Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday 1/14/21

Daily discussions.
Marilynsgrammy

Thursday 1/14/21

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:53 am

Good morning, the I can't sleep bug hit me this morning.

It was good to talk with Kathy yesterday, I hope you can find time to call her, she really wants visitors but can't have them because of Covid. She's kind of isolated, it made me realize that everyone in hospitals or other care facilities are isolated too. and our hospitals and care facilities are over full. So many alone people out there could use encouragement.

Great news here. My son got the job with Hartnell College in Salinas. He will be creating lesson plans for something I don't completely understand but it has to do with farming and technology that knows when to water a specific spot on the farm and such. My DIL also got a new job working for the state agriculture department in the produce safety department, she has no office as it is a work from home and travel situation so she can live anywhere. For my son the college job is work form home and starts next week. He still has the high school teaching job which will end in June so for 5 months he is doubly employed.

Lois, when I was younger I used to help my grandpa butcher animals. Deer, sheep, cows, even chickens. I was his favorite. Hope the kids dryer got fixed and the doctor appointment went well

Suzette, well? did the backing for the dog quilt get there? is it perfect?

Judi, thanks for giving me Kathy's address. Not sure why I didn't think of googling her earlier. She doesn't have anything with her to log on here. No computer or cell phone. So glad you are able to get some things put away in that soon to be beautiful basement.

Maryz, are we home yet? How much longer? Please ask Bill those questions in my most whiniest voice. Prayers for safe travels. My table runner will be cute, but did you see Lois's, hers is gorgeous. The website where the runner is has a FB page, lots of pictures.

Sue, I remember Quilterbee Aimee, I love noodles but don't remember her swaps, must have been before my time. I googled Winston Ways, it's beautiful, can't wait to see a picture. Was the carrot cake wonderful? did it have raisins and nuts? and cream cheese frosting? My diet doesn't allow cake, but carrot cake is my favorite. My goodness, I just read you also made a lemon pie. you are so bad for my diet.

Carole (with an E) glad you got your virus vaccine. Jerry and I got tested yesterday. 2020 was a booger of a year, 2021 has just got to be better. I enjoy seeing pictures of your daughter and the grown up kids on your FB page. I am still so proud of your daughter and admire her strength. I wish I had a mom like you both when I was growing up and now. You are pretty special, Chriss ( no Y)

Katy, always good to get rid of a mouse, yay for Scooby. Men can never find anything, not even a cat flying across the kitchen floor. Hope he is doing better, did they ever find out what caused his seizure? I'm curious, did he lose his house and have to move in with you?

Sharona, prayers for your cousin. Had I known you were going to Walmart I would have given you my list.

Diane, glad the foot is healing. Hope Easter travel happens and this virus doesn't pose a problem.

Jana, I laughed when you said Ethan convinced grandpa to run the train one more day, I wonder how many more "one more day's" Ethan can get out of grandpa. glad Sarah is doing better.

Maryq, I wish I had been here earlier to take advantage of the noodle swaps, although I probably didn't have a clue as to what to do with a noodle back then. Now I would make jelly roll race quilts. so quick and easy and a great way to use up fabric. Like you I cut scraps into 2 1/2 inch strips or charms and 5 inch charms. anything smaller is just too small. We have a Costco card but don't really shop there much. When I was working in town I would stop there before work at 6am and get gas. It was safe and quick in the morning. Not sure when I will commute again, hopefully not any time soon.

Lori, sorry you are funky. I pray your heart heals soon. hugs to you my friend. xo

Sherry, what do you put in your fruitcake? Happy birthday to your son.

Velda, what a great quilt, your granddaughter will love it. For me a lap quilt has to be long enough to tuck under my neck and hang over my feet and wide enough to go across my lap and tuck under my tush.

Valerie, hope your dad's back trouble is short lived. what fun to be at the LQS sorting fabric. I bet you saw lots of pretty things.

Flo, sounds like that house will be move in ready very soon. yay.

I believe I am all caught up. didn't realize I missed so many days here. Please consider calling Kathy a few times, she really could use some day brighteners.

you girls take care and stay healthy.
Chriss
Psalm 91

purrfect-lady

Re: Thursday 1/14/21

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:11 am

Chriss, you and I were posting at the same time. When I have my computer I always check before I hit “submit“ in case someone else posted but I can’t do that on my phone. So feel free to read my post to! And thank you for connecting all of us to Kathy!!

And congratulations on your sons new job! I was wondering yesterday as we drove through Oregon, if he had gotten the job. Because I thought he was looking in Oregon. I was going to text you and ask but decided to wait until you got off work. But then I fell asleep. 😹

Mary z

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:15 am

Good Morning Chriss,
Well we went to the chiropractor i was way out and my back is a little sore today.
Yes we went to the kids house and I don't think this tec made sense while he was there I had him call my sons cell and he could talk to both of them when he first got there Bill had the dog on his leash the man took 1 look at him and shut the door so Bill took Zeus outside it was like the keystone cops so I think they got the bums rush .

Chris's congrats to your son and DIL on there new Jobs .

Also thank you for the Kathy connection.

Today I'm washing clothes everything is straightened and I will go sew for a while.

Well Everyone have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois.

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:45 am

Just a quick check in as I am as usual late!

Wow haven't thought of those noodle swaps is quite sometime. I bet I still have some out in the shed.

Chriss thanks for the update on Kathy. Will be flying by the seat of my pants today but will try to put something together. Covid test at 8:30, need 2 new tires appt at 9:15, then patients at 11 and 1. Hoping the tire with the nail in holds till I get to the tire shop. Had DH air it up this AM.

Anyway, I gotta get you know what in gear. Will check back later.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

carole

Post by carole » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:48 am

Good Morning Ladies,
Where is everyone? Are you all sleeping in this morning? Did I miss something?
Today is going to be a quiet day for me. Will even take a day off from walking Maddie. She is learning to walk on a leash and still get excited and pulls. Got these arthritic hands hurting like never before. lol
I think Maddie was the runt of the litter. She is 10 months old now and only weighs about 32 lbs. We wanted a small dog this time and think we got her. Luke was 108 lbs and it was awfully hard to move him when he got sick.

So sorry to hear how sick Kathy is. It must be so hard to be all alone in the rehab place. You ladies are so kind to be taking the time to call and send her packages. That will definitely pick up her mood.

I am going to try to put binding on a table runner my DD requested for her birthday. It is my left hand that is so bad and I am right handed. so I think I can get it done.

Hugs to all of you.

Carole

velvet

Post by velvet » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:02 am

Good morning from the recliner. Yesterday went well with the dr. He told me to keep foot up whenever I can so here I am. Hubby sent a picture to my kids and only 1 word was said. "YUCK".
Thank you for the info on Kathy and putting her as return address is great. Unfortunately, I don't have it for her. Please either hide it in a message or pm to me.

I'm so tempted to answer to Miss Cutie and visit the sewing room but I know I would start her up for hours. So I shut the door and hobbled away. LOL

New jobs sound great!! Finally a good thing for starting 2021 in a family. Best of luck!!

I'll check later to catch up.
Diane

womster

Post by womster » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 am

Good morning -

This has been a very busy week. I'm running out the door to get my hairs cut and I work tomorrow and then will be attending a funeral. And another one on Saturday. The pastor's wife's surgery went well, but she has a very aggressive type of brain cancer. A niece of mine is going in for a tonsillectomy tomorrow - she's 22 and I know it will not be fun for her. Lots of sad this week.

Now for some funny: the jet stream seems to have descended directly over CO. The winds are at hurricane force. We kept losing electricity, and when that happens my DH's projection clock goes thru this awful color rotation that keeps me from sleeping. I tried to stealthily walk over to his side of the bed to fix said clock. Unfortunately, his leg was dangling down and I didn't see it until too late. He woke up as I was standing directly over him - he nearly had a heart attack!! I shall catch up this afternoon after I get back from Denver. Have a wonderful day! xox Sharona

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:04 am

Well this forum has been busy today, I finushed some chore and tried to make an appt for the covid vaccine but I havent had any luck so far... here we are having a very slow vaccine roll out and no one is sure why,,,could be our governor,,,,but we are not sure...I am trying.
So for the rest of the day I will SEW yes you heard that right,,,,I am working on the Christmas Ribbons quilt...So far so good....hope you are all happy healthy and if you need Kathy info I have both of her addresses...PM me for details. XXXXXXXXOOOOOOOO

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:41 am

Good Morning Girls

Chriss... that same "no sleep" bug has been at my house too! Though I think it was really the ice tea I drank after supper last night that kept me awake... the brain would just NOT shut off! Congratulations to your DS and DIL!!! Do they live near you now? Sounds like they won't have to move far away for their new jobs... If you ever run out of 2.5" strips...let me know... :lol: :lol: I've been watching youtube videos on how to do bargello... think I'm going to try with scrap strips 1st before I use the "good stuff"

Maryz.... SO SO Glad you are HOME!!!! You made it! I'll have to go check out Mike's new book! I loved his first one! Sorry you had to give up your sewing room for the house sitter... but look at it this way... it will all be cleaned and organized so you can start fresh! Maybe that's what I should do... take in a "renter" ... it would force me to clean up stuff! :lol: :lol: (oh wait... did that once. and swore never again!)

Lois... So the dryer is all fixed now? And you're still doing laundry :lol: :lol: Hope your back feels better today... and doesn't bother you while you sew!

Valerie.... Ouch... 2 new tires..... Hope the air held until you got to the shop this morning. My car sounds a warning when the air is low in my tires.... and it figures, something like that always happens in the winter when it's super cold and I have to stop a zillion times to get air!

Carole... Luke was 108lb??? Oh my gosh.. he was HUGE! My BFF in CO has one of those itty bitty dogs that you can carry in a baby back-pack.... but I want a DOG... not something that will blow over in the wind! :lol:

Diane... You have my sympathy for not being able to spend house in your sewing room... Do you have some bindings to sew while you have your foot up?

Sharon..... Good thing you didn't have a sharp knife in your hand as you stood over your DH.. that would have really given him a fright! Does your pastor's wife have Glioblastoma? One of my oldest DS's best friends from high school had it.... it's pretty scary. He was only 42 when he passed. It's a tough cancer to treat.

Judi.... YEAH.... a whole day of sewing... no demo clean up today! Enjoy!

Time to get to work here... I'm still in jammies are usual and need a shower (it's an every other day thing) It is snowing here this morning and we may get a few inches. Should have made my trip to the drug store for an Rx yesterday when the roads were dry. But I stayed in and got another UFO put together, will layer and pin today and see how far I get quilting it. Need to make some sense of the 2.5" strips that area all over my living room (where no body sits anyway) May pick out some to make a practice bargello block... we'll see!

Have a great day y'all

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:09 am

Good morning!

Oh discussions with engineers! We need to buy a new mattress set for the new bed that we ordered. I know what we need, I have been doing the research, but engineers are a completely different animal to try to convince! Cats are easier to herd across a stream of water than convince a engineer! I will replace what we have, with the exact same. Brand, but the company doesn't call what we have by the same name anymore. Hence the engineer is driving me nuts!

Not much else here. Sarah is doing much better. Train is still up, one day has now stretched into two more days. :) Batt Cave is getting a organizing day today.

Stay Safe!
Hugs,
Jana

Return to “Sew ins”