Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUNDAY, Oct 17

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

SUNDAY, Oct 17

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:52 am

Good morning,
It's one of those sleepless nights here.

JANA - I hope Michael is back home again soon. And this time sticks the landing. A cute story about the orange kitties!

SUZ - Now that you mention it, I've noticed a few of my fabrics have a fade streak but I don't buy much fabric at HL. I suppose it could happen anywhere.

SHERRY - so sorry to hear you're sick. Be well soon! Sending you some virtual chicken soup!

BECCA - acupuncture just might be a great idea for your TGN. Absolutely worth a try. So, what direction does your poinsettia window face? I'm doing everything they said on the internet about forcing blooms. I got one red leaf so far - and then it fell off. :cry:

CHRISS - Sorry Jerry is feeling punk still. And that you are having to do the cooking. We've only used our air fryer once - for a sheet pan supper. Oh, and we make toast with it. We learned to either cut the food up larger or cook it less time. But it worked well that once. I was going to make fries with it last night, but we ended up having beans with our burgers instead. We watched that show, Better Late than Never. It was fun and funny. I remember one episode were Henry Winkler rode a motorcycle, very wobbily. Turns out, even though The Fonz was a proficient rider, Henry never was! Gas prices here vary widely. One station is closing in on $5/gal but most are a dollar less. Costco is about $3.69 I think.

FLO - a puppy is good medicine!

VELDA - glad you are finding your new home holds the heat well. I'm anxious to see what our new windows do. I know they really cut the heat that comes IN through them in summer and they also muffle outdoor sounds like traffic. And owls.

Yesterday I finished cleaning, purging, reorganizing the deep closet in the quilting room. I have two large shelving units in that closet - one for finished quilts and one for Christmas stuff. Plus the two long shelves above them. Yay! Then I got all the applique done on my AK blocks. Today - I will put attic window frames on those blocks and start sewing them together.

Talked to my sister yesterday. She told me they are going to be in So Cal, just over the state line from Yuma, AZ over Thanksgiving riding ATV's in the sand dunes there. We will be driving near there on our way to TX, so we're planning to meet up and travel across AZ and NM with them when they leave the Dunes on their way to FL for Christmas. We'll have our own early Christmas with them somewhere along the way.

Hoping you all have a great Sunday!
mary z

QuiltGram8

Re: SUNDAY, Oct 17

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:43 am

Good Morning, Maryz. I hate sleepless nights. I don't get them as often lately. Someone suggested melatonin chewables. I can take one I in the middle of the night. It helps just enough to calm my brain from overdrive and I can go back to sleep. I wake up without grogginess and it works for me.
Meeting in and around Yuma, AZ sounds like a neat addition to your travel plans.
Yuma is where our Marine grandson is stationed. My husband back in the day did deployment there when he was in the Marines back in late 60's. His duty station then was Beaufort, SC, but would do 2-3 week deployments from time to time to Yuma, other places.
looking out the window, I can see the horizon is beginning to get brighter. Sunrise 🌅 is still over 30 minutes away. Temperature is now turning to fall here. Low tonight was 44.
I love fall.
Even though I am taking a break from sewing, my brain is still planning. I have some ideas for using fabric pieces in plastic tubs from church fabrics to stitch up and get them used. Two years ago, I was sent home with a large bag of 5" circles. I have used so many in the past, but it's like the never ending stack. Also some other precut pieces that need to be added here and there.
Looking forward to getting back to these quilt tops since they say, "just sew the pieces together and make the tops 64" x 84". We are free to make them as simple or complicated as we want. Free to be creative. That's the fun part!
Time to get back to coffee.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:48 am

Good morning cloudy here again but we did see the sun for about an hour yesterday, we are at 43 this morning, I love it...the bugs go away and with a jacket on you can sit on the porch...I almost took my coffee out there this morning, it will be a very busy week here, I have some thing going on every day, Monday shop for meat and pantry items. Tuesday take the grand puppies to the vet for their shots and check ups. Wednesday our annual trip to Frankenmuth Mi ( let the christmas shopping begin) thursday housework and laundry ( it will be piled up by then) and friday 730 am lab work, 830am Dexascan, 9am Mammogram, and 10am Prolia injection all at the same hospital. AND as a reward for being a good girl I will stop at a quilt shop on the way home, so if you miss me next week I will be running the streets,,,today I am doing some laundry and we have a hockey game at 1. I will put Barbacoa in the crock pot and we will have that with beans and rice for supper...Hope you all have a Blessed sunday and MAryz take a nap...XXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOO

Becca

Post by Becca » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:09 am

Good morning everyone sunny here but 41
Maryz My night was also sleepless I finally put a pain patch on my face It did help with pain some
Velda I know the Church appreciates your sewing the material Nice you can do as you choose
Judi What a day at the Hospital That’s amazing you could get them set up like that
I have Church then hope to get a rest or nap in after lunch Have a blessed day everyone. Becca

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:51 am

Good morning all, Happy Sunday. Hope you are all having a blest day.
Grammie those rice packs sound like a wonderful plan. I do have an old fashioned ice pack but just a heating pad for heat. A rice pack would be good for around the neck and shoulder area. That is where a lot of my headaches come from. Hope your week does not wear you out, I am worn out just reading it!
Maryz I am going to work a bit in my sewing room today I think. I can’t believe how quickly it got a mess. I have never really had one until now. I may need to rethink this! I haven’t mailed a package since the Halloween blocks but that was before the 1st of the month. Oct 1 is when things were supposed to change. Hoping the USPS can keep up.
Sharona emotional tolls can take their toll on your body and spirit quickly. Prayers for you today.
Chriss I am sure hoping Jerry gets better soon. Prayers for him too. You may cool off soon, we are starting rain today and rain planned for most of the week. Not sure how much we will get but even a few drops is better than what we have had. Gas here is getting ridiculous! $4.69 the other day. I saw yesterday Safeway is down to $3.99 if you use cash so will fill up there.
Vel we are changing seasons today. 87 yesterday with the air condition on. 66 today and rain.
Becca I have never been able to keep a poinsettia alive let alone bloom again! That takes a much greener thumb than I have. They say acupuncture can be very effective. My little 106 yr old patient had it for her legs and she says they no longer hurt!
Suzette I do not use Hobby Lobby fabric for quilts. If I am making a pillow cover or something like that then maybe. For the most part the quality isn’t what you will find in a quilt shop. I have not had issues with fad lines though. You could be right about the light.
Jana ongoing prayers for Michael. Hoping he turns the corner soon. And yes, Teddy Bears can cheer up just about anything.
Sherry hope you are back up to par soon. I was kinda not feeling it for a few days, got Covid tested and it was negative so thinking the high winds we had stirred up my allergies and asthma. Feeling better now.
I don’t know what I will get done today. I do need to do some charting, some more classes and clean up the sewing room. I bought some canvas yesterday to make a young girl I know a tote bag. We went to St. Helena on Friday and shopped up and down the main street but didn’t find anything. Nothing she would wear and everything was way way expensive. So I decided to make her a tote bag. She has Down’s Syndrome but is pretty high functioning. She want to move out on her own so the Regional Center is working with her to teach her money management, cooking and all those things you need to know. They have a program where she can live alone with heavy oversight.
Guess I best get to thinking about breakfast and another cup of coffee. Then to get the day started.
Cupcake HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:11 am

Happy birthday Valerie. Hope you get to spend it doing what you love. Have a extra big piece of cake.🍰
Lori 8-)

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:17 am

Maryz, you are really getting those blocks done quickly. Bummer you couldn't sleep.
I was awakened about 3, because Jack went to move and fell off the bed. Such a silly dog. Molly was a bit annoyed.

Valerie, we've had 91 degrees for 2 days, and it's supposed to drop to 78 today and 68 by Tuesday. Should I keep the shorts out, or get the sweaters out? Typical weather here in SoCal.

Becca, pain will definitely keep you awake. Hope you are feeling better this AM.

Judi, hope you get a little sewing therapy at some point.

Velda, I tried Melatonin once. It was terrible. Gave me crazy dreams and restless sleep. My sister said she can't take it either. I figure I'll sleep when I'm tired.

Chriss, hoping your test comes back negative and you can resume normal life. Hope Jerry feels better soon.

Jana, How's Michael? Will he be coming home today?

We are off to the park for our walk with the boys. Then I need to straighten out a closet in the spare room. I've been putting stuff in there willy nilly. My friendship group is doing a mini retreat this week, so I need to get my project together for that as well. I have my 6 week post op on tomorrow too. Lots to do this week.

Have a wonderful day.
Lori 8-)

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:47 am

Thank you Lori, like most other days will care for Dad. We were thinking of Red Lobster for dinner but will have to see about the weather. I don't take Dad out in the cold/wet unless necessary. Thanks again!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:48 am

Good morning!

Haven't talked to Michael yet this morning. Last night when they brought his dinner, he said he was so hungry, he could eat a horse! A good sign I'd say. His O2 number held while the PT put him through some paces. I don't think he will be home today. I am trying to be patient as I do not want another repeat of too early of a release.

So the other week, spiders were being discussed here. Well, Aaron can add the title of spider wrangler to his growing resume. Seems as if a tarantula decided it wanted to have a ride on the freeway in a unsuspecting car. The driver saw it as it crawled out of the defroster vent, on the inside of the car. Screamed, pulled to the side of the freeway and called 911. Aaron and a trooper were dispatched to help. They both were scratching their heads how to get this unwanted creative to come back out and catch it . Well, Aaron had some spray carburetor cleaner in his truck, so the trooper had his small baton out, Aaron sprayed the tarantula and it did come out and the trooper beat the snot out of it. One less spider in this world! Oh, the driver was a 25 year guy, screaming on the side of the freeway. Your Aaron story for the day. LOL!

The kids are enjoying Disneyland. They had dinner at Boudin's - it makes the very, absolutely best San Francisco sourdough bread. Matt called to tell me what they were eating- I told him he was a brat! As the kids grew up, we would take rides around the Bay Area and many times we would stop at the wharf, grab a couple of loaves of fresh warm Boudin's bread and munching on that as we were out on our ride. It is one thing they all miss living here. So now you know why I called him a brat!

So not much more here, I am hanging in there. Do you remember a picture of a soggy wet cat, hanging on at the knot at the end of a rope? That's me at the moment. I will get through this, I am a good knot hanger oner-

Hugs,
Jana

womster

Post by womster » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:11 am

Good morning!

Maryz – sorry you had trouble sleeping. What a fun time y’all will have with your sister over Thanksgiving! Congrats on all your purging/cleaning. And thanks for caring.

Vel – a never-ending stack of circles – cool! I like that you are planning quilts in your brain.

Judi – running the streets – ha! I like the mental picture that paints. Your week sounds very full.

Becca – I’m so sorry you’re in such pain. Sure hope you can get some rest this afternoon.

Valerie – Happy Birthday! We love the Red Lobster. Thanks so much for your prayers – they are sorely needed.

Lori – you have a busy week also. Hope your walk in the park was a good one for all.

Jana – prayers continue for Michael. OH MY GOSH I think I would have fainted if I saw a tarantula crawling out of anywhere.

Nothing new here – after our snow it’s going to be in the low 70s here. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

Return to “Sew ins”