Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday July 31st Last day of July

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Sunday July 31st Last day of July

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:06 am

Good morning Slept late today as we didnt get in bed til after 11. Memorial was touching with a 21 gun salute and taps played. About 12 of his marine friends were there, and all the detectives working on the case came by too. A small town does that, It was a long day though. But seeing all my sisters and brother in laws was worth the drive..
Today I will clean some furniture that was in the storage room and do some laundry...I had a bin of winter clothes down there that I went through...some to donate and some to wash up for the coming winter,,and an empty bin to get rid of...
I am not happy with the twin needle block it is puckering so I will redo it with a stablizer and try again later...
Hope your day brings you just what you need......XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

QuiltGram8

Re: Sunday July 31st Last day of July

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:43 am

Good morning!
It's hard to believe that July is now going to be behind us. Another beautiful day here in central Illinois. The heat is on its way once again, so it's important to appreciate this day and enjoy.
Nothing planned for today, except church.
I like days like this, just a lazy day. Might even fit in a nap.
Enjoy your day in your little corner of the world.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:49 am

Good morning,

Today is our last day of 90+ heat. Whew! Relief! Can't believe only about 5 weeks ago we were thrilled to finally see temps in the 70's. Well, we'll be thrilled to see them again! lol!

LYN - Wish I'd known you back in 2006 and you'd braved the traffic (It's WAY worse now!) to come to GH. There was no toll back then as there was no second bridge at that time, but it was under construction and was interesting to watch the build. The bridge is 1-1/4 miles long. You were 46*?? And we were 96?!? What's wrong with this picture??

VELDA - I think Oklahoma was my favorite musical of all time! I love every single song from that show. Thanks for putting it in my head yesterday.

SUZETTE - odd that they had no record of you checking out the machine. I think I would have had the woman at the desk hand write a receipt just in case things got more mixed up. Glad to hear you're feeling better!

JANA - nice job, GRamma!! You broke the kids' fish tank! But glad 'everyone' survived the incident and lived to swim another day! It's good to hear of the littles playing and not "screening". Did you get your room rugs yet?

MARY Q - do you really mean it? You think you're done at KC's? Is it just fabric that clutters her house or is it everything? But you were only working on the fabric? Glad that you are finding some worthwhile homes for some of it! Looks like you've got some pretty warm temps coming your way, too. Glad you have AC! (You DO, don't you?)

CHRISS - every morning I look for your fire report. Hoping more progress is being made. Fighting fires has got to be some of the hardest work in the world - Fires are almost always in extreme heat, and there is FIRE, and they wear all that gear! We were told, when we were down in Julian doing firefighter laundry back in 2002, that they work 1 hour and rest 2 hours. Not sure if that's always true or just the goal. I'm so glad you visit your dad so often. You will never have any regrets, just good memories. And yes, you CAN use copy paper for FPP but it's much more difficult to work with and to remove. Adds a real frustration factor. I made a whole quilt with it last year and ended up having to spritz all the papers with water to soak them off. Make it easy on yourself and spring for the FPP papers. QIAD sells them in a pack of 100 sheets of 8x11's that go easily through your printer. About $15 regular price but they occasionally have them on sale. I paid about $9. Also, when stitching, shorten your stitches to better perforate your paper, and they will come off a lot easier. And don't remove the papers until you have your entire block sewn together. FPP seems daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not difficult.

VALERIE - I would be worried about your friend, too! And for her husband. My guess is that her phone battery died and she has no way at present to charge it. Praying for her and please let us know how this turns out. Will be looking for your lotto announcement today!

IZZY - I didn't catch what you are decorating for. Sorry one of your little piggies went to piggie heaven. Poor little guy.

KATHY - always good to see you post and I'll be looking for you again today!

JUDI - I thought about you often yesterday as you were attending the memorial service, and also spending many hours on the road. I'm glad things went well. And I hope it's an iron clad case against the shooters. Sorry your twin needed puckered on you. Stablizer would probably help, but do you need to change the tension, too? Sometimes that helps me when I'm doing a different kind of sewing.

VELDA - sorry you have another heat wave on the way. But it does make for good napping weather. :D

Yesterday I got my haircut. I THINK it will be a good one, but won't know until I wash it later this morning and I see how it dries. Then I went to the Goodwill at the other end of the shopping center. While there, friends called me and asked if we could meet them for pizza lunch - also in the same shopping center. I called Bill and we all met at Round Table for impromptu pizza and a visit. So my visit at Goodwill was cut short. But I got a beautiful crystal candy dish shaped like a graceful swan, 4 books, 2 jigsaw puzzles for my sister, two 25-ft Stanley tape measures ($3.99 each), and two hand painted tea cups that I plan to turn into pin cushions. I didn't get through the whole store as I left early for lunch. Probably a good thing. I also made two more maple leaf blocks and got another 8 cut out. And I finished cleaning and organizing my Everything But Sewing Craft Cabinet. Looks so much better and it's all easy to reach now (an important thing for me since I'm only 4'11". Today - sewing and trying to stay cool is all that's on my agenda.

Be cool!

mary z
>^+^<

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:59 am

Good morning everyone.
I am not sure the lady would have written me a receipt for the sleep test. But, I wrote it down and plan on calling them tomorrow. Today we are supposed to be getting storms starting around noon. Perfect day for sewing. Hopefully we won’t have trouble with power during the storms. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Suzette

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:23 am

Good morning!

Red sky this morning, a good thing, even though a sailor may take warning. Rain will be coming and we need and want it!

The fishys are swimming, hopefully, happily in the new tank. They survived the bucket! LOL! Nothing, but nothing is to be placed in front of the tank! Makes better viewing and no more catastrophic breaks!

Worked on my Halloween bench pillow yesterday. Cut the pieces needed and got the main fabric marked for placement of the embroidery work. Hope I did it right. Plan is, after church today to go and sew.

Kids are home from camping. Rained on them every afternoon for a hour or so. Sandee and Scott will be home this afternoon. They were in the mountains east and south of me.

Church is a bit later. Oh, we are still hot! Upper 90s, but a thunderstorm will drop that easily by 20 degrees, for a little while.

Hugs and prayers,
Jana

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:39 am

Good morning Everyone,

Yesterday Sandi came down for a visit by herself although she only had till 12:00 we made the most of it she got a brand new car what a nice car Kia sportage with alot of bells a whistle in it.
She had to food shop so off we went then we went to hobby lobby I needed a few things also got a package of needles for fpp so today I will read the directions again then start to cut out I did get to staples and they enlarged the pieces and didn't charge me so when I came home I copied them on to vellum
So now it's time to re read and then I can cut out Olivia Is a book reader so this will be hers when finished .

Well thats all the news here besides it being hot hopefully it won't last to much longer.

Everyone have a great day .
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

velvet

Post by velvet » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:07 am

Good sunny Sunday morning!!

Last night we had dinner here with a neighbor couple from our old house. Although we live only 10 minutes from each other-we very rarely see other. We were right across the street for 15 years before we moved to this house and met almost every day at our mail box for a quick chat. Boy, do I miss those days.

Today--I hope my prayers have joined so many others for those in such need on this site. PLEASE LORD HEAR OUR PRAYERS!!!!

Diane

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:42 am

Good Morning Girls

Remember yesterday when I was up, showered and dressed and had laundry started? :lol: :lol: :lol: Not today... still in Jammies but I do have a cup of coffee and I'm sure my ambition will be kicking in soon!

Judi.... My prayers continue for your niece. I'm so hoping that the detectives will keep in touch with her and let her know how the case is progressing. I'm sure it was a sad day all around and the military service is quite touching. When they play Taps, I get huge goosebumps and the 21 gun salute is startling, but so moving.

Velda.... Love your little condo! I saw the picture on face book! Isn't it great to have a place with no more steps! I notice there isn't grass! Is that an Illinois thing? We all have little lawns here and part of our assn. dues goes to the having it mowed every week.. until the snow flies anyway.

Maryz... So happy for you that it's going to cool down! I'd be a basket case with your heat and NO AC. I get just darn cranky! Oh no, it's not just fabric at KC's... it's all sorts of stuff. She has BOXES of dishes and memorabilia and decorations. We've shoved a lot of that aside for now and concentrated on fabric. But when her Ex packed things...(apparently he kind of threw her out) there's all sorts of stuff wrapped in paper and she doesn't even know all what's in the boxes. She would like some help with that too.... but I haven't volunteered for that. But we have made a lot of progress. Even so much that the living room floor was clear enough we could run the vac. previously you could barely walk in it.

Suzette.... Do you love a good old fashioned thunderstorm? I sure do... Though I do kind of worry about my sewing machine in lightening and I've heard you're supposed to unplug.. but I just want to keep sewing!

Jana.... Glad the fishies have a nice new home! Golf Fish? Guppies? YEARS ago we had a big huge tank at our drug store... it kept kids entertained. We even had a little pen inside of it for when Mommy guppies had babies so the other fish wouldn't eat them. It was fun to have but a lot of work!

Lois... Wouldn't be great to have one of those sewing machines on FB? I'd just have no place to put it and if I DID win one. I see those kinds of things all the time and first thought is SCAM. Like getting a brand new Janome for $99. (I admit I fell for it once--luckily got my money back from Pay Pal)

Diane.... Isn't that funny.. how neighbors can be so close and not see each for weeks even months at a time, and how it used to be so easy to run across a friend and now it takes a real effort. I have a good friend that lived just down the street from me at my old house. We could go months without seeing each, but she worked and even now that she is retired, she and her DH are on the go all the time. It's a little different too when you're the "single" like I am. BUT I know that if I needed her, and she was in town.. she'd be there to help me..

POTD: I'm STILL sorting fabric... but really need to wrap it up today. I have other projects that I need to work on. My friend Peggy is coming for coffee on Tuesday and at the rate I'm going I'm afraid there will still be pieces of fabric from one end of the house to the other.... granted a pretty short distance.

Rain is headed my way too, but looks like it won't last long. Have a little errand to run then it will be home and back to work. Now it's time for more coffee!

Have a great day everyone!

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:46 am

Good Perfect Morning..............

Plus the last two days have been perfect. With all the tall oaks & pines it's very green here, in the afternoon the sun reflects off the lake like diamonds and I'm in lake heaven.

Slept in a little only slept a little last night. Feeling rested enough to hopefully finish cleaning the sewing room. I'm starting to think what project I'll work on first. But 1st at noon I'll Skype with Kimberly & we'll watch a cooking show. Again this year I'm hooked Sharks shows....any one else?

Judi......with a sad, sad loss it was good to hear there were some pleasant happenings. Keeping them in my prayers. We seem to be in one of our prayer heavy times.
What type of furniture are you cleaning? Good luck with the puckering block.

Vel.....if heat is heading your way it will be here soon after...thanks. A nap always sounds like a good idea on a Sunday.

Maryz......sorry you're so hot. Good it's the last day :P . Hopping that hair cut washes out to just what you like. For a quick trip to Goodwill you picked up some sweet deals. I love tea cup pin cushions. HA! HA! I didn't know I was taller than you by 1/4"!!

I'm a bit embarrassed that I was the reason I lost my WIFI! But the cable guy really nice & just gave me a little smirk. He also fixed some issues with the TV. I'm good to go! How did I move this sentence down here?? Oh well!

Suzette.....I hope your day works out just as you want it too.

Jana.......what good news all the fishys lived through their adventure. What a trip!
Love bench pillows, can't wait to see yours.

Lois......sounds like you had a really nice day with Sandy.

Must go now and turn on Skype.

Love & Prayers................Kathy

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:17 am

Good afternoon everyone! Starting to feel a bit better but I keep going from hot to cold. Still got about 7 more days of this. Yippee! Not doing much as usual but sitting in my recliner and watching sports. I don't have alot of appetite so not eating much. Am drinking lots of water and milk though. Just feel yucky.

Hope you all have a good and safe day.
Sherry

Return to “Sew ins”