Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Monday July 18,2022

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Monday July 18,2022

Post by fabricgirl » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:40 am

Good morning,
Happy Monday it hot out and very dreary we are suppose to get thunder storms and yes it's raining where Bill is also.
I finished all the blocks for spice road and will start putting rows together today this throw takes up my whole design wall.
Well thats all the news here everyone have a great day.
Lois

FlorenceM

Re: Monday July 18,2022

Post by FlorenceM » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:51 am

Morning Lous and all to follow,
Maryz, I did get puff quilt repaired. It's on quilt rack. I think puppy tore it, so it won't go on guest bed for awhile.
Yesterday I got a good start on side border for quilt.
Today hot here, so will bake banana bread and quilt.
Flo

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:20 am

Good morning,

LOIS - Who is looking forward to this week more - you or your DH? lol! My DBIL often goes off for a week or two here and there and my sis calls it her vacation. I hope everyone has a great week! I've checked out the quilts in that Laundry Basket book and they are all beautiful and look pretty intense. But I know you'll have fun with them! And I'm really looking forward to seeing a photo of your Spice Road when it's finished!

JANA - how is everyone settling in now that you have everyone in one place?

JUDI - What's happening today? Who mentioned that diamond painting for the girls? I've seen some of that and it's beautiful. They might like it.

MARY Q - hooray for shelves! Hooray for grandsons who put up shelves! Did you get most everything put away yesterday in your sewing room? Wish I was there! I could come help you do that and then you can come here for our little brat-fest! And I bet we could rustle up an old bottle of wine around here somewhere for you . . . . :roll:

CHRISS - I was thinking the same thing - wonder what fabric Mary Q has up for grabs - but then I look at my stash and shake my head. But thrift shop finds can't be resisted! 109*! I don't think you need to worry about me visiting. Is Cali having rolling brownouts during the heat or is your electrical grid in overload with everyone using AC? You asked to see my table runner so I did post a photo for your oohing and ahhhing convenience.

SHERRY - I hope all your favorites won yesterday in your TV sports. Our Mariners are having a stellar year - or at least a stellar last couple of weeks. We don't watch because Bill says they move too slow for him. He'd end up with a 3-hr nap!

VALERIE - I believe Suzette said she is making the graduation quilt for her BFF's grandchild. Where in CO were you born?? We've been all over that state. I have a lot of family there. I even lived there for a short time back in 1974. I hope your Starry Night fabric comes soon! I've forgotten - what is it like? Have you started looking around for it in other places - just in case? Calendar fabric would be purrfect for borders for the calendar swap. I'm sure there's some somewhere, but I've never seen it.

LORI - I've only bought a couple kits in my lifetime. The ones I bought didn't save me any money but they were convenient and the fabrics were top quality. However I have a giant stash and if I bought kits, then I'd never get my stash whittled down! So I make my own kits but occasionally have to augment here and there for special projects.

Yesterday was grocery/Costco day. Prices have really taken a jump and there were a lot of empty shelves - like we haven't seen much of before. Costco still doesn't have canned mushrooms. They've been a staple there as long as we've been going to Costco - 30+ years. And they are $2 for the little can at Fred Meyer. But we found them at Costco on line for a little over half that price and ordered 24 cans. Free shipping. I also got my calendar swap together, using green backing scraps for sashing that was leftover from my Irish Chain=. Then I cut out 5" squares from all my holiday fabrics and I'll mix them up and sew them together to make borders. Maybe today.

Tonight is our weenie roast, using Johnsonville Brats. But everyone is bringing something so I won't be spending the whole day prepping. I am going to make a bowtie pasta caprese salad, baked beans, and all the dog fixin's. And we might put out a bottle of wine just in case Mary Q stops by. ;) :lol:

I heard from Cindy. She has been spending time with family and recently bought a travel trailer (an Imagine by Grand Designs for the RVers in the crowd) and is parking it permanently on a spot next to her DD's campsite. She said she hopes to be spending a lot of time there, something she and Don always loved - camping. He shoulder is improving, she's out of the sling now and doing a lot of PT.

Stay cool! or Stay dry! Whatever you need to be!
mary z
>^+^<

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:46 am

Good Monday!
Judi, thank you for your kind words Saturday. I try to get some things done when here. We may be truly nuts for getting the second place, though it will become the final home when we quit traveling. Guess we're taking after my parents. For many years they had the Colorado house, a small MH and a house in Mesa, Arizona. They quit traveling in their late 80's.

Had a scare yesterday, Maddox ended up in the hospital. He was dehydrated from a virus, not Covid. Daddy Curt text me and said they had gotten an IV started. Maddox wanted the nurses put in jail for doing that. :lol: He went home last evening.

It's to hit 90 here today. I plan to get outside early and remove some weeds before it's too warm. Then some dreaded paperwork and hopefully some fun sewing time.
Lyn

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:49 am

Good Morning So glad to hear Cindy is doing well...We have looked at Grand design and it is one of our favorites. It is very quiet here,,Chey is still sleeping Sophia had to go home Volleyball tody and hockey tomorrow...They are leaving thurs day to go up north till sunday so Chey will have to put up with grammie...I would like to take her shopping for Birthday but she wants Sophia to go to so we will wait till next week i guess. I was up early this morning 6am but started laindry coffee and a bit of cleaning,,,I straightened up the kid room up stairs...the downstairs room is a mess with a sleeping teenager,,,so I will leave that alone. Chey wont sleep in the kid room alone...they think my house is haunted,,,but its not...
I have begun to cut the Shermans March quilt...a lot of cutting and a lot of ppieces,,,There are 42 - 8 1/2 in blocks but a lot of pieces in each block...(hundreds of pieces)..It will be a slow process...I come up here in between laundry loads and room cleaning,,,
Well I hope your day goes well...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:50 am

Good morning!

Let the busy-ness begin! Daniel hits the floor running and has a list, in his brain of what he's doing. First is a run down to Home Depot, Lowes, or both. Their bedroom gets very warm and he wants to install a fan in there. There's just a ceiling light. So, since it's my house, we will buy it and get something I like. And there's a fan in my bedroom that needs to be replaced, so will get one too. What else Daniel needs is on sale and if Michael uses our credit card, Daniel can save more money with our Vet discount. A good thing these days! Then it's unpacking and settling in. When Daniel emptied the Uhaul, it's just in Sandee's extra garage and Daniel wants to organize all of it, so Sandee and Scott won't be too inconvenienced.

The altered clothes for Joseph worked, so I will finish up the 2 pairs of running shorts I have here. Should take all of ten minutes to do that.

Aaron is off today, so Daniel will enlist or should I say, Shanghai his help.

I could do laundry, but I can wait until tomorrow. Probably I will be a sidewalk superintendent, of which, I am very good at! Well, I am being summoned to start something.

Hugs,
Jana

As Chriss says - It's good to be me!

maryq

Post by maryq » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:33 am

Good Morning Girls

Wait a minute! Did I go to sleep in Minnesota and wake up in Texas? It's 0910 here and the temp is already 88*! YUK.

Lois... Man you got that quilt together really fast!

Flo... You hand quilt all your quilts right? How long does it usually take you to finish one? Have you ever done "big stitch" quilting? I saw that once and thought it was really cool, and even bought a hoop to try it... guess it's not for me.. I don't have the patience for it.

Maryz... Spend the whole day cleaning and organizing and re-folding! Kris taught me a different way to fold long yardages, ( pieces that I have for backings) so they fit very nicely in tote boxes. So all that stuff that was hanging in the closet is nicely folded. Have one more little clean up to do then I can SEW SEW SEW! Glad you heard from Cindy that she is doing well and SO glad she found a little camper for herself! She will sure enjoy being able to camp again!

Lyn... Sending prayers for Maddox! It's funny how quickly one can feel better though after a little hydration.. been there done that! No big plans to sell the Colorado house? How is the housing market out there? It's still crazy here!

Judi ... Is this the quilt you are doing? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/108790147225603226/ I had to google it to see what Sherman's March is.. It is Gorgeous! Ok, so I am a little bit jealous... you get to do laundry!

Jana... A year ago I was where you are! U Haul trucks in the drive way.. furniture hauling, stuff in storage. But you know the best part of the whole thing with the kid moving in... you can grab a hug whenever you need one. And little girl hugs are some of the best!

Today is Brennen's 18th birthday! Am waiting to hear the plans for the day. I think Tom was going to take him to Cabela's and let him look for THE muskie fishing rod/reel he wants. It will be a gift from all of us. I'm sure there will be cake in there some where. I'm hoping Tom can come over and cap off my old gas line today or before they go home tomorrow.

For now I better get in the shower etc, just in case they decided to stop by.

Oh and did you hear the news... Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck got married! Doesn't that just make your day! Such exciting news! GAG GAG... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :!:

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:25 am

MaryQ, thanks for the prayers. There's no plans to sell the Colorado house at this time. If we can't be in Canada, this is a nice place, just no fishing like Canada. Our house is on the south side of Estes Park valley and pretty quiet.

I have been in contact with CindyG, too. The campground area is near the coast and up the road an hour or so from our coast location. She's enjoying buying new things for her trailer and assured me there's room for her Sew Ezi table and machine.

I just found some quilt magazines in a pile of stuff. Looking at one over breakfast and found a good idea. Take an old coffee or tea cup and make a pin cushion. I recently
found a cup with a picture of DD2 on it from high school band, I think it might become a pin cushion. I didn't use it for coffee much, back in the day, for fear the picture would wear off.
Lyn

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:57 am

Good morning. We should see 106 degrees today, phew a cool down from the 109* we saw yesterday. We are 15 degrees away from that 106. Either way, I am indoors with the AC on.

The power went out for about an hour last night, it's done the same thing at the same time for the last three nights. Boy it's fun to read the Facebook posts, when did people start getting so hateful and think everything is a conspiracy? I posted that I was thankful I wasn't homeless because our hour of discomfort was nothing compared to what it must be like to be homeless. Someone shot back that the homeless don't pay the huge electric bills we pay. wow. hate and misery is alive and well in my town.

When the power goes out the big deal here is, do we or do we not pull out the generator and run it. While it's sort of an easy thing to do we wait it out as long as possible. I bet Laura Ingalls just lived with the elements and had no complaints, look at how far things have come.

We watched a show about The Chosen yesterday. It was Generation Z'ers (my granddaughters' generation) watching The Chosen and their responses. Interesting that their views were pretty much the same as mine. They are working on the next season, and I am excited about seeing it

Maryz, I think we should wait until Maryq is done at KC's then happen to stop by her house and see what fabric she has. The thrift store I went to, Hinds Hospice, had quite a bit of fabric and I got some and left some. It was a good day.

Lyn, I'm with Maddox, to the person who inserted the needle, off with her head. So thankful he is ok.

Judi, the house next door to us has been empty for more than 2 decades and the kids that went to school with Marilyn always said it was haunted.

Jana, glad the altered clothes worked and thrilled you have all your kids close to you, I agree, it's good to be you.

My today will be getting the July lotto blocks in the mail then playing in my sewing room. And if Jerry would finish up in the kitchen I would have myself some breakfast. Oops, there he is, off I go.

You all have a fun day, "do something fun" and "keep those bobbins full". Guess which two people I stole those quotes from?

Oh, and a question. If you are taking charms of whatever size and making a scrap quilt do you sew together a long row of charms then sew the rows together or do you make maybe a bunch of 9 patches or 16 patches and sew those blocks together? I have both 5 inch and 2 1/2 inch charms.

Chriss
Exodus 33:14

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:19 am

Chriss, I do both. I had 3/12 in squares that I made blocks with then sewed them together. 5 1/2 inch squares I sew rows.
I guess it depends on the size of the square. Too bad people are so hateful. It consumes them and they miss out on the beauty of things. I grew up with out A/C. We didn't even put it in our house until about12 years ago. It's amazing we survived. 😂
Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”