Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tuesday June 14th

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Tuesday June 14th

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:09 am

Good Morning...81 today we had thunderstorms half the night. but I slept through most of them. we will get into the 90s tomorrow.
I did get into the sewing room and put the border on the sew along quilt it is now ready to be quilted. I will need to get some batting for it...I have everything else. Since Im not in the quilting mood I will work on maybe another table runner,,,or some quilt as you go placemats...but first I have an errand to run...I must go to HD or lowes or somewhere ( omg without Ken) to pick out a new counter top for my kitchen...It was not expensive to begin with and I made a few mistakes picking it out....so now I need to made a decision. It developed a crack..(solid surface) and is not under warranty or fixable.since the guy who did it has since gone out of business the crack was small and I could live with it...but it spread across the counter top and the seam separated...now we cant live with it...so I will go today and pick out a new counter top.// a hit to the budget but necessary. I have decided on a quartz counter top but so many questions...Hoping there is someone there who can answer all my questions before I order..I spent a good deal of time on the internet and did get a lot of my questions answered there. My daughter bought quartz and she loves it...After spending a week at her house I liked it too...
So that is the plan for today...
Chrissy1 came through the surgery fine and is home doing well.. her daughter kept me up dated.. Well I need to get moving hope your day goes good and you stay cool XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Re: Tuesday June 14th

Post by fabricgirl » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:26 am

Good morning Judi and Everyone

Today its spritzing out right now and we are at 68⁰ and climbing to 84⁰

I'm still sewing on my sparrow quilt I now have to start putting the rows together.
Then its on to sashing and borders then I have to find backing for it.
Speaking of backing I got an email from keepsake quilting my backing is ready to be sent out to me.

We were supposed to go to the scavenger hunt but will go tomorrow

Well thats all the news here I hope you all have a great day.
Lois

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:10 am

Good morning!

Mother Nature must be dealing with a bit of whiplash here. Sunday, we were at 101 for the high, yesterday, we barely saw 50. Right now, it's 43. At least we got some rain yesterday.

As per the usual around here , not much. Ethan will be down as Sarah is taking her DH for a MRI on his knee. He was working in the backyard , laying conduit for power out to Sarah's she shed, her office and fell in the trench and twisted his knee badly. The orthopedist put him on crutches and decided that he tore the ACL. The MRI will confirm that. Surgery will be needed, just need to get it scheduled. Sarah's DH is a long distance runner and a avid hiker. This is a definite surgery repair. He had been training for a marathon in September, that's out the window now!

My uglies are caught up, so I will play down stairs. Maybe be useful and get something accomplished.

Judi - no help on the quartz, I have granite. A friend, a very long time ago had some of the first solid surface counters and placed her waffle iron on them to heat and that heat proceeded to crack and burn the surface. Hopefully now that they have gotten past that problem. That's my 2 cents. Have fun finding a new one!

Hugs,
Jana

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:25 am

Good Sunny Morning....

Looks like it's going to be a perfect day. I was up, showered & out the door by 9am yesterday. Got the flowers for the porch boxes. Also 1 tomato & 1 basil. Every year I say no more tomatoes, they never grow here for me. But I see those plants & just give in.

I'll be doing some thing around the house & of course planting.

Judi.....thanks for the update on Chrissy1. Sorry about the counter top. I'm sure you'll love your new one. Good luck.

Lois.....Keepsake Quilting has such a nice assortment of backings....have fun.

LOve & prayrs.................Kathy

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:42 am

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

Judi, nothing against HD or Lowe's but if it were me, I'd go to a stone company that specializes in marble and Granite. That's what we did when we were remodeling our kitchen in winter 2003/04. We bought Granite. Ours is called Labrador Antique, it has blue spots in it.
Thank you for Chrissy1 update. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Jana, prayers for your SIL and his knee.

I see the Dr this morning and get test results. Hope it's just aches and pains of old age that I'm having come and go. Mirror is still in place. I guess that JB Weld stuff works. It hit 100 here yesterday and will be hot today, too. Will try and play with fabric this afternoon.
Lyn

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:53 am

Good morning Judi and all that follow
Yes I been missing in action again. My life just seems to be too busy. I am working in large flower garden which has become a jungle. And the weather is not helping Today will get to 97 as well as tomorrow. I worked outside for about 2 hours yesterday. Then came in and sewed on my chicken quilt. Also did some cleaning. Everything seems to get away from me.
I was up at 5 today got my critters fed drank 1 cup of coffee and went out and watered my veggies.
Since I have guild today I washed my hair. I been letting my natural curl take over . Its easier then standing in front of a mirror for 2 hours trying to get it to do something.
I went to Macomb to get my new ruler for the Grid girl mystery quilt that starts the 28 of june. They told me rulers were going up drastically . And I see where Quilt in a day is telling us the same thing today. So if you need any new rulers buy them now.
Kathy My tomatoes so far are doing good. The secret is plenty of water and sun. And a little fertilizer never hurts.
Jana Illinois was like that for a while. Temps jumping all over the place . But now just hot.
Lois I go on scavenger hunt on Friday. But I have my pantry stocked. Here lately just pick up whats on sale.
Judi Have you noticed how much batting has went up to. I wanted some to practice my quilting. I guess I will have to break down and buy some before it breaks the bank.
Well ladies Once again I need to run and water plants on deck . I do have about 40 to 50 hummingbirds in and eating. Good thing I stockpiled there suger. LOL
You all have a great sewing day
Katy

MuseAndSew

Post by MuseAndSew » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:19 am

Cooler day today, which is nice. Mostly work for me today at my job. If I’m lucky I might get a few blocks ready for appliqué. I only have 3 left to do & then sew.

Judy I agree batting & fabric and everything for that matter have gone up in price. I’ll 2nd that granite countertops are fantastic.

Jana I so sorry to hear about your SIL. Ouch. I hope he’ll heal quit.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:30 am

Morning
Judi when Joe finishes cabinets, we will prob go with granite. I want ceramic tile, but it's out of style...but we are about a yr from that point there's hope....
I have tomatoes on my plants...yay!
Very hot & humid here...
Flo

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:32 am

Good Morning All

Ok, I had to do it... Had to break down and turn on the AC! It's 0900 here and already 80* outside... headed to 96* There's a nice breeze outside, but it's so hot and damp in the house! As I look at the weather app on my phone... we're in for a hot stretch 101* next Monday!

Judi.... My 2 cents... definitely go with quartz! It's practically indestructible! With granite you have to treat it every so often, but not quartz and there are a lot more color choices available in quartz because it's more "man made" I loved mine in the old house and would love to do here, but... floors first! I'm kind of hoping that when the kids remodel the kitchen I might be able to reuse the quartz counter tops at my house! Hope you find something you LOVE!

Lois... YEAH the backing is on the way. When you get your sparrow quilt done... send me a photo and I'll post it for you! I am anxious to see it!

Jana OUCH!!! Sarah's DH sure sounds like OUCH! I imagine it's pretty cool down in your Batt Cave? Great day to be down there!

Kathy..... When I am up, showered and dressed and out of the house at 9am.. it's a true miracle! And it as to be for something SUPER important! I don't schedule any appointment before 11am! I went and got flowers yesterday too... and was so tempted to get one tomato plant... but I did resist!!!!

Lyn..... Sending a little prayer your way too that your report from the Doctor comes back with an ALL CLEAR. Are you a member of the A & P Club? That's what my Mom called all the old folks she used to have coffee with at her apartment. Because all they talked about was their Aches and Pains. I'm a member, tho I try not to talk about it :lol: :lol:

Katy.... Please tell me you don't go out and sweat in the garden when it's 90* outside!! You silly girl!!! Where do you get batting? I've usually ordered it from Walmart and have had good luck with the 80/20 by Pellon. I was looking at Amazon this morning and they have it on a 40 yard bolt for $53 or so.. for 40 yards... works out to about 5.77/yd . Warm and Natural is my fave but a little more $$$..

Beverly.... SO nice to see you pop in over here... All the smart people show up here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maryz.... I know you are out there somewhere!!!

Yesterday I was able to finish another one of KC's quilts! That's 3 I've done and have maybe 3 or 4 more to do. They are a bit of a challenge --- lot of little things to fix but if I quilt the daylights out of them they look pretty good. Here's the one I did yesterday.

Laundry is started this morning, so I think I'll go grab some more coffee and get another quilt sandwiched and pinned!

Keep COOL

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:44 am

Wow Mary q your quilting is awesome her quilt looks beautiful.

Lois

Return to “Sew ins”