Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tuesday, Jan 12

Daily discussions.
auntjana

Re: Tuesday, Jan 12

Post by auntjana » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:43 am

Good morning!

Here a bit late today.

I make my crib quilts about 45x48. That way they can be used as the baby grows up to a child. My lap quilts are the same width, just longer, especially if the person is tall. I don't like piecing backs to get the wider width, so I stick in the neighborhood of the above numbers.

My poor Sarah! Stu's elbow and her nose collided the other day and her nose has been quite painful. She was sent to the urgent care yesterday. They did a CAT scan, no broken nose, but the possibility of a severe infection or a possible puncture that is leaking brain fluid. They are testing for that as well. The puncture could have been caused by a Covid test she had before her surgery. She is now on a antibiotic. Also there is a new drug you can take that keeps yeast infections under control from when you take a antibiotic. Her poor face is swollen under the eye.

Not much here. Made the mistake of counting how many ornaments I have as I wrapped and put them away. I do have three trees I decorate, and just over 500 ornaments! Oh my!

Stay Safe!
Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:58 am

Good Morning Girls

Happy Tuesday..... Here I am .... late as usual... :lol:

Maryz... You sure opened a can of worms! What size is a lap quilt? I have to say, looking at the chart Lori posted.. most of mine fall somewhere between crib and lap... I just make a bunch of blocks... lay them out and if there's too many... then I have orphan blocks. :lol: :lol: Seriously tho I think I stay in the smaller crib-lap size because I can quilt those myself. Of course I googled where you'll be... looks like a very pretty area. So glad you decided to stay at the beach for a few days too.... just for some R & R.

Flo.... I can imagine how tired both you and Joe are from working on the house... Will be nice to let somebody else do the work for a while.

Judi.... The quilts I've been giving to the U of M cancer center have ended up being somewhere around lap size, maybe shorter than the chart Lyn posted... gosh I hope they are big enough for cancer/chemo patients. Hope you do get to sew today.... a day without sewing is.... well... just another darn old day!

Lois.... Such a nice mommy to do the kids wash! Laid awake last night thinking about my SS gift from you... I've never done bargello, but I sure want to give it a try. Think I'll google some youtube videos!

Sue... Not only are you baking a B'day cake... but from SCRATCH no less! Years ago I made carrot cake with real carrots... Oh my .. it was so good! Don't forget the cream cheese frosting! There's a recipe out there somewhere too where you use baby food carrots and it was pretty darn good too.

Diane... Hope all goes well at the Dr tomorrow! Do you have some hand work or something to keep you busy while you are laid up? How is Laura doing?

Velda... You'll be just fine, I would think with the quilt 82x88... once it's on the bed it will only be 2" longer on each side. Is it the yellow/blue one in the link below? It's gorgeous!

Valerie.... Never thought of cutting up my scraps into "tumbler" blocks... what a great idea! I usually cut 2.5" strips and maybe 5" squares, but it would be fun to have a bunch of tumbler blocks are ready to put together... Thanks for sharing that!

Lori.... Thanks for the chart! I printed it out and I'm going to hang it/tape it to the wall somewhere in my sewing room! Sorry to hear it didn't work out with your FIL, but so glad your DH stood up for YOU!

Sharon.... When you are at Costco.... wanna pick some TP for me! :lol: :lol: I've debated about getting a Costco or Sam's card... but I just know I would end up spending way too $$.

Jana... Oh dear..... poor Sarah!!! OUCH... a hit to the nose can be so painful!!! 500 Ornaments? yikes... though I think if I counted all the ones I have that I don't always use... I probably have close to that many. I rotate decor from year to year... some years I'm into blue, some years I decorate with just my hand made ornaments.

Well since it's now 11:00 and I'm still in jammies, I better get going. It's shower day and even tho I live alone and nobody visits... pppppp-u! :lol: I did get another UFO laid out yesterday and just need to pin... not sure if I'll get it all quilted today... but I'll get a good start. It's the blue version of Falling Triangles that I posted on the UFO contest. When I did the "Walk About" quilt, I made way too many FG, so I have enough to make a 2nd quilt with all of them and found some perfect fabric in the stash to go with the pink and black Geese. SO might play with that a little today.

Wishing you all a Great Tuesday... and sending lots of prayers for all in need.... and if you don't need!

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:32 pm

Just reviewed the chart of sizes. Guess my quilt is right in there. Mine is 82 x 88. And chart says 78 x 88. That's pretty darn close.

But I am glad that I didn't add a border to this one.
Thanks for sharing the chart with us, Lori.
Vel
HUGS, 💕 Vel

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:36 pm

About Kathy... ashe was doing ok till yesterday when she had some bleeding from her abdominal incision...a dr came and looked at it and said no infection...that is good...She was able to get out of bed today and stand and sit in a chair for 2 hours,,,,,very slow progress....that was from her daughter Kimberly....will post as I find out.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:45 pm

Judi, thanks for the update on Kathy.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”