Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday, August 14th

Daily discussions.
suzette58

Sunday, August 14th

Post by suzette58 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:15 am

Good morning everyone.
Before I forget, is anyone else having trouble with getting stuff that you order through the mail? I ordered a book from Amazon and got a DVD about Mozart. I have also ordered batting and it was coming through Kentucky and is in NJ. The last time I looked at a map we were kinda a straight shot from Kentucky. Today I am going to go walk for my exercise and then come home and fussy cut some blocks for a baby quilt. I hope everyone has a great day.
Suzette

fabricgirl

Re: Sunday, August 14th

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:49 am

Good morning suzette,

Yes now that you mentioned it my daughter ordered dog toys from Amazon and she got a breast pump.
About a month ago I ordered something from missouri star it went all over the Midwest before I got it and that took a month
I'm sure everyone could relate.
Today I have to do some wash and that will be my day.
Judi congratulations on your newest gg grandaughter and such a cute name enjoy.

Well time for me to get off I have lots to do.
Have a great day.
Lois

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:14 am

Lois - I wish I could pick who ships my orders. But, I guess one is as bad as the other.
Suzette

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:32 am

Good morning!

Yes, I have had packages fly right over Utah, to back east before coming back to me. So far, always got what was ordered, nothing that wasn't in my order.

Finished the one bench pillow with flowers in flower pots and it's on my bench now. Sarah went over to the LQS to get fabric for the Cup of cheer Advent calendar quilt we are making. Another Kimberbell quilt. I decided to stitch around all the applique on the Halloween pillow with invisible thread rather than use my LA. Just use my regular machine. I have a second kit - Sarah's- for another Halloween bench pillow that I will get marked and done. She too has a bench. Also I have 2 kits for a Thanksgiving pillow. Sarah is always getting me to do two! That girl!

Karlie is ready for the start of school Monday. She and Kari went and got some more cute bows for her hair. That's about all the extra expression with wearing a uniform for school.. it's pants or a skirt,, or jumper in khaki or navy blue,, with a polo shirt in a couple of colors. Karlie has a large streak of being a tomboy, but Kari tries hard with bows for her hair.

Tonight all the kids will be over for dinner - a baked potato bar with trimmings. It will be a early night with getting a first grader in bed at a decent time..

Not much else here, no sewing until tomorrow- we have church a bit later this morning,
Hugs,
Jana

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:38 am

Good morning It is a gloomy day here but aGood day...If you didnt read we have a new great grand daughter Navy Nichole...Mom and baby are doing fine. will be going home today, We will try to get over to theor new house to see her this week/ Due to restrictions at the hospital my son has not been able to meet his first grand daughter,,,Im sure he will do so today...
We were up and out by 630 as the doggies need theor morning constitutional..Now we are up and dressed and the doggies are asleep on the floor. Ken brought me coffee to my sewing room this morning as he watches news on his computer, I stay away from news,,,,
I did get a lot of hexis done last night while I watched discovery+ there is a good series on the magnolia channel called " From the Source" It is about how things are grown or made...it is very interesting...
Well I think it might just be time to get moving...I will head out to scavenger hunt this morning for a few things,,,and stock up the freezer this week again...
Hope you all have a great day....My word of the day is relaxation....lets do a lot of it XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Lois and Suzette so far packages are coming as they should here. Sorry you all are having issues...I just ordered some new glue sticks yesterday and according to the email they will be delivered today from Amazon...but we have 2 amazon warehouses not too far from the house.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:02 am

Good morning,

It's going to be a purrfect day here - starting out at 56* and going to 80*. :D

JUDI - congratulations on your new little DGGD! Her name is different but I like it! Do you use a glue pen or stick on your hexies? Do you run it on each edge like Sue Daley did in her tutorial or just a dab in the center? When is Cheyanne due back?

SUZETTE - So, did you enjoy your Mozart CD? :lol: I was telling Bill, my computer guru, about that and LOIS's DD's dog toy/breast pump order. He laughed but said it's a computer glitch that causes these kinds of errors. We are still waiting for a comforter and an iron (2 different orders, 2 months apart) from 2-1/2 years ago.

LOIS - ditto here - in 2020 I ordered something from QIAD and they shipped it immediately but it took almost 3 weeks to get to us in TX. But that was a USPS issue. I was sweating that because we were almost ready to leave TX to come home. And don't get me started on Dell shipping my computer that same winter! Argghhh!!

JANA - at least Karlie has choices for her uniform. I went to St. Leo's all 12 years. We wore blue & white pleated, plaid jumpers with a short-sleeved white blouse and a blue cardigan. White ankle or knee high sox. For EIGHT years. No changes until high school when we switched to blue and white pleated plaid skirts instead of jumpers. And a blazer instead of a sweater. But I have to say, I loved wearing uniforms.

FLO - well, your family's day really took a left turn! Will your son be off work for a while until they either fix his truck or find him a new one?

KATHY - I am chuckling - your cleaning child! And you are paying her while you teach her. But if she's willing to learn and does a good job when she learns how, then more power to you both!

MARY Q - My kids finally got to the age where for school shopping (clothes) I gave them cash, took them to the Mall, turned them loose on their own with friends, and warned them to choose wisely - it was all they were going to get. One DD chose EXPENSIVE jeans and only had enough money left for a top. The other figured out if she wanted more clothes she had to buy less expensive ones. I told them to buy underwear first! lol! Both girls were happy. My son just wanted me to go buy stuff. He didn't want to be bothered with shopping himself.

CHRISS - did you find good stuff at the SPCA cart sale? I love shopping at thrift shops that benefit animals or community. Goodwill helps people, too, but it's Big Business now.

LYN - how much property do you have there in Estes? Enough that you could drag your limbs to a slash pile in a back corner? We have room in our woods and it seems no matter how much we toss on the pile over the years, it never grows higher. And it's a good shelter for little critters. And we don't have to deal with limbs and trimmings.

JANA - congrats to Sara on ordering her new car. I saw a Toyota ad last night and the Toyota spokeswoman in the red shirt that's in all their commercials was riding in a semi turtle truck with the driver and she assured us that they are working hard to get cars to customers! I'm sure Sara's is on it's way. The Toyota lady said so! We also have all our high furniture earthquake strapped. Autumn used to have a bronze colored, aluminum Christmas tree that was 5 feet tall and 1 foot wide! When it was in the way, she would just grasp it by the top and set it someplace else! lol!

We are all ready for company. So yesterday was kind of a free day. I did 3 loads of laundry plus pet blankies. And I got my Autumn Jewels top together. Yay! Today Ill figure out backing for it. I have all my backing fabrics in two totes - cotton in one and flannel in another. I'm sure I have something that will suit. I'll post a photo in a bit. After doing the backing I'll clean my sewing room. Sewing with black fabric can be messy. I have black dust and "crumbles" all over!

Enjoy your day!

mary z
>^+^<

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:35 am

Good Morning Girls

Guess what??? I got to put on sweatpants this morning....It's a bit chilly but I'm loving getting out the sweatpants instead of shorts! I'm sure it will warm up later but it feels so cozy to wear sp's again!

Suzette... Sorry to chuckle, but that is kind of funny... to get a CD on Mozart! My Mom would have loved that. It does kind of make you wonder with all the technology and the scanners etc that things seem to take the long way around the country before they get to you. Do you suppose they had trouble getting it to you because of the flooding in KY?

Lois... I've heard a lot of people have trouble with shipping from MSQ... but I think it's Fedex--the carrier they use. I ordered a 2.5" ruler to replace the one I lost ( and still haven't found) and got it in 4 days! I was surprised. I did order some thread for North Dakota once that ended up in Virginia. But the gal was so sweet about it and sent me more.. Never did get the original order. I always feel bad for the customer service people that get screamed at!

Jana... Kids back to school there? Kind of takes the worry about deciding what to wear every day. I wore a uniform for 9 years, but they were sure ugly in those days. The kids at the Catholic school here wear about the same thing... navy pants and polo shirts. Our kids don't start until the day after Labor Day.

Judi... .Congratulations on the new baby. I LOVE her name, but then Navy blue is my favorite color.! I talked to a guy at insurance company many years ago named Navy and I thought it was cool. Your Ken is so sweet to bring you coffee. In my entire married life I don't think my DEX ever brought me coffee! I was kind of surprised to learn that men do that!

Maryz.... Your high school uniform was sure cuter than mine. We wore gray jumpers, gray blazers, and if you HAD to have a sweater it was gray and gray oxford shoes.. And the skirt had to be below the knee--touch the floor when kneeling. It was an all girl school then, now it's co-ed. When I take the kids for back to school stuff... I ain't doing clothes! :lol: :lol: I do notebooks and glue sticks and back packs and that stuff.

Went to KC's yesterday and though we didn't get a lot done, we did manage to move a shelf from bedroom to living room. I know she is quite please with how things are looking. I brought her over a little red plaid table cloth for the tiny table we found... she sent me a picture of it all set up with flowers and wine glasses. She has no friends in the area at all and has suffered a lot of deaths in her family this summer. (another one yesterday--young gal 21) I told her one of these days I'd scoop her up and take her to Joann and out to lunch... she got schmoopy! But I'm not going to go back for a couple weeks so I can get caught up on a few of my things.. i HAVE to start my Christmas blocks!!! That's 1st up this week.

POTD is to finish pencil cases.. have 27 done and maybe 15 left to do. They go fast so hopefully I can wrap up that project... BUT I think it's going to take a whole pot of coffee.

KC had a box full of patterns... I took a picture of some of them and I'm going to go post them under PHOTO"S. If any body like them... let me know I'll mail them out !!!

In the meantime... Have a super day all!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:04 am

Good Sunday morning to All!
58* here and going to 81*, with rain possible this afternoon. Gee MaryZ were almost twins in the weather dept. lol

Suzette, the mail and package transport went down the tubes in 2020 and seems to have only gotten worse. DD1 works for a postage machine company, on the west of Denver. She mailed some ink to a client on the east side of Denver and it went to Calif first. I had our mail sent up from TX last month and it went to TN first, took 2 weeks to get here. Then the end had been opened, folded over and taped, with an orange sticker saying, "Sorry" on it. I had no idea what may have fallen out. Well I know of one letter, because Labcorp told me there was a past due balance when I took DH in for his blood test. They had sent an invoice, but I never got it in the forwarded mail.

Judi, Congrat's on the new baby!! That's a different name, but very cute. When I found the glue sticks for paper piecing, I also bought a bunch of Clover clips. I glued fabric to fabric on corners and then clipped until dry. How do you do yours? I thought I had all my hexi flowers sewn together, this spring in Texas, until I found a few in a bag that I had taken to sew at the music jams I went to. It is enjoyable, though I probably over stitch them together.

MaryZ, We have just over a half acre here in Estes Park. There is a wood pile in the back NW corner of our property, that was started after another tree fell in a wind storms about 2012. I need to haul the little limbs with pine needles still on them to the County trash transfer sort yard. I went there yesterday to remind myself of what all they take. A couple years ago we had a couple guys help rake up all the pine cones, needles and weeds, I had to bag them in special paper bags and I took 72 bags to the sort yard. I hope to move the wood around to the NW corner, but I haven't tried starting the John Deere tractor yet. If it doesn't start, I would have to put stuff in my red wagon and haul it back there.

MaryQ, I'm sure KC will love an outing. Sounds like you have her place in nice order.

DSIL still has Pneumonia in left lung. He is doing the breathing treatments and just taking it easy. DD1 took Maddox to the water park yesterday afternoon. Maddox needed some time with Momma. I can't believe it, but he's starting preschool on the 22nd!! Time does fly.

I didn't get as much done on the wood pile as I would have liked because we had rain on and off all afternoon. So, I went to my sewing room and worked on Christmas blocks. Have a new problem to add to my, Must fix list, the kitchen faucet has decided to start dripping. I have all the paperwork for everything we put in the kitchen when we remodeled in 03/04, so I will hunt up and see if it's fixable. But for now, I'm going to have a cherry fritter with my coffee and get to the wood pile.

A Blest day to All.
Lyn
Last edited by WeeOne on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:06 am

Morning
Went to 8am mass. It was nice, but just had my second cup of coffee.
DDIL will take DS up to Kansas city tomorrow afternoon. At that point he will find out if his truck is fixed or if he'll have a loaner truck for a bit.
Today kids will be over for BBQ. Other than that, quiet day.
Flo

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:36 am

Good morning all! It is 63 outdoors and I had to turn on the furnace for a bit to warm up the house. It was 68 degrees in here when I got up. Once I get warmed up will shut off the furnace. Can't remember the last time I ran the furnace in August. My cough is getting better and my sore throat is almost gone. Still feel very tired though. Not doing much today but watch Cubs this afternoon. Got an inch of rain last night but no storms like some got.

Well, better go to town and get my Sunday paper. Hope all of you are safe and things are going well.

Sherry

Return to “Sew ins”