1 and 2.
Well I've had my coffee and its time to get the stuff done....Happy Turkey Day...to all of you,,,,and know that I am thankful for all of you too...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:07 am

Good morning Everyone,

Mary so happy your at your destination and I bet you will be glad when tomorrow comes to see Autumn and Antonio.

Flo you are a very hard worker.

Judi you are fast table set and things are moving right along I to want those on wonder lane patterns they started March thr August first.

Today I'm making apple pie.
Tomorrow I will cook dinner it's just the 2 of us the kids have other plans .

After I'm done I will be in my sewing room.

Well have a great day
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:12 am

Good morning. I am up before the sun. Went to bed around 11pm and rolled over the clock said 1:30, I was able to go back to sleep and stayed that way until 3:30. So, I got up turned on the coffee pot and read my bible and devotions. Bet I am in bed by 9 tonight.

My head is going over the scariest part of binding. Attaching the two ends together and praying it won't be short. Clearly, I need more practice.

Yesterday I finished putting the sashing for the columns for the RWB quilt and am ready to add the sashing between the rows. Not sure if I will add posts or not, and if I do add them what color will they be? The sashing is red.

I also started sewing the binding to my bow tie quilt. I need to attach the ends and sew them down and will flip it to the front and machine sew it and the quilt will be complete. It's quite large and very heavy. I made it for my king-sized bed, but it may be for my son's king-sized bed instead.

Today my task will be to make deviled eggs and when I am done, I will stay out of the kitchen. Jerry will be baking pies and gathering whatever we need for TG dinner. We will be cooking at my dad's.

Maryz, yay that you got there a day early. What a blessing that you are getting stocked up and can see your girl in the morning. I bet you are over the moon with excitement. I agree, stick with family and friends who are close to your heart, it's what we do also. Keep looking for library jobs near you, perhaps she will move. Go get those groceries girl, and don't forget the cool whip.

Flo, do you use those liners in your crock pots? I think on big cooking days using as many throw away things as possible to minimize the cleanup is a good idea. Glad that tree is no more and someone is using it for warmth.

Judi, someone will have those two patterns. Fat Quarter Shop lets you click on the "notify me when in stock" button. Or perhaps online shops who are having sew alongs won't have enough signups and will have extra patterns.

Lois, do you make a full Thanksgiving dinner? I love all the stuff that goes with the big dinner. I rarely eat that kind of stuff but tomorrow my plate will be full.

Lori, the bacon was good and there are a few pieces left for maybe a bacon cheeseburger for linner or is it daunch?

Hope you all have a great day, it's supposed to be beautiful here, just waiting for the sun to come up, I'm seeing a very small amount of pink edging up over the mountain.

Chriss
Psalm 91

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:14 am

Good morning!

I too, have been looking for the #1 and 2 of that BOM, on her website, no luck either. I have been reluctant in ordering the others. I am going to check with my LQS across the valley. They have carried all of her books from way back., many years. Nancy Halvorsen is a nearby local, lives just north of me.

We seem to be quite warm this morning. Almost above freezing! LOL!

Got my groceries in yesterday. But still need a quick milk run to Costco. Karlie was my helper in grocery shopping. We called Ethan to help haul it in from the car. Spent enough on groceries to get a turkey for free! It was easy with the prices of everything! So everything is staged and ready for making- pies, green stuff and setting the table. Daniel is home and will add the second extra leaf in my table.

Not much else happening around here.

Enjoy the fun of prepping ,

Hugs,
Jana

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:07 am

Hello for everyone looking for the blocks for ON WONDER LANE THEY CAME OUT WITH MARCH THR AUGUST FIRST I DONT THINK THAT SEPTEMBER THR FEBRUARY ARE OUT YET.

LOIS

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:11 am

Good Morning Girls

And a Happy Pre Thanksgiving day to all of you! Tis a bright sunny morning here, though a little chilly!

MaryZ... AM so glad you guys decided to power through and make it to Austin!!! I just know how excited you are to get your arms around your baby girl, and to check out that baby bump! Tom and Viv are on their way up today. We'll probably hit the fabric warehouse Friday or Saturday. Where they live, the closet Joann is 40 miles away and it sounds like it's the worst one ever! There's a couple LQS about 25 miles in another direction, and since they are right on the Iowa border, they go that direction too! But no place close to really "stock up"!!

Flo... I googled the Italian cookies! Just might have to try some! Do you make yours with lemon? I did see a recipe for that. Glad you were able to get that big old tree down... and nice to know it will keep somebody warm this winter!

Judi... Have you checked Etsy or Ebay for the pattern? I tried to google there, but I'm not sure what the pattern really looks like so it's hard to tell if I'm finding the right one! Did Ashley furniture ever find your missing piece?

Lois.. . Are you cooking a very big turkey for just the two of you? At least you won't have to share your left overs! :lol: :lol: I bought myself a small turkey breast that I'm going to cook someday.. so I can have leftovers. I love a good cold turkey sandwich!

Chriss.... I was googling around on Youtube this morning, trying to find the binding-joining method I use.. It's pretty darn easy and I know I saw it on youtube.. If I find it I'll link it to you. It's not the method with a funky ruler than I was never able to get the hang off.

Jana... Thank you for the "family tree" I wrote myself notes so I can keep track of who is who.. I'm one of 7 kids so it's always fun to explain who belong to whom too... especially since we have a lot of those "step" kids too! Here's one that will confuse anybody--My brother Tim is Married to Laurie .. but Tim's first wife was Luann. Laurie's first husband was Luann's sister. SO Tim and Laurie's 2 girls are not only step sisters to Laurie's son. but first cousins.

Only thing urgent on my to-do list today is to make 2 pumpkin pies to take to Sara's folks tomorrow---the challenge will be to see if I can take 2 WHOLE pies over... with out a little test piece out of one (that would be tacky right?) Still working on all the old slides of my Dad's but have lots scanned and will eventually e-mail them to the siblings. Will be glad when that job is done!

So... I wish you all a happy "prep day" and will probably see you in the morning

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:15 am

Lois,
I posted this on Saturday. You must have missed it.
Four Winds Traders out of Oregon. Also, https://www.shabbyfabrics.com/p143319/o ... bom?ref=hp
Lori 8-)

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:16 am

Happy Thanksgiving Eve! Well expected a Caregiver this AM but she is a no show. She was fill in so guess I won't hire her anymore. Saves me $100!

Maryz glad you made it safely but too bad you had to drive that extra 145 miles! That's about 3 hrs isn't it in an RV? Are you going to be staying in the RV while you are there? I will have to look up all those patterns. I need to find something to use up all this darn fabric that I have bought and have no plans for. Something scrappy! I guess I could also make small items such as bags, etc.

Flo those cookies sound good, aren't they Wedding cookies? My Mom used to make Pfeffernusse cookies every year. She started when we lived in Europe and continued when we came back to the states. She had about 5 or 6 different cookies she would make every Christmas Eve. I so miss those days.

Judi you wear me out just reading your responsibilities for the day. Remember to breathe and take some time for yourself.

Lois apple pie sounds good. DH and D Dad like pumpkin so that is what I will make. My favorite is Cherry but nobody else prefers it so I usually skip it. There is a little cafe down the road that has it so I order a piece when we go there.

Chriss there are some really good Youtube videos sashing. I usually have to watch one when I am getting ready to join mine. Most of the time it comes out good, but sometimes not. I don't worry about it. I will be making some deviled eggs too today or you could send me some of yours. I will make two pumpkin pies and save the rest for tomorrow.

For those of you interested, Shabby Fabrics is doing a BOM with On Wander Lane, I am seriously considering it. I little pricey but I have time to plan. Not starting till March.

Jana I could get a few things are the grocery but think I will wing it. Safeway will be open tomorrow in an emergency. Stores are just going to be packed today and I don't have the strength (in my mind) to deal with that.

Well Dad is awake, waiting for him to get out of bed. That can take an hour or so. Hoping to make some more progress on my Camel. First two rows are done. Most of the prep for the rest is done too, just a square up here and there and sew them together. No calls last night, about time to clock out so will catch up with everyone down the line somewhere.

Have a wonderfully special day!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Return to “Sew ins”