Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

tuesday june 28th

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

tuesday june 28th

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:35 am

Good morning a little cloudy but warm here. I did yard work yesterday and thinking of doing more today...I lit the burn pile and got half of it burned it is mostly scrap wood from the basement there is more but i was tired of sitting out there, and needed to get a shower. I fell into bed early last night. We have no basement steps now just a ladder there...Ken had to redo a lot of structure as always happened when you take apart a 100 year old house. The previous guy didnt know what he was doing according to Ken...Stairs will go in today...
If I dont get yard work today I will sew on the hexi quilt. But right now I need to comb my hairs and get some coffee...make the bed and get my day started...hope your day starts well too XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

QuiltGram8

Re: tuesday june 28th

Post by QuiltGram8 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:06 am

Good morning, Judi and the rest of the gang. We are having a cool spell for one more day, then the heat returns.
Scary to have no steps. Be sure no one falls!!! Yikes! My sister fell down a basement opening years back when her daughter and Son-in-law we're building a new home 🏡. Now that she has reached her middle 80's, she is having major hip and back pain from arthritis! She was blessed to not loose her life in the fall. It could have been so much worst, but I hate to see her suffer this pain now as she ages.
This is grocery day here, so I need to get my coffee and get going.
Have a great day!
HUGS, đź’• Vel

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:41 am

Good morning Judi and all that follow
Judi do be careful I remember my mom falling off a porch that had no stairs(they were being replaced) Cracked her elbow. So remember they are not there. We do not need a broken Quilt-her.
Velda Good luck finding things at grocery store. It seems around here its touch and go if they have what you need.
I have a question not quilting related. Can you store piurchased potatoes(from grocery store) ?

Well the new mystery quilt started this morning No sewing for smaller version. Good thing because I started my quilt as you go Halloween table runner. All fabric is glow in dark.
Today need to trim more Forsythia bushes. I did ones out back yesterday along with hoeing my small veggie garden. I work about 2 hours then come in and do house cleaning for an hour . Then I am free to sew.
Maryz There are no numbers on the Bingo fabric cards. They call out yellow then a type. Like Yellow stripe. Thats why its going to take doing this until midnight LOL First row is yellow and orange. second red Third has black middle is purple and pink. fourth row is green last row is blue. Just how many types of fabric are there anyway. I got one done need to finish at least one more .
Well ladies I need coffee before heading out . Need to be out there by 7:30
You all have a great sewing day
Katy

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:14 am

Morning
Git a little yard work done yesterday and will get back out there today. Doing it in small spurts. Heat is really getting to me. Joe blames it on age, I don't like that...I am not getting old. I blame all things on chemo.

Have a sew great day.
Flo

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:45 am

Good morning everyone! Hope everyone slept well.

Maryq we have birds frequently in the tree out the front window but have rarely found a nest. Maybe I need a fake tree! I need to get out and look though as there were a couple of birds the other day spending lots of time together. You never know. Where is this “Crackleberry Farm” picture?

Bev I will have to look that author up. Always looking for some thing new to read.

Chriss I would not want to have your extra 15*! 56 now but going to the mid 80’s. This is the last day and then back into the 70s. I so do not tolerate heat. Can you post a link to that block. I am going to try one. Just to see. Will be looking in the mail as a few people of mailed. Wonder what the post person thinks with all these packages? Everything OK with Jerry?

Lois finding a good quilter can be a task. If I had the space I would set up my own frame, etc and learn to use it. House is just too small.

Flo you may be right. Many people to have long term side effects if that is what you want to call them from Chemo. My sister used to tell me about her Chemo brain.

Katy what mystery are you doing? There are so many anymore. I used to try and keep up. I have several patterns downloaded but will likely never get to them.

Vel I may need to come visit since you have cool.

Judi no basement steps, be careful. Maybe should block it off somehow so no disasters happen.

Today I test again, not sure why I need to do it daily but okay. Will be in my sewing room most of the rest of the day to finish up my calendar blocks. Guess I best get started putting names on tickets for June lotto. Somebody needs to win!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:54 am

Good morning!

We are flrting with over 100, again today. Didn't even notice that we were at that yesterday. I was in the Batt Cave. I fixed my threads - I have a spool holder down at my LA for all my King Tut LA thread, two near my sewing machine for general sewing and hung my new thread holder for my Sulky rayon embroidery threads. I can now see what I have and what is needed. Boy, I have lots of thread! Heck, I have a bunch of fabric too. But, always could use more! :)

Need a milk run to Costco and then work on Daniel's room. We cleared some space down in the basement yesterday for the stuff needing to come down. I also made space for Kari to have a work station for her job, at the end of my desk area. There is about 12 feet of counter where my desk is, so plenty of space to share.

Aaron and Kate had to re-arrange their trip to Florida. A test Kate will take to become a full fledged fire fighter was scheduled in the middle of their trip. At one time, she was flying back and forth, leaving Aaron and the girls in Florida. Dumb idea, so we finally convinced them to change the whole trip to a different week. Done! They are surprising the girls with 2 days in Disney World. Not telling them until they drive into the park. The fire department really wants to have Kate full time, full fire trained. She is good at what she does.

I pulled another bench pillow kit out and read the directions yesterday. Another new learning curve with my embroidery. I have done just blocks that fit in my hoops, now this new method involves sewing part, them moving a long piece of fabric down into its spot. Lots of measurements. I guess a play on words from This Old House, they say, measure twice, cut once, in my new sewing method, measure twice , sew once - with hopefully no frogging!

Hugs,
Jana

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:00 am

Katy: are you asking about storing potatoes purchased at grocery store? I only buy 5# at a time, because I don't get them used up fast enough and they start sprouting. I think a person could keep them in frig, but I never acty googled the details on that. They have to be in a cool, dry, dark space. When we had a basement, I kept them in my basement pantry.
Vel
HUGS, đź’• Vel

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:12 am

Good morning,

JUDI - I bet you slept well after all that activity! Did anyone join you fireside last night? It will be great to get those new stairs in. Then painting, then floors, then done?

KATY - 2 hours is about all I put in on yard-working days, too. I used to work a full 8, but no more. My back objects, too. Your bingo cards sound really cute! Did your group come up with this all by yourselves or did you run across a pattern somewhere? I've seen Parchesi and checker boards in fabric . . . Potatoes do keep if you store them in a cool dry place. I buy them at Costco in winter and we store them in the garage. I keep a few in the hanging basket in the kitchen for immediate use. But in summer, I buy fewer because they don't keep as well in heat. Like tomatoes, they should never be stored in the fridge. One option is to precook them and then freeze them - twice baked potatoes, hashbrowns, mashed potatoes. But they should be cooked prior to freezing.

LOIS - I'm happy you found a quilter for your DWR. That is a special quilt and needs special treatment.

FLO - I, too, only put in a few hours at a time in the yard. I'm going to have to blame my slow-down on age, I guess.

JANA- Glad Kate and Aaron have their schedule all worked out. How fun for the girls to go to Disney World! Too bad they won't know about it a little ahead of time though. Anticipation is half the fun.

CHRISS - sorry about your heat but I'm glad you have AC. I feel for the poor folks who have to work outside. I think a house generator might be a good idea. With your heat and climate change I expect you will be having more rolling brown-outs in Cali this year. I remember Becca and her DH put one in their house about 3 yrs ago and its come in very handy several times. I have to ask - if your dishwasher doesn't work, and you don't intend to repair or replace it, why are you giving it space in your kitchen? I'd get Jerry to remove it and build a cabinet in there. But please don't tell him it was my idea. You may take all the blame -er, I mean credit - for that idea! And speaking of the man himself, why is he having an MRI? Just routine for him or is he having another problem?

BEV - 25 cubes will be fun to organize. I love organizing! Glad I was able to give you a new author - Mary Daheim. Her B&B series is a spoof on herself and her real life cousin, both of whom I met years ago. In her books, they go to Moonbeams for coffee (Starbucks), and Gutbusters (Costco) to shop. And PNW residents will recognize other well-known places, loosely disguised. It's fun! But I prefer her Alpine series, which is based on a real town that no longer exists. In the 1920's the author's family lived there. Daheim has brought it back to life and peopled it with likeable and not so likable characters. I've got several Leeann Sweeney books in my 'library'. And if you ever run across any Anne George books, they are also great, and kind of eye rolling funny. And J.A. Jance is one of the best and most prolific authors of all time. Her books are hard to put down. She writes 4 different series. And Miranda James writes a nice library-themed series. These are all mysteries, all clean, and all a good read.

MARY Q - yes, we went with Bosch. Everyone we know who has one loves theirs. I'm hoping we do, too.
And I did mention the July 11 install date for your new d/w to Bill. And he's so sorry but we are having out of state friends visiting that week so he can't make it. Now if it were the Twelfth of Never, he's available! Sweet that you have a bird's nest in your porch trees! We had one once in our silk wreath on the front door. I left the nest in it and put it out every summer.

VAL - I hope you and Dad are starting to turn a corner. A good corner!! How is your DH doing? Glad you have the RV for A/C backup. Sorry that outdoor wedding happened in near 100* heat. Even though August is generally our warmest month, it's not usually THAT hot. And when it is, it's only for a couple days. You must have hit the jackpot!

LYN - It sounds like you are mentally and emotionally starting to divest yourself of your Estes house. How big is it? And by all means - take your bear collection! It will be unique in your Texas house. My cat collection would go with me if I moved. How is Garry doing?

What did I do yesterday? I can't remember . . . Oh! I wrapped a few more CHristmas presents, sewed a few little 4" stars (30's fabric on WOW) and cut out a few more for my Star Bright project, and I even read and napped a little. The heat drained my energy but today it will only go to 65* and I'm feeling much more energized! We have a Boondocker from Florida that arrived yesterday. Two women in a small tricked out van, traveling with 3 dogs and 2 cats. That must be some trip, and I'm grateful it's not me on that trip! Today I hope to finish up my Christmas stuff, and then cut/sew some more little stars. I only have 92 of 225 left to make. This is a travel project I usually take in the trailer. If we go south this winter, I'm going to have to figure out more sewing! Between 2 days of working on the young Boondocker's trailer brakes and then still working on our own trailer - and afternoon heat pouring into the quilting room, my Irish Chain is still sitting, untouched. Bill has been busy. When he finishes the brake connector job, I'm hoping he'll circle back to it. No rush, but I hate things being left un-finished for long.

Got to go - now that it's light earlier and school traffic is off the roads, my walking buddy, Lori, and I are walking earlier. Make it a good one!

mary z
>^+^<

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:28 am

After living in Idaho, went to college there. I learned a few things about potatoes. What we buy in the store now, is last year's harvest. Potatoes are dug in September or so. So the potatoes have already been stored for awhile. They do need very cool, not refrigerated storage and dark.

Now, with that said, Sarah has canned potatoes for storage. I believe that you have to pressure can them. There are very specific rules on canning that have to be followed for food safety. The ways our moms did canning don't work today. Manufacturers have changed the seal material and it complicates processing now. There are also machines that freeze dry food that you can do to preserve food. They are quite expensive.

So, I only buy a small bag of potatoes, or keep some dehydrated potatoes, hashbrowns, flakes for mashed, for long term storage.

My 2 cents worth,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:30 am

Good Cool Morning!

About 0500 I heard rain outside my window... so nice that it's cooled things down and we did need the rain!! For about 2 seconds I thought I might stay up... then I thought NO WAY IN ****! :lol: :lol: Went back to bed for a few more zzzzzz's and now I'm up!

Judi...Holy Moly! NO STEPS? do you have any neon tape or that "crime" tape to put at the top to warn you! Does your old house have that extra exit from that basement that goes outside, like in Wizard of Oz. The house that we lived in in 1973 had that... I thought it was kind of cool. The walls of the basement were big stones!

Velda... Sure hope you can find everything on your list at the grocery store! For some reason there is a shortage of shell and ring noodles! I'd be curious is your store has them. I've been to 4 places and there are not to be found!

Katy.....Did you grow potatoes this year? I wonder if they could be stored in gunny sacks in a cool dark place... if that would work. I only buy 3 or 4 at time because a whole bag would go icky before I'd ever finish them.

Flo.... I'm with you... blame it on Chemo! As my friend says... "we're not old, we're vintage"

Valerie... The Cackleberry picture is over PHOTO's but it's a little ways down, keep scrolling. Do you have to test every day until you get a Negative answer? I don't suppose you've been out visiting patients for a while have you. How is Dad doing?

Jana.... Isn't it just so fun to look at all those pretty colors of thread! I admit I went a little crazy with embroidery thread when I got my machine, but I haven't even played with it much. Does your LA prefer King Tut. When Viv does my quilts she uses all Glide thread and I have to say, I'm a pretty big fan of Glide. Never have any tension problems when I quilt on my little machine.

Maryz... All I want in a dishwasher is QUIET! Not to worry... Tom and Viv are coming up for Brennen's birthday on the 18th of July and Viv already volunteered Tom to help me install everything. He worked for the gas company here for over 40 years as a HVAC and appliance technician. If I could sit still long enough to read I might look up some of those authors, or maybe I should check out audio books... which will likely be on my "one of these days" list.

Chriss.... Did I miss something? Jerry is having an MRI? What's up with that?

Not sure what the POTD is here.. probably to finish yesterday's POTD. Laundry day too. This afternoon the townhouse assn is having a summer get together at a local restaurant so I'll go to that for a while. The gal that bought my chicken quilt will come and pick it up sometime this afternoon.

For now the coffee is cold and I need to crank up the music and move my body!

Have a Terrific Tuesday

Return to “Sew ins”