Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Monday, December 21

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Monday, December 21

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:45 am

Good morning

Today is the shortest day of the year. Tomorrow we will get Another minute of daylight! In Alaska it’s quite a bit more than that – and my brother really celebrate this day.

Mary Q, your pickles sound delicious! I would love to have that recipe. Are you able to get enough cucumbers this time of year? My computer is being shipped to this RV park. Bill figured a month would be enough time. Maybe we figured wrong. We can call them and have it shipped to our next address which Will be 400 miles further south. We will be there for a month

Izzy, Did you ever have those baby goats

Valerie, i hope you can get everything sorted out and help from VA with dad‘s expenses. you will really enjoy the village quilt once you get to it. It’s a great scrap buster though I used a 20-FQ bundle from Quilt In A Day. It came out perfectly – no usable scraps left but I didn’t have to use any other fabric either. Other than the background.

Judy, how did your popcorn string turn out. It really sounds cute. One year I made garland from yo-yos I had made from Christmas fabrics. I really liked the homey look of that. But your crochet popcorn with red beads would be purrfect! Have you sat down and studied your Christmas ribbons pattern yet? That’s always a fun thing to do when you’re sew-jo is flagging.

Jana, when will your cave be finished? Bill is very picky about tires. They are a serious safety issue.

I got faces and caps done on my 9 norms yesterday. I will do the Nanettes later. It wasn’t quite warm enough to sit outside and eat dinner, but we did it anyway since we grilled burgers. Today should be 70°. Also tomorrow. Autumn has invited us to her house for a glass of wine and to talk about Christmas plans. Everything is weather dependent.

Today, sewing, reading, and maybe a trip to the quilt shop. I think I want some muslin. I cut about 100 5” muslin squares to use on my crazy quilt. Only to find when I got here they should be 5-1/2 inch and since it’s a big quilt I’m doing and it’s 1/3 finished at home, it’s a little late to change block sizes. I do have scraps with me and a sweet angel here sent me some more! That project is for after N&N gets done.

Make your day a good one!

Mary Z

fabricgirl

Re: Monday, December 21

Post by fabricgirl » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:03 am

Good morning Mary and all who follow,

Today is a laundry day then some sewing.
Mary you are really zooming through your quilts they are turning out beautiful.

Well there is nothing new to report so I will finish getting ready for the day.
I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:44 am

Good Morning...Dark and cold expecting snow...tonight there will be a christmas star but its really planets aligned...if it isnt cloudy it should be cool to see. Ken also celebrated today as his daylight happy day...he hates the short dark days...I might be wierd but I like it dark at supper and enjoy my evenings...
Today jeff takes his Project manager exam that will give him certification. he already does the job...but this might meam more money down the road.. but a 4 hour exam at home on line is stressful so Colleen and the kiddos and the doggies will come here for th day...not sure if school will be held here ot before they come...maybe we will bake cookies or something,,,Nolan has to be at schoool specific hours so he may stay home and be logged in for his classes...the noisy ones will come here,
I am running up to the store this morning for a couple of things,,,snacks for the kids...and some light corn syrup for a special cookie frosting .
Mary the popcorn garland is cute but I have only 10 done...so it will definately be for next year...I still have the hexi quilt all over my sewing room...maybe I will work on it tonight,,,this popcorn garland can be carried and worked on in the car or where ever so I can add as the year goes by, I dont want to open the other pattern because I will side track into it and create a ufo..so I will try to get the hexis done first...I ribbon quilt might be my florida project if we get to go...It is still up in the air. if everything is closed up we might not end up going...we shall see how january plays out..
wel I need to get moving,,,sun is coming up....have a great day all XXXXXXXXOOOOOOOO

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:54 am

Good morning!

Joseph and Ethan set up the telescope to view the Christmas star last night. Sarah's house, front, faces South, so Joseph opened the garage door with the telescope just outside to watch. It is way cold here to be outside. He will do it again tonight. Haven't heard how it was.

Tried my hand at my divinity last night. Let's just say, I have a nice batch of rocks. May try again today. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Oh well.....

Just a bit of handwork and Kate is coming over to work on Aaron's quilt.

Sarah sent me over a picture of her sewing room. The cabinets and island parts are in place. When I get to my other computer, I will share. It will be very nice.

Stay Safe!
Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:56 am

Good Morning!

We're back in the clouds and I can hear the wind howling outside! Warm today but snow on the way!

Maryz.... Happy to share the pickle recipe... one batch made 5 pint jars, so you can start small.. They have to be kept in the fridge, so a better project for when you get home. No trouble finding cukes... harder to find fresh dill. If it's just the 3 (or 4) of you for Christmas, don't you think you'd be safe inside? Or does Texas have rule about being together. In Canada, you can't have anybody not in your immediate family in your house or you get fined!

Lois...Same plan here for the day... laundry and sewing...

Judi... That popcorn garland sounds cute! You found the pattern on Youtube? I might have to look for it... as I know I have white yarn around here. May have to run to grocery store again too before Friday... I was hoping to avoid one more trip!

Jana.... Hope Ethan gets to the see the Christmas Star... How cool is that! Too cloudy here.
I'll watch for the pictures of Sarah's sewing room...How fun for her!

Looks like Kevin and family are coming to my house for Christmas day dinner... which is wonderful of course. But I didn't think they were so now I have to figure out what to fix. I have a frozen turkey breast that says it serves 10... but at 4oz serving per.. Are you kidding me? Who eats just 4oz of Turkey?? Hence another trip to the grocery store today or tomorrow.

I hear Mr. Maytag calling my name, so I better go give him something to do this morning...

Have a great day everyone!

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:43 am

Good morning all! Getting rain right now but supposed to turn to a bit of snow later. Not much going on today. Went to the bank this morning to get the cash for my grandsons Christmas presents. I give them cash because i can't keep up with what teenagers like, and I know both like cash. Got presents for all of my Grand furbabies so all done with what little I have to do as far as gifts. The adults don't exchange gifts anymore since it was down to giving gift cards all the time. Makes my Christmas easier. Got several nice thank yous back from the local charities I sent to.

Stopped and got the chopped steaks for the grill for our Christmas dinner on Friday. We decided to cook out on the grill and make it very simple this year since we had so much for Thanksgiving. Just having hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries , green bean casserole and ice cream. Can't get much simpler than that and can enjoy the day. Glad I stopped early and got the burgers because the meat market was very crowded and will get worse each day.

Going to get my Christmas DVD's out today and start watching them. I am a big Christmas Carol fan. Have several copies of different stars playing Scrooge. My favorite is Scrooge starring Albert Finney. It is a musical and I love the music. Another favorite is White Christmas.

Well better get going. Still haven't gotten back to reading all of the past posts. I am so far behind on what all of you are doing. Have a good day and for those of you traveling be safe.

Sherry

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:50 pm

Well here I am, almost bedtime and I decide to show up.

Judi, what kind of special frosting are you making. I bet your popcorn garland is just so cute. Any Kathy updates?

Jana, no Christmas star here, I'ts so foggy we can't even see the front yard.

Maryz, hope you get that computer before you move on. Did Autumn get her tree decorated?

Maryq, I vote for Enchiladas or maybe fried chicken for Christmas dinner. Sure would be easier. If you have turkey hope it thaws out in time. Jerry has a ham thawed out. After Christmas he will make white beans with ham and fried potatoes. I'll have a salad.

Sherry, I think your Christmas dinner sounds wonderful. I love a good burger. No bun for me.

No excitement around here. Kind of boring but I wanted to check up on you all.

Hope you have a good night,
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”