Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Friday August 5, 2022

Daily discussions.
FlorenceM

Friday August 5, 2022

Post by FlorenceM » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:10 am

Morning
Anyone interested, i posted how I make my sauce in chit chat under recipes.
Rested knee yesterday. Nit sure what today will bring
Flo

QuiltGram8

Re: Friday August 5, 2022

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:49 am

Good morning, Flo.
Nice of you to post recipe for all these gardeners. We are enjoying another mild day. The heat will be upon us again over the weekend.
Yesterday, I made another quilt top for our church. I had a piece of fabric about 2+ yards. It resembled a quilt so, I hated to cut it up in squares. Instead I ventured over to the church project room and found a few pieces that were small prints in colors found throughout the main piece. I cut widths and pieced two-three borders around to build the correct width. Then I still needed about 1 1/2" on each side and length. So I added one more piece in another matching fabric. I was really pleased with it.
Maybe I will post a picture here by editing my post. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope to sew again today. I will start another top maybe.
Last edited by QuiltGram8 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUGS, ๐Ÿ’• Vel

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:00 am

Good Hot Summer Day!!

Well I see I lost yesterday's post! :roll: Will do better today. Not much happened yesterday. Didn't need the AC until 4pm. OH weather people! We got not where near 100'.

Called Cable/phone company yesterday because of TV & phone problems by afternoon both problems gone. Cancelled the appointment.

Flo.....how nice to share your recipe. Hope you have an other knee resting day.

Love & Prayers................Kathy

velvet

Post by velvet » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:10 am

Good morning to all.
Today is a small qov at the vets cafe for 4-5 vets. Laura enjoys seeing them as do I. I'll be giving the certificates. Lots of fun. Hoping all of the vets show up. The heat and humidity is awful for the much older men to handle.

My night appliance needs to be remade--one of the clasps is rusting. The spot is inside the mold so no one knows how its rusted. Maybe a tiny pin hole--either way no one is happy in the office. They'll send for another one and hopefully it comes back fast. Don't want any setbacks. Gplden years--rust years and add rusted parts. LOL

Over weekend we'll start to pack. For now its a shower and then off to get Laura and have fun at the cafe.
Enjoy the day.
Diane

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:14 am

Good morning,

FLO - thanks for the recipe! Hope your knee is better today. You using ice/heat/ice/heat?

CHRISS - sounds like your yesterday was full of not-as-much-fun-as-sewing stuff. I'm so sorry. But you'll be helping a lot of folks so I guess there's your fun! You can always put that RWB quilt back on the wall after you finish it! Or better yet, in your "nest", or where ever you spend most of your time. For me - that would be back on the sewing room wall! lol!

KATHY - glad your problems went away before the appointment! Sorry about your post. Don't forget, if someone has posted since you began typing your post, your post won't "go". This is a feature to give you the opportunity to read what the other person(s) have said in case you want to add a comment to your post. Then you have to hit SUBMIT again. Sometimes more than once. I have had to do it up to four times! This is one reason I like to post in color. Then I know immediately that my post "stuck". The color won't appear otherwise.

VELDA - I love that fabric you used! I would hate to cut it up, too!

JUDI - Are you attacking that carpet again today? So what did you end up doing with Chey yesterday? Do you take her for any school shopping? Or if so, do you wait for Sophia? What's on tap for today?

VAL - frustrating about the ramp. Is your back door any better with a pathway around to the front? The wheelchair lift worked great for my brother and then when we no longer needed it we were able to remove it with no effects to the house and re-sell it. We found it used on-line and drove to Redding to pick it up. They guy we bought it from used it to get from his porch to the ground.

MARY Q - so how did it go at KC's yesterday? More fabric??! Someone is going to have to come to your house to help sort YOUR fabric pretty soon. I volunteer!!

LYN - glad you were able to get the lock off. But it was tough work, I'm sure! Hope you swung by my sisters when you were down in town for a quick howdy! They are both getting ready to come here.

DIANE - what day are you leaving for Ireland? I have the exact date somewhere that my family came over but it was about 1879, I think. My grandfather was only about 6 years old. His name was Eamon but he was called Edward after he came to America. I kind of like Eamon. Somewhere on the island we found a grotto called St. Bridget's Grotto. That was my mom's middle name so we stopped to explore. It was FILLED with pictures and tiny mementoes people had left. As it happened, I had a small photo of my parents with me so I left it there so my mom's picture, at least, made it to Ireland, even if she never did.

Yesterday was massage day - then Costco and regular grocery. Before my massage, I got the center portion of my quilt top together so at least all the small blocks are corralled into one piece now and not getting lost in the chaos that is my happy place. I have quite a mess going on in my sewing room, so I need to do some cleaning and re-organizing of all the piles of fabric I have laying around so I can mess it all up again! I do plan to get some more of my 4" Broken Dishes blocks done today. They make up the inner border that surrounds the center section. (picture posted in 7/28 sew-in). Today, I really need to get things ready in our trailer set up for my brother to arrive, and then do some more yardwork before it gets really hot again. I have a few other chores that are nagging me, too, so I'm going to be busy. That will be my day.

Happy Weekend Eve!
mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:47 am

Good morning it is another humid day. I am waiting to see if my amazon order ( crpet cleaner I cnnot seem to find anywhere but amazon...I ordered it for delivery today. ) It is so good and gets my 20+ year old carpet so clean...It is the same carpet Pepper had ber accidents on...The spots I clean from her showed up and told me the rest of the carpet needs cleaning,,,Since i ran out of cleaner rush ordered more if it comes later today the carpet will get finished tomorrow. We had another crisis the handle on the sownstairs shower broke...and the shower would not turn off....Ken had to shut the water off in that part of the house and we ran to Lowes to get the part...($53 for a part that fits in the palm of my hand) he got it fixed..,
Laundry is done folded and put away,,,so If Chey doesnt get up I will spen d some time in the sewing room...basting more hexis...and deciding on what to do next,,,I think I will load a quilt on the LA to finish the 2 waiting in the que,,,that will help me dive into the next quilt...
Hope your day goes as planned,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PS I took the girls shopping twice,,,My budget says enough....I dont get her school clothes,,I let her Mom takr care of that ( it has a lot to do with what is ALLOWED. What Chey tells me and what Mom says are 2 different things, Our latest is she wants her nose pierced...(EWWW) I let her parents make that call...Sophia goes to private school and wears uniforms. Her mom just spent a small fortune on Doc Marten shoes...So I stay out of that discussion...

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:23 am

Good Morning Girls

Looks like we are in for another doozy of a day... High temp of 92! After a quick run to the clinic to get my stitches out, I'm coming right back home. Not a fan of HEAT! But then I'm not a fan of COLD either.

Flo... Not that I have tomatoes to can, but I think I'll check out your recipe anyway... I could just go BUY some tomatoes and I love good sauce for chile and spaghetti etc.

Velda... That quilt is amazing! Don't tell me you pieced all the top!! I didn't look close enough, but is the top like a "cheater" piece?

Kathy.... glad your phone/tv problems seemed to fix themselves... sure saves waiting on the "Cable Guy" I was gone most of yesterday and came home to a very hot house! Forget to check AC before I left!

Diane... Is Laura going to Ireland with you? Gosh I wish I could go... what fun! So many beautiful sights to see. Such wonderful kind people every where we went. I took my Jen with me and that is where she finally decided she wanted to be a teacher.. was a life changing experience for her.

Maryz... You are welcome to come sort fabric with me any time! Yes I did bring home another suitcase full yesterday. But I think we are almost done! I'm keeping some she gave me, but setting some aside for a gal that lives across the street--she makes those dresses. When were you in Ireland? Wouldn't it be funny if we were actually at St. Bridget's Well at the same time!!! I brought home a little jar of water from the well, but it eventually dried up.

Judi.... So fun to bite your tongue when it comes to stuff for the girls isn't it? Evie's other gramma takes her shopping when ever they are in town.. and I'd LOVE to take her too but I don't have the budget other gramma does and I sometimes feel bad I can't spoil them. But yes, Evie did get a pair of Doc Martens too. They gave her blisters the first time she wore them! What's the name of the cleaner you get from Amazon? Even tho I had the carpets cleaned here before I moved in... I'm looking for a miracle to brighten them up a little.

Did have a good day at KC's yesterday. I picked up the little table for her and it's perfect in her apartment. She is still talking about moving, but only to a different place here in MN. I did mention that I'd like to not come every week, but now that we are pretty much caught up maybe every other... she wants to keep sewing and I'll help her when I can. She has a ton of Mountain Mist batting, which is my least favorite, but I think I'll try to use it and see what happens.

For today, it's laundry day, sort fabric day, take a shower day, stitches out day and LOTS OF COFFEE day!

Hope all of you have an awesome day!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:40 am

Good morning. It's going to be a marvelous day today. Sheets are in the wash. I'm considering a yard sale but might skip it. Tonight, is bingo at the senior center. and tomorrow morning we take the boys to town to take advantage of the backpack giveaway.

We are supposed to get rain today, I see about three drops on the window, but I bet it won't amount to much. It's also supposed to get to 105 so won't that be a humid sticky day? I would love to see a few inches of rain, but for those in the areas where there was fire it could result in a flood situation.

Flo, thanks for the sauce recipe, I will share it with Jerry. We have only gotten two tomatoes out of our many plants so far this year. It's just awful for gardens here lately.

Velda, you are so good at grabbing fabric and making it into a quilt. I love what you did with that hunk of fabric, it looks really cool.

Kathy, wish we could wait to turn on the AC, I would love to give the machine a break. nice to have the cable/phone magically fix itself.

Diane, enjoy your Vets Cafe time, sounds like a nice ceremony.

Maryz, you have a nice day planned. busy in the morning and hopefully playing by the afternoon.

Judi, sorry about the shower. What is the name of the carpet cleaner. My carpet is easily 30 or more years old and as much as I would like new flooring, I wonder why replace it. No one ever comes here. But a good cleaning would be nice.

Maryq, I hope you can ease out of KC visits. I'm sure it uses up the day when you'd rather be doing other things. I am sure she appreciates all you've done for her.

Not much here today. I didn't get stuff done yesterday that I wanted to do. Will work on it today.

You all have a fun and cool day
chriss
Exodus 33:14

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:34 am

Flo, hope the knee is better. I will have to check out your recipe, not that I plan on using it, it sounds good and worth looking.

Velda, that piecing turned out Great!

Kathy, I think you mentioned having to login on here. It's interesting, I'm usually on my phone and it stays logged in but, on my laptop, like now, I have to log in every day. Hope your cable behaves. We've had modems put in both houses in the last few months and the cable guys ran new wiring from pole to house and new into house also. Did your service guy do that?

Diane, sorry your appliance is rusted. I know what you are going thru is no fun. My DD1 had to have her upper jaw widened when she was a pre-teen. It was no fun for her or me as I had to take the tool and turn that devise every night until the goal was reached.

Chriss, last year when Aetna and United Airlines sent out stuff about Medicare, United plainly stated that if a retiree went with something other than United's plan but then changed their mind and wanted to come back to United....Too bad....No way....You leave and you are out for good. I think their plan is good, but with what I just told you, I see no reason to shop.

After Garry's blood test we tried out a restaurant close by, Garden Cafe. It was good food and easy to get to. Sorry MaryZ, I didn't stop at your sister's. We did make stops to get dog treats and at Verizon for a new phone charger for my phone. Then came home and I weed eated most of the backyard. I was going to move the old boat and found out that I need a different size hitch ball. DH swears we had one in the garage, lol, after the two floods, hard telling where they might be. I will be calling around town and hope to find what I need. I then turned my attention to the fallen tree. I have cleared away all loose branches, so I tried my chainsaw on a couple branches on the tree trunk. Saw works great!! I need to get a rope and tie off to a tree up hill, so when I start cutting the trunk it doesn't twist and fall into the deck. That will be my task today.
Lyn

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:38 am

Good late morning!

I'm moving slow today. Chilled a muscle in my leg and have it slightly under control from hurting. Other than that, it a great day here!

Have you ever watched a quilting show, that was not El's and yelled at the two showing how to sew a block together - with the phrase, don't do it that way! I did that yesterday watching the two hosts sew a simple 9 patch, trying to chain piece a single block, cutting the sections apart, when you can leave them attached, like El does!

Not much here new. Head down to sew. I am hemming a dress for a friend, that won't take me long. And then working on my Halloween bench pillow. Yoohoodi is out running, doing his thing. Oh, I need a quick run over to the grocery store for tostada shells and taco shells. We are doing a taco bar for Michael's BD dinner with the family.

Do something fun! We all need fun!

Hugs,
Jana

Return to โ€œSew insโ€