Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Friday September 23,2022

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Friday September 23,2022

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:41 am

Good morning,,I am up bed made and first cuppa....Ken is working from home doin reports so he brought coffee when I got up. Slept til 7am. (went to bed late)
Liam came over yesrterday to hang out and ride his minibike...He is such a motor freak.....He also cleared the swale( it is a dry ditch that runs along my yard, back in the day it was how water drained from the surrounding area to the river. After sewage pipes were put in and water was diverted tht way the swale was never used again.)...It is grown over with weeds and trees and a few cool plants, It has been over grown for a couple of years, I used to walk it from the river and it was a gentle slope. Well Liam got the brainiy idea to clear it...and he did weed wacking and cuttung and made himeself a riding path right up the swale....In doing so it is a pretty walk. BUT he hit a nest of ground wasps. got about 4-5 bites and they really hurt,,,got him in the shower and cortisone creamed his bites and he was fine,,but it was a bit of excitement. Luckily he is not allergic. We took hom home and stayed at DDs for awhile...Liam went into their hot tub and he was fine.
I am working on a couple of things for my SS....today I will do that....need to run thr sweeper in the dining and living room,,,,
We tried to move the couch from my living room to the basement.....It is not going to go....we took the legs off the railing off the light fixture ff anf still no go....It is just too big, So We have decided to go nd get a sectional for down there,and since they come on pieces it will fit...A 100 yr old house has narrow stairways so it was disappointing...I wanted this comfy old frnture down there,,,now we will have to get new ( Always a hit to the budget)...well thats all the excitement in our life.....hope yours is too..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Re: Friday September 23,2022

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:54 am

Good early morning,

We're having friends over for pork roast dinner tonite so I'm going to be doing some cleaning and cooking today. I finished my Nutcracker quilts and will post a photo when I finish typing this post. I just have the last border to add to the second one and I'll be done. But I've got plenty of messes to clean up in the sewing room so no worries about me getting bored!

VAL - bummer that you were at your Free Sew with nothing to sew! At least you had that small back up project with you. Your CCC quilt is going to be so pretty. Nice that you could fill in the gaps with other fabrics. It seems CA has a lot of brown outs, black outs, power failures, fires, etc. What will y'all do when you have nothing but electric cars?

MARY Q - I did notice that Costco's KIRKLAND brand of acid reducer is no longer Rinitidine but Famotidine. I didn't realize Rinitidine had been taken off the market. My mom always used a teaspoon of baking soda mixed in water. I think club soda would be better than that. At least better for you. And yes, the motorcycle quilt is on the frame, about 1/3 quilted. I need to make a binding for that. And a label. Bill has been going to a good dentist in Algodones (across border from Yuma) for 15 years. He has fillings and crowns done by her and even finished off an implant last winter. She is American trained and does good work. Never had any problems. He gets 6 mo cleanings here in GH, though.

BECCA - you get a lot crammed into one morning! I hope you have a nice visit with your NY friends.

JUDI - are you back in your homey rut yet? Getting any sewing done? I hope Liam is OK after his wasp adventures. Bummer about the couch. And the budget. But the good news is you get to go furniture shopping!

KATHY - you are making progress on those piles! Sometimes they get out of hand so easily. Have you been going to your knitting group lately?

LYN - 287 is the route my sis and dbil usually take, too. We've stayed at KOA in Amarillo with them. I hope you're able to get done everything you need to do before you leave for TX. There is a lot to getting your house, yard, life ready to leave for a long period of time. Plus other committments, projects, etc.

JANA - your colors sound pretty! Here, most of our natural trees just turn brown and drop. A little bit of red and yellow but not much.

DIANE - Binding even two quilts by hand takes a long time. Have you ever tried doing them by machine? It takes some practice, but I can bind a queen quilt in 45 minutes by machine. I had to learn how to do it because I've had hand problems for the past ten years and now I have arthritis in both hands and wrists. But you sew the binding to the back first, and then turn it to the front to stitch it down. And match the top thread to the binding and the bobbin thread to the quilt backing. Once you master it, you'll never want to do a binding by hand again. For someone who is in a group turning out lots of quilts, this would be a real time saver.

Now it's time to go feed my poor starving-clear-to-death fur kids. They are swarming around me, begging for their breakfast while they still have the strength to beg. The service here is pathetic. :lol:

Have a Fab Friday!
mary z
>^+^<

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:58 am

Oh my Judi ground wasps are bad here too dh has gotten stung twice this summer too

Been super busy getting my schedule set for work doing two schools on different time zones too been crazy but got it up and running

We leave Sunday for vacation Edisto island I am so excited to sit on beach and just chill
Lil man upset he doesn’t get to go he has dental work schedule next week has to be put to sleep for fillings

Got my sewing packed to go with me working on sashing for farm girl vintage quilt

Gotta run time to work
hugs 🤗 prayers 🙏 happy stitches 🧵
🐐izzy

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:36 am

Morning
Jdi glad Liam not allergic to wasps, because I am.
Yesterday was long. VA doc running late, VA is 40 minutes from here. Then after appointment drove another 30 to pick up a coil of drainage tubing off Facebook. Joke was on us, coil too big for my little car. Drove 1 hr home, swapped for truck and pick up pup. Then drive the hour back up north. Needless to say I didn't get to grocery store. So that is today which means no forsythia clipping. It was a nice trip. We took back roads which is always peaceful.
Flo

velvet

Post by velvet » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:53 am

Nice sunny start to my day here.

GRAM---we had a ground wasp nest years ago, hubby decided to burn them with gasoline and light it up. I had the water hose all ready if it got (I'm the biggest coward known to man) out of hand.) Happy the problem was solved and no one was hurt.

MARYZ--I do all bindings by machine I couldn't imagine doing them by hand. I have a small area for my machine so I have the quilt mostly on my lap as I bind. You can imagine how hot I get under them. During the winter months it is great, but not in summer months. I cook between the weight and the heat. Well, at least they are done.

IZZY-- Edisto is beautiful and hope you have a great time.

Hubby has a CT scan for his lungs today--the doctor thinks he is a "long hauler" from co-vid. His cough started early July and even after all the meds, nothing has helped. 3 weeks ago we tested positive for covid when we got back from Ireland. I'm sure that didn't help. Please keep him in your prayers today.

Diane

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:02 am

Good morning Everyone,

Well I'm back from the chiropractor and once again I'm back in place I'm sitting in my sewing room here and having a nice cup of hot coffee and sort of taking it easy for now.

Judi sorry to here Liam was bitten by wasp but he's lucky to have a good grandma that new just what to do.

Mary Z your nutcracker quilt is beautiful.
Enjoy your company.

Flo I hope you find the right part for your car.

Izzy enjoy your vacation.

Diane prayers to your DH I hope he gets well soon.

Well thats all the news here I hope you all have a good day.
Lois

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:08 am

Good morning!

A beautiful day here in paradise. Last year, Utah was voted the happiest state, this year we got bumped to 4th, with Minnesota beating us out! Still is paradise to us!

Sarah is making the school run and then back here to lay out some paint lines for where some planting beds go for the sprinkler guy to see. Then we need a run to Costco for milk etc. Sarah had a water leak from her refrigerator and it damaged her kitchen floor in that area. Well, par for the course, the floor in her kitchen is no longer made and that means the whole floor needs to be replaced and the insurance company says they will only do the damaged area. The adjustor is coming today.

I am also altering her new boss's tuxedo. The pants need hems and I am supervising Sarah at taking in the jacket, slightly. It's his performance outfit and since he is the conductor, he needs his arms free, so it's not a lot of sewing.

Kari's interview went well. If she takes it, it's a long commute from here. The opposite way from Daniel's commute. So it's iffy about taking it, if it's offered. Karlie's school is in the middle.

Hopefully I'll sew,
Have fun!
Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:44 am

Good morning my friends. It's going to be a beautiful day today. We are warming up a bit and should see the high 80's this coming week. So so much better than triple digits.

I got a little bit of my elf gift cut out yesterday then Jerry came and asked if I wanted to go for a ride. Funny how he tries to get me to go with him. It starts with how we can go for a drive and to my favorite local thrift store, then he throws in that he wants to take the recycling to the dump. He's a sneaky one.

My dad made the travel arrangements to go to North Carolina (Concord, NC) My cousin is getting married. His mother passed away from cancer and El's Angels sent her a comfort quilt. He is getting married on her birthday in November.

Today will be cutting and sewing. I will make progress today.

Judi, sorry the furniture won't work downstairs. Look at Liam taking it upon himself to make a path to ride on. He's using his thinker. Hope the wasps move on so he can have his fun.

Maryz, if those furry kids weren't so impoverished, I bet they would go on strike. They are likely too weak to hold up the protest signs. Electric cars, Not sure they will be the way to go. We are supposed to change from gas to electric by 2035 but who can afford that? You have to have a plug in station, the electric company will need to upgrade to accommodate the surge in electricity. And if the battery in your electric car goes dead it's over 20k to replace it. And, how do you dispose of the bad battery? Only the privileged will be able to drive. I imagine the oil companies will have their input before it's all said and done.

Izzy, enjoy your vacation. I love the farm girl vintage patterns. I would like to have FGV2 and the Christmas book they have. One day they will be on sale at what I think is a reasonable price, I'm cheap.

Flo, I love going the backroads. Sorry you had to make a second trip but glad you had nice scenery.

Diane, prayers for DH.

Lois, so glad you have been put back in shape. So nice to have those bones tweaked.

Jana, you have so many projects going on. Lots of remodeling and relandscaping. you are a busy girl. Hope Kari either gets the job or not, whichever is best.

Read a great devotion this morning on the You Version website. About listening to God and following his plan. I need to listen more.

I need to do a little Amazon shopping, have breakfast then go play in my room. You all have a marvelous day.
Chriss
Exodus 33:14

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:50 am

Jana, we have State Farm on this house. When the ice maker line froze, we had to get new wood flooring. They no longer made our color, to just fix in kitchen. Insurance paid for all new, kitchen, dining room and across to living room and hall to bedrooms. Tell her to stick to her guns on it.
I'll come back later. Have to go visit the post office about my swap blocks.
Lyn

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:30 am

We too have State Farm, as well does Sarah. We can hope! Thanks Lyn

Return to “Sew ins”