Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SATURDAY April 3rd

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

SATURDAY April 3rd

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:23 am

good morning it is still cold here...heat is on. today Ken will work on DD kitchen and I will stay home and sew, Might go over there later if Im needed. The quilt blocks are coming together,,,I had to recut a few pieces but it will get done...I found a ruler in my stash of rulers that will make the star blocks a lot easier,,,It was given to me in a box of quilting stuff and I never used it, I had to youtube it, well I need to get us breakfast,,,and coffee...hope you all have a great day,XXXXXXXXOOOOOOOO

FlorenceM

Re: SATURDAY April 3rd

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:57 am

Morning Grammie and all to follow

Contractors finished early and looks great. Today Joe will go in with paint sprayer and paint.

I am still working on cleaning up downed trees

Flo

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:02 am

Good beautiful morning, it's going to be a warm one today. and it's the prelude to Easter.

Easter dinner here will be just me and Jerry. Ham, asparagus and cauliflower (mac) n cheese. simple and delicious.

Today I go color eggs with the boys next door and bring them their Easter baskets. I make their holiday gifts exactly the same except for the colors. and they get a toy car or truck in each gift. they love cars and trucks. The older boy turns 7 in a couple of weeks and Jerry will make his cake.

This morning a friend will come over and we will square up her quilt. She made a tossed 9 patch. I have a couple of quilt tops that need sandwiching too.

My final today plan is to wash and hang all quilts on the line. we use them all winter and they need to be washed before they are put in the hope chest until next winter.

Maryz, I am hoping our Michaels gets real fabric. and I am so glad your brother got home safe, tell him I said he should stay put until summer hits. I am always anxious about driving a long distance but once I get there it's no big deal. there are just things like picking a route ( only two to choose from) and then there is all the what if's. It's just a hurdle and I always come through.

Valerie, Glad DS made it there safely and it's nice that dad goes with you to visit the kids at the Delta. and really nice that the care giver left an extra lunch for him. This care giver seems to be working, I pray it lasts. PS. I also agree that Marilyn living her for those short 7 years helped her greatly. Heaven only knows where she would be today with out a little structure. I'm happy to say she is a kind and appreciative young lady. She has crazy colored hair and at 18 has gotten a tatoo and has some strange, in my opinion, piercings. She is also a very sweet, when around adults, young lady who I am quite proud of.

Maryq, I'd like to see the rug, and very cool that your placemats will match.

Lori, I will be rocking out to the radio on my drive. I know it's silly, I just get anxious. The outcome is always positive, and I can't think of anything else I get anxious about. Sorry your mom's dementia is getting worse. It must be really hard on your dad. All those years they have been married and then to have to possibly have to give her alternative care. His world will get really quiet if she is moved out of the home. I really feel for him. Love potato salad, and its so hard to make a small batch. Grandma always boiled her potatoes with the skin on ( no poking needed :lol: ) then peeled them after they cooled, she said it added flavor.

I did learn, at the age of 57, how to successfully peel a boiled egg. Smack the flat end of the egg on the counter and peel from the bottom up. For those of you who already knew that, please start sharing these secrets for those of us who are clueless.

Dang it, all because of Lori I am thinking potato salad made with cauliflower. Ugh.

You girls have a marvelous Saturday and a wonderful Easter.

Chriss
Psalm 91

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:44 am

Good morning,

JUDI - glad you found a ruler that works for you. Now you will whip through those stars. Have you tried a tree yet?

FLO - Is the end in sight?

CHRISS - I never knew that about peeling eggs. Thanks for sharing. I promise to test it out tomorrow and pass on that tip. I do know that older eggs peel much better than fresh eggs. And I agree with everyone else - I think YOU saved Marilyn during the time when she needed it the most. YOU are the reason she is on the right track now. YOU are the reason she is happy. It's all YOU.

LORI - how was the wine tasting party? Was it blind? Ironically, sometimes blind tastings can really open your eyes and make you see. I feel for your family as your mom's dementia gets worse. My SIL went through the rage stage during which time she was very mean to my brother, who had such loving patience with her. Also a stage of wearing her underwear on the outside of her clothes, 2 bras because she had 2 boobs, and coming out of public bathrooms naked. There is a book, Creating Moments of Joy by Jolene Brackey, that is an excellent resource and explains what is going on (as far as they know). A friend going through the same thing recommended it my DB and he told me about it. My sister and I both bought a copy. It is very informative, written from personal experience, with love, patience, and humor.

JANA - So, do you plan to let Michael be surprised as furniture starts appearing on your deck? lol! Yesterday we went to Costco because we were out of milk - our signal that it's time for a Costco run. And right inside the door they had a set of patio furniture all set up for us to test out. So comfortable! But we resisted, went home, and then actually LOOKED at our stuff, culled from garage and rummage sales and friends' cast-offs for the last 30 years and realized how scruffy it is. We deliberated all of an hour and found ourselves back at Costco loading that patio furniture into the back of our truck! Decadent of us, but we do live on our deck 5 months a year, or so we rationalized.

SHARONA - I hope your power stays on now for you! Before you know it, you'll need AC!

MARY Q - Sounds like your outing for $2/# fabric was interesting if not fruitful for quilting fabric. But you found some goodies anyway! and yes, for research purposes only, of course, check out your Michaels and see if they now have a quilting department.

VAL - I hope all your Easter plans with family work out for you. Do you have a wheelchair for your dad for going out on excursions? Perhaps trying to walk much is what is exhausting him?

Yesterday, in between spending wheelbarrow loads of money, I cleaned the entire upstairs of the house (living/dining/kitchen/sewing/quilting/office/bathroom) and did 4 loads of laundry. Today I will do the lower level, help DH put together new furniture and take old off the deck (full staircase to the ground), and go to the grocery store for ingredients for fruit salad for dinner tomorrow. I havent turned my sewing machine on for 4 or 5 days :shock: . I'm starting to get diaphoretic and develop twitches . .

What is everyone planning for Easter? We had no plans at all, but then on Wed we checked with some friends and they didn't either so we are having them over for ham & scalloped potatoes and then we'll play some games - probably Racko or Mexican Train. I may even devil some eggs!

Piece!
mary z

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:52 am

Good morning!

Church starts in a little bit. General Conference. Looking forward to this.

Not much new here. Michael is now fully vaccinated- his two week wait is completed. Mine is Wednesday! I pinned a wall hanging ready to quilt and reali that I needed to do some embroidery work, eyes and legs on some baby chicks in the wall hanging. So of course , I have none! Wednesday, hurry up! Still need to get my quilt 9n my LA. Also need to hang a picture and flower arch in my bedroom.

Valerie - are you going to ride "the Real McCoy"? My kids loved to do that as we drove up through the delta to visit great grandparents in Sacramento. We never used I80, unless we absolutely had too. In the summer, my boys, as scouts, camped on Sandy Beach on the weekend.

Well, time to get dressed and get my day going,

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:53 am

Good Morning Girls!

Tis a nice sunny morning here... and as usual I should have gotten out of bed when I woke up earlier... but oh well... It's Saturday right... a gal can sleep in on Saturday!?

Judi.... Ain't it fun to find a new ruler... anything that makes quilting life easier! There's a gal in the town next to me that is selling off some quilting supplies on FB, and I've picked up a few new rulers I'm itching to try... A Fons and Porter curved thingee set... and one of El's Hex rulers with the pattern for a table runner! Any guesses how long it will take me to get to THAT????

Flo... .Sounds like that house will be ready for occupants pretty soon! Once it's all painted... then things can move right along.. floors next?

Chriss.... Did I miss it? Are you driving up to see Mar? I kind of like to drive too, but not so much in the dark. I'll text you a pic of the rug... I did get the matching fabric cut for placemats yesterday, but that's as far as I got... the squirrels were running around in my sewing room... 10 different things going on at the same time.

Maryz....Sometimes you just have to take the plunge... You just know you will enjoy that new furniture for years and won't it be fun to have all matching stuff. Here I felt decadent getting new drinking glasses. :lol: :lol:

Normally today will be my chore day... but since there's nobody here that holds me to it... I think I'll play today. Nobody is coming for Easter dinner, so I'll probably just pull some odd left over from the fridge.

I have been sitting on some happy news for a while, but I think I'm safe in telling you all now! I'm so excited I can't hardly stand it... it's been hard to keep it to myself

My Canadian kids are coming HOME!!! for GOOD! As of yesterday they had an offer on their house (it listed on Thursday). The offer is contingent, so it will be a few days before we hear if it's solid or not. BUT MY BABIES ARE COMING HOME!!!! So now I really have to get to work and clear out my 3 downstairs bedrooms to make room for them. It will likely be early June before they get here.. the plan is for Tom, Viv and I to fly up to Great Falls, Montana and meet them there to help drive home. Shawn will drive the U-Haul, Kris will drive the pick up pulling the horse trailer (they have 2 horses) and Brennen will drive the car. So we'll help them drive all those vehicles home. They will stay with me until they find a place of their own. Kris would really like a place with a couple acres and a barn so they can keep their own horses.

My BFF is flying in on April 14.... little does she know that she gets to help me pack up fabric! I am so looking forward to seeing again after 18 years..... We are just going to have so much fun..

Anyway... I suppose I better get going... definitely need more coffee

Just got a text from one of my Brothers..... Today is BLAST OFF day... 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
so I'm going to blast off and get to work!

Happy Easter Everyone

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:05 am

Good morning girls

Still babying my back . Chiro popped me yesterday and worked on ribs (he thinks has issues) I possibly tore the muscles in that area. Otherwise I am good to go.
Yes I will fix deviled eggs tomorrow. I am purchasing some potato salad just do not need how much my recipe makes. I am thinking about making a peach dump cake or a small cheesecake . Not having company . so not fixing a feast LOL
I took the time Thursday to cut my hair and it looks so much better. The only other thing I have to report is one of my sew along blocks had to be redone. LOL It helps to read directions. I will be so glad to get the sew along going Monday. I want to see your blocks as we go along.
I was out getting ready to plant a few potatoes and a row of onions tomorrow. They need planted in dark of moon. which is now until next full moon. Also need to transplant a few irises. This week is going to be busy.
Judi I have a stash of rulers some I have never used. Some day I tell myself.LOL
Maryz And why is your brother still on the road. Wow I would be worried sick if mine took a road trip like that.
O Chriss I have panic attacks if I do not know where I am going. I do fine once I make the trip without problems. But driving in Peoria Illinois no way same goes for La.
Well I need a coffee and get to sewing room to finish the block I had trouble with.
O I live in central time zone so will start noon my time
You all have a great sewing day
Katy

O Mary that is great news.

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:40 am

Good morning everyone!

Grammie I had to get up last night and turn the heat on too. Cooling off for the weekend.
Flo I guess I missed how those trees got to be downed trees?
Chriss I will be trying that method for eggs! I have never heard of it either.
Lori sad to hear about your Mom. It is so hard when the parents get on in years and need more help. Dementias really just add to the difficulties. I am not sure at what point I will place my Dad.
Mary I do have a wheelchair but nobody here to load it for me unless Andrew is here. I am still debating. It would be nice for him to see family but also stairs to the cabin, the w/c issue, it will exhaust him and then make higher risk for him to fall. I may just make a small dinner for us.
Jana No they are camping the other way at B & W Resort and Lighthouse which is over the bridge. We used to ride it all the time though. Snug Harbor where we used to stay is now Private and not in our camp package anymore. My scouts camped at Sandy Beach too!

Well Dad is up!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

womster

Post by womster » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:44 am

Good morning!

Judi – our heat is also on in the morning – this weekend we are supposed to be in the 70s. Glad you found something to help with the quilt.

Flo – yay that the drywall is done.

Chriss – I know you and the boys will have a blast today. Does Jerry share his cauliflower mac and cheese recipe? I agree with what has been said about you and Jerry’s influence on Marilyn. You stepped up and made a huge impact in her life.

Maryz – I am very grateful your bro made it home ok. Congrats on the new outside furniture! You and Bill are worth it. Easter will be just the two of us – Honey-baked ham, scalloped potatoes, salad, homemade rolls and homemade pies. I don’t care for eggs so Jim would be happy with whatever deviled eggs you can sling this way. I learned a new word today: diaphoretic!

Jana – your baby chicks will look so much better with eyes and legs.

Maryq – WOOHOOOO! I’m so glad they are coming home. Where will the horses be staying while they look for a place? And your BFF showing up in 11 days – it’s so good to be you.

Katy – sorry your back is paining you. I raked pine needles for maybe 10 minutes and my back was spasming horribly by the time I went to bed. Isn’t it amazing how a haircut can be so rejuvenating?

Valerie – that is a hard decision about whether to take your dad or not. I agree it’s probably better to err on the side of caution and not let him get exhausted.

Lori – I, too, am so sorry for your mom’s worsening dementia. What an awful and heartbreaking disease. I hope your wine time with friends was wonderful.

Today I need to continue on with some yard work. Yesterday's power fluctuations was caused by a car accident that took out a pole, but the wire was swinging in the breeze and reconnecting – fun! Everyone was thankfully ok. I have my crochet class at 3:30 – it is still kicking my butt. No sewing yet – I hope to get back to it next week. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:20 pm

Wine tasting was fun last night. Met some new people I will be seeing later this year at a retreat. Didn't do much today. Just relaxing.

Chriss, I bet dying eggs with the boys was fun.

Have a lovely evening.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”