Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

November 20th its friday

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

November 20th its friday

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:17 am

Good morning warming up agAin today to the 60s;;; Liam nd I cleaned up another pile of debris from the basement...and now we wait for Ken to move a heat run....it will mean shuttung the boiler down while he does it....but we are not getting cold...He says only a few hours...then he will built th new storage room. that will be the next phase. Today some dusting and tidying up...I will wash the slip cover for a couch and then I can spend some time in the sewing room...Still squaring up the blocks.
I hope you all have a great day,,,I did most of my Christmas shopping got everyone done but Sophia...and i need to pick up gift cards for the adults...I manages to buy each one of the grandkids a real gift this year along ith their ornaments,,,Now to wrap all these gifts,,,Just pray to God everyone stays healthy for the holidays...My son is still sick but he says it is more like a flu than anything else...and he is up and about around the house...so that is a good sign,,,Praying each day,,,,,XXXXXXXXOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Re: November 20th its friday

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:33 am

Good morning,

Im awake early, thanks to The Dog. He has me so well trained. We were “only” about 82° yesterday. Nice Change from 93° Tucson. We did get to see Tina and her DH for about 15 minutes yesterday. we did a blackberry/chili swap with about 10 feet distance. Today we will finally be into Texas. But not to our destination. That is still about 750 miles

Ann, I feel the same way about making clothing now. And those giant 5/8” seams!😆

Chriss- how did Jerry do?

Judi-you are really making good progress in your basement! And little Liam is a hard worker. What a great grandson he is!

I read everybody’s post - too hard to answer on my phone. Computer I bring up two tabs and go back-and-forth but can’t do that on the phone. Y’all have a great day! We will be traveling around 220 miles today and hope to stop before trailer gets too warm. Kitty is a little better I think. At least he has come out of his little Fox hole And he’s eating and drinking. But he moves very slowly

Sew!

Mary z

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:46 am

Good morning!

Not much here. I got squirreled on Pinterest yesterday. A cute ornament. So made one and it is OK, so figured out a easier, better way to make it and will try one more. It is a Prarie point ornament, using a 5 inch square, if it comes out, share worthy with y'all, I will post a picture. If not, it goes to the ugly ornament category for my tree. There are a few of those in this house.

I am also playing surgeon and repairing the doll I made Gracie last year. Seems, Lila was loving the doll, Gracie saw that, said, my doll, grabbed said doll by a leg, Lila held on, and voile, a small tear that I need to repair. I need to get Lila's doll made, quick! Plus, they have lost all the clothes I made, so a few more dresses are needed.

So not much else here, quiet day sewing. The state relaxed one edict on gathering by families. We , if we chose, can gather for the holidays, no limit on the number. It was 10, but that is gone and they ask us to use good sense, keep it small and so forth. All the kids are other places, so it will be just Michael, me and a small turkey.

No news on my nephew, which I hope means he is doing OK.

Stay Safe!
Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:39 am

Good morning and happy Friday, it's going to be a great day today.

Everything went smoothly for Jerry yesterday, they removed 5 polyps that the doctor said were small and they will call us on December third with the pathology report.

I also got a lot done while he was at the doctor.. got my batting at Joanns, I am finally going to layer my bow tie quilt. got some mailing flat rate boxes at the post office. it was a productive day

This weekend, other that layering that quilt, my goal is to go through pictures. I inherited the family history in 1991 when my grandma died ( dads mom). It included all of her photo albums. That family line is me, my sister and a cousin. Neither of them have children and my son has no children. So, rather than leave it all for my son to go through I will send it to my sister and cousin. Feels kind of weird to think that my son is the end of my family tree.

Jana, exciting to get a new bedroom set, yay for you.

Maryz, did you get to Deming? I had thought the news said they were closing NM down? Hope your cat is feeling better.

Kathy, I save 2 1/2 inch squares and strips and 5 inch squares. Anything smaller is trash. and to be honest, I wouldn't even notice if anything was missing in my fabric totes so come on over and we will sort it all. So glad you like your ortho doc. thrilled that he was able to help you with shots. Very cool. always great when you have a good doctor experience. happy WM shopping. don't forget that TP.

Maryq, thanks for posting the picture of the Nativity. it is adorable. I'm not sure I would take on fixing curtains. I am even chicken about hemming pants, I have to watch a YouTube video each time. I have often told Jerry that just because I have a sewing machine doesn't mean I can sew.

Ann, I have read, not sure if it is still true, that the flannel is no longer used for childrens sleepwear because it is flammable. I guess they used to use some kind of retardant in the fabric and no longer do? thinking of a little 3 year old nightgown in a cute girlie print makes me smile. Give her a smooch from me. I so wish there was a little one in my family. Carolyn messaged me and said she was able to get on QIAD. I told her everyone wanted to know how she was doing and would love to hear from her. She didn't elaborate on her situation but it sounded like a prayer or two would be helpful. How is Paul?

Izzy, our Governor just put out a curfew, from 10pm to 5am no one is supposed to go out beginning tomorrow for one month. Really? who doesn't sleep during those hours. A sheriff in another county said she won't be enforcing it. that there is no evidence the virus is spreading during those hours and she won't make criminals out of law abiding citizens. Funny how you can go to WalMart and shop, hit the bar and go have dinner but can't go to church. Something is so backwards.

Judi, hope your son only has flu symptons, that it moves on quickly. I'm excited for your new basement.

That's it for me, time to get ready for work.

Enjoy your day,
Chriss
Exodus 33:14

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:49 am

Good Sunny Morning......all the way to 54* today

Happy to report my knees were really good yesterday. It's amazing how your state of mind improves with out pain.
I hear shortages have started with PT & cleaning supplies. So I got 2 TP at Wmart & 2 at the grocery store.
I can't let happen to me the last time.
Just had a long talk with my sister. Looks like her restaurant will close after Thanksgiving.. People, people wear you mask & this could end sooner.

Love & extra Prayers for those with covid..............Kathy

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:55 am

Good Morning Girls

Where is everybody? I'm usually the last one here! :lol:

Judi.... Good news that your son seems to have a Light case? This new uptick is starting to make me a little nervous about even going to the grocery store, but I have coffee and TP so I'm all good. I can't imagine what a mess you have in your basement, but then how great it will be when it's all day. Nice that you and Ken have a little helper to haul debris out!

Maryz.... So glad you got to see Tina, even from a safe distance! Would be a shame to be so close and not be able to see her! Good news that Foxy is feeling better... eating and drinking again is a good sign. Won't be too long now and you will be able to hug your DD... maybe spray you down with Lysol first? :lol: :lol:

Jana... Ah yes, Pinterest is a dangerous place. Would love to see your ornament. I made some for the kids using 4" wood hoops. Used my cutter machine to cut out transfer vinyl on pieces of fabric then decorated with ribbons and bows.

Chriss.... So glad Jerry's test is OVER! Poor guy! I figured they would be able to remove any polyups they found.. Now the crappy part begins... the waiting on test results.. I'll keep the prayers coming that every thing is clear! Oh my gosh.... what a job to go through pictures... I too have boxes of photos every where... a whole book of them from my trip to Ireland in 2000... who is going to want those after I'm gone? NOBODY. It is kind of run to look at the really old ones though.. I have pictures from my Grandparent wedding back in 1919 or so. Once upon a time I was going to make really neat scrapbooks to hand down... but then I discovered quilting and never went back to scrapbooking!

Ann.... SO good to see you come and visit! I used to sew clothes all the time for my kids when they were little. My DD hasn't forgiven me yet for making her wear home made clothes to school! :lol: Chriss is right about the flame retardant flannel.. It's almost impossible to find and it's expensive. I just use regular flannel for my Grand babies because they are old enough to know better than to climb up on the stove. Flame retardant flannel has an icky feel to it and not so very soft. It does take a while to get used to 5/8" seams again.. I have to mark my machine to remind me!

Kathy.... Glad to hear your news are feeling better... Yes, being "pain free" can really make a difference in our attitude! Don't you wonder if common sense has just gone completely out the door... Seriously people!

Since it's almost 10am, I think it's time I get in gear... refill the coffee and figure out where to start on my TO DO list for today. I finished the wall hanging for Sara's mom yesterday and just need to get a small dowel for hanging it. Not sure I'm going to be able to meet my sister for lunch on Sunday... I think restaurants are closed, but maybe we'll just meet at Joann.

Kevin and Corinne came over for supper last night... they are super anxious to move into their own new home... though I will sure miss them being so close to me. Kevin got my Christmas decor down from the shelves in the garage. Tomorrow I might get to have the kids for a while and they can help me set up my Precious Moment Village... It's so darn fun having them around! They taught me a new card game last night! See, I'm not too old to learn new things. :lol:

Wishing you all a Fabulous Friday

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:03 am

TGIF!

Chriss to answer your question on sleep, some of us Hospice nurses are out and about at those hours. Have been thinking I need to get a new letter from my employer incase I get stopped.

Not too much else new around here. Kitchen is essentially done. A few doors have some damage from shipping but they are up anyway. Can't tell and he has ordered new ones. He says someone probably dropped them on their side. I will post a picture maybe tomorrow. I do have to work today 10 - 4. It's the part time job. I have pretty much decided I am not going to stay at the job. It is not what I was told and I don't see anything changing. I was given a heads up on a 16 hr a week job working with my old boss so I will look into that. She is very happy there and says they are very organized, etc. I will try to stay at current one until I find something else but can't promise.

I am not sure what is going on with my iron. It seems to not want to glide smoothly. I have cleaned it inside and out, washed the ironing board cover and it is still sluggish. Maybe the fabric? Looking for ideas if anyone has any. It heats up good.

We are having shortages here, really people? They are not closing Walmart, Target, or the grocery stores. Get a grip. I have plenty so not worried though. Was able to get a 12 roll pack the other night.

Jana so sorry to hear about Dolly injury. They can be devastating! Glad you are there for the surgery.

DD is still suffering with Covid symptoms. She says the dizziness and sweating are the worst. I think the mild cases last about 10 days, not sure. Unfortunately even the mild cases are horrible. Glad she is not having to be hospitalized.

Well if I am to be at work on time, need to get in shower.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:47 am

Good morning all! Just got back from grocery store to get turkey for next week. I only need a 15 pounder and they are hard to find here. Rob in Indiana is not coming for Thanksgiving, but Doug and family are since they only live 15 miles away and I see them alot. Could not believe how busy the grocery store was already. I guess between Thanksgiving food and stocking up on other supplies everyone is going out.

We too have a 10pm to 5 am curfew here in Ohio except for workers and grocery stores. It has been a long time since I was out during those hours. So far the schools are open in most spots except the cities. The CDC says in person schooling is still the best place for kids.

Judi - Glad your son's covid is not serious. I saw where your governor has shut down almost everything. I understand not wanting to spread Covid but people have to work to support their families. I read of one person out of work for 16 weeks and still hasn't gotten an unemployment check. I am glad you like your Ford Escape. I have a 2020 one but it is red and I love it. I am only a Ford person.

Cindyg - So sorry I missed your birthday. Happy delayed birthday. Hope you are feeling better.

Chriss - So glad Jerry came through his colonoscopy all right. I have had on e and they are no fun. I too have lots of pictures to go through and sort. I got a plastic picture container from a company and it has plastic 4 x 6 containers inside. It will hold 650 pictures when I get done. It is a project to start after Thanksgiving.

Maryz - How is your kitty feeling?

Kathy - Glad you found out what was wrong with your knees. Hope the treatment works. If you need fabric let me know I will send you a bunch. I have more than I will ever use. Glad to give it to someone who can use it.

Becca - I need to get my flannel sheets out also and get them on my bed.

Valerie - Hope your DD gets over her Covid soon.

Well, time to go get something to eat. Prayers for all who need them. Have a good day.

Sherry

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:11 am

A short word on flame retardant flannel - once you wash that fabric, you lose it flame resistance. Most laundry detergents remove the effectiveness. Not sure, don't quote me, but I believe it was one of those laws that Congress passed, in trying to do their, "we know better than you laws." Just like the wattage of light bulbs, so you can't read what is going on. I use just the flannel I buy at the fabric store for all my grandkids flannel pjs. Even my flannel quilts, as it says that warning too. I know, I am a rebel! But one that has a few smarts from my years on this earth.

Jana

Return to “Sew ins”