Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday September 8th

Daily discussions.
patches4

Thursday September 8th

Post by patches4 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:47 am

Good morning all quilters
Cool start to a sunny day here. Doing some laundry and sewing tops for charity. Looking at crossroad pattern by Lori Holt and Good night Irene pattern by Jenny Doan. Thought either would express hugs and kisses. I think it may go together quickly????? Have a friend having double mastectomy and wanted her to always have a hug from me! Well I still may give it a try, now overthinking and doubting my choice. Does anyone else worry yourself out of a project? Just afraid to start and feel it won’t be good enough. UGH.
Thanks for listening, I just want to help others so much.
Have a great day. Be happy, safe, well and blessings to all.
Hugs
TinaB
Patches4 i

grammiequilts

Re: Thursday September 8th

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:10 am

Good morning Tina and all, Here at Camp wobegone....Ken is still covid posotive and we had a televisit with our family Dr this morning,,,He ordered the Paxlovid and we will go pick it up in a few. Hoping it is covered and that the pharmacy actually has it. Actually Ken is feeling ok he just cant go anywhere Our son is sick but not too bad....He doesnt want to talk about it so I dont know the details. (kids)
Things are quiet here at camp and since the weather is so good I spend a lot of time hand sewing out in my favirite rocking chair,,( camping folding rockers are the bomb) mine is pink.
Very relaxing and although Ken is coughing and sleeping in the recliner we are firing pretty well.
Im Off o the pharmacy...hope your day is un eventful .....by the way we have found 3 quilt shops near here,,,,let the adventure begin,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:39 am

Good morning,

I slept 8 hrs through the night last night! Hooray! With no PM meds or anything else. It's good to be me this morning!

LORI, VAL, and CHRISS - I really feel for you in the heat. It's definitely wet tee shirt time! That's my AC method in super hot weather. It helps! Hopefully that hurricane off the Pacific Coast will bring you cooler temps soon.

MARY Q - sorry about the lost card. You do have it cancelled now, right? Though without your PIN no one could use it, could they? You are really getting good with your new embroidery machine! Nice to have a fun new toy. Do you still do hand embroidery? You take Claritin every night? Don't those kinds of meds raise your blood pressure? I sure don't need that! I just went on BP meds yesterday. That was quite a haul on thread that you made yesterday. Next thing, you'll be looking at thread cabinets!

VAL - sorry about all the heat down your way. I bet you have to not only worry about appliances heating the up the house, but timing the use of electricity so your grid doesn't overload and go *POOF*!. An insomniac section would be great, wouldn't it? I have trouble turning my mind off when I turn the light off. But sometimes I forget to drink enough water during the day - especially hot days. And sometimes, it's just because I'm 71 and I've learned it's not uncommon for people (especially women!) of "a certain age" to have trouble sleeping. If I'm going to hit the trifecta, this isn't the one I want to hit!

JANA - Bummer!! No one likes to get up to a puddle of water under their appliances! Hope that gets resolved quickly. And am I seeing a new fridge in your near future? When our friends remodeled their house, they put in two refrigerators - Identical but with doors opposite so it kind of looks like one giant french door fridge, freezer on bottom. They love it as at the time, they were having lots of family around and needed the space. I can see that working well for you and your gang. I hate my fridge, but so far I haven't found a better one and this one is only 2 yrs old. I will live with it, I guess. You are going to have a bench pillow for every single season, just like your skinnies. Your little girls will love that!

SUZETTE - The largest thing I will quilt on my sewing machine is a table runner. After I did a queen quilt it took my neck and shoulders and back weeks to get over it. That's when I bit the bullet and bought a quilting machine. It has paid for itself many times over. You make a lot of quilts. Have you ever thought about it? Sometimes you can find a good deal on used ones. You do need space for it, though. Enough space to scoot around the end of it to the back. We keep ours 18" from the wall. And a 17" throat gives you just 10" of stitching room - max. None of that was made clear when we bought ours.

CHRISS - How are things going in your heat. Any cooling in your near future? A bummer that sewing requires ironing - a real heat producer on it's own!

JUDI - Glad to hear Ken is doing OK, all things considered. Hopefully, since he's vaccinated, he'll have a light case. Bill's case when we were in TX in our trailer could have been a lot worse but he was still sick enough he said it was the worst he's ever felt. And how are YOU? I hope the weather is good enough so you can sit outside and soak up the warmth. Good thing you brought along lots of hand sewing. I just got one of those camp rockers - a gift from my sister and DBIL. I love it!

LOIS - are you getting any of the flooding that we saw on the news the other night?

TINA - I say go for it! Make that quilt(s)! It will be beautiful to your friend because you made it. I have this saying in my sewing room? "Forget the perfect offering. There's a crack in everything. That's where the lights gets in". Leonard Cohen

Yesterday was my annual non-physical exam. With Medicare, that's all you get unless you make another appt to talk about any other issues. I was given 3 words to remember at the end of my appt, had to draw interlocking shapes, write a sentence using a noun and a verb, walk across the room and back, and other "old folk" issues. You'll be glad to know I passed them all! I got a pneumonia shot because my records were confusing to her even though I'd had two in past years. Then we went and got flu shots at the pharmacy. We'll make appts next week to go get the new Covid boosters. We also went dishwasher shopping AGAIN. We found a Bosch at Home Depot and they SAY it will be delivered Sept 19. We'll see. This is the third store, the third dishwasher, and the 6th delivery date we've been given. I'm not holding my breath.

In more interesting news, I finished my 16 blocks for my motorcycle quilt. Now to start putting them together, framing the panel I bought. Then I will start my letter blocks for the bottom part of the quilt. I want to get this one "in the can" so I can start on my two Nutcracker Suites. Autumn has been super busy the past many weeks but she did finally get back to me and gave her happy approval to using all the FQ's she sent to make log cabins. I'll need to get busy. I would LIKE to have them finished before we leave for Texas - in 9 weeks. :o Plus I have a quilt on the frame that is half-quilted already, but the frame has been pushed to the side of the room to accomodate family and we haven't put it back yet. And I have my black/batik leaf quilt waiting in the queue. And fall yard work is looming. It's getting busy here!

I'm going to be in my sewing room today if anyone comes looking for me - and maybe an hour or so outside this afternoon.

mary z
>^+^<

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:05 am

Good morning Tina ,Judi and all who follow,

Tina I Alway go with what I would like.

Judi so happy Ken is getting medicine before you know it he will be right as rain.
Lucky you 3 Quilt shops to visit.

We started early with our cleaning Bill is now vacuuming then wash the floors and we will be done.

Yesterday I made a Halloween table topper and am sending it to Rosie she loves all of that.

Mary Q fatcat patterns has a couple of Halloween free patterns.

Well I have to go put stuff in the dryer Everyone have a great day.
Lois

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:14 am

Good morning!

Starting off to be another hot day here. Over 100 and maybe another day for the record books.

Well, the sink saga will drag on until tomorrow. We decided not to put back one of the old pieces to the dishwashers and ordered a new one to replace it. It will be here tomorrow. And I have a half sink that can be used. So the few dirty things will be hand washed - yuk, and more yuk! I absolutely detest, hate, and every other word that describes that, doing dishes by hand! So diner will be cooked by someone else and served on paper!

We have a short run today to get Karlie and Ethan from school. Other than that, I will be sewing. Or getting the next project cut and bagged.

Aaron had /has to deal with a sad situation of a old lady who is a hoarder. It was so bad, he couldn't even get in places in the house to make an accessment. The situation was learned by Fire having been called last week because she needed medical attention. Kate was on that call. Fire reported it through proper channels, which then got Aaron involved. The woman was removed yesterday, put in a motel for a couple of days and the home had to be tagged unfit for habitation. Such a sad situation. The many animals she had were taken to a shelter for care, as they were in dire need as well. Then as part of this call, there are many RV's, etc, parked on the property, being stored there. The lady said they were family members vehicles. Turns out, that was a huge lie, as a guy showed up to park his rig as Aaron was there. Aaron, of course, talked to this person, with his body cam running and the guy told Aaron he was renting a space for his rig storage. A big no no with out proper permits, etc. Aaron asked the guy how he learned about this property and the guy answered that the local storage unit place, by name, had run out of rental spaces and gave him this as a alternative. So now not only is Aaron dealing with the old lady, a new can of worms with the storage unit place skirting code rules. He will be busy for awhile. So we joke with Aaron, don't lie to your lawyer, bishop, doctor or Aaron! You'll always get caught!

Well, time to scrounge up some breakfast by not making a mess,

Hugs and prayers,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:28 am

Good Morning...

Man I must be up early! I even beat Lois and she's usually here way before me! Even with an hour time difference between us! Think this will be the last day of our September heat wave... 89* predicted. Not looking forward to going out today.

Tina... Oh my gosh... you do that too? Have a great idea and then worry worry worry that it won't turn out the way you want and give up on it? That helps explain the pile of UFO's I have... Projects I start thinking it will be so cute, the it doesn't! UGH... My theory... go with your gut! It's usually right!

Judi.... Oh Gosh.... what are the odds.... all this time, and with vaccines and everything... and Ken gets IT! Hope the meds have him feeling better in no time. AND that you don't get it! Hard to stay away from him in a camper! But I guess if you have to "stay put" you're in a pretty spot and have sewing to do!

Maryz.... Here's a thought....maybe elevated BP was keeping you awake at night? Claritan is a "non drowsy" allergy med, but I think it helps keep my sinuses clear so I'm not gasping for air in the night. I must be getting a lot of good REM sleep, because MAN oh MAN , am I dreaming a LOT (DEX often pops up in the dream--might need to see a shrink to figure out why that is :lol: ) Oh yes still embroider by hand too,.. that's my TV watching thing. Since my Dr. recommended the Claritan, I'm not too worried about it with my BP. Will keep my fingers crossed that your DW arrives on time!!!

Lois.... There you are! Thanks for the tip on the Fat Cat pattern!! I downloaded the Halloween one and may go back for the owls. My neighbor across the street LOVES Owls! Bill vacuums and washes the floors?????? Keep that guy for sure!!!

Not sure how much time I'll be able to spend in the sewing room today. Kevin is meeting me at KC's place to bring her one of those big jewelry cabinets. It belonged to some friends of my folks and when they passed away I got it and gave it to Corinne, but they are remodeling her bedroom and she doesn't have room for it. Of course I thought KC would like it and she does ! So KC is about 1/2 between Kevin and I and he has a van to haul it in. I'll stay for a brief visit but then I need to get home and get some projects done here. The baby quilt top is done, so I need to find the backing for it... the goal is to get it quilted over the weekend.

And now my coffee is cold and I need a shower.....

wishing you all a productive day.... and if it's a lazy day... well... that's okay too!

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:55 am

Good morning all! Up early today because have a couple of errands to run. Just saw on TV that Queen Elizabeth is possibly nearing the end. I have always liked her and enjoyed reading about her. Prayers going out for her and her family.

Got my lawn mowed yesterday. Boy was it long. Today will just take it easy because the clay yard I have always gives me lots of bumps while I mow so I ache afterwards. It does look nice though. Will be watching my Cubs game this afternoon.

Well, better get going. Hope everyone has a good and safe day.
Sherry

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:45 am

Good Sunny Cooling Morning...........

Wish I could send my cooling tempts to all that needed some. The Hummingbirds have gone away, sign of the end of summer.

Todays plan is dirty dishes in the washer, folding laundry & sewing room(filing papers & sewing) I want to move my desk out of the sewing room but I just can't find a good spot for it. I really could use more storage....like all of us. I can't seem to go into a room & think "where can the desk go? where will it work?"

TinaB......your friend will live any quilt you make. What colors does she like? Pick a pattern you'll like working on so you can sew all you good vibes into it.

Judi......prayers for Ken may he feel better every day & the Paxlovid work fast. :)
Sounds heavenly pink rocking & sewing....enjoy!

Maryz.......good news to hear you had a good sleep. Happy to hear you "rocking" the old issues. I seem to know many people having to replace those appliances, refrigerators are getting so fancy. My Sara just a new frig. It has a middle drawer & makes 2 sizes of ice!!
Hope your comes as fast as the said. Your due for a break. Happy dance to 16 finished blocks. Can't wait to see it.

Lois.....always nice to hear a DH helping with the cleaning.

Jana......I'm sorry you have the hot heat. Wish I could send my cooling temps.
Remember to use hand cream to keep dish pan hands at bay. OMG...Aaron just never knows what he'll find on a call. I hope she can gets & accepts help.

Maryq.......happy, one more heat wave bits the dust! I bet the jewelry cabinet is lovely. She'll have fun filling it with her jewels.

Sherry........Queens sick? That will really shake their country. Prayers for all of them. My lawn was mowed yesterday also. Talked about fall clean up!

Love & Prayers.........Kathy

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:00 am

I just read that Queen Elizabeth has passed away. I figured this was close as I saw a headline yesterday saying her family was gathering. I remember when she ascended the throne. I was only about six years old and was loving the sleeping beauty and Cinderella stories. And then hearing so much about Prince Philip in the news I transferred that to the prince in the stories. I thought they were Prince Philip too. It was all one big fairytale to me. She has been so long a major fixture on the world stage. I feel a loss of some kind.

Mz

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:02 am

Mary, I just read she wasn't well. She lived a very full life.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”