Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday September 17, 2022

Daily discussions.
FlorenceM

Saturday September 17, 2022

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:59 am

Morning
Maryz, not sure of type of blackberries, I just know they are thornless. My forsythia bushes have gone crazy. They are over 5 feet tall and just as wide. They have choked out 3 small dwarf spruce trees so trees are dead. So they need to be dug out too. I will cut them back to 4 inches tall, then transplant them to another part of yard.
Today we have a birthday party for a friends granddaughter.
Flo

grammiequilts

Re: Saturday September 17, 2022

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:48 am

Good Morning,,,it is chilly here but going to 80 and sunny tomorrow it will rain,,,Im not sure what is planned today. was going to go to the beach, but Im the only one who enjoys it,,,my sister does not walk well on sand and Ken is ok but he humors me...so I will let them decide what they want to do today. The other option is thrift stores...there are quite a few in this area. there is another hockey gme today but I dont think we will go to that...Yesterdays game was fun and the kids won...against Columbus blue jackets...some very good looking hockey players. ( I do mean skill wise)
Some hand sewing and reading still going on. everyone is feeling good...Hope you all are doing well too....I think all this talk of yard work has us looking forward to fall clean up when we get home....( maybe looking forward is not the right words)
Have a wonderful day XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:00 am

Happy Saturday!

A whole weekend, empty of plans. The house is clean, the laundry is done, the yard work is caught up - it's a trifecta! Aahhhhh..... What to do . . . what to do . . . ? This is the great thing about being a quilter - we are never bored - we always know what to do. And I'll be working on my SS gift and my Nutcracker log cabin blocks Bill is loading the motorcycle quilt on the frame. Thread dust will be flying around here for the next few days!

FLO - oh, thornless blackberries would be wonderful! I end every berry picking season with scraches on my arms and legs and snagged clothing. I bet your forsythia bushes are beautiful when in full bloom! I have one pitiful bush. It really needs more light. Let me know how the transplanting goes. Mine has already been moved once - with my brother's bulldozer - from my parents' yard about 35 yrs ago. It really doesn't like my yard much.

JUDI - how was the hockey event? I hope you had a lot of fun! Sounds like your weather is holding - at least for today. I'm all for thrift shopping. Maybe you'll find something you can't live without - I get a lot of books from thrift shops. Or fabric. I found an unusual yoyo maker (flower shaped) still in the package once. And if you need a white elephant gift with the holidays coming up - that's the place to shop!

JANA - happy those puppies were found! I bet they are cute. How is Sandee doing? Nice that Daniel is heading up the landscaping project. Lots of perks to having that kid around! :D He certainly is earning his keep. Is he still working two jobs or has he given one up? Did you get that last block done yesterday?

VAL - that is a cool quilt. I love black w/ bright batiks. Some days are like that - Jack rules! If someone is talking to me, I will make mistakes, too (though I can make plenty on my own without help! :lol: ). How was the zoo?

MARY Q - I'm happy to hear you are better! Your fabric awaits! We tried "swinging by" your place one year, remember? Snowstorm on our tail and all the campgrounds closed and dark rolling in! . We found a closed campground, moved the sawhorse barricade, drove in, replaced the barricade, and made camp anyway. We registered, paid (gave ourselves a nice off-season discount), and hooked up to power only. Maybe we'll run into your brother in Texas? Do you know where he plans to hang out this winter? We'll be mainly in west Austin but might go to Mission area in Jan for a few weeks. J.A. Jance is one of my very favorite authors! I've met her in person and corresponded with her a few times, and have almost all of her books. I love her Beaumont series set in Seattle and surrounding environs. Many of her action scenes take place in real locations; from restaurants to towns to parks. Once she set the murder about 1/4 mile from our house!! I know the book you mentioned - we've been to most of the places she put in the book. She writes 3 more series, one set in Bisbee, AZ. We've actually tracked down some of the locations there, too, just for fun. She was born in S.D., grew up in Bisbee, and now lives in Seattle and Tucson.

DIANE - what a fun way to make a qov quilt! I love batiks. I think you are right - there will be good movement in your quilt with the fabrics you chose.

LYN - Glad you found that campground! I'm sure it was a relief to get off the road. I think we've stayed in Wray but can't recall the cg. Some towns have great little parks. Nice to have some comedy to top off a stressful day.

LORI - cake and coffee - what a great afternoon break! Are you sewing this weekend?

Last night some friends came by for supper and I made chicken noodle soup, salad, rolls, and a store-bought lemon cream pie. Today I'm going to pour on the coal and get some more log cabin blocks made as soon as I clean up my sewing room a bit to make room to work. We noticed a large tree fell over our neighbor, Vicki's driveway this past week. Her driveway is almost impassible already due to overgrowth. We've alerted fire and EMS to use our driveway if they were to get a call. Saturday is the day her son usually comes down from Seattle to bring her groceries. He has no way to remove the tree so we'll see if he comes knocking on our door for help. Bill will do it if asked, but the last time we called the son with a problem concerning his mom, he hung up on us, so we don't feel inclined to offer to solve their problems. But we will if asked.

Wishing us all a great weekend!
mary z
>^+^<

Becca

Post by Becca » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:45 am

Good morning everyone sunny here today
Judi Enjoy your day whatever you do beach or thrift stores

Flo My Mom & Dad had the thornless berries They were good but I just didn’t like the big seeds they had but such a joy to pick
I also have about 6 forsythia bushes They do get big if you let them I keep some small & others I let go because they are in the right place

Maryz You are always being productive one way or another Tell me the name of Author you love that lives in Seattle I am always on the look out for a good Author

Maryq So glad you are feeling better Take care of yourself

Valerie Hope Dad is as well as possible

Chris You must have a good knowledge of the Medicare by now I know it’s a complicated process Kudoos to you for trying to help seniors
And for your family outings

It’s going to be a slower paced day I hope CA has had 2 falls this week That makes for a bad situation Plus he’s dehydrated The EMT come yesterday to check him
It’s just a day to day or minute by minute situation
Have a great day to all. Becca

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:05 am

Good morning!

I did get the last block done. It was a flying geese block, done with the embroidery module. Very strange way to make a set of three geese in a row. Heck, I could have done if faster the old fashioned way! Then I trimmed all the blocks to the right sizes. I have the Kimberbell orange pop rulers, which makes it easy. Except, I am chicken to cut exactly using their method, so I cut with a pencil line drawn first, then use my regular, favorite ruler and double dheck, before I cut. There's a lot of work and time in each block. No boo boos this time in trimming. Then the worst thing happened! I have a touch screen computer on my sewing machine, which went all haywire! It did this once before. I am afraid it is going out and will need a big repair! Michael says to continue using the machine, as right now it's a intermittent failure, which is extremely difficult to troubleshoot, so until it breaks completely, I'll baby my machine and then take it in. It will be a expensive repair and if it can't be repaired, he has been informed that I will get a new embroidery machine, despite new cost. No argument so far from him. So I will assemble the top this morning.

Not much else here. Kari got home safely and our nephew will be by this morning. Heard on the radio yesterday, that yesterday was 100 days to Christmas. Just thought I'd pass that on to y'all. Now it's 99.

Enjoy the day,
Hugs,
Jana

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:36 am

Good late morning,
All of my house hold chores are done so now the rest of the day is mine :lol: .

I'm working on SS gifts till I'm finished then I will see what's next on the dockets.
I can't believe my grandaughter Olivia turned 23 today I can remember when Sandi went into labor it was during hurricane Floyd.

Well thats all the news from here I hope everyone is having a nice day.
Lois

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:42 am

Good Morning Girls

Rolled over and looked at the clock this morning and JUMPED out of bed!! Oh my gosh 0945!!! Just kidding , I didn't jump! But creaked out of bed and thought "oh dear, I've over slept AGAIN! Today is the day I promised myself I would completely clean the house.. Dust, vac, do floors, and all those other nasty places that get dirty and gross. First load of laundry is in so I've gotten start... Will be a full-pot-of-coffee day!

Flo... When I googgled forsythia yesterday, the plants looked so pretty.. bright yellow, but I can see how they would take over and kill off other stuff. Are they going back further in your yard in a space of their own?

Judi.... Glad to hear you area all feeling better! A trip to the local thrift stores sounds like a fun idea. You just never know what you'll find. Maryz always has good luck at them.. me---not so much !

Maryz.... Normally I'm not much of a reader... but I am enjoying that book. I grabbed it at the drugstore when I needed something to read while I was getting my hair colored. I might have to actually go to our local library and see if I can find more books by her.. It's kind of relaxing to sit and read after a 6 hours at the sewing machine. You are SEW right... we are never bored. My friend Peg and I keep seeing cool things that a person could make and sell and think "Oh we could do that!" I have a garage full of fabric at my disposal, so I could easily just whip up a few fun things. BUT first I have quilts to finish!!! and lots of them!

Becca... You are so often in my thoughts and prayers. I so hope that you have lots of help nearby. Does CA have a home care nurse or someone that comes by regularly?

Jana... OH gosh... your screen is going out!!!??? Do you secretly hope that the whole thing crashes so you CAN get a new one? :lol: :lol: :lol: I saw a Brother (I think it was anyway) at the place I got my machine... HUGE machine. I forget the hoop size, but it was BIG... $23,000.00 YIKES. That's more than I paid for my car!! I hope yours does hang in there for a little longer, and can get you through Christmas sewing at least!

Lois.... ALl your chores are done!!! Wanna come and swing a dust rag with me! :lol: :lol: My Mom used to have a saying... "if you can't remember the last time, it's been too long" and since I can't remember the last time I dusted around here.... it's been too long! And I figure if I get all the chores done today... I'll be able to play allllll next week!

So,.... if I want to play... I better get to work now! Need more coffee and some rocking music.

Wishing you all a great Saturday!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:46 pm

Good evening. It was a great day today.

Jerry and I went to one of my favorite towns, Sonora, Ca. First was the farmers market where we bought some blackberries and peaches. They will be put into the freezer for future pies. Then breakfast and a quilt show. I was surprised that fabric wwas between 12 and 13 dollars a yard. I didn't buy anything. Sorry my elf, but there will be another show in October maybe I will find you something there.

Valerie, how was the zoo? Is there one in your town? Our closest zoo is Fresno, I haven't been in years. Not sure if I will be going to the quilt show in Santa Clara, I got the post card telling me about it in today's mail. I'm on the fence, sure wish it was closer.

Jana, my dad was telling me about a train (car, engine or caboose?) that was transfered from I believe Oregon to a train museum in Nevada. It had to be transfered by, I believe truck but it was two trucks, one pushed and the other pulled. It took 5 days. He said it was on You Tube. I thought of Michael.

Lois, happy birthday to Miss Olivia.

Now it's time for my yogurt, strawberries and granola. Hope you all have a great night.
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”