Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tuesday August 2,2022

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Tuesday August 2,2022

Post by fabricgirl » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:12 am

Good morning,
We are headed for another hot day we had some rain yesterday but not enough to make a difference our heat is suppose to break by the weekend and will be accompanied with rain .
Yesterday I spent the day on 1 fpp block that turned out aughfull so that made it to the garbage :lol: .
Plans for today are to try it again and if it dosent work will put it aside and try it at another time.
Well thats my news for today.
Have a great day.
Lois

grammiequilts

Re: Tuesday August 2,2022

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:19 am

Good morning it is primary election day here so I will head up to vote...then I will clean my car ( i was told that is the perfect way to make it rain...which we need. I also need to call and make a oil change appt and a hair appt and other things...I will fininsh the SG block and I have to tell you the twin needle sewing sucks...so I skipped it on this block...I did try out my new scissors and they are wonderful...
Ive had my coffee and will head to the polls. I have already gotten a stack of political flyers...they make great hexi s After I declare a party preference I am sure I will get o ton more...Sturdy card stock for the hexis...LOL, Hope your day is planned and good...But remember when you make plans.....God laughs....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:19 am

Good morning,

LOIS - Sorry Book Nerd isn't playing nice with you. Maybe today will be different. This is why I've had my pattern for years - waiting until I felt confident. Then came my LOTR project. Boy! Did I learn a lot with that! And by the time I was done, I felt confident with FPP but was fried and needed a LONG break from it. But with you leading the way, maybe I'm ready to try it again. Are your vellum sheets 8-1/2 x 11 so they go through the printer? Are you making your quilt scrappy? Well,

FLO - do you can some of your tomatoes and your sauce or just freeze? I don't do a lot of canning any more. But I used to can tomatoes. My neighbor made a big batch of taco sauce and canned it and said it was very good. My mom (married during the Depression) canned smoked meats and fish, chicken, turkey, venison, etc. My dad hated frozen food - said he could taste freezer burn after only few weeks, so they never froze anything.

VELDA - delivery pizza is the purrfect ending to a John Wayne day!

JUDI - I'm going to guess Chey doesn't like to read either. What does Sophia like to do besides hockey? If someone besides you suggests something she may go for it. My DD#1 is 50. To this day, if I like or suggest something she immediately finds something wrong with it. But if almost anyone else offers the same thing she likes it. Just sayin' . . . . it's how teenagers are wired. And I'm sorry but I had to laugh when, after warning the girls not to make a mess, you made the biggest mess of all! :lol: It's primary day here, too. Our state votes by mail so we voted the day our ballots arrived. Fingers crossed! Greeting cards also make great hexie papers.

KATHY - my Bill wishes you luck finding the thing in the dishwasher that you are supposed to clean out. We didn't even know about that until after about 6 years our dishwasher no longer was getting dishes clean. Bill went on U-tube and found videos. It took him half a morning, but he finally got the thing done and the dishwasher back together. After the third time doing this in 3 years he said he'd had enough and that's why we went out to buy a Bosch, which is easy to clean. And why now we're caught up in the dishwasher delivery saga. But check U-tube . . And sorry your feet are so swollen, but if it gives you an extra quarter inch - I'm happy to relinquish the "taller than me" title to you!

DIANE - If I step into the Way Back Machine, I think I can remember that you had a trip to Ireland planned at one time. Glad it's finally coming up. I hadn't realized that it was once again on the table. How fun! My mom's family is from Galway. And I got to visit there back in 2003.

JANA - smart to get a new, inexpensive door to put the cat flap in. We put our litter box in our fifth wheel in the storage bins and have a cat flap from the living area to there. It works great! We don't need a box at home as Foxy has a flap to go into the garage and a hole in the garage wall to go outside. He has his own flowerbed! There is nothing there but dirt. He's a happy cat. Oh, and our Riley loved to sleep on a quilt that was on the frame. Talk about a comfy hammock! We had to keep the door closed when the frame was loaded. So be on the lookout for that.

LYN - love your cute Christmas blocks. All the blocks everyone is doing are cute! It's nice to be able to see what's going on thousands of miles away through the security cameras, isn't it. We can, too. If we turn on the audio we can even hear the traffic going by the house and the rooster next door. And our friend, Doyle, when he drives through the place, checking things out. He said once he thought of mooning us, but decided against it. Whew! Thank God for second thoughts! Don't forget, you have to have visible signs posted saying you have video surveillance or else your videos won't hold up in court if you ever need them. As for taxes, we use Turbo Tax. And anything pertinent to taxes we put in a file until tax time. We never have enough to itemize but you never know how the year is going to go, so until we do, we save all the possibly tax-deductible receipts and toss the rest. Then, come tax time, anything we end up not needing, we shred. I understand if you don't have a file folder, a shoebox works just as well. :D

MARY Q - I listen to audio books constantly. They are company in the sewing room. I used to go to the library and check out cassette tapes - then CD's. After that I downloaded my favorite authors onto my i-pad. Now I have a Libby App on my phone so I don't have to give space to the i-pad any longer. I can also download from Autumn's libraries. it's great! I listen while gardening, cooking, cleaning, walking, and always while sewing. So, if I take a while to answer your texts sometimes, it's often because I'm "reading"!

KATY - I believe in the past Secret Santa sign-ups started in late August or very early Sept. I start watching for it mid-Aug. I'm eager to see what, if any, changes Tina might make in SS this year. It's always fun.

JUDI - you again?? A nice story about good customer service. Almost a thing of the past. I wouldn't be able to use those big scissors either. I've never heard of Guggenheim scissors. I always used to think Gingher was THE best brand (and they are very good) - until I received a set of Kai scissors - 8" shears, a smaller pair, and a tiny embroidery scissors - as a gift. Wow! What a difference! Love them!

Yesterday I don't think I even turned on my machine - kind of a rarity for me. I did pin a few pieces though, while Foxy snacked. He likes company when he dines and his dish is on my sewing table. If I leave the room before he's done, he jumps down and follows me, meowing to get me to come back. lol! I did four loads of laundry and we both got involved in cleaning. Bill was on the top of the ladder vacuuming webs and dust. We have cathedral ceilings that, in some places, are 15' tall. I washed and dusted decor items, pictures, ceiling light fixtures, etc. Polished furniture, vacuumed. It took us until 1:00 pm when we left for some short errands. After that, we both lounged on the deck, reading & snoozing and, because our crockpot supper was ready early, ate around 3pm and then just had salads at about 6:30. Today, we will do some more of that kind of cleaning, working our way to the lower level of the house. When we get that done with this, I have some weeds that are calling to me from outside and I want to get to them before the temps go back up into the mid-80's late this week. Not sure when I'll be able to circle back to sewing.

Make your day a good one!
mary z
>^+^<

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:56 am

Good morning!

It rained, thundered, lightning, and continued, to rinse and repeat, most of the night! Whoo hoo, we are so grateful for that. More today.

The new area rug made it from Costco to the Batt Cave, just needs to be unrolled. This morning we are heading uptown to look at a Grandfather clock I found at the store's website. It's perfect in size, color and price. But I will bet that we will have to order one to come live at our house. That's OK, as it gives Michael time to move a light switch.

Ethan will be down again today. He is wanting to earn money to buy a drone. So Grandma's baseboards get cleaned. There are many feet of them!

Daniel got his Jeep back up and running last night. He had heard a noise in the front wheel, brake pad area, so he put on new brakes. Finished just as the rain started falling. He was working on the jeep outside.

Hopefully when we get back from clock shopping, I will sew. First I will load my flower bench pillow, to quilt. It almost takes longer to load than quilt. Little kitty found my sewing chair in the Batt Cave and curled up on it to sleep. Kept Kari company while she worked. I will have discussions over whose space that is with kitty cat! LOL!

Time to get going around these parts,
Hugs,
Jana

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:03 am

Have a few minutes so thought I would stop by. Not too much has changed here. I will be contacting the ramp guy today to see if any progress has been made. The parts are coming from of all places Kentucky! Which of course if flooded. I am not sure which area so hoping that does not delay things.

Have been diligently working on Christmas blocks, lotto blocks and need to add in my BOM from last year. I have both my finishing kits so placing on my bucket list. I did get my backing for my Starry Night. Now to pick out the rest of the fabrics. I may take a stroll up to the quilt shop on Thursday, not sure yet. If not, I have my new BOM meeting on Sat and will search while I am there.

Temps are heating up. Up to 81 today which I know is low for some of you but I am just not heat tolerant at all. AC will go on early.

Dad is status quo.

I think I have September lotto chosen. I will have to make a block and test it out. Lots of odds and ends uglies to do. Plan today is to finish my Christmas blocks.

Have a great day everyone
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:10 am

Good morning. We should see 99 degrees today, lots of moisture in the air so it won't be our usual dry heat.

We saw a few rain drops yesterday. There were just enough to make spots on my windshield and car. Remember when we were kids and it would rain so we would look up with our mouths open? Not sure I would do that today. The rain just doesn't seem as clean as it used to be. Of course, to put it to the test, it would actually have to rain here.

Finished up my grocery shopping yesterday. Won't have to do that for a while. Except for milk, bread and fresh veggies we are good for August.

Started on my calendar quilt the other day and will try to get back to it today. Just need to sew the rows together with a little sashing and add a border. It will make a nice lap quilt. After that it's red, white and blue. I was so excited to get those blocks, and only need to make two more to have a nice big quilt.

Not much is new here. Just another day. Hope you all have a fun day
Chriss
Psalm 91

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:32 am

Thanks for the tax and filing suggestions. Jana, I will continue to use Quicken for the checking account. I'm just glad to not post all the credit card receipts. I will continue to keep them for reconciling with the statement and then keep what is important.

Yesterday I bought a new Ego weed eater. I also did some shopping and picked up the mail. I had two packages, it was almost like Christmas! One was fabric and the other was 2 QuiltFolk magazines and a free charm pak. One of the magazines is about quilters in the Hill Country of Texas and the other is Minnesota. I haven't found the keys for that hitch lock yet. I will look in a couple other spots, but I may have to call a locksmith to come open it and make a key.

Off to try out the weed eater.
Lyn

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:35 am

Good morning all! Just a quick stop in to let you know how I am doing with Covid. This just seems to hang in there. I haven't felt this "crappie" in a long time. I was hoping to get out and mow today since this is going to be the least hot day of the week. It is just going to have to wait. I can't shake the cough and have already gone through an 8 oz. bottle of Robitussin DM. Doug is bringing me 2 more bottles today. My mail lady just delivered my mail and she said she had Covid several months ago and it took her over 2 weeks to get rid of it. Hope any of you who are ill get well soon.

Supposed to be over 100 degrees here tomorrow. Good time to be in the A/C. Hope you all have a good and safe day. Hope to get to reading all your posts when I feel better.

Sherry

Return to “Sew ins”