Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday, January 31st

Daily discussions.
suzette58

Sunday, January 31st

Post by suzette58 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:30 am

Good morning everyone
Woke up to more snow this morning. The dogs seemed to be ok with it but mom not so much. I mailed the wedding quilt through the post office last Monday and as of Wednesday it was going to be late. Plus now I have no idea where it is. No tracking update. I realize there are problems due to the pandemic. But, I think it is being taken advantage of. Yesterday I got my Spring Jubilee quilt layered. We did this quilt in 2018 at the LQS. Better late then never. I am planning on doing free motion quilting on it. But, it has been awhile so I need to do some practice pieces. I need more coffee. I hope everyone has a great day.
Suzette

fabricgirl

Re: Sunday, January 31st

Post by fabricgirl » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:19 am

Good morning Suzette and all who follows,
Suzette yes the packages don't move as fast as we would like them to and after a while the tracking quits working even if you overnight something it dosent get there for 3 days its not a win win situation its more like a lose lose situation.
Today the snow will start moving in but thats OK I don't have anywhere I have to go so I will go down check on the laundry and sew all day.
Yesterday I transferred all my patterns into the new draws and salvaged the other cabinet for assorted rulers that don't hang and notions.

Well thats my story for today I hope yours is a great 1.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois.

Becca

Post by Becca » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:12 am

Good morning everyone light rain here & 33
Lois Enjoy your day It’s nice to be organized
Suz I hope your quilt arrives safely I know it is slow these days but I mailed 1 a couple weeks ago and it went fast I was so glad
Sharona I pray your Son is going to be ok How scary that must be for yourDDIl Sure glad the pill helps
Chris The lady doesn’t travel but she is a really good one I know what you mean about men not seeing things to clean but he is willing so make a list
I will watch Church this morning Will be a quiet day here
Have a wonderful day everyone Becca

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:30 am

Good morning,

We are a rainy 45* and looks like we'll stay that way for the next 3 days. Good sewing weather.

BECCA - enjoy your quiet day.

LOIS - it's always fun to move into something new. Rulers can be a challenge to store. I have mine in an old file holder I found at Goodwill. The smaller ones are in a silverware/napkin holder meant for a picnic table. Rotary cutters, pens/pencils, etc in the 3 small sections, rulers in larger section. Works great. How much snow do you have? I love taking a walk in the snow.

SUZETTE - looks like Lois's storm got you, too? Or did your storm get Lois? When you do free motion quilting, do you do meander? Feathers? Loops? Swirls? My FM is almost always meander. It's so classic-ly quilty. When I mail something there is sometimes a disclaimer on the receipt now explaining because of Covid and so many staff being out sick they don't promise mail to be on time.

CHRISS - Glad you are finding cabbage so versatile and tasty. I like it, too, and would probably like it even better if fried in slices and topped with spaghetti sauce. A new recipe to try! You are sticking to your diet so religiously. Is Jerry doing as well with his no-smoking efforts? Did you get your fabric all organized? And did you get out of the house and go buy some of that fabric you mentioned? Funny, I love days where I don't have to go anywhere - until I CAN"T go anywhere. Then all I want is to go somewhere! Sorry there are no quilting classes close to you. I enjoy MSQC's short tutorials. And of course, Eleanor's shows are all archived here, I think, for our viewing pleasure. Bill is the same way about cleaning - he doesn't see what needs to be done. On the plus side, if I want to sew, I don't think he notices if I let the house slide.

FLO - oh, I remember Joe's other job now. Bad, broken trucks. Glad he found something new. Does he drive semi's? tankers? Box trucks? Not that it's any of my business. I'm just a Nosy Rosy. I always want the details. Do you have a projected target date for finishing the house? Did you ever finish your own home improvements?

SHARONA - where does your dad live? Seems to me you in the past have taken some trips east about 1,000 miles to visit family. Was that dad? Or one of your boys? It's early. My memory banks need another cup of coffee to wake up, I think. Did you make it to your sewing hole yesterday? I hardly made it out of mine! :D

MARY Q - So? What was the Chore of the Day yesterday? And was the UFO you were working on your falling triangles? How is Eli doing? Bill has a Feb 20 appt at our local hospital (3 mi away) to get his first Covid shot, but he's afraid there will be a vaccine shortage by then so he's been searching all the sites trying to find an earlier appt. But they seem to be all filled before the event is even posted on the DOH site.

JANA - did you get your bedroom all packed up yesterday? Except for the bed, right? Saving that wall for a later date? What color are you painting the bedroom? And when is the floor going down in the Batt Cave? And what does Michael call his part of the basement? The Roundhouse?

DIANE - what day is Pin Day? Are you still having to sit most of the time with your feet elevated? My chiro's wife broke her foot in Nov, 2019 and was supposed to have her pins removed about 3 months later but that's when they shut down all procedures but emergencies because of Covid. So she still has her pins. Seems it would feel better without them.

VAL - I hope they hire that new person and he/she works out well. That's a lot of counties for you to cover. Surely you aren't the only nurse! I'm glad you've got some sewing events lined up. You work hard and you need some Val-time! I looked up Judi's Christmas Ribbons. I think she did her pinwheels with the little squares in the middle by snowballing her HST's before putting them into the pinwheels. Would be hard to align those little seams, I think.

SHERRY - sounds like if we can't find you, you and Smoke and Sweetie will be out back building a snowman!

JUDI - you must be sleeping in! Good for you! What's on your docket for the day?

Yesterday I did nothing but work on my PP FG. Then, for TV work, I removed the papers, which can be a little tedious. Since I printed the patterns myself they are on printer paper. I use tiny stitches when sewing so as to perforate the paper. But I finally took to wetting down the papers and they pulled off more easily. Today, I think more of the same. I have 12 sections done and 12 to go. Each section is 3-1/2" x 9-1/2" and has 9 squatty geese. They will be sashing in the quilt. I'm considering baking some apricot scones which will be a nice break from sewing, and an even nicer snack later this afternoon.

Happy Sunday!

mary z

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:45 am

Morning
Maryz, my home improvements stopped when kids moved in. Now getting their house finished is taking everything, time & money.
Sweet is ok. She was a little perkier this morning. I still have teary moments thinking of Sour.
Flo

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:52 am

Good morning,,I slept til 8 and so did Ken. Bed was warm and outside is cold we are at 28 with a snow advosory. We both layed there daring the other to get up first and turn the heat up..we keep the room at 63 at night and turn it up in the morning,,,we have always loved sleeping in a cold room ith the bed heater on. Of course there are plenty of quilts if one should get too cold.
yesterday we went to look at the ton of boxes that contained the new cabinets at DD house...it filler her entire living room and foyer,,,,they had alreay inspected the contents for damage,(3 had some ) then the in laws came over as Jeff decided to gut the old kitchen we all worked all day ( surprise as the in laws have severe Covid fear and rarely go out) they did wear their masks the entire time...we do not in the house as we have been around them since it started. but we enptied and stowed all of the contents in the dining room ( now full too) they are removing the hardwood floor also so there will be a mess at her house for a while while they get all the contractors on their scheduled dates, Flooring, countertop, and painters, It will be beautiful when it is done.. Jeff and Ken will install the cabinets,,,(a short pause in our basement work) Colleen has promised to paint my finished basement in return, Win Win. She likes to paint but her house has 9 ft ceiling so she will hire it done
I have decided to start my diet over tomorrow,,Inspired by Chris and Jana,,,I always start on the first of the month as it is a 28 day diet...we shall see how it goes...I need to lose some weight this being home and cooking a lot has done its thing on me...I am hoping to have some good news to report after the month is up...and take it from there,
Well the washer is telling me the sheets are done and coffee has been drank. We have an inch of new snow and more coming later today,,,Im not sure the total but I might need to run to the local market for milk...hope you all have a great day XXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOO PS...I did start the assembly of the Christmas quilt and I am liking what I see,,,,
Flo funny how the kids needs still come before our own

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:10 am

Good morning all
We finally got snow about 2 inches or more right now. If all the rain we got was snow we would have had like 14 inches. lol I really cant yell this year about snowfall. Of course February is not over. The snow we have got so far is making for easy walking to wood burner.
Friday I went to chiro and to see my sister who has cancer. She is holding her own. But she is still way too thin. I took her some home made beef veggie soup. Along with some chicken fried chicken I got from Omaha steaks. Her husband will never get the award for being a good cook. Although she has taught him how to do a roast.
I was told by chiro not to do anything for a couple of days. But I did get second border cut for quilt yesterday . Today I hope to get some house chores done and sew on the borders. Its time to move to next project.
Maryz I have pp for years and have never thought to just wet the paper A friend who taught me to pp said to soak in warm water but that makes a mess.
Suzette The mail is slower than a turtle. Then when you send something and they tell 4 or 5 days it gets there in 2 I paid extra for a package to get to Mo in three days so a week maybe 10 days it showed up.
I told the girl I would not pay for something I was not receiving. So when I mailed lotto blocks paid for standard shipping . Arrival time 5 to 10 days. Arrived 2 days later.
Well I need coffee before Boo needs to go out again

You all have a great sewing day
Katy

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:09 am

Blessings to you all on this wonderful Sunday!

Just me and Dad today, DH at work and DGS in San Fran doing a side job. Checking in before Dad wakes.

Suzette I hope they scan your tracking soon. I am so worried about mailing quilts these days as the postal service has declined so much. Prayers it gets there soon.
Becca we are still watching church here too. I can't wait to actually walk into one!
Maryz yes for the noc shift I am the only nurse. There are 2 on the evening shift. Then the weekends one covers for day hours and one covers for evening/noc hours. I looked at the triage report and the poor evening/noc nurse was hopping all over the place.
Chriss I may have to look into this cabbage thing for Dad. I can't get his blood sugar below the 160's and occasionally it creep into the low 200's. I don't understand why the doctor won't order another medication. I hate to be so restrictive with his diet at his age but if I don't, he will really climb. I am continuing to give him his ice cream at night. It is low sugar, don't have the heart to take that away too. He is 93 after all.
Judi what diet are you using, I need one I can stick too and be successful.
Katy I have heard of people dampening the paper but since I don't PP never really paid much attention to it.

Not sure what is on the agenda for today. Still trying to get Dad's train quilt done. Jesus! It's only borders which would have been on by now had I not decided to miter them. Oh my, sometimes I question my sanity. I did get some paperwork done today. Trying to get things in order for tax season. Need to vacuum sometime today. Plan dinner? any ideas?

For now, best go get my breakfast as Dad has been getting up earlier and if I don't eat now......
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:33 am

Good morning!

Bright, sunny, the snow is gone and we are cold! Oh, I can see it's windy too.

We got the room packed and moved most of the furniture out from the walls. We left a walk space, that can have the furniture shoved into, to free up more space by the walls. Most of the walls are about 9 feet, but one is 12 ft or so. It is a vaulted ceiling, but that is staying white. My new drapes arrived yesterday, so they will go up quickly. I have plantation blinds in all the windows, so there is some privacy. The color is called, Frittata, by Behr paints, but we are using Sherwin Williams paint. It is a soft yellow.

Church starts in a couple of hours. Then I will start organizing my sewing. I did sew a flannel baby blanket yesterday for Sarah. Finished crocheting the edge last night and gave it to her. Stu's roommates, are a married couple. They were the ones up here he lived with. They bought a house and now Stu lives with them, again. They were expecting a new baby in about 3 weeks, but the little bugger arrived early, hence the gift of the receiving blanket, which will come from Stu.

Stay Safe!
Hugs,
Jana

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:29 am

Good morning all! Just got a whole bunch typed and when I hit button it went away. Not going to redo it so I will just say have a good and safe day to everyone.

Been a long time since that has happened to me.
Sherry

Return to “Sew ins”