Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday September 29

Daily discussions.
WeSignificant

Wednesday September 29

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:22 am

Good morning world, going on 3 AM here. Wide awake after first visit of the night. Decided I would take an early lunch (3 am - 3:30 am) and catch up a bit here.

I am slowly getting some use out of the new machine. Thank God for youtube! I am finding YT easier to understand than the manual. Kinda busy today so may only get some cutting done. Need to get my homework done for my Fab 40 class. Need to get the last rounds of log cabins on and pick out fabric for next 2 blocks. Choosing fabrics are not my best skill. I do have the sewing room mostly in order. Still too much stuff in there but I can slowly work on that.

Lois I don't think I am doing any Halloween costumes this year. I have no little ones who will trick or treat or any thing like that and the others don't dress up. I see you are working on SS gift! Might that be me?
Grammie I would have been OMGing right there with you. I detest spiders. They must learn this is not their house but mine. They are all over outside this year.
Diane sounds like you are busy busy. How nice of DH to do that for the kids. I didn't think of under cabinet lighting when we redid our kitchen.
Maryz I have a lifelong project too. Just have never started it. One day maybe. I have all the fabric, etc to make a Dear Jane. I think I am overwhelmed by the project. Hope to get moving though on old stuff now that I have my own room.
Becca hope you found some good books
Jana would love to see some pics of your decorations. That is something I don't do much of anymore either. DH used to decorate for Halloween. Not sure why he likes it so much but hasn't done so in the last few years. He does a lot of the decorating at his job so maybe he is burned out on it.
Vel hope DH is feeling better.
Chriss we had a couple fall days but heating back up now. Into the 90's by the end of the week. That usually means even hotter for you.
Sharona how did the hair cut come out? I stay away from hair dressers, they always cut too much off.
Maryq $25 a yard! Yikes

Yesterday a friend brought over her friend who was having a quilting issue. Apparently back in the 90's sometime she took a class for a Christmas quilt. It was to teach techniques apparently but they forgot the one about making the blocks the right size. I suggested she put them together into table runners. They are anywhere from 13.25 inches to 15 inches. Just too much to get squared/lined up. Unless any of you have any ideas.

Working on a SS plan. Well trying too. I am a bit stumped this year. I found something in my shed stash a few days ago but no ideas since. I wish I could meet all of you in person, I think that would make things so much easier. Today I plan to reread the hints a bit closer.

Well my time is almost up, need to get a drink and visit the powder room, hoping to catch a few ZZ's. I have 2 patient's for home health in the morning and Dad has a doctor appoint this afternoon
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

grammiequilts

Re: Wednesday September 29

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:38 am

Good morning Valerie It is still dark here and since I live near the big airport the planes started their journey at about 5. I am so used to it I dont usually wake up but with the windows opened it seemed they were trying not to land in my back yard. And the street painters came by to put the lines on the road very early too. The perils of living on a the main street.
I have decided to sew today,,,made the executive decision not to do house work today. So that is where Ill be. hope everyone has a great day,XXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:50 am

Good morning Valarie,
So nice to see you on here so glad your getting to know your machine you tube is a great helper.
Today Bill and I have our chiropractor tuneup so thats what we will do.
After that I don't know what I will do I have all the dinosaur blocks completed so they will wait until next week when hobby lobby has a sale on fabric :lol: .
So I might start S S gifts I was reading something on line about slowing down the delivery of mail and costing more money.

Well thats all the news Everyone have a great day prayers go out to all.
Lois

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:53 am

Wow, Valarie, you really did give us all an early start! Some nights I feel like I wake about once each hour, but last night was a pretty normal night. Woke up at 5am. I have appointment with a foot doctor. No problems, just insist a yearly visit because of my diebetes. It's easy, fast money for him, but I should see that it's all about prevention. Got started a few years ago when I had a hair stuck in my foot causing lots of pain. Ever since that I have a yearly visit same with my eyes. They check for signs of damage from diabetes.
Yesterday I sorted patterns, fabric, notions, etc.
I still need more organization, but I think I will try to sew more on piano key borders.
I have to do more thinking about SS. Can't make up my mind on my gift yet.
Hi, Lois, I guess I doubled with you. Your working on on SS, too. I want to do mine early because if the slower mailing. It's a great idea for us to mail early this year.

Not much else here. I need more coffee. 🤗
HUGS, 💕 Vel

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:27 am

Hello Judi and Velda sorry I collided with yous
And it's nice we are all sewing today but I found wash I have to do also trust me it will all get done today :lol:

Have a good day.
Lois

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:00 am

Good morning everyone sun is trying to peek thru
Yesterday we ran into town to pick up DHs new glasses They called close to closing time He has been using glasses with 1 lens since his broke 2 was ago
I hope there’s no trips on tap today I have to go tomorrow for shots & groceries
It’s cleaning day here
Valerie You sounds like a train that doesn’t stop Do take a breather along your way
Lois Sure hope DH gets better so you can see your DGS Tell him Thank you for me That’s a big sacrifice they make for us
Velda You are wise to keep check on your feet & eyes With being diabetic
Judi Glad you get a sewing day Enjoy
I better get moving if I expect to finish & get walk in too Have a great day everyone Becca

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:51 am

Good morning,

VALERIE - If I had your beautiful hair, I wouldn't go to a salon either! I'd be snipping those ends by myself and probably wear it in a braid, depending on what I was doing. Having been your Elf last year, I know whoever you are sewing for this year is in for a wonderful treat! When I have blocks of various sizes, I add a border to the smaller ones if I can't trim the bigger ones. Depending on the blocks, I either try to match the border to the block and hope it doesn't really show or I use a different fabric like a frame. Tell me more about your Dear Jane. You have the fabrics? What are they like? I did all scrappy for mine. And mine took me four years. I LOVE it! For the first 3 years it was my travel project so I wrote on each page the date, place we were, weather, and if any news of the day. It sort of became a journal. Fair warning, I was calling it Crazy Jane before I was finished. Carole V. did one about the same time. In fact, I believe she is the one who named mine Crazy Jane! lol!

LOIS - I was eyeballing my laundry basket this morning, too. I don't think it's ripe yet, but I'll be doing at least a load of darks tomorrow.

JUDI - I don't mind spiders, though I prefer they live in their own houses. However, it's fall and they are moving in. After reading your post yesterday I popped into the shower and as I started the water there was a big one showering with me. I kept my eye on him and I think he kept his on me. I don't think he survived our shower. A few years ago while camping in Texas we saw Foxy playing with something outside the trailer. I looked more closely and saw it was a tarantula. Now THAT was fascinating! But we relocated him into the woods and we all live happily ever after. Except for Foxy who seemed bummed to lose his playmate. I make the decision not to do housework almost every day! lol!!

MARY Q - To sash or not to sash. That is always the question. If I want the blocks to stand out, I sash. If I want a bigger quilt, I sash. If I want to get rid of a particular piece of fabric, I use it to sash. If I want to accent the recipient's favorite color (if I know it) I sash (with that color). So what did you end up choosing to sew yesterday?

SHARONA - How did the haircut turn out? I love it - taranchuladas! lol! I'm not sure what a wolf spider is. We have a few biggies here and I'm told even black widows though I've never seen one. We have daddy long legs (I've been told they are poisonous but can't really bite because their long legs don't let their mouths reach anything to bite), and brown recluse, too, which I'm told are worse than the black widows but they are - well - reclusive. I wouldn't know one if I ever saw it though. Maybe I should study up.

CHRISS - I wouldn't have been able to pass up such a sweet deal as all those quilt patterns either. You could always just try one block of the Halloween BA. See if it drives you crazy. One block might make a nice table topper. I have a pattern for a BA, too, (though no fabric) that I bought many years ago. I keep thinking 'maybe one of these days'. But there's always something else on the list that catches my eye. I think I even have Eleanor's BA book as well. I saw your fun potholders in the Teaser thread. How festive for the season!

VELDA - I hope you get to see your grandson. How far is AZ from you? Might make a nice trip. Where in AZ will he be stationed? Lot of military near Yuma, I know but I think there's also a base near Tucson, isn't there?.

JANA - I remember my kids always helping to decorate for holidays. In fact, I remember when I was little being excited to decorate for Christmas. My sister and I would fight to see who got to carry the box down from the attic. and yes, it was just one large box but oh, the excitement that box held!

BECCA - Did you get all those errands done? I'm an errand weenie. Two stops and I'm done for the day. Yesterday I had 4 errands but ended up stopping by the UPS store THREE times! Once to pick up our mail, once to mail a card I'd forgotten to put in the mail drop, and again to pick up a package for DH. He received a notice on his phone that it was delivered right after I left so I turned around and went back. The clerk looked up, saw me, and said, "You again??"

DIANE - nice of you all to do those things for the kids' house. Is it your kids or your grand kids that are moving in soon? I've never really figured out who The Kids are. When I have a chunk of fabric bigger than 2 yds, I write the measurement on a little paper and pin it to the fold of the fabric so I can see at a glance how much I have. But when you get over 100 yards at a crack, your storage system is probably different than mine. lol!

Today is my DD and DSIL's 32nd anniversary. Those two met at ages 9 and 12. She thought he was her cousin for a long time because he was always at my brother's house whenever we visited. By ages 12 and 15 she realized he was a BOY! By 14 & 17 they were smitten and married at 18 and 21. They are still smitten with each other at 50 and 53.

This morning I have chiropractor and will stop by and get the mail because we got a notice of yet another package! lol! Glad we live in a small town where everything is close. I think it's the last of the Halloween swap blocks. Hooray! If it is, I'll be going out again to the post office to mail everyone's blocks to them. I'm also pulling fabrics for more LOTR blocks. I'm going to take some with me to work on while camping. We leave Friday morning and will be gone for a week. But I may have time today and tomorrow to do one or two blocks before we go. 18 down, 22 to go. When I finally get to putting this beast together, the fabric that Drew brought will make excellent borders and there is enough for pillowcases, too. So the project is growing. The quilt I also want to get started on for my brother is called Alaskan Silhouette Sampler by Brenda Henning. I bought the pattern in Kenai, AK in 2006, made it in 2011 for us, and now will make it again for him. I'm excited about both of these projects and can't wait to hit the sewing room every single day!

Piece!
mary z

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:31 am

Imagehttps://i.postimg.cc/7LHsBqyd/FB-IMG-1632701994857.jpg

Morning. Heading home tomorrow. Here is puc of baptism on Sunday.
Flo

womster

Post by womster » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:38 am

Good morning!

Valerie – what a lovely visit with you this morning. We barely decorate since moving out to the country – no one sees it but us. My hair cut came out fine, thanks. I’ve been going to her for 35 years so she knows what I want. I also detest bugs – we have outside spiders that keep the house covered in webs. I used to try to keep up with them, but they come and redo their webs overnight so I only clean them when company that uses the front door is coming. I also read that hummingbirds use them for their nests. If that is the case, we could supply hundreds with raw material! I’m also working on a SS plan. I hope you’re not too tired today.

Judi – what a brilliant executive decision! I second it.

Lois – I agree about the YouTube videos. We have figured out so many things that way. Hope your tune-up goes well.

Vel – ouch a hair in your foot sounds very painful. I also have those same two visits to schedule. Mailing early is a great idea.

Becca – I bet your DH was thrilled to have glasses that actually work again. I hope you get to stay home today as well.

Maryz – haha – I’m with you on the housework. The haircut was lovely. I always stop at Chipotle's on the way home - order by phone prior to leaving the hairdresser's house. I could NOT get the order to go through - long story short - they were short on staff and had to shut off internet ordering. Sad. Poor Foxy – losing her playmate that way. What a beautiful 32 anniversary story. Happy anniversary to them. Have fun at the chiro and I hope the mail people don’t get sick of seeing you! I’ll have to find you a picture of a wolf spider. They carry their babies on their backs – so when you see one that really shines, it’s all those baby eyes staring back at you. YUCK.

Today I am headed out to make masks for two of the OH granddaughters. I should do some housework, as I’ve been MIA the last two days. I’ll probably sweep and mop the kitchen floors and call it good. I can’t believe it’s nearly the end of September! Have a glorious day. xoxo Sharona

ok it grossed me out too much to post the picture, but for those of you who want to see a wolf spider, here's the link:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/wol ... gLQB_D_BwE

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:47 am

Hello from Hays America (as DD2 calls it)
Left Missouri yesterday, about a 300 mile drive to here. All is well. Get a couple days hugging kids, then on to the house in Colorado. Chriss I will give extra hugs to Maddox, from you. He is growing up too fast.
I need to go back and read what is going on in your lives.
Lyn

Return to “Sew ins”