Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

wednesday July 20 2022

Daily discussions.
auntjana

Re: wednesday July 20 2022

Post by auntjana » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:42 am

Good morning!

The Dr office called and canceled yesterday's appointment for our booster, but rescheduled it for next Tuesday. They are having trouble getting the vaccine in the office. Seems that the government is playing games with how much vaccine is getting delivered. I grumble alot, but will get it.

Happy birthday Mr. Bill! Ribeye and jeans, a new and different combination!

Today around here is more of same. Daniel unpacking and me trying to figure out places for everything in my kitchen. I now have fish and a Keurig on my counters. At least now Kari doesn't need a run out to Starbucks to start her morning. She was doing that because I don't have a coffee maker or coffee in this house, until Daniel found the right box with hers.

I have a package arriving from QIAD today. It took the long way in getting here - QIAD to Memphis then back here to SLC, then across the valley to Draper and finally supposedly my house here. We will see.... The plane could have shoved it out the door over my house on the way to Memphis!

Hopefully i get some sewing time today. My backup machine is done over at the spa. It's earlier than they said, I'm good with that. So we need a run across the valley to get her. In fact, Draper, where my package is. Guess we will pass each other!

All my grands will be in school. Lila, the youngest will be in pre-school a couple of days a week. Lila will attend pre-school at the same school Gracie attends. It's a special pre-school to help other children with special needs. Kids, like Lila, help show the special needs children the way to do things and it teaches children how to help a special needs child as well. Lila is a helpful little girl, also very friendly, a good match for this pre-school.

In fact, a Lila story. Yesterday the little girls were all playing and somehow Lila got a scratch on the back of her ankle. It bled a tiny bit, so in she comes to Grandma wanting a bandaid. It didn't need one, but she was insistent. I didn't have one handy, but Karlie ran and got the first aid kit from her room. Had a princess bandaid, so out the bandaid came and I was about to put it on, when Gracie informed me that the scratch needed to be washed and cleaned before we apply the bandaid. I just said it's fine and put the bandaid on. Then Lila, our drama queen, extraordinaire, started limping and saying she couldn't walk because her leg is broken, after I put the bandaid on. Really, little girl, you were running in here just fine, until the bandaid was applied, was my answer. She saw the Grandma look and knew she couldn't milk it with me, so ran off playing, that is until Kate arrived and Lila tried hard the sympathy for me hurt routine, didn't work with mom either! Oh those three! Sarah has the two little girls today, and Karlie may go play up there.

Do fun stuff, the day's too short not too!

Hugs,
Jana

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:56 am

Lyn -

I post everything in our Quicken - not for taxes, but so we can keep track of the checking account and the charges we do. I do the posting and Michael does the reconciliation. I post every couple of days, so it only takes me about 5 minutes. We have set up on the credit card accounts that notify us when a charge is made as well. We can stay on top if someone has gotten our numbers. Michael keeps my computers synchronized, so I can post on my computer and he can access it on his. I have a basket in the laundry room, where we come in the house, and all the receipts go there, so I can quickly gather everything together. Michael is well trained to put the stuff he buys receipts there.

So it may not be fast, but only takes me a couple of minutes to stay current.

Jana

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:57 am

Happy hump day, two visits last night, charting done so since computer on decided I would take the time to come visit.

I have a gentleman coming at 9 for an estimate for a ramp. Just can't get Dad up and the down the driveway anymore. Too much of a slope. I had an estimate done on Sunday to the tune of $12,529.00! Now that I have picked my jaw up off the floor I am going to shop around a bit. Not that I have a lot of choices. next closest person is either Sacramento or San Francisco and not sure they will come that far.

Judi can't wait to see your place when it is all completed. Sounds like it is going to be wonderful.

Suzette nice to see you. I like to cut fabric. I guess it means another quilt on the way!

Vel sometimes everyday life is just what we need.

Dianne oh my goodness, I have not had German rye bread in ages. I don't know of any real German places around here though. We have a lot of Hispanic and Asian, more India popping up (that's my fav) but not a lot of others. Maybe in San Francisco.

Lois hoping you will be posting a pic of your tablerunner. I bought a table runner book in Vegas last May and have no idea where I put it. Was looking for it a bit back and it is no where to be found.

Flo wow 105, and I am complaining about the 83 we will have. I really am heat intolerant. So happy DGD is getting new toys.

Maryz wish I could get those quilts together as fast as you do. If you need more projects, I have plenty to send! Please send Bill Birthday wishes for me.

Lyn every time I hear you mention the Mtn, I think of the song, She'll be coming round the mtn when she comes" LOL. I don't post credit card receipts. The interest is not deductible so unless you are purchasing something that is, waste of time for me anyway.

Maryq I spent a majority of the day yesterday sewing too. I have 8 ice skates done, 3 more cut out and fabric pulled for toy truck. Hoping to get the last 3 ice skates done and maybe some trucks cut out. I have several other projects in the works too to work on incase I get bored with these. I do need to get some sample August Lotto blocks done too. You know, I may just do that first. They are the priority at this point. Only 11 days of July left! Oh that means fall is that much closer. My favorite season.

Have a great day everyone
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:51 am

Good Sunny Summer Day!

Looks like it will be Summer all week here. I slept all night & got up at 10:30....I feel really great.....sleep is a wonder.

Thank you for Kimberly prayers. She is sounding & feeling better.
I just got off the phone with BFF Cheryl. She has a scan appointment next week. Her Dr found an irregular shaped lesion on her liver. She is grateful I'm bringing it to you for prayer.
Thank you.

I have some food stuffs to put away but the cabinet is saying 'no' clean me out first. So I'll start my day there. I can feel the heat building up....hello AC.

Judi......have a wondaful day with the new counter top.

Suzette......hope your day is full of those quilts.

Vel....new fusible battling & fabric inspiration sounds like a good match.

Diane....Glad you got the math all worked out. What a pain that would be.

Lois.....hope you find a fun pattern to work with.

Flo.....Lisa will love the new toys for sure. Lucky you ...hope your vines produce lots of berries.

Maryz.....Happy Birthday to Bill!! Steak & cake sounds delish.

Lyn....have a nice trip down the Mt.

Love & Prayers.............Kathy

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:55 am

Good morning ladies been app and Busy in the sewing room working on my Cleopatra fan quilt blocks my goodness the pining that goes on in that block

Got two more cabinets cleaned out today and two drawers all cleaned out had a drawer full of milk tops I don’t know why I save those things but I had a drawer full of those in soda pop tops I think I was gonna make checkers out of them at one time needless to say they’re all in the trash now

DH got me the ninja creamy for an early Christmas present since it was Amazon days and it was $70 off the other day so it came in disappointed I was thinking it did more than what it really does but gonna try it out tomorrow going to mix up the ice cream mix tonight and put it in the freezer and see how it does

Getting ready to take little man swimming and work on some hand blocks I still need to pin together I have four blocks left in my farm girl vintage quilt top the 6 inch blocks once I have those all handpiece then I can start working on the sashing and getting it put together
This quilt is going to be all done by hand

Made another batch of pickles yesterday so picking some ripe tomatoes finally so can’t wait for those to start coming in so I can start canning tomatoes in making pasta sauce again

Will pick all my cabbages this weekend and get sauerkraut made as well

Well nothing else new here I did make two table runners for church for homecoming I need to quilt those this week and then they will be ready to display on the altar table and the back entrance table

Hugs 🤗 prayers 🙏 happy stitches 🧵
🐐izzy

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:44 am

Good morning. It will be a hot beautiful day today.

The plan is to go to a fire safety fair put on by Mariposa Safe Families. They have handouts, stuff and free hotdogs. I am buying lunch for a friend at this event. I'm quite cheap. The fire between me and the fair is about 25% contained and has burnt 420 acres. It will be interesting to see the burn scar. Sadly two people lost their homes. The cause of the fire was a car that went off the side of the highway and down a small embankment where it caught fire. They were either going way too fast to make the curves or they weren't paying attention to the road. It's really sad for me to see so much land burned.

Judi, way to wear those girls out!! I also pull out my hexi box from time to time. Mine are 2 inchers. Takes a long time to use up scraps at two inches at a time but it keeps me out of the bars.

Velda, your sisters are going to love those purses. I'm still looking for the perfect purse pattern. Until then I will buy them. I use a Rosetti Shai Mini Crossbody. And I wait for them to go on sale, I'm cheap.

Diane, do you make those kits to send out to people to sew or do you make a bunch of kits then sew them yourself? Glad you have a new member of your group, what a Godsend.

Lois, wow girl, you kicked butt on that spice quilt. happy table runner making.

Flo, I used to know the names of all the pretty little ponies. Your DGD is going to be surprised to see that box of toys.

Maryz, I saw the calendar quilt, love it. I would keep everything I have in my sewing room but it's only a 12x12 room and I keep bringing in more. I buy books or patterns at the thrift store and my justification is that it's only a dollar and it's a donation. I take them home, and either keep them or give them away or take them back to the thrift store or library. It's a tail chaser. Happy birthday to Bill. I am available for ribeye's and cake, just sayin'

Lyn, yay for the new mirror. Not sure why you need to post the receipts. Why did my grandparents save every electric and phone bill since the beginning of time? go sew girl, toss those receipts.

Maryq I'll be waiting for the posted picture of that quilt. Have fun at KC's, It would be fun to help but I am also glad I am not there.

Jana, never a dull moment between the kids and grands. so so sorry about the near death experience of the scratch on the ankle. what a hoot.

Valerie, I told Jerry about the cost of building a ramp. He suggested you go to your local carpenter's union hall and see if a carpenter who is between jobs wants to build one. Or, google your local ADRC (Aging Disability Resource Center) Perhaps they have a vendor who helps seniors. Or, google your local Agency on Aging to see if they can help you. Sometimes these places have people who just do nice or lower cost things for seniors. These organizations should be in every state. Here we used to have a CYA camp. California Youth Authority. The young men there would cut firewood for senior's or do yard work. They do work on the fire lines.

Kathy, just said a prayer for Cheryl, clean out theose cupboards girl, We are learning to buy things in smaller quantities. I just threw out a ton of spices that were outdated. yay for a good nights sleep.

Izzy, swimming wears a person out. when he gets out of the pool he will be starving and ready for a nap. I am not sure 6 inch blocks are good for my fat fingers, but I do love the Vintage patterns.

Gotta go learn to be fire safe. Dad was a fireman so I will see if anything has changed.

Have a marvy day
Chriss
Psalm 91

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:00 am

Oh my. Forgot I have to clean out garage freezer today. Boy what a job. Thinking a new frost free freezer may be in order

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:23 pm

Val, yuck, the freezer. but in this heat it must thaw quickly. Amazon also has wheel chair ramps. Might even be a better option than the list of places I told you about earlier.
Psalm 91

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:53 pm

I had another gentleman here today. He is checking with city for regulatory issues. He would build a wooden one which is not really what I want but we will see. The ones on Amazon etc are too small. There are several rules when it comes to length of ramp as it relates to the slope of the land which is what is making this so complicated. I have too much slope which makes the length longer. It's hard to explain. Then every so many feet you have to have a resting platform. Since the length is longer then I also need more landing platforms. There is also the option of a wide walkway maybe. Construction materials have really increased in price. May be at plan E before I figure this out. Haven't been able to find a carpenters union here but that's a great idea.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:56 pm

Valerie -

We got a portable, if you can call it that, wheelchair ramp, sized for my front steps into the house here. It's aluminum and comes in sections. We got it for Michael's Dad to get him in our house and Matt's house too. I keep it stored out in our barn now it's not needed. My handyman borrowed it too, after his wife had foot surgery. It wasn't too terribly expensive, not anywhere near what you posted. We found it online, but I don't remember where.

Return to “Sew ins”