Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday, October 9th

Daily discussions.
suzette58

Saturday, October 9th

Post by suzette58 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:45 am

Good morning everyone.
We have had nothing but rain all week. I am starting to mold. I am just about finished with hubby’s tractor quilt. Which brings up a question. When you are just about done with a top what do you do if your top is bigger then your design wall? I want to put it up so I can see what it looks like before I start quilting it. My next quilt is the animal quilt from Elizabeth Hartman. As well as the block of the month doing the Road Home. All this keeps me busy and out of trouble. Ha-ha. Well, I am off to get me 2nd cup of coffee. Have a great day.
Suzette

fabricgirl

Re: Saturday, October 9th

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:26 am

Good morning Suzette and all who follow,

Yesterday was a nice day we went to the orchard but to the store part where you pickup all the goodies well got some flavored coffee and cheese cider 🍩 when we were done with shopping we had lunch outside it was a nice day.
Today I will make a trip back to hobby lobby I need to get the backing for the black and white Gingham quilt also some fabric to finish off the dinosaur quilt

Suzette when the quilt is to big for the design wall I usually lay it out on the bed and take a picture of it this way you can study it better.
I hope that helps.

Well thats all the news for today I hope everyone has a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:31 am

Thanks Lois. That is what I usually do but was wondering if there was another way.
Suzette

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:28 am

Good morning!
Suzette, I've been running out of 2 design walls that are side by side and I just start running onto the floor LOL I take a good pic and then I have a reference in my phone to look at as needed.
Lois, I missed Hobby Lobby yesterday can you browse around for me too please? I hope you find just the right fabrics.
Today is Preston's birthday, he's 6!
I couldn't sleep again. I thought I would, I drove yesterday to Cruces and around and back, went shopping at Sam's and was totally tired when we got home and after getting everything repackaged and put away was exhausted. Could barely stay awake through the news, hit the hay and had a hard time getting to sleep and then woke up soooooo many times and was wide awake by 3, ugh...... I'm gonna need a nap before the party LOL I need to wrap presents this morning.
You all have a great day. Prayers for those in need.
Tina

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:34 am

Good morning Suzette and Lois. Suzette, I don't have a design wall (actually, never have). I have to use a bed or floor. Yes, taking pictures gives you another look and you can move things around, snap another picture and compare. Works good for me.
Lois. Never heard of cheese cider. Or did you mean, cheese, and cider. Sounds like a lovely day. I need a trip to a fabric store to find backing, too. Might get there next week.
I hope to start on my diaper covers today.
My fabric was delivered yesterday. It feels so soft and looks perfect as far as water repellent.
I am anxious to see how it sews. Wonder if elastic will sew in nicely, too.
My niece suggested a wider version if Velcro, so I might try sewing two strips side by side to make it double wide. That's why I made the rough draft sample and mailed it to her. We live three hours from each other, so not able to get together to discuss things.
Tina, so sorry for the restless night. Yes, nap for sure!

Time for more coffee ☕☕
Have a great day!
HUGS, 💕 Vel

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:14 am

Good morning it is cloudy and hazy we dont have any fires here and plenty of rain,,,We to feel like we might mold/ My parents used to say if we have lots of fall rain we wont get a lot of snow...Ken says we are in for a mild winter ( October and still 70s and 80 here) we are usually in the 50s and 60s by now..My take on it is this "Hi, Im Mother Nature...hold my beer and watch this!"
Well my friend who started her quilt, had 2 tiny puckers in the back....she was ok with that and went home thought about it and called to say she was taking all the quilting out and starting over (( about 1/4 into it) I said ok but It wasnt really bad and was on the edge..but once you take a quilt off the machine it is impossible to get it back on the same way. So she will come and get it and unstitch all the quilting ( she has no clue what a job that will be) Im not sure if she will bring it back or if she is done with machine quilting. I hate to be unkind but I am so done with this. ( it has alot to do with using inexpensive muslin for the backing that was terriblely wrinkled and even after ironing was very wrinkled...) I told her you get out of a quilt what you put into it. but I am hoping she doesnt bring it back...
I have a few more rows to sew together and my scrappy nine patch will be ready to quilt so it will all work out well..
I am doing fall cleaning this week so we shall see what gets done in the sewing room...right now I need more coffee and get in gear...hope you all have a great day,,,,,XXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOI dont have a design wall either but have a large bedroom floor area which I use....at my age Im not sure how long I will be able to get down on the floor and .lay out tops///I also use the space to layer quilts to check for backing and batting sizes.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:38 am

Morning
I also lay quilt on bed & take a pic.
Today it's mowing and helping Joe organize barn...yuk....
Flo

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:00 am

Good morning,

I was up late last night so slept late this morning. We had impromptu company for chili and cornbread last night so I had a dishwasher to empty when I got up and another load of dishes to wash.

I have a question about wool batting. I've never used it - we buy W&N by the 40 yd bolt right at the factory in Elma so that's what all my quilts are filled with. But I want extra warmth for my Alaska quilt for my brother. Has anyone here ever used Wool batting? Is it really extra warm? One or two layers? Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

SUZETTE - I don't have a design wall at all. Just a couple pieces of hard foam insulation I've covered with white flannel. I store them behind the quilting room door when not in use. For bigger projects I use my living room floor AFTER vacuuming well. For perspective, I stand on my 3-step ladder. I don't use our bed because our bedroom is downstairs (we have a split level house) and lighting is poor. Also, our bed has an extra layer of warmth - cat hair. And it's too high to get much perspective. Is your quilt a surprise for your hubby?

LOIS - cheese cider? Tree Top has a store in the middle of the orchards in central WA. I love it! They have everything from apple S&P shakers to apple flavored licorice, to stuffed apple toys. Oh, and juice! Fun to shop the shop!

TINA - you had a big day yesterday! I can't believe Preston is 6 yrs old! Seems not so long ago Jaz was only 4 and she was still an only child! Time flies! Happy Birthday to him! I slept well last night but had 3 sleepless nights before.

VELDA - happy diaper sewing! I was wondering the same thing about Lois's cider? cheese? Cider & cheese? lol! Since Bills degree is computer science and it was his career for 33 years, he does all the computer stuff in our house. I believe he sets updates to take place at night so they don't interrupt any work he is doing during the day. He also has them set to automatically back up every night.

JUDI - fall cleaning?? Weren't you listening to Chriss the other day?? She said, don't clean! Besides making you ugly, it's not fun. And some other reason that sounded pretty convincing to me! I kind of bet your friend doesn't bring that quilt back. I think she'd be much happier with her project if she got good quality backing and took it to a quilter.

CHRISS - sorry you've been sick but happy you are starting to feel better. Back in the beginning of Covid I thought I read that if you get your test done too soon it will read negative, that you need to be sick for a couple of days. Not sure if that's still true, or if it was true even then. But glad you are beefing up the immune system. I always feel better when I take vitamins. My walking friend is also very anti-vax. I just try to space myself away from her or walk in front or use Scottie as a spacer. But at least we both have the same political views! And maybe you are my elf. Maybe you're not. But if you are, I got you some great stuff at the church rummage sale we dropped in on!

SHERRY - sorry your storm spooked Smoke. Scottie doesn't seem much bothered by them, but then we don't get storms like storms I've seen in your area. But if one of us sneezes, he gets very worried and goes from one to the other of us, whimpering. goofy dog!

MARY Q - sounds like between Peg and Evie you could get into a lot of fun trouble! Hope YOU found some pretties, too! I certainly took good advanatage of the sales in the LQS I visited in Astoria! No sense in just one of us being poor now! :lol:

JANA - I hope your Michael is doing better today and will hopefully be home before the weekend is out. Have you been able to trace yet where he might have picked up the virus?

We don't have anything on our calendar today. Some friends just got back from a long flight and cruise around Greece and they want to get together. I don't think so. We will put them off another week. Even though we are vaccinated, we try to be careful to stay out of crowds and not hang with people who go happily into crowds. So I will be working on my Alaska quilt. And I hope DH will get my second Halloween swap quilt loaded. He finished the first one yesterday and I got the binding on. I will add the label this morning. I want to get these quilts to our grandsons ASAP.

So lots to do today, so I'd best get to it.

Cyber hugs to everyone!
Mary z
>^+^<

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:10 am

Ok I have to clear this up its cheese and cider donuts 🍩.

Lois

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:27 am

LOIS, thanks! I was wondering . . . Never head of cheese flavored cider or cider flavored cheese, but I was willing to give both a try! :lol:

Bills sister, who lives near the Warm Factory just texted me that there was a 3-alarm fire at the factory yesterday. In the cotton hopper. They said no one was injured but fire department stayed on scene for 3 hours. No batting was hurt during the fire. Whew!

Return to “Sew ins”