Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Monday June 20,2022

Daily discussions.
FlorenceM

Monday June 20,2022

Post by FlorenceM » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:53 am

Morning
Maryq, it was a sweaty bake day Saturday. But with a/c and a fan on fridge to circulate air, it was manageable.
Katy, I baked banana bread and oatmeal cranberry cookies.

Yesterday was nice. But, today is a new day. Some yardwork to do and laundry. Still plucking away at quilts.
Flo

purrfect-lady

Re: Monday June 20,2022

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:35 am

Good morning,

FLO - Bill's favorite cookie is oatmeal craisin. I didn't mention to him you made some because it might plant the idea in his head that I should bake some, too. Are you feeling better these days since you saw your new dr?

JUDI - you're a brave lady to tackle the shed and make such important decisions like whether to throw away garbage or not. :lol: But this is the only way our shop gets cleaned - if I get out there and do it. But I let him help. Our men and their stuff - constantly a source of amusement around here! though I will admit, Bill isn't a saver, but the stuff he saves is just stashed here and there until here and there are crammed and the walkways filled. Mostly I just organize and sweep.

VELDA - haha! Sorry. I really thought you meant loom. It brought back a recollection that someone on this forum a few years ago, bought a table top loom and was going to try weaving. So I was thinking it was you because I know you have other skills besides just sewing. Perhaps it was Lyn? The wedding sounds nice. My LDH#1's aunt and uncle had a big beautiful barn, too. The animals were long gone but the parties remained. They also had weddings and my own bridal shower was held there 51 years ago. Barns are warm and homey and such a great place for a wedding. Glad you had a good time. Was there dancing?

VAL - how are your patients today? Glad you tested negative and hope you keep on keepin' on! I attached a seminole border to my pillowcases just like I did to the quilt: I sewed the seminole border to the body of the case, added the cuff. Then I serged the case closed and hemmed the cuff.

MARY Q - it's 98* and you MIGHT turn on your AC?? Girl, I'd have it on at 78*! I'd at least be sitting in a wet tee shirt in front of a fan! Yes, we have a pattern that is meandering shamrocks. I think we'll use that one on the Irish Chain. Cindy told me, when I was texting her last week, that her sister, Diane, would stay with her a few days, then her DD for a few days, and if she still needed help, Sue would come.

JANA - how did your big family party go? Were you all able to make Michael smile? And what is your new calling? Or was it something else he said??

LYN - I loved hearing about your cousins. No slackers in your family! They all sound so nice. I LOVE the Tennessee Waltz. I taught myself to play piano when I was 9 and that was the first song I actually played. Maybe because it has such a strong tempo, it was easier than other pieces. I bet it sounded lovely on the mandolin.

CHRISS - are you out there this morning? What did you do this weekend?

Yesterday morning I pulled out my May lotto blocks and put them together in between 4 loads of laundry. I thought they made a really pretty top. I added a border of random 4" squares from my scrap stash. I posted a photo if you'd like to see. Then I worked in the yard through the afternoon. Right now, I'm between projects, the weather is good, and the yard is bad, so guess where I'll be today. Our boondocker stayed an extra night so she could "do" Seattle and Pike Place Market. We have another one coming in tonite. I figured it would be a busy summer for boondockers. RV park prices have skyrocketed just like everything else. And we don't charge. But we do have a limit of 3 nights. But depending on the campers, we can be flexible. So far, this has been a really fun endeavor. Plus, now, if we ever get to take our long awaited trip east, we'll be the campers in other BD hosts' yards and we'll know the ropes. One of our reservations coming up this summer is a quilter. Can't wait to meet her!

Have a great Monday! A brand new week! Lucky us!

mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:42 am

Good morning It rained through the night and threatens to rain today...no yard work...after 3 days I needed a break/ So today the house dust and I will do a few rounds. I need to run to the grocery store, return a bunch of returnables,pick up my prescrptions and stop at the credit union. The I need to decide on supper then will work on a couple of Stitchers garden blocks...( some months have 2 blocks) another busy day in paradise....Hope your day is filled with fun.. Basement ceiling is being trimmed,,,then for the paint.
Flo I to will bake in the summer with the A/c on...I dont do much baking ( and i sure do miss it) with being on a diet and Ken being diabetic..he loves sweets so we limit whats in the house...
well hope your day is as planned,,,but we all know how that goes...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Just got reminded no bank or mail today cause of some weird holiday,,,,,,,so 2 things have been scratched off my list....WooHoo more sewing time

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:52 am

Maryz, I am feeling good, but time will tell...

Flo

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:09 am

Hope everyone has an UP Day!

MaryQ, Michelle is in Oak Grove? That's the next town east of us. Would you like me to take her some flowers? I know these past few months have been tough for her. I

MaryZ, you are talented, teaching yourself piano!!

Flo, hope all is well with your health.

Valerie, hope you are staying healthy and those who are ill, aren't super ill. In case MaryQ missed your question, Mary has been helping a lady, KC, who has made quilt tops but from the sounds of it, not very well made.

Only 2 more days here, then we head to Colorado, with a stop in Hays to see DD2 and family, but only for one day. She's working and we've got to get to Colorado.
Lyn
Last edited by WeeOne on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:11 am

Good morning!

Yes, the Bishop changed up all our callings we did in the Ward. We had done the Sunday bulletin for more than 10 years and they also released me from the music calling and teaching Relief Society. They gave us a new calling. We will be teaching, together, and leading a class on self reliance. There are six parts that the church has emphasized that we will teach.. So we have a bit of discussion points to help in these times that are causing such trouble for families. We will have a small group of parents in our class. When callings are given, or changed, it's by inspiration from the Lord to our Bishop. So, if we said no, I don't want to do this particular one, it's really saying no to the Lord, which isn't a good idea! So we serve, learn and gladly do as we are asked.

Dinner was fun last night. I had grands in my kitchen cooking and helping me get dinner together. They helped assemble the sliders and then we got them in the oven to bake. We made four different kinds of sliders, roast beef, turkey, ham and corned beef, all with cheese. Kate and Aaron missed dinner time, but came just after we were done, as they were hungry as they drove home from St George. Dessert was strawberry shortcake. Lila always gets Michael to smile!

Aaron has duty late most of this week. Kate too. It's Herriman town days celebration with parades, another rodeo, concerts and fireworks on Saturday night. The fireworks are launched less than a mile, as the crow flies, from my house. So we sit out on our deck and watch from here. This starts the worry season, as 4th of July fireworks starts up as well. And we are so tinder dry, that fires will too. Good thing I have my own personal firefighters in this family! Daniel will be here. And EMTs - Kate and police - Aaron. We're set! LOL! We are in a no launch zone, but there are a few who think rules don't apply. Our house backs next to agricultural land, so you can't launch fireworks, but less than a block away , you can. And those rocket red glares don't know boundaries!

Sarah and I are heading to Hobby Lobby today, so I can get the piece I need for my Main Street project. Then I'll work and get it done. Then just two left to make and then assembly.

Our weather went nuts yesterday with severe thunderstorm warnings, wind and we got cold. Today is more of same. We need and want the rain, just not the lightning that could cause a fire. Not being too picky - :)

Hugs,
Jana

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:18 am

Good morning! Yes Juneteenth! New federal holiday. I first learn of this date when in Texas. Has been celebrated in southern states, but I was not familiar with it. Celebrates the end of slavery (emancipation proclamation) .
This is the first year of federal holiday.
Wedding was great on Saturday and nice to be with our youngest son on Father's Day. DH got text and phone calls from the others.
Today I am catchy up on laundry. Hummingbirds had to have fresh nectar when we got home yesterday. Boy, we were surprised that they almost emptied the feeders!
Watered all my plants, too. We had such a nice rain before we left on Friday, but the flowers were begging for water too.
That's about all I know today.
More coffee coming up!!
HUGS, 💕 Vel

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:20 am

FLO, glad you're feeling fine now and I hope it continues.

JUDI - after several days of yard work, I pray for rain so I can rest! I bet today is "Juneteenth", which I think is celebrating end of slavery. It's a new holiday. Though don't you think a better name could have been found? Like "Freedom Day" or something similar? It's also National American Eagle Day. Having just spent 4 months watching the Pittsburgh Hays Eagle cam while 3 baby eagles hatched, grew up, and fledged, it has a greater meaning to me now.

KATHY - I hope you stop by! Did you get your lawn mowed?

JANA - I hope your Herriman Days celebrations are happy and safe! I hope you enjoy your new callings. I used to co-teach CCD classes at our church when my kids were younger. I also served coffee and doughnuts after Mass, and then helped out in the snack bar at Bingo one night a month. We're a fun church! I wouldn't term my small contributions as "callings" but I enjoyed it all at the time.

mz

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:06 am

Good morning. It's going to warm up today but still a gorgeous day.

My weekend was quick. Fathers day with the parents at the Elks for breakfast. Then they went up to town thinking they were going to an event that was actually Saturday so they stopped here for a visit. Jerry had an MRI on his head and neck on Sunday as well, yes Sunday.

I also tried embroidering the eyes on my stinking bunnies. I may have to go with buttons. Not really sure. I'll attempt them again today

Saturday was a lot of misc. stuff around the house but nothing feels like it's been accomplished.

This morning will be the morning walk, then playing in my room. Tuesday, I take dad to the eye doctor and he will take me to lunch. win, win. I can see myself needing to take more time with my parents, guess dad won't live forever like I had hoped. Stepmom is slowing down even more, her rememberer isn't functioning as well as it used to. Of the 5 kids I am the closest and honored to be the helper. They are still doing well but need a little extra help.

Well, guess if I am going walking I had best get dressed. Hope you girls have a super day.
Chriss
Exodus 33:14

maryq

Post by maryq » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:15 am

Good Morning Girls

OH MY GOODNESS!! It's 0945 here and it's already 92* outside! Man I wish I could stay in all day, but alas, the DDS has called to remind me I have an appointment this afternoon!

Flo.... For Oatmeal craisin cookies, I just might sweat a little too... so worth it in the long run! Probably a double or triple batch with some to throw in the freezer for later!! Generally I prefer oatmeal chocolate chip, have never made with craisins, but hey I'm willing to try it!

Maryz.... Good to know that Cindy has help close by and that Sue would come in a pinch. Am hoping for her sake that she has little to no pain and will be able to get back to quilting soon and get back to us of course too! How fun to have folks from all over the world park in your yard! Bet you can't wait to meet the quilter!

Judi... No Mail??? Oh darn, no junk mail for me today! That's about all I get in the mail these days. Guess I didn't realize Juneteenth is Legal Holiday. I know UPS is working though, as a package is on it's way to me. :-)

Lyn... It will be an UP day for me as soon as I get back from the DDS! How sweet of you to offer to take something to Michele for me! Sounds like you are getting ready to hit the road back to CO so your time in MO is short! It has been really rough for her as she had to leave her Dad with some mild dementia and her sister who is special needs. Her other siblings aren't much help either!

Jana.... Sounds like you have a big project ahead of you. Interesting subject, self reliance... and a good one.

Velda.. I've heard of Juneteeth for years, but didn't realize it was now a national holiday. I guess it's a good thing and the Emancipation Proclamation should be celebrated I guess. I missed that you were at a wedding over the weekend.. but nice to see your son!

Chriss.... Years ago, 2009, was my Mom's last summer and she couldn't be alone over night, I'd spend my weekend with her... take my little sewing machine along, sew a little and talk with her and have her tell me stories of her life etc. At the time I thought of all the things I could be doing at home (I still worked full time then) But after she passed... and to this day, I cherish that time with her and so wish I could have it back again. You will not regret one minute of the time with your Dad. And the way I look it... perhaps God "retired" you from your job so that you could there for Dad and step Mom. Cherish every minute

Valerie... In case you stop by... did you have a COVID scare? So far your are testing negative?
Here's the mini-story on KC quilts. A gal posted on Facebook that she needed help sorting and getting rid of fabric... so I offered to help. Turns out she had 7 or 8 tops that she needed done so my big mouth opened up and said "I could probably do some small ones for you" Not knowing what a disaster they are.. .Lots of puckers, lots of uneven seems, lots of bubbles, and quite a few seams sewn with the tension off, so that the bottom side is all loopy! I feel good about helping, but no good deed goes unpunished!

So yesterday, between Shawn coming to do some heavy lifting and a quick visit with my Sister, I actually did some of my OWN sewing.. Worked on my Calendar blocks and have them almost done. Might do a little more on them today. Shawn installed one of the nice bright lights in my sewing room for me so it lights up like crazy in there now!

For now I need more coffee and a shower!
Keep Cool Y'all!

Return to “Sew ins”