Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday April 30

Daily discussions.
Becca

Saturday April 30

Post by Becca » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:02 am

Good morning everyone sunny here & beautiful
Yesterday was another spinner day Don’t know if you are going or coming This week has been that way very busy
Sharona Hope you had a better night last night Those rough nites are tough

Maryq That is so sweet of you to help another especially if she’s wheel chair bound

Flo I sure hope your son gets it worked out with. The principal No child should have to suffer that way

I hope to keep a slower pace today Strawberries are coming from neighbors 2 galling to freeze but that’s easy
Have a great day everyone & prayers for all in need. Becca

QuiltGram8

Re: Saturday April 30

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:19 am

Hi Becca. Mixed weather going on here. Planning to go garage sale hopping with my neighbor. Hope we don't get too wet. LOL
I did sew a little while yesterday. Don't know what today will bring. Hope we find a treasure or two at garage sales. 😉
Happy Saturday!
HUGS, 💕 Vel

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:28 am

Good Morning Becca...I was a busy day yesterday abd we didnt get home til 10;30 So needless to say we slept in this morning, Today another hockey tournament day but not til 3. Si have time to get some windows done and laundry, But first coffee.
I am thinking on doing another stitchers garden quilt...My grand daughter has the first one I did in a year long class.I found the pattern yesterday and I remembered why it is a monthly b;ock..Each block is made on a preq0uilted backround that you made a head of time, Using a ton of decorative stit
ches and many of the feet you have for your machine,,,I have 40 or 50 different feet and it uses many of them...I am still deciding if I have all the stuff to do this again. Or the directions...I am hoping I remember how all of it is done, It includes bobbin work and couching,,,and many other techniques plus fringe flowers and sewing in a circle....I may need a class again,,,
Well its time to make some breakfast and get moving here,,,Have a MARVY day as Chris always says,,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:11 am

Good morning,

JUDI - may the force be with your hockey team! Hope you leave a little bit of time for some sewing. I believe I have the pattern for your Stitchers Garden if you are missing a block or two.

BECCA- congratulations to Marty and Estel! Wishing them both many happy years together! 2 gal of strawberries! Yum! Maybe Denise will get some strawberry shortcake when she visits???

VELDA - I do love garage sale-ing. You can find such special treasures! Or not. Once I found a small statue of St. Therese, The Little Flower. My younger sister's patron saint. For a quarter! I call that a treasure!

VALERIE - glad you got to Free Sew, but a bummer about sewing a few setting triangles wrong. I've made several quilts with setting triangles and I don't think I've gotten through a single quilt without having to frog at least one! They can be tricky! Sorry to hear about your DBIL's COPD. How old is he? I'm pretty sure when Joann's has a sale, ALL Joann's has the same sale across the country. I shop around. A lot. Though some of the fabrics are different around the country.

MARY Q - I also have Fiesta Ware. Service for 10 - all different colors. I haven't broken any, though we had a house sitter a few years ago who did. But he replaced with 4 new pieces! But it is heavy so it's not what I use every day. I love those storage containers you got at Joann's. Though I've seen similar, cheaper ones in other, non-sewing stores like Cabela's, Lowe's, Ace, etc. But I don't even have room to store the storage containers! lol! how did yesterday go, helping the gal organize that lady's fabric

CINDY - Maybe you can work out a compromise with your housekeeper. Fewer chores or fewer days . . . REally a bummer about your shoulder. Have you looked into trying non-surgical treatments first to see if they help? There are other options out there that seem to work well for some folks. My gramma was born and raised in NYC and came to WA in 1909. Maybe we're related, "Cuz"!

SHARONA - Sorry, my friend, I couldn't resist teasing you just a little bit about your Chev/Ford. Is it allergies clogging up your breathing?

CHRISS-it's the weekend! Got big plans?

Yesterday I made labels for Christmas quilts for the DGS. (Wooded Whimsey and Penguin Party). I did these with the alphabet feature on my sewing machine. I will post a photo of WW later this morning. Next project up is some May Lotto blocks and then on to Buckeye Beauty from El's Seasons book. I
ordered a book from QIAD yesterday - A New Twist quilt book on sale for $14.39. I loved all the scrappy patterns in the book and I've decided to make my younger sister a new king quilt for Christmas. I can't wait for that book to arrive. Yesterday I also swept/mopped trailer floors and washed sheets - remade bed out there. Bill vac'd and it's all ready to go for the next outing - which, at this point, will be first week of June. I spent a couple hours cleaning pollen, seed, squirrel mess, and wind debris from the deck. We're going to put the birdfeeder on a line from the deck to the RV shelter and run it out on a pulley where the squirrels can't get to it and the birds won't make such a blinkin' mess. Just like a clothesline between tall buildings in NYC. Hopefully that will happen today if it's not too rainy. Yesterday and day before were beautiful here. But I don't think today will be.

Full bobbins for all!
mary z
>^+^<

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:14 am

Judi, that sounds like a fun quilt

El, have fun at the garage sale. Hope you find something you want.
Becca, hope you have a relaxing day.

I'm having lunch with a friend, and then going to pick up my Janome that's been in the shop2 months. He said he figured out the problem.
We'll see.

Have a wonderful day.
Lori 8-)

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:32 am

Good morning!

We started hanging old family pictures down one side of my stairs to the Batt Cave yesterday. I am seeing how well those command picture strips work. So far, no crashes in the middle of the night. I have the strips that hold a lot of weight and theses pictures are just the normal 8x10 or 11x14 sizes, way less weight than the strips can hold. We will see. These pictures have been waiting for me to get around to this project for a long time!

Finally got my curtain rods for my sewing area too. They have been hard to find. I will need to shorten the length and that is easy with these. The light seems to glare badly and so these will help.

Cindyg - what you missed with Michael was he was in the hospital for nearly a month, last October with a severe case of Covid. I nearly lost him to it. He is now what they call a long hauler with lingering symptoms. Brain fog being the worst. He has come a long way back in his recovery. Almost back to a normal.

Aaron stopped by yesterday for lunch. It was a interesting day for him. He was driving a totally unmarked police car, yet, people kept pulling over, asking for help, or as they passed him, hitting the brakes, slowing down, because they were speeding. The windows were dark tint too. Guess it wasn't so unmarked after all! LOL!

Fun story I heard about windows. A husband and wife were sitting at their kitchen table looking outside to their neighbor's yard. The neighbor was hanging out her laundry on the line to dry. The wife complained to her husband, that someone needed to teach the neighbor about how to wash laundry and get it clean, not gray looking. The husband just smiled. This went on for several times, until the wife remarked one day, that someone taught the neighbor how to do it right! The laundry appeared clean and white. Again the husband smiled, as he had washed the window they looked out of. See it's all perspective.

Do fun stuff and that includes sewing, and ignoring windows! LOL!

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:44 am

Good Morning From Soggy Minnesota!

Another rainy cloudy day.... but it's not snowing! I just need to have a few more lights on in the house than usual.

Becca.... You have fresh strawberries already? Do you make jam and jelly? My Dad used to make jelly, but if it didn't set for some reason, it made great topping for ice cream!

Velda... If you like garage sales.. you'd love the one in Wisconsin every year. 75 miles of garage sales from LaCrosse, WI down to almost the Iowa border. People come from miles away and stay in hotels along the way. I see a lot of local ones posted on Facebook and I always think I'm going to go look... then I see all the stuff in my garage that I have to take to Wisconsin to get rid of!

Judi... Oh my gosh, I had to google that quilt you are thinking about... Are you NUTS! It is gorgeous though and I'm guessing it would take a year or so to finish? :lol: :lol: You sure are brave to tackle such a project AGAIN! It's a real work of art!

Maryz... Ended up not going to help the gal yesterday. I called to double check with her about it and she was having a bad day... didn't feel too great, so I'll go next week. Stayed home and made a couple Lotto blocks and cut out pieces for a couple more. As my Feistaware gets heavier and heavier, I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on Corelle dishes. They aren't cheap either, though I bet I could find some at a thrift store.

Lori.... Two months without your sewing machine? I'm assuming you have a back up? I'd go crazy for sure! I thought two weeks was bad! The gal I've been taking my machine to is closing shop in a month. :( I was this far... from buying the new Janome S9 with embroidery module, but then I thought better of it... I would like to eat for the next year! :lol: :lol:

Promised myself that today I would tackle more of the ugly wallpaper in the paper. My neighbor lent me her little steamer so I'm going to try that and see if it makes it easier...

Do any of you use "project boards" for piecing? I saw a thing on FB where a gal made project boards like Lori Holt. So I ran up to Dollar tree and grabbed some foam board and made a couple.... watched a Youtube video first. I'm thinking It might help me get pieces organized a little better . Here's the link if you want to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO-fosn6Yfs

Well, by now my coffee is cold and I should really get going on that ^&$#*(^& wallpaper!

Hope the sun is shining where you are today!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:58 am

Good morning. What an absolutely beautiful day today is going to be. The sun is happily shining in my windows, birds are having a chirpy breakfast and the bunnies and squirrels are out and about. I'm enjoying a cup of coffee and typing a good morning to my peeps. It really doesn't get any better than this.

Becca, you just reminded me. I have some frozen strawberries; I will thaw them out for my yogurt. thanks. hope your coming and going ends in settling. Enjoy your time with DD Monday

Velda, I am supposed to go to the sales today too. My friend hasn't gotten back to me yet. We have a neighborhood in town that is supposed to be having 9 sales. Wehn you and I get back home we should compare finds.

Judi, a stitchers garden quilt would be nice, and a way to use scraps. I think I have the pattern someplace just have never tried it yet. I'm not sure that I have all the feet or stitches they use but it would be a pretty quilt when done. Good to see the plan to finish windows is the month of May. I have 14 to go. I am going to take advantage of your t-shirt advice, already bought my refill jug of Windex. Now to channel my inner Judi. Did you find your belts?

Jana, our house is also one story but has high windows because the house is above ground level. It requires a ladder to do the outside. I thought about a squeegee on a pole. You go girl, Mother Nature is not a worthy opponent for you. Jerry is just now, after having Covid in October, starting to get his taste and smell back. He takes Dilantin for Epilepsy so still has a bit of a foggy brain. It takes a long time to recover but imagine if they weren't vaccinated. When I was working I had someone call for directions. Seems their GPS sent them the wrong way. He called 3 times and on the third time he confessed that the GPS had sent him in the opposite direction I had given him. Funny, he believed GPS three times before he believed me. He was also in a semi.

Flo, hope your son can settle the school issue so he doesn't have to move DGD. Nice of them to take you to the event, feed you and clean up afterwards, you really are spoiled, it's good to be you

Cindy, we don't have a cleaning person here. And Jerry and I are awful at it. We just have dust and dog hair. It would be nice to really go through and clean this house, but it probably won't happen anytime soon, Such is life.

Maryz, wow, your Raymond is way bigger than ours. I would be surprised if there were 200 people in ours. How many of your "I might's" did you do yesterday?

Sharona, sorry you were stuffy the other night. I have been stuffy lately too. I finally used nose spray. My cpap machine has a humidifier in it but it doesn't help, I think the pollen is stuck up my nose and doesn't want to come out. Enjoy your trip, bet the kids will be thrilled to see you.

Maryq, I love the Fiesta ware dishes. My MIL had all the colors. Personally, it's just Jerry and I and we have way too many kitchen items. I'd like to go through the cupboards and get rid of so much of it. Did you help your new friend with her fabric? Was it fun?

Valerie, I couldn't figure out what Joanns sale you and Maryq were talking about. I did go there the other day and bought 3 FQ's so I could have background fabric for my May lotto blocks but didn't find anything else. I like the BOM pattern you are doing. Will dad stay home while you go get your sisters things? Glad to hear your BIL's cancer has shrunk.

Lori, thanks for the magic eraser info. We usually walk at 8:30 but both had things to do so chose to get those steps in earlier than usual. The alternative was not walking at all and I am trying to avoid that. My slider also has nose prints. If the yard sale thing doesn't pan out I will be giving Moose a clean easel for his nose art. Yay, there is a cure for the Janome. Bet it will be nice to have it home again.

Lucky me. The other day I was at our senior center for training and found they have, every week, a sewing circle kind of a thing. People work with whatever needle they use. embroidery, knitting, sewing, whatever. There were maybe 10 or so people there. Well I am going to do it too. And as an added bonus the senior center serves lunch daily so depending on what is on the menu I may partake. so excited.

While I have been chatting here I have been doing a load of laundry, it's almost dry so I had best get going. Not sure if we are yard sailing or not, but I had best shower just incase we do.

Hope you all have a spectacular day
Chriss
Psalm 91

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:00 am

MaryZ, the shop we bought the headboard is in Bee Cave, which is a SW Austin
suburb.

I will get the guest bed set up today. Have to run to Marble Falls, 25 miles east, to Lowe's and HEB grocery store. I've invited our friends and the neighbors next door over tomorrow for BBQ Ribs.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Lyn

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:09 am

LYN, my DD, Autumn, lives in Bee Cave. She is a director of the Laura Bush library on Bee Cave Rd.

Return to “Sew ins”