Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday, February 3rd

Daily discussions.
suzette58

Wednesday, February 3rd

Post by suzette58 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:45 am

Good morning everyone.
It is 23.5 degrees here this morning and windy. One thing for sure the dogs do not hang out when they go outside. They do what they need and head inside. I had to change my plan for quilting the Legacy quilt. I was going to do meander but I broke 2 needles and can’t find anyone to help with the machine. But, as it turns out that was a good thing. I don’t have the throat space to keep turning the quilt. So, I am stitching in the ditch. The dog quilt is just about done. Two more sides to sew binding on. Then I will wash it and mail it. But, not by the post office. I still don’t know where the wedding quilt is. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. I am off to find a cup of coffeee.
Suzette

fabricgirl

Re: Wednesday, February 3rd

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:57 am

Good morning Suzette and all who follow

Suzette so sorry your quilt is taking some out of the way trips seems to me that the post office isn't to reliable but none of the other are also they all keep blaming the pandemic.
Yesterday I went out to help shovel some and I enjoyed being out in the fresh air for a bit then came back in and finished another row of my houses.
Today I will do another row a get a load of wash done.

Well thats my story Everyone have a great day prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:12 am

Good morning,,,cold and clear here 19 I have the humidifiers running, this dry cold can make for chapped lips and hands,,
We still havent found a place to stay in Florida...I will open the camper as sson as we get a reservtion I found 5 to call today all in new areas, they have good rtings but we shall see
I did more assembly on the quilt last night,,,on the diagonal has always given me trouble. but it is coming along...I never made it to joanns yesterday si maybe I will venture out today. i really need to get out of the house into the sunshine at least every 2-3 days, your so right about the fresh air.
Diet is going good...of course the first few days you lose excess water...but I am determned to keep it off this time. I started with a diet called 21 day fix, and went to Golo..without the suppliments. they sell diet suppliment but I am just following the diet,,($49 for the suppliments, no thanks) basically they are all portion diets,,,only eating a balance amount of healthy foods...3x a day,
well I need to get breakfast and coffee (yes I have to have my coffee) hope you are all having a grest day.
Suzette I mailed a package to my friend and it took 30 days to get 8 hrs from my house. Yet I mailed a pckage to washington state and it was there in 4 days. But I ordered one day from amazon and it came the next day...maybe Amazon should deliver the mail.
XXXXXXXXOOOOOOO

velvet

Post by velvet » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:35 am

Good morning to all. Cool start to the day. Glad the rain has pulled out and took the winds with it.
Today hope to finish up the blocks on my 'winter star' top.
Fingers crossed for the pins out this morning after x-rays.
Will check back after that to catch up.
Happy to hear Kathy is doing better. Any idea when she will go home?

Have a "sew-in" day.
Diane

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:23 am

Imagehttps://i.postimg.cc/WbVBnj4N/FB-IMG-1612214574616.jpg
Here is pic of me working drywall mud. Going ok, but a lot to do. The so called contractor put mud on thick, sloppy, and uneven.
Time to get ready to work.
Flo

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:56 am

God morning all
Today a little warmer . May get up to 40. But this weekend watch out . Below zero. BRRRRRRR cold.
Nothing really shakin here. Worked on a couple of lotto blocks Will try to finish today to see if they come out right . Then may make a few more later. I need to get back to the mice blocks LOL
I will do a few uglies today then sew. Otherwise everything is calm. Hold my breath or knock on wood.
Diane o hope you have great luck with getting those pins out.
Judi all suppliments are expensive . My vitamins are not bad about $14 per month. My sister took some that were over 40 a month.
Suzette Sorry your quilt decided to take a side trip. It happens a lot . I thought the mail would get straightened out after christmas. I have never quilted a larger quilt just table runners and wall hangings. Maybe someday I will get brave. LOl.
Well I need to go do those uglies so I can sew O yes another cup of Java is probably first

You all have a great sewing day Stay safe
Katy

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:03 am

Good morning, what a great day today is going to be.

Went to see my parents yesterday, took a pizza. Then Jerry and I went to Harbor Freight. The store has been in town for quite a while but we had never been there. That was the highlight of my week.

Suzette, sorry about the needles but glad you found a way around it.

Lois, I saw your houses on Instagram, they look great.

Judi, I agree about Amazon delivering the mail. I am giving up coffee for a few days. My stomach is bothering me and I don't know if it's the caffeine, the calcium supplements or worrying about Marilyn. She will be 18 next month and is having arguments with her dad and wanting to move out. Glad all is well with Ken.

Diane, Kathy probably won't get to go home for a bit. They found some blood in her colostomy bag and she needs to go see the surgeon to figure out why. She also needs to gain strength, Her spirits are good which is so important. She is very thankful for the people on this forum who have called and sent cards etc.

Flo, look at you, Jane of all trades. love the picture

Katy, sorry I missed your birthday, hope it was a wonderful one. My supplements are just a multi vitamin and calcium with D. I never know what to take for what and hope what I do take works.

Jana, it really is good to be you. enjoy your sales and your painting. you're a busy girl.

Valerie, hope the weather held out for your dad to get his shot. we are windy and cool but no wet stuff. We really do need the rain, but not all in one day. what craft organizer did you get? will you take it to classes?

Just saw on the news that a gal received her wedding dress and didn't open the box and found she had received the wrong dress. Got me to wondering, how many of you still have your wedding dress? or did you get a costly wedding dress and how fancy was your wedding. Jerry and I got married at the Mariposa court house by the judge with only family in the audience.

you have a groovy day,
chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:35 am

Good morning,

Today my Baby Girl, aka, Lara, turns 49 years old. I wish I could hug her but we are distancing - 3,000 miles and 6 ft! :lol: But I will give her a call.

I talked to KATHY yesterday. She is allowed one visitor for only 15 min. And only one visitor per day is allowed in the facility, so she is still on the list to get that visit. She is only getting PT once a day and otherwise isn't allowed out of her room because of Covid. Nor is she allowed up walking without assist as she is still unstable on her feet, so she is having a hard time getting any opportunity to strengthen her muscles. So she will be there for a while yet, possibly a few more months. She has received a Covid shot and should get a second one in a couple of weeks. Her sister is keeping an eye on her house, getting her mail, paying her bills. Her roommate went to the hospital the day after she moved in and she's had no roomie ever since. And the view of the snow outside her window is very pretty and she's enjoying that. And sends a 'hi' to everyone here and she can't wait to be logging on again one day.

DIANE - I hope you share photo of your Winter Star when you finish it. I looked it up and it's a beauty!
Good luck at the doc. Let's get those pins out and you up and going!

FLO - I think the Better Business Bureau and maybe a Contractor's Organization should get a report on how unsatisfactory your contractor is! Good picture of you working the mud!

KATY - Sew something fun today! And stay warm! Maybe your X needs to pick up an extra load of 'ends'!

JUDI - How is Ken feeling this morning? Are you trying for your entire trip in one park or is a week here and a week there an option for you? You might have better luck with a series of shorter stays because many parks, especially in snowbird destinations, reserve a few sites for more short-term campers. Though I know it's a pain to pick up your campsite and move even to another site within the same park, let alone another park altogether. Wishing you good luck with your diet. Everyone losing weight here hasn't exactly inspired me to go on a real diet myself, but y'all do have me doing more portion control and second-guessing my choices when I go for snacks. And I've seen a tiny bit of progress. Ideally, I should lose about 30-35#.

SUZETTE - I sure hope your quilt turns up soon. You have a tracking number but it's not giving you any updated info? How far is it traveling? Did you buy insurance? I'm always on the fence about that - risk alerting some nefarious person that there is something valuable in the package or risk it and go without insurance. You may have to take your receipt to your post office and do some jumping up and down. I'm going to be mailing my "Fox" quilt to CO soon and after your experience, I'm thinking we might Fed Ex it.
And I haven't tried this, but I've seen it - when quilting, you can always just do straight "north/south" lines but stop every 8"-12" or so and maybe sew a set of small leaves, or a star, a couple of bubbles, or a simple flower. Stagger them on each of your sewn lines so they are kind of random. Practice first with pencil and paper. Just adds a bit of interest, but you can keep your quilt going straight through your machine without having to turn it (if your feed dogs are down),

LOIS - did it stop snowing yet? the news said that some parts of Jersey got up to 3'! That's not at YOUR house, is it? NJ isn't that big. . . But I bet it was fun to get outside for a bit and smell that fresh clean air after a snowstorm.

MARY Q - Maybe we need to get you a rooster. I can tell you, no one sleeps past rooster-thirty! (we live next door to a white rooster named Dean and Dean takes his job seriously!) Good luck feeding your friend. I hate cooking for special diets like that. We are a family of 10 and we have 4 vegetarians (1 is extremely picky), plus another person that is on a doctor-directed gluten/egg/walnut/soy - free diet. Trying to make something all of them will eat is impossible! Your plan is good, take her grocery shopping when she gets there and let her make her own food. What is your next project?

VAL - I think we all fantasize about having a sewing room like Jana's, but I suspect if I did, mine would be just as crowded as it is now! lol!

CHRISS - since you asked, I've had 3 weddings. Always a bride, never the bridesmaid. It was Jan 30, 1971 and my dress had a detachable train, was A-line, long sleeves and cost $30 on a sale rack. I laid it away and paid $5 every 2-week payday. I had 4 bridesmaids. Autumn wore it when she got married in 2002 but now is getting a divorce so she has no wish for it. It's still in an acid free box under my bed along with my elbow length veil. Roy and I and my three kids eloped in Dec, 1987 to Reno and took all three kids with us (ages 17, 14, & 11) I was 36. I wore a cream silk knee length dress with a peplum. It's still hanging in my storage closet under the stairs. (side note: 3 yrs later my DD, Lara, married Roy's son). Bill and I were married 2/14/92 in the middle of a potluck party with a DJ. We asked for potluck contributions in lieu of gifts. I wore a cream lacy skirt with a dropped hemline in the back, a matching western blouse, and cream boots. And yes, I still have that one, too. My sister teased me that when my girls needed a wedding dress, all they had to do was browse in my closet!

Bill finished quilting "Fox in the Pines" with a pine cone/pine needle pattern. I have it trimmed and binding made so I will probably finish that off today and plan my special label for it. I'll cross stitch a tiny pine tree and fox on it but that will be TV work. I'll also work on my little 9-patches today. I have all the 3-square sections made. Now it's just a matter of sewing them together. I need a total of 145 9Ps and have 13 done so far. They go quickly.

Piece!
mary z

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:48 am

Good morning!

Chriss. My dress was not all that fancy, I made it. It was made from a House of Fabric, knit called Quianna. House of Fabrics was bought by JoAnn's. Had a lace bodice, and the sleeves were the style of the 70's - big wide cuffs, mine were lace. No I don't have my dress anymore, the fabric really yellowed. Did like most of fabric store fabrics, disintegrate in large areas. Our wedding reception was at my in-laws home - a very large and beautiful garden in their backyard. A August wedding, windy and cold, in Concord California. 46 years ago, this August. We were married at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Oakland Temple. Very beautiful temple.

Well, we are camped out in the great room this morning. The kids moved our bed to paint the last wall today. Just wish my new bed was here ,but it is delayed by about 2 weeks longer. But, I did evict the big desk, as Michael is putting it. Grudgingly he went along. I will have to slow down a bit on projects, as he is grumpy about things being in chaos. I can do that.

Sewed together a UFO yesterday. I had al the blocks made, just put them in rows. Sarah at one time was on a lighthouse kick. We found a fabric with lots of lighthouses, so I fussy cut them out and made the block around them, a attic window setting. Each lighthouse in the center. So today I will finish that and load it on my LA. What was planned was to finish my big log cabin quilt, but my backing fabric was short by a yard or so. But I found more online and it will be here on Friday. Found it on Amazon, surprisingly. Once the quilt is quilted and bound, I will use up the matching orphan blocks to make 2 pillow shams. I originally started this quilt with El's, 40 year Still Stripping book. That quilt used pieced blocks with log cabin blocks, but I wasn't fond of how mine looked, so I made extra log cabin blocks and set them together. The pieced blocks are the orphans. It will be perfect - the right colors for my new bedroom.

The painting will be done today.

Hugs,
Jana

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:31 am

Chris my wedding was very small I bought my dress off the rack at JC Pennys ( aline short sleeved very simple) then I packed it up and flew to Houston where ken had taken a job. My mother ( absolutely not happy) flew later in the week after i told her my plan...my Dad was out of work so he stayed home with the 7 siblings, my future bil and sil stood as witnesses and we managed to get married in a church,,by a priest. ( very liberal Priest) he sped up the process and married us with in a week and a half ( no not pregnant either) Everyone said we were too young and it wouldnt last.....54 years later we are still sort of liking each other,,,og and I still have that yellowed and old dress in a box in my closest.. the veil is gone (not sure where it went) but I have a piece of my wedding bouquet in the box...We had a smll reception at my BILs house in Houston and my new MIL voiced her disapproval also. She threw the cake topper and the first anniversary cake in the trash. We never did love each other but I was with her when she died at the hospital I was working at, she did love her son and grandkids though.

Return to “Sew ins”