Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

August 16th Tuesday

Daily discussions.
auntjana

Re: August 16th Tuesday

Post by auntjana » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:48 am

Yes, Kari has that adorable picture as they are walking away together into the school. They have identical backpacks too - Ethan's is blue galaxy of stars, Karlie's is the same, but pink and purples. The picture shows the backpacks.

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:33 am

I think I've woke up in the PNW, cloudy, damp and a cool 55*. We got a 1/2" of rain overnight and about 1/4" yesterday afternoon. Not sure how much we got on Sunday, but it was more than an inch. More rain today, says the weather app.

MaryZ, Big Thompson flood of 1976 was awful, but it only affected the one canyon. The 2013 flood hit Big Thompson, and the canyons Hwy 36 & 7 are in, and other canyons, but not as bad. As MaryQ noted, the flood waters hit Greeley and other towns on the flat lands, big time. It was a mess, but there was more warning than the 1976 flood. That one took about 139 people, some never found. It was like someone took a huge bucket and poured on the canyon, just below Estes Park, and just kept pouring more rain for several hours. My brother, Larry, was commandeered by the sheriff's office to fly his helicopter up the canyon to Drake, where they set up a staging area. For the first few days he flew the living out, then sadly he spent more than a week flying those they found, who didn't make it.

Jana, Happy Anniversary!! I know Little Cottonwood Canyon well, loved it. I lived in West Jordan from 1985 to 1992. Sometimes I would take a 'me' drive up the canyon a ways and just sit and listen to the river and have a talk with God. Always felt better afterwards. As for Park City, I would go up there a time or two in the winter. You know, when SLC gets socked in and you don't see the sun for 2 weeks. The times when I was able to be a stay at home Mom, I would get the girls to school and drive up to Park City for a few hours, just to see the sunshine. I would just walk around and look, only bought a snack and soda cause money was tight. But, oh the sunshine was always worth that drive!!
Ethan sounds like a wonderful cousin, not all boys would do that. He's being raised right for sure!!

MaryQ, I think I would get in trouble at your fabric warehouse. Glad you found some fabric to go with what you already have. As for the 2013 flood and flood insurance....we live on a Mtn side and had 3 inches of water in the sewing room, 3/4 bath and oversized garage and storage area. It came up through the floor. I called State Farm and they asked if we had flood insurance, knowing we didn't. Then they just said, sorry can't help you, you're not covered for this!! Why would I need flood insurance on a Mtn side?? But, if it keeps raining like it has been, I might just call and ask how much it costs.

I need to decide if I'm taking the MH to the shop this afternoon, and they will plug it in to keep frig going, or get up very early, for me, and take it in tomorrow morning at 8:30. That would require me leaving here about 6:30 to get down the Mtn, get MH out of the garage, hook up the Jeep and drive 15 miles up to shop. I will ponder over it as I cut out some lotto fabric.

I hope everyone has a good day in whatever you are doing.
Lyn

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:43 am

Good afternoon al! Still feeling better but can't seem to get rid of my cough or this tired feeling. Just can't seem to have any ambition to do anything but sit in recliner. Did do laundry and ran vacuum yesterday but that was it. Wish I could get my appetite back.

Looks like all of you have been very busy. I still need to read some of your posts and get caught up with your activities. Well, everyone have a good day and stay safe.

Sherry

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:58 pm

Good afternoon girlfriends. It's been a busy morning. I thought I had a zoom at 10 am but read the time incorrectly. It was 10 EST. I happen to be a PDT girl. The meeting was at 7am my time. I was able to attend.

Then I hit the grocery store. I was able to find everything except for dog food and turkey lunch meat. Moose doesn't need the 50 pound bag of dog food, which was on the shelf, but the size he needed wasn't in stock. And it appears that turkey is going to be hard to find. I have heard on the news that there is a turkey shortage. I also have seen the turkey farm on my way to town and it is full of birds. So where is my turkey lunchmeat? I take Jerry to the dentist on Thursday, while he is being drilled, I will go see if I can find what I want at a couple of other stores.

Judi, I love sun tea. I make it at least every other day. I'm a heavy drinker. Our garden didn't do worth a darn this year. I've read it was the unpredictable weather. Hot and cold. And the lack of bees. The number of bees and butterflies here is dwindling. We so need both. I am going to plant plants that attract both. Can't plant now but will this next year.

Suzette, I want a rainy sew day. hope you got lots done.

Lois, you are very welcome, cute isn't it? Love the $1.25 store. Does yours have fabric and yarn in their craft section? I found these small cutting mats, scissors, bodkins and fabric at mine. Love the cutting mat, it's perfect for small things. I think it's 6x8.

Katy, what state do you live in? sounds like the perfect garden. We also have an abundance of squirrels. UGH.

Maryz, you and your sister are plotting. What did your brother say about the spiders? We had a plastic bug that Marilyn had gotten out of a gum machine. It showed up just about everywhere in this house. Not sure where it ended up. What did you have with your twiced baked potatoes. My cousin lives in NC, he's my dad's brother's brat. I'll check both of those quilt places tomorrow. I bet it's Keepsake and not CT.

Flo, sounds like everything fell in line yesterday, hope you're caught up.

Jana, sounds like your family alone supports the school district. That's a whole bunch of students, you should get an award from the school board. Hope you had a great trek and found something special at the Christmas store.

Kathy, I am so ready for cooler weather. Would love to get a quilt out. I don't bring out winter clothes to store summer clothes and visa versa. All my clothes hang all the time, but I thought, that perhaps, if I stored my winter clothes winter might come early? Enjoy your nice cool extra quilt needing weather.

Maryq, I'd fly out of Fresno most likely, it's the closest. My cousin lives in Concord, NC and I think that they have an air port. My dad is handling everything. What was your POTD?

Lyn, well? what did you decide. Did the MH go today, or will it go tomorrow? I missed what you are having done to it. Your YOU drives sound like they were very relaxing and peaceful. I don't have any place like that here, but it would be nice.

Sherry, hope you get your energy back soon. Have you gone to the doctor to see if you need a vitamin or something to help?

Lori, I will check AQS, thanks

Tomorrow, it's all about me. hope the same is true for you

Chriss
Psalm 91

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:04 pm

Just a quick asking for prayers of comfort for my family. Today while we were out, our Scott across the street had a full blown cardiac arrest and passed away, even as my Daniel was performing CPR on him. Fire came as well.

We will get through this time and trial in our lives, but prayers are so much appreciated. Thank you!

Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:18 pm

prayers said and will be said again. Give his wife a hug from me, I am so sorry for your loss.

so not what I was hoping to read when I opened this thread.
Psalm 91

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:13 am

Good morning,

I'm sure this will be quick. Some folks in the family get up a early as I do so someone will be showing up for coffee on the deck soon.

JANA - O M G. I'm so sorry to hear this about your Scott! You all must be in shock. I am so so very sorry. I will be saying a prayer for his soul, for Sandee, and for all of you. I guess the episode last Sunday was the precursor to this. I don't know if I ever asked, but do they have kids?

MARY Q - I'm saying this with love, mind you, but you were good at the fabric store - all you bought was fabric! :lol: :lol: :lol:

FLO - glad your son's truck is back on the road. My brother is owner/operator so when his truck breaks down he fixes it himself (or has it done), pays for it himself, and is down until he can roll again. His last repair cost more than $25,000.

SHERRY - easy does it. It takes a while before you get your full strength back.

LOIS - I was showing my sister the Book Nerd pattern yesterday (gathering possible projects to take to TX this summer) and remembered someone else was thinking of doing it. Was that you? And did you start gathering fabrics for it yet? Or did I make this all up in my mind?

LYN - you have had too many 100 yr floods in recent past!

JANA again - Happy Anniversary. You celebrate the way my parents always did - a traipse usually across the mountains, taking a different pass each direction. Finding some adventure. We kind of do the same thing but since we retired, our traipse is usually longer.

KATY - I hope you love your new machine. My Maytags are so old, and I love them, but I know the new ones aren't near the machine they used to be. When the time comes, I'll be seriously looking at Speed Queen.

KATHY - How is your grass? Is your grass person coming on a schedule or was he a one time shot?

I'm having a terrific time with my siblings! The four of us got a couple of hours just to ourselves to catch up and just be together. We last saw Gene in 2019 on our last trip to Alaska. And while there, Tina flew up and stayed with us in our trailer while we visited at Gene's house. Teese last saw him when Jim was so sick Feb of 2016. Gene said he thought we should start getting together like this at least once a year. Gene's wife is at end stages of Alzheimers. She has been in a facility in FBX almost 2 yrs now. He visits her most days. He said it now takes 2 people and a hoyer lift to get her out of bed. But she is still his sweetie. She doesn't know it but he does. :)

Today I have chiropractor. Then I don't know what we'll be doing. Bill had a dr appt at 1:00. Maybe we'll go to the cemetery a mile down the road to visit our parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and our brother, Jim. Quite a crowd there.

You all have a superb day! And special hugs to you, Jana,

mary z
>^+^<

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:25 am

Jana,
I am so sorry for your loss. You will miss Scott. Prayers and blessings to Sandy and all of your family.
Carol

Return to “Sew ins”