Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday July 19th 2022

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Wednesday July 19th 2022

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:31 am

Good Morning,,,it is hot and sunny here too. I was up early got dressed and made the bed. Girls are sleeping ( they sat up half the night) Sophia was not supposed to be here but her mom relented and she will go home tomorrow for hockey instead of today. Speaking of hockey Liam played last night with his high school varsity,,,,He got ice time and did ok....He loves the game. Coach is hesitant on letting the freshmen play these games as the varsity is so much bigger hes leery of the freshmen getting hurt,,,but all was well...Study shows average kid playing hockey burns 3500 calories.....Maybe I should,......Nope nope nope.....
I cut some more Shermans March Yes you have the right pattern,,,it is a doozy. Today I am on a mission to repair "Blankie" Sophias long time friend....His edges are frayed and he has a few little holes...The flannel is so thin in spots I am afraid his days are numbered, but Sophia desnt care He lives in her bed,,,if you have idesas I m all ears,,,,I thought of layering him with batting and backing and making him into a small quilt...or just binding him with satin blanket binding and reinforcing the edges,,,darning up the few little holes and call it good....It is a given this guy will be with her till there is no more blankie to hug...Liam used to carry a red dinasuar with him everywhere his name was Red and we got him at Build a Bear,,he had a waredrobe and He was always with Liam...Now he still sits on the bed at home but doesnt go anymore,,,He is also very tattered and loved...Nolan has retired his Giraffe named "giraffee" to a box in his closet. We once has a search party when Giraffee went missing and Nolan almost called 911...its amazing the things kids have,,,with many $$$$ of stuff they hand on to something old...
Well I need coffee and get some things done running the vaccume and dusting some furniture,,,hope your days are cooler as they go on....the heat is very bad for so many.....I feel bad for the homeless people who some through no fault of their own and mental illness are suffering the heat,,,,cooling centers are opened here if the temps get over the 90s..
Painting is coming along,,,Primer is on and paint will be done by the end of the week.....Flooring guys are scheduled for next week,,..Have a wonderful day XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FlorenceM

Re: Wednesday July 19th 2022

Post by FlorenceM » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:00 am

Morning Judi & all to follow
Maryq, I do hand quilt 95% of my quilts. It can take me a couple of months for a throw size up to 1 yr on a king size. I have never big stitched a quilt, but I may one day.
Second heart quilt will be ready for binding on a day or so, first one has 1 side border added, and second side border in progress.
Cool story, yesterday Joe was went to kids house to work on something. He had to come home for tools, when he went back, DGD, who is non verbal autistic, was crying. DDIL ran her here thinking a toy got left behind. She ran to me, wrapped her arms around me and quieted...she missed Gramma. She will be here for playtime today. I feel so cherished.
Today going to be very hot, so staying in.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:09 am

Good morning!

I hate today! Michael is insisting on another booster shot. I hate shots! And totally dislike doctors offices too! I have tried every way possible to get out of this, but doubt I will.

Daniel is busy - booted my car from the garage to unpack the stuff for in the house. We did get a new fan for their room. Only one, didn't find a fan for my room. None floated my boat. That can wait.

Ethan and Karlie helped me bake cookies yesterday and took the cookies up to my friend. I saved a few which they gladly ate.

Saw Matt's new car. It's black from my perspective. It has cameras that can see all around the car, not just a backup camera. Baden thinks that a drone came with the new car. That when the cameras are on, the drone is flying above, taking pictures. He's 6.

My sewing time is slightly cut back,, with Kari working - sewing machines make noise that when she's in meetings or talking to clients can be heard. So I will get things cut, marked and prepped, to make efficient use of my time. The Batt Cave will stay clean, LOL!

Do fun stuff, and enjoy the day! We are still hot. It's summer. We may see 4 seasons here, but the temperatures are only 2, OK, maybe three, cold, hot and hot as the hinges of he**!

Hugs,
Jana

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:16 am

Good morning,

FLO - that is the sweetest story. You are, indeed, cherished!

JUDI - Ahhh,, Blankie. Blankie lived at our house, too, and went everywhere that Lara went. I did have to reinforce the edges with blanket binding finally. And it was never quite the same. She rubbed the soft edges against her face, but didn't like the feeling of it after that. Autumn's blankie got dragged off into the woods by a friend's dog and we didn't find it for many days. Only shreds were left after that, but I gathered them up, took them home, washed what I could, and trimmed the biggest piece and put binding on it. And Mike had a green stuffed dinosaur named Denny. I think Mike still has Denny.

LYN - Good to hear Maddox is doing better after getting some fluids! Too funny " put that nurse in jail for putting in the IV"! hahaha! Kids do say the darndest things.

MARY Q - happy birthday to Brennen! Did he get his fishing pole? Did you get your gas line capped? When are your appliances coming? Isn't it time? We still have a month to go for ours. So how do you fold those backings? I find fan folding works well to fit quilts and large pieces of fabric into boxes, totes, shelves.

JANA - Yay! You get fans! Well, one, anyway. And a young person to install them! It is, for sure, good to be you! I was wondering how it would work with the sound of your sewing machine in the background when Kari is working. Maybe you need one of those sound muffling office partitions to divide up your Batt cave.

CHRISS - When I sew any size squares or blocks together, I sew them into "chunks" of the final quilt and then sew the chunks together. Much easier to match seams and handle in the machine. The size of the chunk usually depends on the size of the finished quilt. And even if I do sew a whole row of blocks together, I still break the quilt into halves or thirds, then sew those portions together. I am rarely on FB. I don't think I'm missing out on much. Complaining seems useless, but it's kind of a form of venting, I guess. And you don't know that Laura Ingalls Wilder didn't complain about the heat . . . 8-) But being hateful about it - or anything else - doesn't help anybody.

LORI - I think temps now are hotter than they used to be. But I just know I'm grateful to live where I do. And I'm also grateful that women did away with all those long skirts and petticoats!!

SHERRY - strawberry cream pie sounds kind of delicious!

VAL - I sure hope if your background fabric doesn't come soon, you find something you like as well. I lived in Aurora for 2-1/2 months back in 1974. In a duplex. Mike was offered a better job opportunity so we came back to WA.

Yesterday I got my calendar quilt together, pieced the backing, and made the binding. It's now in the QQ - Quilting Queue. And I have nothing to do!! I might have to remedy that today. Or - I could reline some of my kitchen shelves. I have the liner and thought I'd save it for my sisters and I to do together next month when they both visit. But I seem to be meeting some resistance of that idea. I could also do some laundry today. After our gathering last night, I have some tablecloths and towels to wash and it's going to be a good line-drying day.

Y'all have a fab day!
mary z
>^+^<

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:34 am

Good Sunny Cool Morning.......

Yes, it's me! Do not know what's happened to me but I will blame it all on the lack of sleep. I only slept from 6 to 8 in the recliner this morning. I keep trying to develop my old sleeping patterns.

I wish I could share. The weather has been cool here, now it's 70* with a breeze. We had such thunder & down pours last night. Everything seems to be greener. Every summer the 1 tomato I plant in a pot never seems to grow. Happy to say it's skinny but tall and lots of flowers & tiny tomatoes. When I trim the suckers off today I'll do the tomato dance.
The cleaning girl has been here 3 times. She sweet & I like her. She says she likes cleaning but she's not that good at it. It forces me to speak up on how I want/need things done.

Kimberly is in the hospital from the rehab. She had a sore, but not a bed sore they said, that got infected. How can someone in a hospital where everyone where's masks get her 2ed case of covid? She's got a really bad case of it now but started to improve yesterday. She could use a few prayers please....thank you.
I made headway in cleaning off the sewing tables & still shredding old paper work. I got the sewing bug a little. I saw a pattern for a wreath on Shabby(forgot the rest of the name). It uses a new product I havent seen a soft flexible foam. It will make a great Christmas gift.

Judi...... happy Liam got to play, he must have felt great! My girls have a teddy they loved till they had no fur. A friend's child had a blankie that was loved to pieces. She made a pillow out of it using several layers of very soft/see through vail fabric.

Flo.......you are such a sweet Grandmother.....(((HUGS)))

I'll try to do better posting. Love & Prayers.............Kathy

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:32 am

Got out of the shot! The office just called and canceled it again! Whoo hoo!

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:39 am

Good Morning Girls

Hey Look at me It's 0917 and I am UP, SHOWERED, and DRESSED~ A real red-letter day for me! Another HOT HOT day... no place I gotta go today!

Judi... Funny how kids get attached to a thing.. Shawn had "bouse (a stuffed mouse) and Baby... a dolly. Man the world stopped if we couldn't find bouse and baby! I don't remember Jen and Kevin being so attached. Tho Jen was miserable without her paccy! Jen has a quilt of my grandmother's that is literally in shreds.. Next time I go to AK I'm going to bring it home and see if there are some pieces big enough to put in a picture frame. That quilt was definitely well loved.

Flo... You must have a magic touch with DGD. There is just something about the relationship between Grandmother and grand child that is special. I'm so impressed that you do so much hand quilting. It's almost a lost art!

Jana... Have you ever looked at Wayfair for fans? My kids got one that is so neat! It's all remote control and when it's just off you can't see the blades.. When you turn it on the blades unfold out and spin. It's really cool and I'm thinking about getting one in my bedroom. All my ceilings here are really high and I'm thinking it might help keep the air flowing a little better!

Maryz... Kris taught me how to fold fabric like this: fan fold the length at about 34-36" then fold that up in 3rds, then fold that in 1/2. Works really well for those long lengths that I buy for backing. Once folded they will stand up in a tote box and I can get about 8-10 cuts of fabric in a tote. Man you whipped up that Calendar block fast! I do have my sashing ready to go for mine and it will be done in record time--for me anyway.

KATHY!!!>.....There you are!! Wondering where you've been! Great to see you! Will send some prayers out to Kimberly.. hope she is doing better every day.

Today's POTD will be to sash my calendar blocks... and then see what else will catch my eye. Tom and Viv are stopping by this morning on their way to fix up my gas line. After that the day is mine. The appliances are scheduled to arrive on Thursday and the kids are coming over Thurs. night to help me get them all set up. They are headed to WI on Friday so they want to get at least the washer/dryer connected before they go. We can do dishwasher next week. I never thought I would MISS doing laundry!

Now my coffee is cold so I Need a refill!

Wishing you all a Terrific Tuesday

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:04 am

Good morning. It's going to be another hot day today. So funny, the news shows the weekly forecast and anything from 103 up is hot. the two days this week that are 102 don't show as hot but as cooler. cracks me up. I wonder who draws the line in the sand on that one.

Judi, I enjoyed your kids stories. Richard had a stuffed dog that he won in the diaper derby in the fair. His name is Barkey. Rich even stuffed Barkey in his backpack and took him to school. Barkey now lives on the top shelf of my closet and is missing his nose.

Flo, grandma hugs are truly the best ever. What I wouldn't give to have one myself. That little girl is so blessed to have a grandma who gives good love filled hugs.

Jana, you may have dodged the shot today but you and I both know it's going to happen sooner or later. Next month I get my second shingles shot, I think we should both get ice cream afterwards.

Maryz, yesterday Jerry came in my room and saw the blocks on my wall. He liked your dogs. Glad you got your calendar blocks put together, I'm staring at mine. That's two projects staring at me along with a tote full of scraps needing my attention.

Kathy, so good to see you. Prayers for Kimberly. glad you found a cleaning person you like. How is the lawncare person working.? Your tomatoes seem to be doing much better than ours, but now that the heat is here perhaps we will have an abundance.

Maryq, seems you and I are switching places. You are up early and dressed and I am sleeping in and falling behind. I also have laundry to do but will wait until thursday. Enjoy those new appliances.

Sherry, we have been looking at those Generac's. Our power seems to go out mostly in the summer. We also have propane. With my luck we will install one and never have a power issue ever again.

Valerie, our portable generator runs on regular gas too. Personally I think it's fine and does what we need it to do. And if it gets crazy hot we can check into a motel or go for a ride in the car. Not sure if we will go whole house generator or not. I bring my lap top into my sewing room and watch movies or tv on it. I usually put on something I don't have to pay attention to, I just like noise. When I was watching The Chosen I didn't get any sewing done at all. So excited to see what next months lotto brings.

The other day I went through my sewing room. I have a pile of books to go to the library for their sale and a garbage bag full of pre quilted panels for baby quilts to go to the thrift store. I still have way too much stuff and need to thin it out a bit.

Jerry is making me some granola. I have yogurt, fruit and granola in the evening. If I cut it out I probably would lose a pound or two but I don't seem to be doing that.

Guess I need to get my day going before my day completely goes away

Chriss
Psalm 91

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:03 pm

Chriss, I'm going to make granola today too. I have a really simple recipe. You're one of my favorite people too.

Maryz, It's hard to believe women wore those heavy garments in summer.

Jana, our Chevy truck has cameras everywhere too. It's crazy. Too much going on for me. I just use the mirrors.

Judi, dang...Hockey burns that many calories? Maybe I should do that. lol

We'll the house is vacuumed once again. I got some plants repotted this morning too. So now to go do some errands. Then a little sewing this afternoon.

Have a wonderful day.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”