Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tuesday, May 25th

Daily discussions.
WeeOne

Tuesday, May 25th

Post by WeeOne » Tue May 25, 2021 5:46 am

Rise and Shine! Time to get on the road.
Have a wonderful day!
Lyn

auntjana

Re: Tuesday, May 25th

Post by auntjana » Tue May 25, 2021 6:07 am

Good morning!

We are shining here! The sun is peering through some very dirty windows! Yesterday I got alot accomplished. I have had a ironing pile of dresses and shirts staring at me for awhile. It took a whole bottle of Best Press, but they are all done and hung up away in the closet. I have enough dresses to last me for almost a month of Sundays, so I can go for awhile and not where the same one twice!

Our handyman caught a cold, so didn't come yesterday, so we will see what happens today. My to do list is to start washing the carpet. It takes a beating through the winter and needs it! I need to make it last until next year, before I get new. I got caught in my scheming with the laundry room. Good thing, Michael said my plan for using wood for the chair rail wouldn't work, because of the stupid corner beads on my sheetrock. Instead of nice sharp corners, the corners are rounded. So I punted the wood chair rail and found a fun wallpaper border that will work great. Bends around corners. It's ordered, so now I wait. Also ordered some fun prints for in there and a old fashioned washboard for the wall.

Sewing is still not a option, with stuff, not sewing in my way.

Hugs,
Jana

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Tue May 25, 2021 6:20 am

Good morning Safe travels Lyn.
I have a lot to do today, Working on a baby quilt for the GGbaby, I realized I needed to get that done She is looking like she wont wait till July. I did cut out the sew in block and will try to get that done along with some laundry and sheet changing, I usually do the sheets on monday but didnt yesterday. A friend called and needed to come over and talk...She is getting a divorce...that's the second friend who's marriage has disintegrated and failed...She has been married 17 years,,,she is the one initiating the divorce he is verbally abusive and seems only wants someone to do laundry and clean house.. so here I am . behind again,
well coffee has been drank and these chores arent going to get done by themselves...hope all of you are having a great day,,,My word of the day(month year!!) is Love....Have enough of it Give enough of it. XXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue May 25, 2021 6:45 am

Good morning,

TINA - thank you for the Comfort Quilts post. Since it's a forum-wide project, I'm sure everyone appreciates hearing how it's going and what we need. I added a few more details. Hope that was OK. Hope your dad is feeling better. The chemo shots seem to be doing their job, which, hopefully, helps to make the side effects worth while.

LYN - be safe on the road! Is it about 400 miles? Do you do that in one or two days?

JUDI - It's nice for your friend that she has a good friend she feels safe to confide in. You are doing good work by listening to her. I hope those chores go quickly for you so you can settle down in your sewing room. Any more progress on your basement?

JANA - That's a lot of dresses! I have 3 and rarely wear any of them. I also have a few skirts that don't get worn too often. I love dresses but usually the fanciest places I go are Safeway and campsites with electricity. So my usual "uniform" is jeans and tees. Sorry your handyman got sick, but no one wants a sickie in their house these days!

CHRISS - you found some good deals on your thrift-shopping expedition! I did, too. I got lots of books, fabric (2-1/2 yd for $5), 5 shirts, a steamer for my dutch oven, emergency roadside triangles, 2 purses, and a wallet. Most are gifts for my sisters' birthdays/Christmas. A 2-foot gnome will go to our Oregon friends we are going to visit next month who love gnomes. (I gave them the Norm & Nannette gnome quilt I made last winter). When my sis visits here in August, we'll go out on a day long expedition. It's our entertainment. We're easily amused. :D

SHARONA - I DID have fun at the thrift store! (see my above message to Chriss! :D ) The fridge I mentioned yesterday - it's our garage fridge. The Energy Star denotation means that it's meant to conserve energy and the brilliant engineers decided that if it's 50* outside, we don't need the extra refrigeration so it is designed to shut off, thus saving us electricity. Never mind that it cost us an entire freezer full of food! We went back to the store and the salesman and his department supervisor both claimed they did not realize what this feature would do (though we doubted that was true. :x ) We found out by calling the company who manufactured the fridge. And they were happy to sell us a kit to install to override that feature. Weather prognosticators are saying this year's hurricane season will be "more active". I wonder what they say, if anything, about tornadoes! Glad you are OK.

MARY Q - I do that, too, occasionally - hit the wrong key and it all goes *POOF*! But it usually (not always!) comes back if I hit ctrl, alt, and z simultaneously. A trick my resident computer guru taught me.I think I'll get to this week's (and last week's :oops: ) sew-along blocks today. Thanks. I like the blocks you are choosing.

SHERRY - I think it's simply a fact of life that we all accumulate stuff through life. I purge every year but it doesn't help a lot.

SUZETTE - good to hear you are almost done with the braid quilt. Quilting on your regular machine is a back/neck/shoulder breaker. And I love it when I'm actually asked to do a quilt. If it's someone I really want to do a quilt for.

Today I'm going to clean both bathrooms and then do those two sew-along blocks. And some more 4-1/2" stars. I found even more errors in the pattern yesterday. I'm not sure what the pattern tester at McCall's magazine was thinking, but I was better at math in second grade than she (he?) is now! They show a 20x20 block setting in the picture and came up with 225 blocks required. Wouldn't that be 400? And the little squares and other pieces they say to cut don't work out to make 225 blocks, let alone 400. I'm loving these little blocks but this quilt may end up being a lot smaller than originally planned!

And insert bummed face here - I have to cook tonite. I've been coasting on leftovers but I guess I'll be tying on an apron and making salisbury steak with mushroom gravy and a baked potato. Bill will be surprised and happy, I'm sure! Though probably less so when he sees the broccoli I'm also planning. :lol:

Make your day a good one!
mary z

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Tue May 25, 2021 7:13 am

Good morning all! Another very hot day here in Ohio. Will be staying in and sewing. Want to get my cross stitch project done so I can start the next one. It is a very large 20 x 24 inch picture of a Southern Plantation with Southern Belles in the yard. it is very beautiful. I am sure the " Woke culture" people will say I am a racist. Tough crap! It is a pattern I love.

Also still working on sorting pictures and old files. So much fun. Need to fill my car up this afternoon before the Memorial Day price rise starts even though not going anywhere. I stay home on most holidays and let the "crazy" drivers on the road. Only place going is to put the flowers on the graves on Friday.

Well, better go get some breakfast. Getting hungry. Having "Shit On A Shingle" this morning. It is one of my favorite breakfasts.

Hope everyone has a good day and stay cool.

Sherry

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue May 25, 2021 8:05 am

Good Morning Girls

Nice sunny bright day here this morning... windows open for now.. though I have a sneaky feeling I'll be closing them up to turn on AC by later this afternoon... High of 85* predicted.

Lyn..... Wishing you safe and happy travels today!!!

Jana.... Say it isn't so... you have dirty windows too? :lol: :lol: My front living room faces east... so every morning I have this beautiful view (not mountains like you tho) of the trees across the street from me.. I just imagine how beautiful they would really look if I washed the windows! :lol: :lol:

Judi... Thank you for being there for your friend... as some one who has "been there, done that" I know she needs all the love and support she can get. Even though it put you behind on your stuff... in the end... all that matters is that you were there for a friend in need...

Maryz.... Man you sure made a haul at the thrift store! When Michele was here, we hit one and I found a couple pretty blouses.... for the rare special occasion ... mostly I'm in sweats, shorts and tee's too. I don't think I own a dress or skirt. I did try the trick to bring back my post.. but didn't remember the ALT part... I'm sure it will happen to me again!

Sherry... Every time I go into town from my house, I drive by the cemetery.... this time of year it is full of flowers and flags and decorations. My folks are at Fort Snelling which is right near the Minneapolis Airport.. I'd love to go down there. but this weekend it will be crazy crowded.

Today I'm headed out to pick up a few groceries... no bread, no peanut butter in the house. Will probably make a run to WM and pick up some new shorts for me too... I have the world's ugliest legs, so I only wear shorts around the house... never in public UGH! (besides, I'd have to shave my legs ) :lol: :lol:

Wishing you all a Terrific Tuesday... with lots of prayers and happy thoughts for Kathy, Cindy & Don, Garry, any all in need.

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue May 25, 2021 10:50 am

Good morning everyone!
Safe travels Lyn!
Judi, you are so appreciated ❤ we all need someone sometimes.
Jana, you did get a lot accomplished! I'm not an ironing person myself.... unless it's quilt related LOL
Maryz, oh yes that's fine for the input, I'm glad you did ❤ You always find such cool deals on your thrift shopping trips, cool beans. Yes, Dad's chemo is doing the trick but it sure is rough on him at times but way better than the alternative ❤❤
Sherry, your cross stitch sounds beautiful! I couldn't help but laugh at your "woke culture" comment LOL you took the words right out of my mouth.
Maryq, I don't wear shorts in public either.... people would run in fear if I did or call a dr!
Easton's computer was turned in this morning so he's using mine for the last few things. Jazmyne's will be turned in tomorrow and we will plan a celebration lunch with the kids.... we always do something special to celebrate the end of school here.
I think I'll grill a chicken breast and make a big salad for supper.
Have a great day!
Tina

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue May 25, 2021 11:03 am

2 hours, master bedroom carpet is done and so am I! Rest and then I will do another section - I divide the carpet in sections, hard to do with arthritis otherwise.

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Tue May 25, 2021 11:31 am

Good afternoon I was here this morning but there was an open post yet and I wasn’t ready to sit down and chitchat just yet so I’m back now

Mary DH his hand the first layer of skin is all peeled off and there’s one spot on his hand that the second on into the muscle it didn’t go all the way down it just went through the facia it’s a really really bad so we’re watching him really treating it his arm is almost healed all the spots that were burned on it those were just first-degree just took off the first layer. His foot is healing the top of his foot was just first layer but his second toe was second-degree where it took off into the muscle and a little bit deeper on one little spot so that one’s taking a little bit longer to heal but overall he’s doing really good. He went back to work this week he’s been off for two weeks because he couldn’t even dress himself because of the bandages for so many men now he’s doing so much better. He leaves the house looking like a mommy on his hand in his foot he hast to wear a house shoe because he can’t wear a shoe yet due to the bandages

It’s been in the 90s here hot supposed to rain for the next three days so we really need it it’s kind of like a mini drought
I’ve been in my sewing room I got my top put together with the borders for my 2015 eL‘s attic quilt that I was working on so there’s a UFO put together it’s getting ready to go on the long arm to be quilted
I’m still watching the boy five days a week right now because mom is in training for her new position for the next month and then she’ll go back to regular schedule of four days
Delaware schools in June 11 so I still have two more weeks after this week

So nothing else new here still dealing with the sciatica it goes from one hip to the other so right now it’s in my left hip a few days ago it was in my right hip so I start off the morning feeling pretty good and then by this time in the afternoon I am not moving too well

Well got to get back to the computer get one group left then little man and I are going to the pool he wants to go swimming he got a cow raft for his birthday so we’re going to go blow it up and put it in the pool

Hugs 🤗 prayers 🙏 happy stitching 🧵
🐐izzy

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue May 25, 2021 3:14 pm

What's new? my position at work has been eliminated. One other girl and my self are no longer essential. I have to say I am sort of glad.

I will be getting a severance check tonight via FedEx. Tomorrow I will fill out the unemployment insurance paperwork. I called the place that handles my 401K and found out there is a 55 and up rule that says I can start collecting my retirement at 55 ( I'm 57) any time and not pay the 10% early withdraw fee due to Covid. There are some other tax advantages that I need to talk to a tax person about.

When I saw the email that I had a conference call this morning I asked God to make it what he wanted it to be. After I shut down the work computer I logged onto facebook and our little hospital is having nurses assistant training starting in August. I may check into it. Or I may just check into something retail around town, who knows. I really don't want to start to take out my retirement now.

Our only issue will be medical insurance. My company will pay for mine thru September and in September Jerry will get medicare. I will be out of luck for a while.

Jana, sometimes getting caught is a good thing. I bet the border will be really pretty.

Lyn, safe travels.

Judi, I think Love is a great word for you. Love is compassion and you are full of sincere compassion. Your friends are blessed that you take the time to lend them a shoulder. You are a kind lady.

Maryz, I would love Salisbury steak with all the trimmings. Bill might not mind the broccoli so much if you made it loaded, bacon and cheese. yummy. Sorry the pattern you are working on is a confuser, but you will get it, you like figuring things out. Sorry about the freezer. Im often telling Jerry we don't need that freezer we have in the garage.

Sherry, I bet your cross stitch of a plantation is beautiful. It also sounds very time consuming.

Maryq, I don't own a dress or skirt either. And I have started wearing shorts that go just past my knees. But I only wear them when I go on a walk or around the house. I did order some hangers with clips on them so I can hang these shorts and my pants, that way I don't have the crease across the knee. did you end up selling everything you took to that yard sale? did you bring any treasures home?

Tina, the kids will remember the end of school do something fun tradition. enjoy.

Izzy, your blow up a cow in the pool story made me chuckle.

Well, I think I will go play in my room. I have a spiral notebook and am making a todo list.

Hope you all have a blessed rest of the day.
Chriss
Exodus 33:14

Return to “Sew ins”