Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday, March 20th

Daily discussions.
suzette58

Saturday, March 20th

Post by suzette58 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:19 am

Good morning and Happy first day of Spring!
I never got back here yesterday. We went and looked at flooring for our 2 upstairs bathrooms. We have linoleum in both but the finish that makes it shine is coming off and it is sticky. It drives me nuts. We are getting luxury vinyl tile that looks like wood. The guy is coming Wednesday to measure and finalize everything. Hopefully today I will get the labels made for my beach quilt and the legacy quilt. Maybe even get started on the braid quilt. We will see. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

MaryZ - the beach quilt is part panel and blocks. I got the instructions from McCall’s Quick Quilts magazine. I had to laugh when I looked at the date. It was from 2015.
Suzette

FlorenceM

Re: Saturday, March 20th

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:40 am

Morning Suzette and all to follow
Yesterday I had a burst of energy and went out working. We had several trees come down during ice storm. Joe pulled stumps with tractor but the roots sticking up and rocks on surface needed to be cleared. After that I went into sewing room and enjoyed my new chair.
Today I need to decorate 40 cupcakes for a neighbor. Each cupcake will look like a flower and together they will make a floral centerpiece.
Time for coffee.
Flo

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:46 am

Flo - I bet the cupcakes will be beautiful.
Suzette

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:34 am

Good morning,

SUZETTE - I'm betting your beach quilt is lovely! We are reflooring our main bathroom, too. And similar floor - vinyl planks that look like wood. I think they snap together and should be waterproof. The floor goes in March 29. Are you redoing anything else in the bath? We kept the tub as we had it refinished several years ago and it's seldom used, but everything else - vanity, toilet, sink, towel bars, wall cabinet, mirror, and paint - will be new.

FLO - Your cupcakes sound like they will be beautiful. What is the occasion? You've been working hard outside! Can you have a burning pile to burn those stumps where you live? We know a place near my brother's property where a guy took all his big stumps (and they are BIG - it's old time logging country) and lined them up along his property like yard art! How is the house coming along? and how is your sister doing with her BC?

LORI - your sew-fest sounds fun! Where was it held? I've been walking daily for about 25 years. At my peak, it was usually 4 miles, occasionally 6. eventually it was an even 2. But now it's about 1-1/2. My walking buddy has an old, slow dog and that's all she can handle. But we're still out there!

MARY ROSE - glad you got the X-Stitch pattern issues all settled and have a Rosebud-friendly printer. This will make that quilt extra special! How did your hematology appt go?

MARY Q - Fabric storage - what's under your bed looking like? If there is any empty real estate there you can always get those low totes and fill 'em up and slide 'em under! We stayed in a B&B in Rome once and the family had boxes of stuff piled floor to ceiling all along one whole wall of our room and then hung a sheet in front of everything! It worked! I'm not sure about my DWR backing. A fairly dark fabric since the front is dark - don't want any possible bleeding. Perhaps a dark gray . . Cotton TOT print, maybe. I back a lot of quilts with flannel, but that doesn't seem right for this one. Looking for a wide backing but I have time. I think. We are leaving Monday morning, probably about 9-ish. It's only a 2-1/2 hour drive We'll be back Sat, 27th, noonish. I believe Velda's son lives about 2 hours from their summer campsite.

VELDA - I bet it's nice to work in your old yard and I'm sure your son is VERY appreciative of your efforts! Hope the 'fix-it's on your fiver are few and quick to repair.

JANA - congratulations to your Aaron! You (and we) know he was outstanding in all he does, but it's sure nice to have your governor sit up and take notice! And nice to hear for someone who travels your major roads every few years! (that would be us. :D )

VAL - I'm glad you're getting some relaxing sewing time. Your Bohemia quilt will be gorgeous! What color fabrics are you using?

BECCA - so what kind of cake are YOU baking? I made silver white wedding cake recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook and froze it unfrosted. I'll frost it in camp. White with chocolate frosting is my favorite. We'll also be celebrating our friend, Tex's, birthday, and if he had baked the cake he could have chosen HIS favorite, whatever that might be! But he didn't. :D

JUDI texted me this morning. They finally got on the road yesterday morning and made it about 300 miles. This morning, they are closing in on Atlanta, hoping to make a lot more miles today. They are anxious to get home. She had bad internet and asked me to tell you all "Hey!" and let you know they were on the move!

CHICKIE texted me that she had a good doctor appt and all her tests are indicating thyroid issues. Now they are trying to fine tune her treatment of that. So hopefully there is light at the end of her tunnel.

Yesterday I baked oatmeal craisin walnut pecan chocolate chip cookies and froze most of them for our camping trip. I grocery shopped, did the laundry, and hit the Goodwill for first time in forever. I found several books, 1 white capris, 1 white jeans, 1 black pants, 1 pretty top, but the best thing was a Mickey Mouse cake pan for my younger sister's birthday. She LOVES the Mouse and I'm sending her a cake mix, can of frosting, and candles. This will complete the party portion of her gift. We call that a 'score' in the thrifting biz. :lol:

Today I'm going to pack most of the food for our camping trip and get my clothes organized. And maybe I'll search internet for a wide back. My machine is in the shop and my other machine is in the trailer, so no sewing. Gasp, choke, sweat! I think I'm having DT's! It's pouring rain here today so it's going to be an indoor day for sure.

Piece, ladies!

mary z

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:58 am

Good morning all! Not much going on today except basketball watching. The weather here is very beautiful for the first day of Spring. Today would have been my dad's 95th birthday. Still hard to believe he has been gone 39 years. My Dad always said since his birthday was on the first day of Spring he was a Spring flower. My Mom always said he was the last of a bad Winter. It was an ongoing family joke.

Got my first vaccine shot yesterday. No redness or soreness but did get very sleepy off and on last night. I have the date for my second shot already set. Took longer to get paperwork than the actual shot. Glad that it is done.

Since Ohio State lost last night my brackets are all shot already. I had them meeting my Michigan Wolverines in the finals. Sure hope my Wolverines don't get upset today. Enjoyed seeing Sister Jean at the Chicago-Loyola game and they won so will get to see her and the team again tomorrow.

Judi - So glad you got your truck fixed and are back on the road home. Drive safely.

Chickie - Glad your appointment went well. Now to get your thyroid issue taken care of.

Maryz - Sounds like you were very busy yesterday. Have a good camping trip.

Flo - 40 cupcakes to make. Boy are you ambitious. I am sure that they will be very beautiful and good.

Well, better go get some breakfast. Smoke and Sweetie are already fed and back to sleep already. Hope everyone has a good day. I am so far behind on who is sick and who is getting better. Will have to go back several days and read posts.

Sherry

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:01 am

Maryz,
Cupcakes are for my neighbors boy. He is getting married tomorrow.
Yes we can have burn piles out here. And as big as we get them, they are small compared to some of others we have seen.
Flo

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:44 am

FLO, big burns are now banned here but they used to be an event. Neighbors would gather, beers would be drunk, lots of raking, fire-poking, and hot dogs. But my brother, Jim, who owned a land clearing business would often have HUGE fires and he would park his RV close and he and his family would camp at his fires overnight with the dozer handy. I miss the fires.

SHERRY - Happy Birthday to your dad. Today is my oldest brother, Gene's 86th birthday. He is still trucking in Alaska. I'm going to call him later and I'll share the comments your parents swapped with each other! lol!

m
z

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:47 am

Good morning!

The wind is blowing fiercely and clouds look like rain any minute. We got the food donation out on the porch too. Hoping it won't blow away. It's a state wide food drive - Feed Utah - so all were asked to donate and here at my area, the primary children from the Ward are picking it up and taking it to the collection area. It will all end up at the Food Bank in SLC. Happy to share.

Also saw where it is World Quilting Day. So I will do my part with time in the Batt Cave. The story read, about bringing World Piece! :)

A good day to stay in ,
Stay Safe! Safe Travels and many prayers,
Hugs,
Jana

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:56 am

Good morning Everyone,
I thought I came on here already but I guess I didn't today we are celebrating 45 years and when we got married it was 91* outside.

I have already gone to Joanns I needed thread for applique on my quilt and they had buy3 get 3 free then I tried 20%off and it wouldn't come up for the additional oh well.

Well thats my story for today happy quilting.
Lois

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:46 am

Good Morning Girls

Learned a valuable lesson last night I thought I'd share.... Don't take 2 Tylenol PM's try just one first. Man did I sleep! Felt pretty good though, that here it is 1030 and I woke up at 10.. 1/2 the day is gone!

Suzette.... As I've been cleaning and rearranging things around here... and going through my notebooks full of patterns.. would you believe some are from 2008! I mean seriously, if I haven't made ANY of the patterns by now... time to get rid of them!!! I did keep a few... but who needs 30 notebooks full of patterns!

Flo... Every so often I get a burst of energy... but not like yours! OMG you were a busy girl working outside and then still sewing! Any ETA for when the kids can move into their house?

Maryz... Hmmm... under my bed? I'll have to check that out... there might be a little bit of room there. I do have a couple of those flat under-bed boxes under the bunk beds. I have a gorgeous piece of dark gray with swirls on it that might work for your DWR quilt.. but probably not big enough. You always have good luck at Thrift stores! I'm usually not so lucky.. though I did score on a ton of embroidery floss once! Still using it up!

Sherry....Happy Birthday to your Dad... Isn't it fun to remember those little family jokes. Every year on their anniversary my folks would joke about "renewing the contract" for another year. They were married 57 years. Glad you had no problem with your first shot.... I was able to sign up for my shot online and it went so smooth. They used an old empty Target store to set up everything...

Jana.. The boy scouts used to do a food drive like that here, but I haven't seen them in a long time. I'm thinking with Covid a lot of that kind of thing was cut back.

Lois.... Happy Anniversary! I love those deals on thread at Joann...I found a new cotton thread there for piecing by Coats that I really like, almost better than Connecting Threads thread... so I stock up on it when they have a sale like that.

We're expecting a beautiful day here today, though I can hear the wind howling outside my window! I'm headed out to the garage today, to make room for things I have to move and to get ready for the big garage sale at Viv's in the middle of May. I'm going to get rid of as much stuff as I can fit in my car to take down there! I don't expect to make a lot of money... it will just be nice to get rid of stuff that's been sitting in my garage for 5 years... I mean if I haven't used it in that long... why keep it!

So, off I go.. need more coffee first!

Wishing you all a Super Saturday

Return to “Sew ins”