Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday August 3rd

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Wednesday August 3rd

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:40 am

Good morning Slept in a little today Ken is actually taking a day off....He will work on the trim and painting the parts he didint get done in time for the painter. I will try to get all the girls stuff taken care of..Sophia goes home today as she leaves for her cruise on friday and has to have a covid test tomorrow and her packing done. Cheyenne will be a bit lonely here without her,,, Chey will go to the lake with DD and Family. the following week..I am ready for a vacation.
I finished month 6 block of the stitchers garden and cleaned up the sewing table and room. It is too chaotic around here to start any complicated projects so I will make some hexis or some form of hand sewing for awhile...I need to do yard work but we are in the 90s today and humidity is up I will not be a great day for that,,,
Hope your day is filled with fun,,I need coffee to fuel a day with everyone here,,,,fun,,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FlorenceM

Re: Wednesday August 3rd

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:51 am

Morning Judi & all to follow,
Yesterday was primary elections here. Some of the people I liked won and some didn't. Then we went to city to Sam's Club. We have a large portable kennel for SJ. As I knelt on floor to let him out my left knee decided to go out and not take me with it. I have deformed knees and ankles and last time it went out I was in Navy boot camp in 1981! It's been achy since then, but nothing like this. Nothing to do but let it rest. So today I will sit in truck while Joe goes to menards. I may have him dig out crutches in few days...
Maryz, I have canned my tomato sauce and have been known to freeze smaller portions. I grew up hot packing tomato sauce. Next batch I make will be hot packed.i already froze 1 batch in small portions for use in soups and stews.
Have a great day
Flo

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:53 am

Good morning Judi and all that follow
Well its going to be hot here over 90 and very humid. We are supposed to get rain this afternoon. I am not working in gardens due to heat and humidity.
Well Jim saw chiro and at least he can walk. We both see chiro Friday. Jim is still in some pain but doing better.
For me I will do some sweeping today and then sew 16 four patch blocks for the mystery quilt I am working on. This one is another table topper which I may add extra borders.
I start fall house cleaning next week I am so tired of summer . I am ready for fall deco.
On humming bird front. I dont know how many I am feeding but I am making 12 cups of food a day . And I need to add another feeder.
Flo Do you have a recipe you would be willing to share for tomato sauce ? I am going to have a bunch of tomatoes
Judi O I need to clean up some more in my cleaning room. I need a container for my chicken salad project.
I need some help I am swimming in fabric . and keep ordering more.
Well I need to run Boos pill is due. and then into my sewing room.
You all have a great sewing day
Katy

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:10 am

Good morning,

JUDI - you are due for a rest - somewhere! Anywhere! And I'm with you - no gardening in 90* heat or high humidity. Too hot! How long is Sophia's cruise? And where is Sophia's cruise? Caribbean? Here, if people talk cruises, I automatically think Alaska because we are the hub for the Alaska bound ships. Do you know what Cruise line? If she is on a Holland ship, tell her to check out the library - my Autumn designed all the libraries for all their ships. :D

FLO - I've tried for many years to grow tomatoes on my property, in pots, on the deck, in a garden. I've never gotten one edible one so I've given up. But I have purchased flats of them, and canned them with garlic and Italian herbs. You will be loving having your own home canned food this winter!

KATY - glad Jim is up and walking again. I'll be at the chiropractor in 3 hours from now. When it's 90*, I stay inside, too! Fall cleaning? Already? Maybe that's what I'm doing, too. Just trying to get things sparkling clean here to impress all my siblings who start arriving 2 weeks from today. But I agree about summer - I'm ready for fall, too. Summer gets dry and stale and dusty. Bring on some crisp, fresh air to perk up Nature.

SHERRY - sorry you are feeling so crummy. Remember what they say - rest and fluids. Are your kids checking in on you from time to time? I'd bring you homemade chicken soup if you lived just a few states closer to me.

LYN - I hope you find that key soon. Kind of makes you wonder what else has been put in a 'safe place'. What fun to read about Texas Hill Country Quilters! Neighbors!

CHRISS - glad your groceries are all packed in for August. We're usually set for a month or more in our pantry and our back-up pantry. It's a good feeling. It will be fun to have a RW&B quilt for all the patriotic holidays next year.

VAL - I hope the parts for your ramp aren't delayed. How many steps are you trying to ramp? I've heard chatter about Sept lotto - black with brights? That's what I'm working on now. And you are right when you say there are many shades of solid black! I have just enough - hopefully - to finish my quilt (I posted a picture of my pattern in July 28 sew-in). But I had to scrounge through my scrap drawer and fish out the bits and pieces I found in there.

JANA - So? How does the rug look? And did you ever get the Batt Bath finished? And did you like the clock when you met it in person? Daniel is a jack of all trades, isn't he! As all your kids seem to be. Foxy loves my sewing chair, too. And that's fun until I want to sit down. I found a spot on top of a shelf and put a basket with some fleece in it for him. It's high enough that he can observe all he rules. And it solved my occupied chair problem. Usually.

MARY Q - Wakey wakey!!

I received an update from Becca yesterday:

Hello,

CA remains in much pain like he was. My days are consumed with his care and running the household and taking care of business. My health is good now, just sleep deprived. But I'm not complaining. We have such a loving, supportive family and neighbors that are so good and attentive to us. Thanks for your prayers, love, and concern. We are grateful.
Hugs & love to all,
Becca

Yesterday was productive even though I didn't get any cleaning done downstairs as originally planned. Bill wanted to blow off the roof, gutters, and do his moss treatment so while he did that I washed all the dusty things that decorate my 6-foot kitchen garden window - cookie jar collection and more - and then washed the window. This is a big deal because I have to climb up on the counter and sit with my feet in the sink to reach everything. Then I used furniture polish and polished up all my cabinets and drawers. I worked in the yard for a couple of hours and sewed for about one hour. Then I cross-stitched through the evening for about 3 hours. Not sure I'm going to get Bill's new Christmas stocking done in time for Christmas so I've been kind of pouring on the coal, and now my shoulder is sore and I've worn a bloody groove in my thumb. I've done X-stitching all my adult life but I guess once you check into your 70's your body rebels. Sigh. Chiropractor today and massage tomorrow. And more yard work this afternoon and some sewing, too. Bill will be gone to Oly (50 miles south) to help a friend repair an RV window that is leaking. He expects to be gone all day so I'm sure I'll find plenty of trouble to get into while he's gone.

In the words of Lawrence Welk, have a "wunnerful, wunnerful" Wednesday!

Mary Z
>^+^<

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:50 am

Good morning!

A beautiful day here! It will be hot, but not bad. Karlie is making friends with the granddaughter of our next door neighbor. The little girl is there a couple days a week, Grandma babysitting, so Karlie will have someone to play with.

Karlie hasn't had many chores to do in her life so far. Grandma is changing that! Karlie will now help me put away the dishes after they're clean. She does set the table too. Hopefully she'll learn lots of things while here in our home.

The rug is still rolled up. Never got downstairs yesterday. My knee and hip were having arguments over which would hurt more. Today they are being better. So the rug will get placed. It's on the persian rug patterns side of design, borders are tans, with a red center motifs. The Batt Cave walls are yellow, so it will be great. Reds and yellows are the dominant colors in my house. Eventually the floor covering the cement will be in the browns. I am looking for a barn wood floor, that looks like it could have been a old general store floor, worn and dusty. I very much love the farmstyle decor. Mismatched and eclectic.

Our new Grandfather clock will be delivered a week from Friday. It's not the one I found on their website, but another that I like much better. The style fits me better. I have a large curio cabinet on one side of my fireplace wall, dark cherry, and this clock will sit on the same wall, on the opposite end. It's dark cherry too. Ut oh, where the new clock will live is where I put my big Christmas tree, forgot about that, and Mr Engineer forgot too, when the EIR was done. Well, we'll solve that problem in a few months. :)

Kari has a lunch meeting uptown with some of her agents here in the valley, so after the kitty and I decide who gets my chair, I'll sew. Oh yes, it's a comedy of errors here. It's Michael's birthday Saturday and he never received a reminder that his DL needs to be renewed. He checked his license, as we got them both at the same time and mine was renewed in February. His appointment for that is the 11th. So I will be chauffeur for a time! Maybe longer if he doesn't pass, LOL!

Sew, do something fun, that you love!
Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:10 am

Good Morning!

Gosh I missed you guys yesterday... I was up, but was busy trying to tidy up the house a bit before my friend Peg came for coffee (should have done it on Monday) We had a nice visit and she looked at my embroidery machine with me to figure out why the needles keep breaking... think I'll have to bring it in to the shop. I told Peg she will have go with me so I am not tempted to buy a new machine. This one is SUPER old and only uses really old fashioned disks in it. Can't download images to use in it. But it will be fun eventually.

Judi.... I'd say for sure you need a little vacation! Teenagers are hard work... especially ones that have no interest in doing ANYTHING. Hard when Dad is at work all day. But it will be fun for her to go to the lake with DD, even without Sophia. When does Chey go home?

Flo... You were in the Navy??? Awesome! My BFF and I talked about joining when we graduated HS in 1969.. she graduated in '70 so we never quite made it. Thank YOU for your service! Have you ever heard of a ship .. USS CARON. That ship was named after a distant cousin of mine. At one point my Dad ordered all of us ships baseball caps. I still have mine somewhere.

Katy.... You're going to start FALL cleaning??? I say this with love... you IZ NUTS! Oh ok, so I do need to wash a coupe windows, but I don't think I do NEAR what you do for cleaning! I missed that Jim has had trouble walking? Is he staying with you?

Maryz.... I'm UP. I am not leaving the house today.. for one thing it's going to be HOT and the POTD is to get one of KC's little quilts done! I'm going there tomorrow so I'd like to be able to take it with me. As much as I hate the heat... I don't think I'd quite ready for fall. Cooler temps would be nice, but after that comes snow and I KNOW I'm not ready for that. You sure did get a lot done yesterday.. With Bill gone today you can just putter around and do what ever strikes your fancy. I have always wondered what it would be like to have another person around all day!

Sherry... In case you stop by... So sorry to hear you have Covid. Hope you feel better soon! My neighbor Katie came home from a family reunion and tested positive... so I won't be seeing her for a while!

Jana.... How old is Karlie? You're right never too young to learn chores. My kids started doing their own laundry (most of the time) as soon as they could reach the buttons on the washing machine. I'd have them unload dishwasher, but they'd whine about having to unload the WHOLE thing.. One would do top, one would do bottom, and one would do silverware... For a while I even had a chart! When Shawn and family were living with me.. .Brennen and Evie just automatically knew to clear the table and load the dishwasher.

Today, as I said, I'm going work on KC's quilt. Since we pretty much have all her fabric messes cleaned up, tomorrow I'm going to maybe take her a little card table I have so she can sit and sort through her patterns. She got set up on a local Facebook garage sale group, so may be she will be able to sell the patterns she doesn't want. She does have a HUGE box full! I'm hoping I can reduce my visits to every other week or longer. Once the snow flies I won't be going there much at all. I'm trying to think of a way to help her store them. I know there are tons in that box, but I have no idea what kind. To put them all in notebooks would take up way too much room

Guess I'll go take my shower now and get to work. I think it's a FULL POT OF COFFEE day!

Hope you guys all have a wonderful Wednesday

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:35 am

Good Blue Sky Morning......hot Summer tomorrow

Well I had a surprise this morning! I had to log in to QIAD. Had to look in my pass word book for my secret words. Any one else have to do this....?

Todays 1st challenge is to get my new land line phone system to work. All was well when I set it up 5 days ago. So if I call, be warned you only have 15 seconds to talk. I'll put the old phone in first thing & call the cable/phone people to see if "we" have a problem. This is one of those times I get aggravated I do not know a 'tech' person.

Judi......how nice Ken takes a day off from work to do some work. Sophia must be so excited for her cruise hope she has a wonderful time.

Flo.....sorry about your knee, I can relate to the discomfort of that. Heal up soon. Lucky you to be ready all Winter long with tomatoes.

Katy.......try to keep cool, tomorrow is now out 90+' day....if they can get it right. Looks like you have plenty for you to do today. Have fun. OMG you must be in Hummingbird heaven. I have only 2 after their babies fly I have 4 for a little while. Each week 1 cup of food. Sometimes they seem to fight over who will eat 1st when there are 5 feeding flowers. Love them. I'd love to help you cleanup your fabric.

Maryz...........thanks for the Becca update. I'm happy to hear she is feeling better.
Chiropractor & massage needed after 'x-stitching'....what kind are you doing?? DD2 is doing a Mystery cross stitch & sharing it with her sister, never heard of them. Sounds interesting to me. Hope you heal fast.

Jana.......I like the idea of having Karlie help, I bet she doesn't mind. It's sharing time with DGM. Hope your knee & hip feel better soon. It sur can take the shine off your day. Enjoy your new clock, I bet it's beautiful.

Maryq........I hope you get your machine worked out, so you cane have smooth sewing.
Good luck helping sort through all the patterns.

Love & Prayers.............Kathy

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:27 pm

Good afternoon all! Just a quick stop in to let you know that my Covid is not much better. My one son lives just 15 miles away and my other one lives in Elkhart and they both check in on me. The one closest calls about every day to see if I need anything. I don't want him coming here all the time because he is in the middle of football practice and I don't want him to spread it. When he brought my cough syrup I had him set it on the counter, gave him a air hug and leave. Just mainly sleeping in my recliner.

Just got back in from driving out to get my mail. It is 96 degrees out with 104 heat index. Well back to my recliner with my ice water beside me so I keep hydrated, but not hungry. Have a safe and good day.

Sherry

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:03 pm

Sherry -
if you don't have a Oxcimmeter - measures your blood oxygen on your finger - GET ONE! You need to keep a constant check on how much blood oxygen is in your system. Don't let it drop below 90! It can drop fast below that and you can pass out and fall and all kinds of other complications from COVID - been there and I learned a lot when Michael had it. Plus I have 3 EMT's in the family and boy did I get yelled at when that happened! We want you around and this is nothing to mess with. You can get those meters at a big box pharmacy or even a local one. Walmart too - they are not too expensive, but oh such a life saver.

Jana

Return to “Sew ins”