Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday June 23rd 2022

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Thursday June 23rd 2022

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:34 am

Good morning beautiful sunny day here 80s so a bit cooler. I may get some yard work done but Mr Maytag is very lonely and wants my company. So that is where ill be this morning,
I have been working on the SG blocks and have the 2 monthly blocks almost done...justt need to sew down the applique and put on a border,,,the embellishments will take a bit of time. this block has candlewicking and couching.
I need coffee to fuel all this excitement around here ( yawn!) Hope your day is what you want it to be,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSuzette where are you?

velvet

Re: Thursday June 23rd 2022

Post by velvet » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:19 am

Good morning to everyone.
We're packing up today for the week in VA. Joe and Fran will be here at 9 tomorrow and we'll head out. Should take about 6 to 7 hours. We are taking 2 cars because Joe wants to stop at some antique shops on the way back home. They really are enjoying Fran being retired and the new house is the cherry on the top. Dawn and family will leave by 1 p.m. Fri-hopefully they will get there around 9-10. Fingers are crossed for good travelling weather for all of us.

Maryq--let me know when you get the package.

Off to pack.
Diane

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:34 am

Good morning,

SHERRY - I'm pleased you liked the J movie. I didn't realize there were so many. I thought this new one was only the second. Sorry your theater is closing. It's sad to see so many businesses shutting their doors permanently because of internet.

DIANE - happy travels to you! Enjoy your vacation!

JUDI - Did you find an outfit in your closet to wear to the shower or will you be forced to go shopping for new clothes? After losing more than 30# you have earned a new outfit! Will you be joining me in the yard today? No laundry for me today. Got caught up a couple days ago. Do you ever hang your clothes?

KATHY - I can't believe you still haven't found anyone to mow your grass. All summer long we get several yard maintenance business cards in little zip bags, weighted with a rock, tossed into our driveway. I hope someone will show up soon. Do you have a lawnmower? You may have to buy one in fall sales and do it yourself. I HATE mowing lawns. Not sure I could even get a mower started any more. I've heard of mowers that are like robot vacuums. You set it loose and let it do its thing.

MARY Q - Wow! You watched all that unfold across the street from you? It's a scary time. I'm happy no one but the 'guy' was hurt, And how did your dental appt go? I thought about you! I"m happy to hear you're going to talk to KC about her quilts. Maybe she doesn't realize how bad she is and will be happy to learn a few things. Maybe her machine needs a good servicing.

KATY - I've been thinking about you, wondering if you were gardening, cleaning, or sewing. I hope Jim is OK. What a bummer about the credit card being hacked. This has happened to so many of us this past month. Both Bill and I had our cards compromised, too. Also, a few friends in our real life. Fortunately, our main card - Costco Visa - alerts us immediately when a charge is made. Even as we're still standing at the check stand! As for your challenge piece, why not do both - a narrow black inner border and then a wider border in fabric that coordinates with the rest of the project. A bingo card made in fabric sounds kind of fun. How big is it? And are you putting numbers on each space? Are you making just one?

JANA - You got a bonus block! Hooray for you! :D This project is going to be so pretty. It's the Main Street bench pillow by Kimberbell, right?

VAL - sorry to hear you've had bad luck with those government tests. Were they out of date? We just got some in the mail and they will expire in 6-8 weeks! We have a friend who has had all the symptoms but tested NEG several times. I bet she really was POS but didn't get a PCR test.

LORI - this is definitely not the year to have your AC go out! I hope you were able to get it all taken care of. You are probably correct about small businesses like your salon suffering because with such high prices on everything, people are having to prioritize where they spend their dollars.

CHRISS - I hope your storms don't spark fires! As a driver, I hate when people ride their bikes on roads like you describe - no shoulder. I'm so afraid I'm going to hit someone. We have a similar road here and I often see people pushing baby strollers!! I'm with you - take yourself someplace safe and walk. We have tons of walking places here and I can reach them all walking from my house.

VELDA - do you wear a helmet when you ride your bike? I was riding in circles in a parking lot and that's the only time I crashed and burned! lol! Eventually, we donated our bikes to charity. I'm a walker - every day - about 1-1/2 miles. But every now and then I kind of wish I had my bike back. As for nail polish, I have no problem when I use Sally Hansen products, but I've had salon pedi's that have left my nails in sad shape once the polish is removed. I always have my fingernails polished with cloudy clear polish and I do them about every 10 days. Also, my doctor recommended a product called Nail Tek and I use that as a base coat or by itself.

Yesterday we woke up to cool drizzle. The afternoon cleared but it never got past 64*. But we're quickly warming up and may even hit 90* this weekend! Our Boondockers are still here. They both booked for their limit of 3 nights, and were both looking for places to spend 2 more nights in this area. So we are letting them stay through Sat when new Boondocker guests arrive. The young couple spent the day in Seattle but the single lady, "Cindy", (in her mid 60's) was here, joined us on the deck for happy hour, and bought pizzas for us all for supper. What a nice treat! Tonite friends we haven't seen in quite a while are stopping by. So it will be a campfire party again. And my plan was to make homemade pizza to eat around the fire. So I'm not sure if I'll make the pizza now that we just had some or maybe do hotdogs, beans, and coleslaw instead.

Bill has my Irish Chain about 1/4 quilted. It's turning out so nice! My binding is ready to go. I've been spending an hour or two in my sewing room every day, just goofing off - no real project underway right now. I'm organizing, rearranging, cleaning. Today - maybe finish up the last of the yard work. Then I'll be done for a month when I'll do it all again. We're making a quick run to Costco and grocery store this afternoon for some fresh stuff. We invited Cindy to go with since she has no vehicle but her small motorhome and an e-bike and is sitting in one place longer than she'd had anticipated. A bike is no vehicle to take to Costco! lol!

I hope we all are able to get thread on us today. People don't recognize me without bits of thread on my clothing!

Mary z
>^+^<

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:36 am

Good morning Everyone,

It looks like the sun is making an appearance so I guess it will be sorta nice out.
I already cleaned kitchen and bathroom and sheets will be out in a few.
Yesterday I made a quilted cosmetic bag just for fun along with 2 quilted boxes.
So today I will find another small project to do.
Judi I might have 1 more load of wash to do.
Diane have a great Vacation with your family.

Well that it for the news here.
I hope you all have a great day.
Lois

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:11 am

Morning
Judi I don't remember what candle wicking is. May need to look it up.
DDIL and grands stayed here a few days whole Joe on road. It was nice to have time with them.
Today & through Saturday heat & humidity going g to be very high. Sunday supposed to have a break for a few days.
Nothing else going on.
Flo

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:04 am

Good morning, the one good think about Covid, I have more time to come here and read all your happenings! I have also discovered that Covid affects your ability to think. Found myself standing in the kitchen this morning trying to figure out a cup of coffee.

Won't go into boring details but Dr, has decided not to start me on Antivirals. I will rear my ugly head and fight this on my own, Then I will change drs. I used to have a good relationship with this dr. but this is the 2nd time he has let me down so time to change. I have known him for 20 or so years working in the nursing homes and he has always been friendly and pleasant. Yesterday, cold as ice, I am no longer Valerie but Mrs. Paynter, really? So I have the name of a female dr here in Vallejo that I will try. My best friends mother uses her and really likes her.

Wanted to sew today but I think I really just need to take my book to the RV, and try to get some sleep. DH will have to wash all the bed linens today if he tests negative.

Dad's temp is finally down to normal. The nurse came yesterday and said he is still wheezing but she can hear air flow all the way down so that is good. He is eating better but not quite his normal yet. Still pushing fluids. Blood sugars are doing okay. I need to get some reliable tests to retest him this weekend. Well here come the sneezes back so guess I will round up my kleenex and be on my way. Have a great day everyone.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:25 am

Good morning!

Beautiful day starting out here. By this afternoon the monsoonal moisture clouds up the sky, but so far no rain. So we wait. I guess I need to learn a few rain dances, LOL!

All the blocks are embroidered and now I will learn how to square them up. Yes, I do know how to square a block, but these suggest using Kimberbell's Orange Pop rulers. I have them, so will get the instructions read, and re read and get them done. I had fun with one block particularly. It's all teals and purples. Sarah's favorites, so it will be referred to as Sarah's house. Her real house is in those colors inside and the outside is grays, white, and a eggplant purple front door.

Ethan will be here most of the day. Sarah's company, her BIL, arrived late last night on the train. Matt and Crenda flew to Disneyland and on Saturday I am taking food down to the older three boys, who are at home, alone. A friend of the family is staying the nights, all but Saturday, but Matt and Crenda will be home early Sunday morning. We are all just a phone call away. About 10 minutes to Matt's house. Aaron is the closest and even has a full decked out police car, albeit, it's a unmarked undercover vehicle. Still has lights and sirens! LOL! The youngest two are at their aunts house.

It took over two years, but Michael finally got his new cellphone yesterday. He has moved into the smart age! It is a smart phone and I am sure Ethan can show Grandpa how to use it! Michael, being the ever engineer, researched forever to get the one he wanted. You see, there's a huge criteria , it has to fit in his shrt pocket. Michael is a class one nerd, and carries a small black notebook and a pencil in his shirt pocket and will not, repeat will not wear a shirt without a pocket! I have dealt with this our entire married life, so when I make or buy him shirts, the first thing I check, is there a pocket. So finally he found a cellphone that fits in his pocket and has a stylus to be able to write notes on the phone. So after 47 years of marriage, no more little black book! LOL!

Well, time to head down and teach this old dog another new trick,
Hugs,
Jana

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:43 am

Howdy from Hays America!
We got here yesterday afternoon with the shiny side up, MaryZ. :lol:
Maddox was ready for hugs when they came to our camp site.

Valerie, I'm sorry y'all are sick. Hope you're well soon.

I'm moving a little slow this morning. Nice to set alarm an hour later.
We're having lunch with friends who live near here. They were are neighbors in Texas for several years until health and Motorhome troubles grounded them.
This afternoon will be Maddox time.
Lyn

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:15 am

Good Morning Girls

A very quiet morning here... the drama of the area is over. Last evening I heard a helicopter very very low overheard and saw it land in the parking lot of the school across the street from me. The stand off between the suspect and officers was over. Apparently the suspect took aim at an officer, who then returned fire. Small world... the helicopter pilot is one of my DIL Kris's best friends. She served overseas in the Army and now flies for a local hospital air rescue. At the time the local news said he was alive.

Judi... Mr. Maytag can have you today... I'm done with him! Actually I'm in the market for a new washer/dryer as the ones I have just aren't big enough to wash a large quilt! They are so old and noisy I think they could wake the dead. OH gosh... candle wicking? I remember doing that a long long time ago.

Diane.... Will send a little message to my friend St. Christopher (even tho he may not be a saint anymore) he's my go-to guy for travelers! I will watch for the package and let you know when it hits my mail box. I have "informed" deliver from the PO so I get an e-mail every morning telling me what will be in the mail box!

Maryz... Yes the craziness of the neighborhood is over. Went to the endoDDS and per his recommendation I don't NEED the root canal right now. We're going to revisit in 6 months. Wheewwww~ even tho I was all prepared.. it's nice to put it off for a while ...especially the $$$ part. $400.. just for the consultation! KC got a new machine, so hoping she has better luck with this one. You are brave to go back to Costco... remember what happened last time!

Lois... Sounds like a quiet day in your neighborhood too. Did you send of your DWR to a quilter? Are you going to send your sparrows off too?

Flo... If I remember correctly Candle Wicking is done with a kind of heavier cotton thread.. and it's a lot of french knots. I may have to look it up too and I used to do it quite a bit.. It was popular in the late 70's

Valerie.... Oh my dear, I am so sorry to hear the you got the "bug".... odd that the Dr wouldn't prescribe the Rx for you... especially since he's known you so long and knows that you are a nurse etc etc. With your vaccinations do you think you might have a easier go of it? Good news that Dad's temp is down, and BG is good too... Sugars can get kind of whacky when you're sick right?

Jana.... The other day... somebody asked me if I knew how to text on my phone.... I said "Yes, my 9year old grandson taught me how" A few years ago, when Eli was maybe 6 he taught me how to go to the APP store so I could find a game to download for him to play with. What a world right?

Lyn... Are you going to stay in Hays for a little while... stock up on Grandbaby Hugs?

Might be time to turn on the AC again... it's already 82* and going to be 90 something. The plan is to go help KC again, but she has answered my texts for a couple days so I may have to call her. If we postpone I think I'll venture out for groceries or maybe run to Home Depot and Check out new appliances. With things being "back ordered" so much I'd like to make sure I can get new stuff to arrive by mid July. I'm in the market for new washer/dryer, dishwasher, refridge and stove. Any recommendtions?

And of course, now that I've chatted a bit... I need more coffee!

Keep cool y'all

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:47 am

DH is still +. Back to the drawing board.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Return to “Sew ins”