Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday November 24,2021

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Wednesday November 24,2021

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:58 am

Good morning Everyone,
We are at 32* no problem I don't have to be anywhere I will be busy making pie and when thats all done I will be putting garland together no one will be coming tomorrow and we are not going out.
Both kids are cooking there own turkey and that's fine but trust and belive Billy already asked about chocolate cream pie they will be here on friday :lol: .

Not much going on here I hope Everyone is having a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Re: Wednesday November 24,2021

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:46 am

Good morning Lois and all I have started decorating and will try to do the outside today,,,We only do the porch,,,Ken doesnt have time and I dont do heights, I use the kitchen step stool to hang garland and lightts around the covered porch, same each year, I do have a large wreath that hangs in front of the living room windows outsade,,,Ken will hang that for me all are done with white lights that twinkle..we have them on a timer so they go on at 5 and off at 11, I also need to run to the grocry store and pick up a few things,,that will take up the day, we are wrming to 48 today so it will be a pleasent day in our pleasent penninsula. hope yours is tooXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:48 am

Good morning everyone sunny here at 26
I got all the prep done yesterday I could do I made cranberry salad pumpkin pies oatmeal chocolate chip cookies sweet potato soufflé So today I will dominate turkey breast creamed potatoes broccoli steamed to add & deviled eggs They will be here this afternoon & tomorrow
And our DS is coming too Wewill have 9
I stopped my big meals at 74 Then they started bringing all the food
Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving day Becca

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:19 am

Good Morning all. I was here earlier. Decided to let someone else begin our conversation.
DH and I are for sure going to be by ourselves tomorrow. But that's OK, we are used to that. It's the normal, because all family live in different directions. I am doing a T-breast and all the fixings, just small scale. Checked yesterday and it's thawed in frig and it fits perfectly in my small granite roaster. We are deciding now whether to eat big meal at noon or late afternoon.
Today, I need to get laundry done, and clean house. After that, more tying on quilts.
Look forward always to Macy's Parade tomorrow and Christmas Movies later in the day. We don't do football games.
So, Happy "Prep" Day for all of you who are entertaining family. Above all: May God Bless You. And, safe travels for those on the road today.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:25 am

Morning
Easy day...wait for Joe to call so I can pick him up & that will be this afternoon sometime.

Maryq, both truckers will be home. Joe today DS1 tonight. Yesterday was first time I went to Morning mass. Our church does not have it everyday. Our priest has 3 churches. But I may go once a week.
Flo

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:36 am

Good morning from Bakersfield

It was a bit of a nightmare drive yesterday 372 miles. Lots of dense fog. Lots of drivers who did not go for the headlight option on their vehicles. Couldn’t read highway signs and took wrong exit for a rest area. Took us 12 miles to get back to the freeway and another 120 miles to find another rest area, Which was closed. Later on we hit heavy construction for several miles. Was sad to see all the dead and dying and downed Fruit and nut Orchards and Vineyards. There is little water here anymore. Lots of land for sale signs.

We finally arrived at our RV park and had a nice evening. My brother received his north pole map along with some hickory farms sausages and cheeses. He loved the map and studied it closely as I knew he would.

Judy, I bet your house is going to be beautiful! I would be decorating too if I were home. We do have our trailer decorated as much as you can do the trailer. A little tree will go up when we land in Austin

Lois, your garland is going to be really sweet. I forgot who you were making it for but you really need to make another one for yourself. Maybe a third one for me?

Becca, you say you are “only” having nine. Nine is my entire family - children, in-laws, and grandchildren. Sounds as if you are going to have a real feast

Chriss, how did your two days of training going? are you and Jerry ready for TG?

Velda, we will just be having a small dinner too. The parade and Christmas movies while time Quilt sounds like a great way to spend Thanksgiving

Flo, glad your truckers will be home. My brother also attends morning mass every day of the week. If he is trucking, he knows all the churches along the Aladka Highway. Some are mission churches in Quansett huts. He is 86 but he still knows how to serve mass from when he was a kid . if there are no altar boys he hops up and helps. Should probably go into Guinness book of records as oldest altar boy ever.

Today we have 360 miles to go to Arizona to meet my sister. We are trying to plan Where to stop for fuel. It is so expensive in California. One station was $5.49 for diesel. Most stations range around $4.79. No offense to our California girls about their beautiful state but we could never afford to live here! Washington is higher than most of the US at $3.83/gal at but now that seems almost cheap

Will meet up with my sister & DBIL this afternoon. We are all Going to the pizza place in Quartzsite for a pizza and a pitcher of beer for supper

Happy Thanksgiving Eve to everyone!!

Mary z

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:52 am

Good morning, it's going to be a great day today,

My big job is to figure out a green veggie to make for TG. I have to admit my usual go to is green beans with onion, bacon and stewed chopped tomatoes. It was always on my grandma's table at turkey time. As much as I would prefer some brussel sprouts with bacon and mushrooms sauteed in butter I may just stick with the green beans, it's easier. I have all day to think about it and can go to the store this afternoon. I'd also like a green salad or maybe a broccoli salad. We always have too much food. I also need to get a box of gallon sized zip lock bags so my son can take home leftovers.

Jerry didn't have a green veggie on his menu, his idea of a veggie is potatoes. UGH! I think color he thinks starch. One of these days Alice, straight to the moon!

Lois, funny how our kids love what they love. It made me smile to read that Billy will be there for his chocolate cream pie. It will be great to get to spend time and a slice of pie with each other. When you give him a hug add a squeeze from me, he sounds like a great kid.

Judi, since you are going to the store can you pick up my list and get me a few things? I don't do heights either. Jerry is the decorator at our house. He has the tree up and a wreath on the door. I wouldn't mind a new wreath. Didn't Ken have knee issues, or am I mixing him up with someone else? Hope he is doing well. One year we cooked our turkey at grandma's and everyone brought side dishes, it went really well. I think it's a great idea, and I agree, there is a time for the kids to take over and help with the cooking.

Becca, your meal sounds wonderful. Had I known that oatmeal chocolate chip cookies were included I might have made your 9 turn into 10. In our family when my grandma decided she didn't want to do the big meal anymore I took it over. Actually, truth be told, my husband took it over. Not sure why the cooking skipped a generation but lots of things skipped a generation. It was always a great day to get to go to grandma's house for a gathering. I'm sure your family is the same, coming home is just the best ever.

Maryz, hope you waved as you went through central Cali. Hope you took I5 because there is so much ridiculous traffic on 99 that it isn't even worth driving on. Too much construction going on, it's really messed up. You are right, everything is expensive here. And if we didn't already have a house here we could never afford to live here. Rent for a one-bedroom apartment is easily $900 or more. People are renting houses for $2,000 a month. It's really crazy. Gas, yep, that's another thing. We have the refineries and the most expensive gas. And, in my opinion, it's not the beautiful state it used to be. Trash is everywhere, people just toss it out their car window. they dump things like mattresses, old furniture etc, on the side of the road. And I won't go to San Francisco again. I loved that city but with the crime and filth I won't go. Stores are closing there because it's an unpunished crime to steal product under a certain dollar amount. I could go on but neither of us has that kind of time.

Jana, hope the score was Jana 1 dust bunnies 0.

Maryq, I think we should crash Tina's party, she won't even notice and she will still have leftovers. I laughed when you said you weren't a fan of stuffing. I imagine you to be a picky eater.

Sharona, I didn't know Costco sold so much premade stuff. I bet it's really good. Smart idea to take the load off of your time in the kitchen.

Velda, I think your TG sounds perfect. I vote for eating at noon, that way you can have leftovers in the evening. sounds like a cozy day for you and DH.

Flo, Glad DH and DS will be home tonight, enjoy Mass.

Today's question, besides this forum and your families what are the things you are truly thankful for?

I am truly thankful (besides all of you and my family) that all of my needs are met and a lot of my wants are met as well. I have a roof, food, enough money to pay the bills, and I have a hobby I like as well as volunteering which I am enjoying. It's good to be me.

God bless you my friends, have a wonderful Thanksgiving,
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:16 am

I’m back! Chris, I vote for the brussels sprouts. I roast them in the oven in olive oil garlic and bacon bits. At the last few minutes I sprinkle Parmesan cheese on them. I could eat the whole bowl myself. I used to hate sprouts as a kid. And my aunt always serve them when we were at her house. Of course, in those days, kids cleaned their plates but I would have anyway as it was the only way to get to Play with their tinker toys!
And yes, we took I-5 though we discussed 99. At one time it was an OK route. We also discussed you and your proximity to us but I knew you were busy plus we had our travel agenda to Meet My sister by this afternoon for her birthday. Nice you have such good memories of your grandma. I never had any grandparents but we did have an older couple, friends of my parents, who stood in once in a while.

Got to go. Time to get ready for the road

Mz

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:23 am

Good Morning Girls

Just in case I don't get here tomorrow morning... like most of you I will be busy getting dinner ready. I want to share my thanksgiving message today. It's maybe a little long, so grab your coffee cup.

Not to be morbid of course, but on my way into town from my house I drive by the St. Michael Catholic cemetery. So as I'm going into town to get my flu shot yesterday I notice it all set up for a funeral. Having lived here for 37 years I know quite a few folks, especially from the time that DEX and I owned the drug store here. So of course I'm curious to see whose funeral it is and while I'm waiting for my turn at the flu shot, I google the local funeral home to see who has passed. Turns out it was an old customer of ours, and parent to a kid Jen went to high school with. They lived right on the main road to town and I drove by their house every day. It was the funeral for John D. As I read the obit it mentions that he was preceded by his wife Julie. OMG I thought, I didn't hear that she had passed as well. She passed November 7th.. just 3 weeks ago and John passed on the 18th! They'd been married since 1968, had 6 kids and were just a few years older than me.

So, when I get home I double check the info on the funeral home web site, to send to Jen to tell her and up pops another name I know from my years here. Joe Z. I've know Joe and his wife for years.. she used to run a florist shop in town and I bought furniture from Joe many years ago. He was 62. Again so shocked and saddened. Joe was always so sweet and kind. and 62 is SO young!

So here is my point today.... Cherish EVERY MINUTE! Be thankful for lumps in the gravy, for burned edges on pumpkin pie, for spilled milk, for turkey that may be got a little dry. Hug every body (ok within reason) and tell somebody you love them. I LOVE Shirleymae's note this morning. Don't sweat the small stuff.

And be grateful! Find some little thing to be grateful for every day. Today, as many of you are, I am enjoying my family being close by but I am also so grateful for all of you and though it might sound trite in a way.. you all have made such a difference in my life over the last 15 years. It has my honor to know you all!

Happy Thanksgiving

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:28 am

Good morning everyone! A chilly 43 here right now but should get to 67. Heaters are running.
Lois I will make a couple of pies today, 1 pumpkin and 1 lemon merengue. May also start putting the stuffing together but keep the wet and dry ingredients separate. May put the fruit salad together also.
Judi sounds like your house will be pretty for the holidays. Not sure what I will do this year. I think it will be just DH, Dad and I so likely not much. Good idea to use the timer. Saves on power bill but here in California we think in terms it may save a burglary!
Becca your dinner sounds Devine! don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep!
Vel thanks for the reminder, I gotta check and make sure turkey is thawing. I took it out on Sunday. It is 20 lbs so hoping. I may have to leave out overnight tonight. I don't usually do that but....
Flo glad the truckers will be home. Wow, 3 churches, he is a busy priest.
Maryz sorry to have missed you on your trip through California. I am a bit away from I5 though. Maybe next time. Or maybe us Cali girls could all get together and you can come too! wouldn't that be fun.
Chriss ditto your statement about California. Looked online, the cheapest 1 bedroom apartment here in Vallejo is $1300 a month. I have often wondered too why our gas is so high, I live within 40 miles of 4 refineries and pay some of the highest gas prices in the nation. Hoping your classes are coming along because I will need that info soon. I am taking straight Medicare for now but may consider other options once I retire.

I made brussel spouts last night. Drizzled in olive oil and maple syrup. (use the real stuff) then mix that all up. Sprinkle cut of raw bacon on top, a bit of Salt and Fresh ground pepper then roast in the oven. They were great. Also made some meatloaf and baked potato. Not sure what's on menu for tonight. I guess with company left overs would be tacky?

I really want to make a dent on my BOM blocks today. We will see. CG asked for today off to start her meal prep and since DH would be her if I got a late call I said okay. Not sure that was the best answer but she has things to do for the holiday too.

Need to see if I can get into my EMR system and redo a chart. It hasn't wanted to open this AM. Sometimes it goes down.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Return to “Sew ins”