Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday February 6,2021

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Saturday February 6,2021

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:48 am

Good morning Everyone,
Today I will be doing the last 2 rows of my suburbs quilt I think thats as far as I wl get I stop at a certain time and then relax before I start dinner.

Thats all the news I have for today.
Everyone have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

purrfect-lady

Re: Saturday February 6,2021

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:46 am

Good morning,

We're windy this morning after a pretty nice afternoon yesterday but so far, no rain. I think it's coming later. I got in several hours of unplanned yardwork and was hoping to do more today but guess I'll just have to make do with my sewing machine for my entertainment.

LOIS - how much snow did you get from that last storm? Is your next storm going to be heavy, too? I always tend to stop sewing at a certain time, too. It used to be 5pm, then 4pm. Now it's about 3:30. I never sew in the evenings. That's my handwork time in front of the fire and TV.

VAL - so sorry about all your caregiver woes. I hope your new one is golden!

CHRISS - so have you decided if you're going to Fresno or not? You deserve some new duds. I'm so sorry to hear of another Sears closing. They not only closed our Sears but ripped down that entire end of the Mall! Cute idea to make framed mini dresses out of wedding dresses. But I probably won't do that. One of these days I'll get ruthless and donate all my dresses to some place or someone who can use them.

JANA - so what did you move where yesterday? :lol:

SHERRY - glad you are able to stay put during your spate of bad weather. And just to clarify, Vicki's family has been trying so hard for so many years to help her. She angrily refuses all attempts to help her. After FOUR hearings they finally got a judge to sign a warrant at the beginning of November to have her committed for at least an evaluation, possibly longer, but now with Covid, unless a BIG incident occurs, the authorities won't act on it. That warrant is only good for 180 days.

SHARONA - glad your DH got his shot! I'll be so happy when everyone is fully immunized. My sis and DBIL went through their UC Health website to get appts. I think they go on Feb 9th. Of course, they are in the age bracket that goes first. I know you are a youngster yet! I understand your hubby getting up early. I try to stay in bed until 5am but I'm often up much earlier. But I go to bed early, too.

KATY - glad your computer straightened up and is flying right now. When I have trouble with mine, Bill often tells me to just 'reboot'. I think that means turn it off for a little bit and then turn it back on. We only turn our 'puters off once every few weeks. Since his degree is in computer science and his career was an IT supervisor for City of Tacoma, I trust him. I pictured you tall, fairly slim, with shoulder length dark curly hair. I was wrong, too? I am not quite five feet, on the plumpish side, with short, curly red hair, too. For the record Chriss is, from my perspective, about 7 feet tall!

JUDI - you got your Christmas Ribbons quilt top all done! I didn't realize you were that close. And now you can let your mind go to your packing/shopping/doing lists for your trip. What dates are your rezzies for?

MARY Q - no, no naps for me! I'm not a napper. The older I get the more I consider sleeping a waste of life. I especially love early morning and watching it get light and hearing the birds wake up. But I'm always happy to go to bed at night! sometimes pretty early, but usually around 9pm. You were talking flannels yesterday. I like to back many quilts with flannel and always have some leftovers. so when I made a king quilt for our bed, I cut all my flannel leftovers into 10" squares, serged them together, and used that as a backing. Every time I look at that quilt back I remember all the pretty things I sewed using those fabrics and who I gave them to. A trip down Quilting Memory Lane, if you will. Plus a good use of leftovers!

Our entire weekend is wide open. Bill is almost done quilting Norm & Nanette so I guess I'll be doing some more binding and I'm hoping he'll load another quilt (he has 3 more). And I'll keep working on my "Get Together" quilt. I had to order some more fabric for some of my sashing and borders so I can't put everything together until that arrives. Not sure what my next project will be. Still considering options . .

Wishing everyone, but especially Chriss, full bobbins today - and with the right color of thread!

mary z

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:52 am

Hi Lois and all. cold but big beautiful bright sunshine here,,,always a feel good day. I was up at 5 but hunkered down into the bed and fell back asleep til 730...breakfast and kitchen duty is done...assembled all my summer clothes and need to see what fits..( it all does) i have enough food to take with me and just need to pick up a few things,,,the fresh markets in Florida have the most wonderful fruits and veggies and are supposed to be opened,,( you cannot catch COVID from food cooked or raw and we always have washed all our produce) although the freezer is small in the camper I usually am able to get about 2 weeks worth in ther,,
I finsihed assembling the Christmas ribbons quilt last night,,,today if Ken doesnt have other plans I will make binding for the 2 quilts I have finished and perhaps make a list for the reindeer quilt a few of you have made. I really like that one too.( dont show me any more quilts please.) I decided not to quilt them till the basement is done...Too much debris and moving in the basement and i have me LA covered 3 times over to prevent dust and dirt, I will see how th basement progresses when I will quilt them. probably this summer. DD has commondeered her dad for a couple f small project,,,He doesnt have to do them but he does have to teach her how to do them. ( last time they asked to be taught the wood sat in our shop for 3 years before they got around to it,,) so Im sure this will be the same. well I need to go put clean sheets on the bed and tidy up the bedroom...hope you are all doing well and have a wonderful day XXXXXXXXOOOOOOOo

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:14 am

Mary z we got 18" last week this weekend we are due for another 6-8 " oh well its winter.

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:23 am

Good morning,
Happy Saturday everyone! Just a couple more hours and I am done for the week. I accidently came across a link on FB yesterday for a vaccine distribution just 5 min from my house. They had appointments for today so I grabbed one. Scheduled at 10:15. It’s for the Maderno shot which I have had more people say they had side effects to but it’s all that I can find. It’s 28 days between shots too instead of 21.
Didn’t get to any sewing yesterday. But give it another try today. After my shot I do have a meeting with patient and her son at 1 pm. He is not really wanting to get involved but she is estranged from her other children. She has a 24hr caregiver in the home (charging her big bucks!) but is getting to the point that she cannot write checks, etc so who is going to do that? It would be very hard for her to get to the bank to add someone to her account also but that is going to have to happen. The agency cannot be responsible for those type of things. So wish me luck. Not sure why the MSW is not doing this but…….
Me glad your day turned out sorta okay. On days like that I think it best to just go back to bed.
Sharona hopefully your wait is not too long. The clinics here are giving like 3500 shots a day so that would go fairly quickly I would think
Sherry hope your Dr. has vaccine by your appointment. They are not doing it that way here. The military contracted with North Bay which is a large group and Dad’s PCP is using the county services.
Jana when you are all done I hope you post pics. Sounds like fun actually, I love puzzles, although those are pretty large puzzle pieces.
Maryq those flannel squares would make great nursing home lap quilts.
Chriss I am dismayed to hear of the situation with Marilyn. I know you will be there to help her if needed. I will say an extra prayer.
The caregiver situation just fell into place so nicely. I was a bit nervous at first but have decided since it worked out so easily it must have been time and God had a hand in it. It will take some time for them to get to know each other but I have high hopes. If worse comes to worse, I really could get along without one. I would have to give up my free sew and quilt shop time but …….. DGS is still here in a pinch. He is watching Dad for an hour or so tomorrow so I can go see a patient about 2 min away.
Speaking of DGS, he has decided to go on Keto diet. For why? I don’t know. So he and his friend went shopping at Costco and came home with all kinds of stuff. Filled up my fridge so hard to put stuff away. I sent DH to Lowe’s to get him his own fridge in his room! He is thrilled.
Well, going to try and get last border cut for train quilt and sewn together. Have about 2 hours before shot time.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:45 am

Good morning all! Just a quick stop in today. My neighbor is coming this afternoon to plow out my very long driveway. He does such a good job and I am glad i don't have to worry about it. I pay him for doing it. He does several of our neighbors so he makes pretty good money for doing it. Since he is retired it helps him out.

Not much planned except to stay in and keep warm. Will go out tomorrow to get my Sunday paper.

Katy - I live in the NW corner of Ohio about half way between Toledo and Fort Wayne. Where does you friend live?

Maryz - So sorry about Vicki and her not being able to get help because of the virus. Hope some relief comes for you and her relatives soon.

Well better go get some breakfast. Hope everyone stays in and keeps warm today. Have a good weekend. Can't wait for the Super Bowl tomorrow. I am rooting for Tampa Bay to win because I am a Tom Brady fan. He is a Michigan Wolverine grad.

Sherry

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:17 am

Good morning friends
Today taking off to better start LOL Got bedroom cleaned and getting ready to make stuffed green peppers . Got six for $2 not what they were at Aldis. Aldis wanted double. went to Krogers and there they were. LOL
Update on my new years resoulution. I am keeping up with my ss box for this year. Got stuff for January and ordered something for February. I decided to make me take something from my sewing room every other month and buy something for other months. I will be ready I actually have a couple of things for March. One is for the kitchen just in case I get a cook. :lol: No fabric yet.
I will sew later got to get those blocks done.
Sherry He lives in Eastlake Ohio. Nice guy but just friends.
Lois How much snow have you got? We only have an inch but are expecting a bunch tonight
Maryz Yes I know you have red hair I been a red head for 30 some years I was born a red head then it went dark . Someone dared me at work to dye it red I did and have never looked back . Oh I think red heads have all the fun. I do not know why you all think I am skinny. LOL
Kind of like everyone thought I lived in a farm house.
Sharona I wish everyone would get the vaccine so we could go out and shop at quilt shops
O darn need to take Boo out. Hes a pest sometimes But I have never been on water pills.

You all have a great sewing day and stay safe
Katy

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:19 am

Good Morning Girls

Still in jammies.... but am determined to get butt in gear soon and start the Saturday Chores and the "Saturday Project" Just waiting for the coffee to kick in. It's "shower day" ( my life revolves around shower day) but you know how you get all hot, sweaty and stinky doing house chores?... so maybe I'll either do chores tomorrow or shower tomorrow... not both! Flippin' a coin! :lol: :lol:

Lois... OH My... You got 18" of snow? Sounds like an old fashioned MN snow storm... we've had a few doozies like that. How close are you to the ocean... do you suppose that has some effect on how much you get?

Maryz... I hear you about wasting time napping... When I first retired, I took a nap every day.... now only when I have a bad-sleep night.. We seem to be on the same sewing schedule too, I hit the sewing room about 1000-1100 in the morning, stay down until about 4 or so... then head up to do the hand work in front of the tv. Especially in the winter... seems I don't care to be downstairs when it's dark. One of these days I will get all the 5" flannel squares together... maybe when I run out of other UFO's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Judi... such a great feeling to pull out summer clothes and find they still fit! Must be ESP... I had a weird dream last night about trying on clothes... only in my dream.. nothing Fit... Do you take a sewing machine in your camper and sew when you are all settled in in FL? Or just hand work... like more Hexies???? :lol:

Valerie...So sad to hear of a parent estranged from kids... two sides to every story, but it's still sad. Hope the son steps up. Thanks for the idea for lap quilts. Most of the flannel I have is kid/baby stuff. For odd reason I have a big chunk of blue flannel that says " Carry on and eat more bacon"... Now what am I going to do with that?

Sherry.... Sounds like a win-win deal for you and your neighbor. When I went out to get my mail the other day another neighbor was plowing his driveway... I almost flagged him down to see if he'd do mine and my neighbor that always snow-blows mine-to give him a break... but as usual I have NO cash on me and nothing to offer him as payment... not even a plate of cookies.

Guess I'll go get more coffee... take a quick shower and then get to work. Today's project is cleaning my office... piles of papers to be sorted and need to find some papers for taxes. As soon as that's done... well... you know where I will be. Finished up 15 of the flannel baby blankets yesterday, so time to grab another UFO and GO!

Have a super great day every body

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:54 am

Good morning!

I'm late, very very late! Showered and dried my hair. That takes a bit of extra time, now that it has gotten quite long.

We did get the bed back in place and some parts of the rest of this room. Found a arch spray of yellow sunflowers for the space above my headboard. It is very light weight, so I can put it there. Living with earthquakes, you never put anything above your bed that can fall and hit you on the head. No pictures, frames, shelves,, etc, or your bed under a window. Thought when we left California, I would be out of earthquake country, nope!

Today I will see the Batt Cave and finish up piecing the quilt on my design wall. Still waiting on a order from Amazon for the fabric so I can finish up my log cabin for my bed. I have several more items in transit, one from QIAD with a Kimberbell pattern for a cover to my bench pillow.

So did you know that snow comes in colors, not just white? Yesterday along the mountain range to my west, the storm dumped brown snow. On everything! My white cars were muddy brown. Aaron saw it first, called me and I later found out the answer on the local news. The storm had lots of wind and kicked up dirt from the west desert and carried it here, on the snowflakes. Car washes will be busy today!

Stay Safe!
Hugs,
Jana

womster

Post by womster » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:18 am

Hi all -

Just a drive-by today. Had breakfast with DH's bro and his wife. First time in over four months, if memory serves (which it rarely does any more!). Headed out to my playroom and then in for a nap. DH mistakenly got up at 2:30 :shock:. Because of my heart meds I usually have to nap every day (plus it keeps the afib away), but today will be industrial strenghth napping. Sure wish I didn't have to, but needs must. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

Return to “Sew ins”