Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Friday October 15th 2021

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Friday October 15th 2021

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:03 am

Good morning it is pouring rain and has been all night, it will continue all day, soggy good morning.
I will do a bit of cleaning, floors need dusting again, Hockey season has begun and the Red Wings lost the home opener last night,,,,gosh it was good to see a crowd in the arena again, and it was loud. nd a very exciting game though.
I have 3 more borders to sew and the quilt will be ready for the LA...I will load it and stop to make rice packs I need to make 8 now as my other son wants one too. I need more rice so a costco run might be in order,,,I have decided to make washable covers for them as they are not washable. just a simple pillow case will do with a tie closure. My DD family likes them in the freezer and my sons like them warmed...
Well I need to get coffee...hope you have a little fun today, prayers for all especially those with covid...and prayers for our country,,XXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOO

billizzy

Re: Friday October 15th 2021

Post by billizzy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:20 am

Good morning up and in sewing room cutting tri recs for my border. Got all my strips cut yesterday this is final border for my Taos BOM quilt sew excited to have top done .

DDIL got retested and is negative back to work for her. DS TOO 🥰 DS came snd got lil man last night he was excited to go home 🥰 house was soooo quiet 😂 he is back this morning so mommy n daddy can go to work

Put up 6 more gallon bags fries last night. Here is how I do it per my ball canning book I prep them by cleaning n drying. I leave peeling on all the good stuff in those peelings 🥰 then slice into fries. Put in boiling salt water 3 min to blanch. Put out on towel so can dry and cool. I salt them really well again. Once dry m cool put into ziplock freezer bag press out all air and freeze. I have never had them turn black or be mushy. I am using Yukon gold taters. In past I used white tater do we shall see how they do this year. DH has 4 more rows to dig up. I have 2 more crates from first 4 rows each crate yields 5 gallons minimum. So basically about 5 gallons per row. 😊

I am trying to get lots put up for winter tonight will be mushrooming to pick hen and chicks in woods and freeze up 🥰 I put up 22 quail last weekend. Roosters and rabbits still to go then will be done and freezer full until DH gets deer 🥰 life on a homestead.

Hope all can stitch today. Prayers for those still Ill 🤒🙏🥰

🤗 hugs 🙏 prayers 🧵happy stitches
🐐izzy

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:34 am

Good morning Judi and Izzy,

Yesterday was such a beautiful day that I decided to clean all my windows I have a small house so it goes by pretty quick and when we were at the last craft fair in PA I purchased these cleaning cloths to clean windows with they are by Norwex all you need to do is use water on them and they have 1 to wipe dry surprising they worked great also used mr clean spray for the ledges and wiped with paper towel.

Today will be regular cleaning so thats what will going on here.

Judi I make those rice packs but never thought of making covers so that might be a good idea for the next time thanks for the idea.

Izzy that is alot of work where do you get all that energy from so glad all your family is feeling better .

Well thats all the news here I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois
Last edited by fabricgirl on Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

patches4

Post by patches4 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:37 am

Good morning
Still dark and to be cool today. Off for subbing so no sewing till later. Did chores, yesterday and got three rows 10 6 inch squares put together. Was short squares so had to do quick trip to joAnns. Have 12 rows of squares to put together so that will be later. Gotta get coffee going and get ready to go. Have a sew blessed, happy day. Prayers to all in need known and unknown.
Hugs
TinaB
Patches4

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:01 am

Good Morning! Many are up and busy so early today!
Izzy: I wondered how you would prepare the tators. What a big job! I remember all those years of canning and preserving for winter. So glad to not be doing all that anymore. Our family never froze potatoes. We had cool cellarm and stored whole unwashed potatoes. They lasted all winter. Potatoes were probably my most favorite to grow and harvest from my garden. My next favorite was sweet pickles. Used my mother's 14-day pickles recipe. It was so good. I marvel at your energy, Izzy.
Judi, Lois, cleaning and doing windows. You will be all set for the holidays.
Patches, I forgot what pattern you are doing. Hope you get what you need at Joann's.
I need to work on Lotto today.
Are any of you joining this month. I read in Facebook that Teresa is having a dermatologist visit to remove a spot. Hope we can stir up a little more interest to give her some support for her Lotto efforts. She has always tried to make an easy block.
I will post a picture of mine later today on the Lotto page. Take a look and give it some thought and see if you can enter this month.
I know it would make Teresa so happy.
HUGS, 💕 Vel

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:57 am

Good morning,

IZZY - thank you! I'm going to try that! I never thought of freezing potatoes, though I've made timbales out of mashed potatoes and twice baked potatoes before and froze them. I prefer the peelings on, too, and always leave them unless the potato is getting overly elderly.

TINA B - what do you teach? Who do you teach? And what quilt are you working on? It's nice to have you here!

JUDI - That's a great idea to make washable covers for your rice packs. We heat them, never thought of using them in freezer for hot weather or maybe for owies. When you say 3 more borders, do you mean you have to attach a border on 3 more sides or are you putting a total of 4 borders on your quilt?

LOIS - You probably noticed I wasn't in the laundry room with you yesterday as promised. I forgot! Maybe today I'll remember. I hope not. :lol: Good on you for washing all your windows! I'm not going to do that until spring. Not even tempted. Our windows are all new and still pretty clean.

VELDA - we also, just stored potatoes, squashes, and other root veggies in bins in the fruit room in the cellar. Mom also canned tons of fruits, veggies, jams, jellies. Daddy did not like frozen food. She never made pickles though, that I remember. And I've given up on them, too. I just dumped out about 20 jars of pickles I made last August. I've tried sweet, dill, bread and butter, refrigerator, 14-day, and more. Pickles do not like me.

MARY Q - You may have to just get on a townhouse builder's list for a future build. Is that possible? So, what did you get Kris for her birthday today? Those retro trailer X-st patterns are cute. I posted a photo of them last June. They are now hanging in our trailer.

LYN - it looks like the vote is in - the quilting machine is going. How is your DH doing? Do you think all those treatments helped? You are leaving for TX very soon aren't you?

CHRISS - I'll be sending you some X-St stuff soon. Do with it what you will. I'm going to wait a few more days, though, to make sure I've got everything in there. ;) So, what does Jerry use in place of noodles in your lasagna? Otherwise, isn't it just sauce and cheese? I've layered in shredded zucchini before and no one even noticed. Hope your tests come back soon and are negative! We are leaving for Texas Nov 23, Tuesday before TG.

JANA - anxiously awaiting word on how Michael is doing. I know everyone has you covered at home in case you need anything, but you know me - I'm a worrier and a fretter.

Yesterday We loaded my black/bright DWR onto the LA. Then as I was passing the quilting room yesterday evening, I remembered that we bought black batting to use on this quilt! Bill loaded it with W&N. So, it will have to come off the frame today and get changed out. Thank goodness the thread isn't here yet, or we would have been stitching away on this! Meanwhile across the hall in the sewing room, I made the 10th and am working on the 11th (of 12) Alaska blocks. Hope to get them done today, then start appliqueing animals on 8 of them.

Has anyone here ever kept poinsettias over and tried to get them to turn red again at Christmas? We have one that was given to us 3 yrs ago. Just a grocery store plant. So this year I decided to try to make it 'bloom'. We are putting it into the bathroom at night with lights off and door closed for 10-14 hours. This has to be done for about 12 weeks. We are in week 3. I think it' working! A few of the leaves are starting to turn. It will be all red just in time to leave it. Sigh.

Have a fab Friday!
mary z
>^+^>

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:20 am

Good morning, it's going to be a great day today.

Jerry is still sick, Moose and I got up and let him sleep a bit. This virus has hit him harder than it did me. He has been taking over the counter meds but I am not convinced they work. I took Nyquil two nights but other than doubling up on my vitamin C and taking my regular vitamins I have done nothing different.

My test came back negative, Jerry hasn't gotten his results yet. I want one more negative test before I watch the boys. I'd be so devastated if they got sick on my watch.

I get to go to the dump today, bet you wish you could go with. Jerry asked me to take the recyclables. I think as a reward I may hit a few yard sales because heaven knows I need more junk.

Judi, I so wish I had your soggy morning, It would be so good for us to get rain for a lot of reasons.

Izzy, sounds like things are getting back to normal for you. Nice to have everyone healthy.

Lois, I have windows if you want more practice with that cloth. I'll make lunch.

TinaB, are you making a charm quilt? what colors? I have used scraps to make charm quilts, They are quick to put together and look really nice.

Velda, thanks for the Marshall Dry Goods info. I love their prices and hoped they had good fabric.

Maryz, take your time on sending the package, I can wait. And, if you are my Santa you can call it my gift. win win. Yes, my lasagna is pretty much a layer of meat sauce, ricotta cheese mixed with parm and spinach, and more sauce topped with cheese. I have tried slice zucchini but it seems to slide around, perhaps grated would work better, or spaghetti squash, yum. Glad you saw the batting on the DWR quilt before you stitched a stitch. You are making good time on the AK quilt. When I was working, which I am not doing now, there was a huge poinsettia on top of the filing cabinets under a florescent light. the light was on 24/7. It turned red. It was also never repotted from it's plastic cheap grocery store pot.

Maryq, I went to the post office and to get gas yesterday, I must have missed you. Do you believe I can send a package to Marilyn in Northern Cali and it gets there the next day. Yep, Jerry is Covid sick. But because he is vaccinated his symptoms are no where near a friend of mine who chose not to vaccinate, she is barely walking and on oxygen. I bet Kris would appreciate bale of hay money.

I didn't put those flannel sheets on the bed yesterday, maybe today. I did go through all of my emails, I had been putting it off and am now caught up. Such an exciting life I lead

Hope you all have a blessed day,
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

womster

Post by womster » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:33 am

Hi all -

I received my official notification for a successful signup for Medicare - yipee! Today I will be setting up my online account info, plus meeting with the retirement people from DH's work to sign up for the other stuff. The vet's office called to let us know our dog's ashes were in. We don't even remember signing up for that. My stepmom called us yesterday to let us know my dad has started sleeping a lot. The dr said nothing is wrong health-wise because he still eats, but we all think this is the beginning of his time here. Life is so hard sometimes. Well, breakfast duties call. I hope y'all have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:04 am

Good morning!

Not much new on Michael. They have him on a high input O2 mask and some new covid med. We are praying hard to keep him out of the ICU. I get conflicting reports on the antibiotics and pneumonia. It's hard this time as Matt is gone and we found out that Aaron is not allowed to visit, due to Aaron just getting over covid himself. Kate can't go either, because of her job contact with sick people. So all I have is the phone. Rules of the hospital. The nurses are very good at helping me know things.

Matt got off and to Disneyland yesterday. Sarah leaves about now to drive down today. At least the snow is gone! Matt lives about 5 miles from me and yesterday's storm rained on him and snowed on me. Silly weather! The sun just peeked over the tops of the mountains, which have lots of snow on them. Yippee, we so need a huge deep snow pack this year.

So after a few uglies, a trip up to the mailbox, I will head down to the Batt Cave and see what bills need to be paid and then may get to sew a little bit. Not much in the mood to sew, but will try.

Thanks for the concern and prayers, they are needed and much appreciated,
Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:28 am

Good Morning Girls

Sure looks pretty outside my window this morning, but man it sure got cold! Only 43* this morning. Had to break down and turn on the furnace yesterday. My lower level is always chilly and I don't want anybody coming up with frost on their eye lashes this morning! :lol: :lol:

Judi... Hockey season! Baseball isn't over yet is it? I should have known pro hockey was starting soon as my Nolan has started his hockey too... He's 10! For a minute I thought, why can't you wash rice packs... DUH... Washable covers sounds like a much better idea! Actually now that I'm thinking about it, they would be great little stocking stuffers... or items to sell at a craft fair! Great way to use up scraps!

Izzy... Thanks for telling us how to do potatoes. Sounds like a lot of work, but I do have a few extra pair of hands around here and now that we have a freezer.... it would be nice to have some on hand. The trick would be to nail down one of the kids to help me wash, blanch, and dry! Glad everybody has their negative test! Your DD never got sick?

Lois... When I was at that craft fair last weekend, there was a booth of those Norwex cloths... I wondered how well they work. No matter how hard I try I still get streaks in my windows! How are you doing on your Dinosaurs!?

Tina.... Subbing? Are you a teacher?

Velda.... I just might go check out the lotto.... though I have 6 projects lined up near my sewing machine... I know how much Teresa LOVES Lotto! :lol: :lol:

Maryz... I'm a really bad Mother-in-law... I haven't gotten Kris anything for her birthday... Thought I might get her a gift card for a bale of hay for her horse! They are going out for dinner tonight and won't be home until tomorrow, so I'm thinking I'll go get cake etc for tomorrow. No sense looking for townhouse now, everything sells so fast and the kids won't be ready to do anything here until after the 1st of the year. Good thing you noticed the black batting before Bill got that DWR all stitched!
Haven't kept a Pointsetta plant, but I did that with a Geranium... kept it in a dark place over the winter and brought it up this spring... and it bloomed!

Chriss... Did you get sticker shock at the gas station too? Gas is $3.09 here, though it really varies in the area... one place it was $2.94!... of course not in my neighborhood. The trick is to not let the tank get empty! Sorry Jerry is still sick... OTC meds will only help the symptoms, but sometimes that's all you need. Since everybody was sick here a few weeks ago, we now have a small Pharmacy of meds in the house.

Sharon.... Kind of a relief isn't it that all the Medicare stuff is complete! Since it's open enrollment now you would not believe that mail I am getting from every insurance company out there. Since my plan only costs me $60 a month I'm sticking with that!

Jana.... Michael is on the top of my prayer list today! So hope and pray that they can keep him out of the ICU!

Time to find my big covered coffee mugs and head down to work on which ever project grabs my attention this morning. I have a couple Christmas projects I want to get done today.. just appliquéing on some tea towels.

Did I tell you about the Janome Sewing Machine I bought from an ad on Facebook? $99. for a Janome MC something. :lol: :lol: :lol: Good thing I paid for it with PayPal... I never got it.. which really wasn't a surprise but I had to try. Anyway... it never came so I filed a claim with PP.... today I got a message that they have refunded my credit card! While I would have loved to have a fancier Janome... I'm good with a full refund! SO there's a little tip for you.... always use PayPal!

Wishing you all a Fabulous Friday

Return to “Sew ins”