Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

July 30th 2022

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

July 30th 2022

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:06 am

Up and moving Good morning,,,Sorry Shirley Mae is having more problems...We will head out to the memorial service this morning,,,Picking up my son and stopping for brunch....They arriested 3 people yesterday...we dont know the details...but this will certainly help my niece put cloure to the murder...Randalls ashes were brought to her house yesterday too Very hard on the family.
I did work on the twin needle sewing a little but then I had to go down and clear out some stuff in the storage area and will clean up some furniture thats in there,,,It will get cleaned and brought into the main room...
The girls are having a good time together,,,making messes and playing games...Sophia brought over the VR glasses and they were doing that in the basement that s all my news and chat hope your day goes well XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ittybittygma

Re: July 30th 2022

Post by Ittybittygma » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:09 am

Good morning, Grammie and all who follow. So sorry for the sad day ahead for you and your family. Praying God will bring some sort of comfort and closure to your family. The world is so full of sadness and anger all around us too. Sending hugs and prayers your way today.

I am up early to feed the cats like usual. I think they can tell time, wake me before 4 every day to have breakfast. We sure don't get up that early. Whoever foster parent was must have been an early riser and the cats never forgot it. I usually go back to bed and get up again later when the sun says it is morning and life is bustling outside my door. I try to ignore them but they do not ignore very easily.

Thank you everyone for your kind comforting words and prayers for my family. I do feel better today since finally found a dr to remove the packing in my nose from my awful nose bleed earlier this week. He had to cauterize it but at least I can breathe now. Very good ENT, worked me in. Have to take it easy for 10 days until I return for a ck up with him. No lifting, no aspirin, etc. and supposed to just take it easy and rest so nose doesn't start bleeding again. And NO BENDING OVER AT WAIST, BEND KNEES. That is what started all the trouble in the first place. Not sure my DH understands me resting for 10 days tho. LOL

May God bless you all today with hope, and love, good health, and happiness. I do have lots of fabric scraps I keep finding and patterns etc too as I clean out some closets. Any suggestions what to do with them since I don't quilt anymore. I have counted cross stitch patterns too. Had no idea I had moved all that stuff when we moved this last time, on the bottom of some boxes and stuffed in back of drawers in a dresser.

All for now. Going back to bed. Still dark out and more rain expected in PHX area. We had 1.69" a few days ago and carport and patio was full of big big puddles. Garden loved it tho. Needed rain.

Have a great day, smile, and enjoy life each day. And hug those around you, never know how long they will be with us or we with them.

Shirley Mae/ittybittygma

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:16 am

Good morning,

JUDI - I'm so glad there has been an arrest. Hopefully a conviction and LONG sentence will follow. Closure, such as it is, can't happen until then. Be safe on the road today. Have you started moving furniture into the big basement room?

SHIRLEY MAE - Deep breathe, Dear! Deep breathe. You aren't alone. Your angels always have your back. As for your sewing and cross stitch, thrift shops sell bags of scraps and patterns of all kinds, so perhaps you could simply donate it all to a shop. Or is there a quilting or crafting guild in your area that could use it? A church? Senior Center? Good luck!

LYN - lol! I noticed the same thing in Izzy's post. I know pigs can have big litters, but I did think 64 was over the top! I dictate my posts, too, when I use my phone. You have to say your punctuation marks out loud. And I have to proofread before I hit SEND because my phone can have a potty mouth THAT I DON'T HAVE! lol! I can picture Minnie and the squirrel and their stand-off! :lol: Glad you are taking a day for YOU! You deserve it! Enjoy!

SHERRY - so sorry to hear you are sick. The virus is mutating - hence the different variants and the need for boosters even after two vaccines. But at least being vaccinated usually lessens the severity of the infection and keeps people out of hospitals. Saying a prayer for your quick and complete recovery.

CHRISS - how was your trip into town? Warm enough? Is "town" Merced? For us, Gig Harbor is 2-3 miles for everything and we've grown enough now that we don't have to go the 15 miles to Tacoma (and across the expensive toll bridge) very often. We even have a hospital, Costco, Target, Kohls, Home Depot, and 4 major grocery stores. We're big time now! But we don't have a Penney's or a Walmart. I miss the old days when you couldn't even see a neighbor's lights at night, but I admit I do enjoy the convenience of having everything close.

IZZY - glad your piggy babies finally arrived! And glad you don't have 64 mouths to feed!! lol! And glad you live on a hilltop, safe from flooding!

LOIS - I pulled my Book Nerd pattern since you reminded me of it. And I also found and pulled 3 more paper pieced wall hanging patterns from my pattern box (an old water wheel, a wooded winter scene, and a sheltie). I bought them years ago, before I taught myself to paper piece. I think I can do them now! I'll put them on my list. THANKS! I needed some projects to put on that list! But I better buy a second pack of paper piecing papers. It must be time for QIAD to have them on sale again. I tried copy paper but it's difficult to work with.

DIANE - glad you got a visit in at your LQS! :lol:

Yesterday was another hot one here. I played in my sewing room but didn't get a whole lot done. I finally went to the cooler living room with my audio book (mystery by Lorna Barrett) and worked on my cross stitch. This morning I'm going to get a much needed haircut and I might stop at the Goodwill. I have a donation to make at the back door and then I'll go around the front. I'm feeling "booky" so that's what I'll be looking for today - more books. I'll also do a little sewing. It looks like it's rained batik scraps all over my room!

Wishing us all full bobbins and well oiled machines!

mary z
>^+^<

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:33 am

Good morning all.
Judi, my heart goes out for your family. And, WOW what a beautiful remodeling effort! What a difference!
Shirley Mae! So sorry for your mountain of problems. Prayers for your whole family, too .
Maryz: enjoy the hair cut and the visit to Goodwill. I love exploring the bargains. Yesterday, my neighbor took me to the "Gift" ( the free everything's free) thrift store. Of course, we always put donation in the "box". I got a really nice chair for my desk. I had been borrowing a chair from our dinette set. Now I have a special chair for desk. 🤗
Don't know what's up for today, here. Might do a little sewing. Then an outdoor dance and music at our local DQ. That is always fun!!

We are having such gorgeous weather this weekend. The song from musical..... " Oh what a beautiful morning" came to mind this morning 🌅 as I opened the door and windows to let in the cool air and "drier" atmosphere!!
Hope you all can say the same thing. Hope you can enjoy your day!
Last edited by QuiltGram8 on Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:37 am

Good morning everyone.
We just got back from dropping off the machine for testing hubby for sleep apnea. The scary thing was the lady at the desk had no clue about it. So, I wrote down the time we dropped it off. They don’t give you any type of receipt for it. In a little while I am going to work on the graduation quilt. I have been making a lot of progress since my arms haven’t been hurting from arthritis. My thoughts going out for Shirley Mae and her family. I hope everyone has a great day.
Suzette

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:04 am

Clear Blue Sky this morning. Mountains are beautiful against the blue back drop. Makes me think of landscape quilt pictures that I want to do.

Judi, Safe travels. Sending prays to your family. I hope the S.O.B. that did this will admit it and be sentenced quickly, so there can be closure. Those girls may not want you to get the basement room settled into a new living area, sounds like they have other plans. lol

Shirley Mae, Sending you big Hugs. I hope you have a new book to read or something that keeps you slowed down for those days, as Dr. ordered.

MaryZ, I remember our being up at Fife in 2006, when we bought our first MH there. I thought going over to Gig Harbour would be fun, but got a peek at traffic and toll and changed our minds.

We ended up with a small hailstorm yesterday afternoon. Put a thin layer on the car and deck. I went into town to get our mail just as the rain was stopping and the Jeep temp said 46 degrees!! It had been upper 60's before the storm. Wish I could send some of the cool and rain to Texas. I drove past the place where they had piled up the hail a couple days ago and much of it was still there, taking up about 3 parking spot on the side of the main street.

Since we are now 'Streaming' on our TV, we aren't watching our usual programs because I'm not sure which App to find them on. There's lots of choices of Apps. But, we have found some interesting new shows to watch. On the Tubi App we found a show called The Block Australia, season 6. It's about 5 couples who are transforming an old 6 story hotel in some big city into 5 luxury Apts. I find it interesting how they do some things differently and some of their language or sayings are quite interesting. We haven't watch much News and that's just fine by me!

Didn't get as much done in my sewing room as I wanted yesterday, so I think I will avoid Adult mode and play in my sewing room again today.

Happy Saturday to All.
Lyn

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:15 am

Good morning!

Many thoughts and prayers for all y'all this morning. Life isn't easy, but we just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and we will get through together.

My kids will be home today from camping. Good thing, as the monsoons will kick in big time in the next couple of days. You can almost set a clock for the monsoons, August is when. Years back, my MIL, insisted vehemently, that a family reunion was done before the end of July. We all squawked, as our normal vacation was the middle of August, but after living here, I now know her reasoning. She was right, on that one thing.

Well, yesterday Grandma broke the fish tank! The fish are safe, swimming in a bucket on my island. Somehow, as I was getting up from the dinner table last night, my chair, slid against a plate on the counter, shoving the edge of the plate, into the glass of the fish tank, sitting right there, a loud pop ensued. Glad it's a small fish tank! So the water ran out slowly, onto the counter , down the front of the cabinet, and into the top drawer, my silverware drawer. So all my towels in the house got put into emergency service and now all the silverware is washed, and I have a clean drawer! What a way to clean a drawer! Towels are washed and dried too. So it's off to the pet store for a new fish tank this morning.

The little girls played and played and played! The mama bear in the Grandma did make an appearance and supervised the picking up and putting away of all the toys. You can now walk and even play under Karlie's bed. Later today, Aaron is taking Daniel out to show him the best roads to get around the valley on. Who better, than Aaron who drove the roads for many years! Also showing Daniel all the troopers hiding places out there. Insider info, a good th8ng! LOL!

You will find me 8n the Batt Cave, where I will be hibernating, ie, sewing!

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:09 am

Good Morning Girls

Hey.... look at me...Up, Showered, Dressed and the first load of laundry in and it's only 0930! Not bad for a gal who really enjoys sleeping in!

Judi.... Wishing you a safe trip today... you're headed to Indianna if I remember correctly. Good news that an arrest has been made, let's just hope if there is a trial (and not a plea deal) that it goes swifty and that justice will be served!

Shirelymae... Oh my goodness friend, my heart so goes out to you with all that is going on in your life right now. With each load of laundry in and each load out... I will think of you and send a prayer. And that will be quite a few today let me tell you. Sorry most of all that your son wants to move back to MO. Do you think you will go back as well?

Maryz... I looked at my weather app on my phone and man-o-man you are going to be HOT today! You have my sympathy especially with NO AC! We're headed in another heat wave next week, so you know I'll be sweatin' right along with you. I thought the idea of Goodwill was to drop and dash and NOT bring home any more stuff! ? :lol: :lol: But I have to admit.. I have done the same thing.

Velda..... Isn't there just something about throwing open the windows and letting the air in! Besides it being easier on the electric bill.... I do so love when windows are open.

Suzette.... I've heard that they can test for sleep apnea at home now.. have been thinking about doing that myself. Will they set up your DH for a C-Pap machine etc? Glad to hear your arms are feeling better.... good enough to sew--that's important!

Lyn.... Isn't that funny how the temp can drop like that in seconds! You know something is coming! I don't watch regular TV anymore either... everything is streamed. Always looking for something good to have on while I hand stitch at night or while I'm sewing during the day. I've watched all of "Virgin River" and Chicago PD and Chicago Fire.

Jana...Most important the fish are safe! Every time my coffee pot leaks I have a super clean counter top!

Spent a few hours with KC yesterday and holy moly does her place look nice now! Still not perfect but we vacuumed and moved all the boxes into corners. You can walk in there without tripping on something, got her sewing machine set up nicely and I washed the kitchen floor. The people that come in to do house cleaning do a crappy job! So naturally I brought home another suitcase full of fabric (this is about the last I think) so I am washing and sorting today. I found a lady in town that quilts for a church nearby, so I'm going to set aside some stuff she might be able to use. One of my neighbors makes those little pillowcase dresses so I found some fabric for her too. I'll go back another time or two, but then I think we're good. KC does really need a friend so I'll keep in touch but I think for the most part the cleaning/detashing is done!

POTD here will be laundry and to sort out what I brought home. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have a new big big washing machine. Might have to mop my kitchen floor and do some light housekeeping around here, but other than that.. it's a FONDLE FABRIC DAY!

Time for more coffee!

Have a wonderful day every one... with lots of prayers for you all!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:38 am

Good morning my beautiful friends. It's going to be another hot day today. Gotta love the person who invented AC.

Our fire is 52% contained, 109 houses lost and has burned 19,250 acres. And evacuation orders are still in effect in many areas. It's devastating to see so much black land where beautiful pine trees once lived. We still have 585 structures that are threatened. I really don't think we have seen the last of the fires in my state. There will be no rest for our fire men and women.

Today I was supposed to go on a hike through some other big trees in a place called Nelder Grove. But with the smoke and the fire equipment all over I am choosing to stay home. I never made it into my sewing room yesterday and today need a date with my machine.

ShirleyMae, thank you for your kind words, and for the kindness you showed to Marilyn as she was growing up. I'm in your boat, I also don't cook as well as I used to. Jerry has done the cooking for so long that I sort of let it slip away. Perhaps a local quilt group would like your fabric for charity quilts. I just donated a bunch of fabric and patterns to a thrift store that helps people in our area.

Judi, so glad an arrest has been made. I'm sorry for your niece. Have safe travels today, enjoy brunch.

Maryz, wish you were here. There is an estate sale going on where all the books are free. Today is the last day and a lot of other things will be free as well. They also have two old Singer machines in wooden cases that are hand crank, no electricity. I'm just starting to try FPP. Didn't know there were special papers. Town is usually Merced, except for when it is Mariposa. Merced has quite a few grocery stores, Costco, Wmart, Target, Hobby Lobby, Joanns, etc. Mariposa has a hardware store, grocery store and drug store. Mariposa also has the tourist type stores. Dad lives in Merced so I go there often.

Velda, so nice to wake up with a happy song in your head, makes for a happy day. Yay for new chair day. Love that you went to DQ. We don't have those here anymore but Jerry tells me about when he was a kid in Sumner, Ill and a couple would take him and his siblings to the local DQ for ten cent hamburgers, he said it was a real treat.

Suzette, so glad you are getting to sew today. Hope DH gets his results soon.

Lyn, We also stream tv. I was amazed at the number of choices out there that don't contain cussing and stupidity. We have a channel called Local B TV, it has our PbS and others. I also like landscape quilts. and something I am going to try one day is collage quilting by Emily Taylor.

Jana, not to make light of the fish tank breaking but I am picturing Dr. Seuss type fish with big eyes and "oh my gosh no" looks on their faces as the water ebbs. Nice that your MIL got that ONE thing right, funny.

Maryq, I love streaming. We've watched The Librarians, Sherlock and Holmes, and are now watching The Practice. I've learned that when I sew I have to stream something I can listen to rather than watch. It's been The Waltons lately. So nice that KC's place is looking good and that you are almost out of a job. She will appreciate your friendship. All the school supplies are out, time for some spiral notebook shopping. I probably have 10 of those notebooks in my sewing room, each partially full, guess I need some full ones.

I was just asked on a date for next Saturday. The Sonora farmers market is each Saturday and I have a date for the next one. Today was going to be a yard sale but why? I have calendar blocks, heart blocks, and RW&B blocks needing attention.

Time to start my day, you all have a great one.
Chriss
Psalm 91

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:15 am

A quick run by to let everyone know I am still here. Boy 3 days of free sew. 40 fab years quilt top is done, (posted in pictures), good progress on my trucks and made my last July lotto block. We will be picking the winner tomorrow. August is also posted.

Today I have 2 charts to do and then sewing. Resting the back a bit first.

Would like to ask prayers for a friend of mine. She lost everything in the Napa area fires a few years ago. She was able to buy another home in Northern California which is now once again surrounded by flames. Her husband stayed behind to try and save the house so she is very concerned about that too. She made it out with her car and the pets. I have not been able to get in touch with her the last couple hours so not sure where everything stands. Hoping it is just her cell battery is dead.

Nothing much else new here.

Have a great day, Valerie
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Return to “Sew ins”