Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

May 2,2020

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

May 2,2020

Post by fabricgirl » Sat May 02, 2020 4:39 am

Good morning Everyone,

Today will be a sewing day for me no mask have been requested by anyone so that what I will do we are going up to 70 today so this afternoon will be sitting outside on the deck may even bring my Yo yo 's out to keep me company.
Yesterday I ordered fabric and already got a confirmation that it shipped I've been reading on facebook that people are doing curbside pickups with there local quilt shops if I had 1 I would do the same and Joann's is far behind on there curbside orders.

Mary Z what did you get for your birthday.

Mary Q how is your brother.

Lori how is your film.

Well that's all the news everyone have a great day.
Lois

QuiltGram8

Re: May 2,2020

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat May 02, 2020 4:50 am

Good and Happy Saturday! I am thrilled with QIAD. I ordered fabric from them and expected delivery was 10 days out. I was OK with that since I wasn't in a big hurry and I was given a discount on shipping fee. Wow! My package arrived yesterday. That was only a week. Anyway, I was surprised and delighted to receive my order earlier than expected.
Now I can start my project of making 4 tote bags for gifts. I am using the same pattern as Denise. I love all those bags she has made. They are the perfect size and so useful.
Have a great day!
Vel
HUGS, đź’• Vel

Becca

Post by Becca » Sat May 02, 2020 5:04 am

Good morning everyone sunny here & a nice day ahead
Chris Praying for Jerry & you to stay well

Maryq Praying for your DBs healing

Cindyg Prayers for Dons healing & strength

Lois enjoy your deck sitting & yo-yo making I love my porch sitting Haven’t got to yet this year

Vel Happy your order came Know those totes will be lovely & enjoyed

Yesterday I saw a video on a mask that used a strip off a t-shirt for ties You just pull the t- shirt to stretch No sewing Then sew a casing on end of mask for ties Much simpler than ties like I made on mine

Got yard mowed & much paper
Work completed . In our family we have 5 birthdays this week Then 5 more rest of month May is popular lol
I must get moving I have laundry going
Have a wonderful day everyone stay safe
Becca

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat May 02, 2020 5:09 am

Good morning!

A wee bit chilly this morning. We were suupposed to be warm - I want to be warm! I chilled my bad knee the other night, so it is achy. Usually I put my heating pad on it and that does the trick, but, no, my heating pad decided to break. But since I am a engineer's wife, I did not let that deter me. We have a electric throw blanket, so I folded that up and put it over my achy knee, turned it on. Voile, it worked! Now I am on a search for a new heating pad.

Did a bunch of uglies yesterday, laundry too. Things are caught up. Even have a grocery order pending, to pick up on Monday morning. So will hobble down the stairs and play in the Batt Cave today. Sarah may be over to play in my garden space.

Stay safe!

Hugs,
Jana

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sat May 02, 2020 5:12 am

Good morning everyone we are headed into the 70s today....Maybe a little rain later. I am excited to get to open the windows. Got my sewing room tidy and clean and mask mking is still the order of the day. We here are still under house arrest. Although I agree with social distancing and masks and avoiding crowds and contact,,,,we are ready for the state tom open and gt back to business. If I owned a business I would just open and keep people at a distance plin and simple/// some noew will get the virus but many more will get well and be fine, It is like anything else if it will hurt you you avoid it...some folks die from a lot of other things and we grieve for them. well off the box/ going to get coffee.... ha a side story...Ken and I went up to one of our favorite fst food places,,,and got burgers and onion rings...we opened up our camper and had supper out there...it was kind cool///we would sleep out there but....a lack of potty makes it tough on us old people but we had fun anyway....I even sorted out towels and put away stuff out there...and made up the bed....it still need to be vaccumed. but I am ready. ( i did ger heartburn from the fast food) Our member campgrounds will open on MAy 15th without facilities..just campsites (no poolm or club house) no activities. but we might just opt for June to venture out...I am ready. hope the weather is cooperating with your plans....XXXXXXXXOOOOOOOO

velvet

Post by velvet » Sat May 02, 2020 5:22 am

"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" sang Mr. Rogers. The fundraiser for the Vets cafe yesterday in the parking lot was super great. Lou and Rhonda didn't realize how important the cafe and them are to the vets and us were surprised at the turnout. The line of cars and motorcycles at times were amazing to see. It was great to see the friends I have made with doing qov's there. Laura and I miss our Fridays there and will be happy when we can start up again. DRUM ROLL over $22,000. was collected. Hopefully that will give Lou the breathing room he desperately needed.

I hope everyone will have as great a day as I am having.
Stay safe
Diane

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Sat May 02, 2020 5:23 am

Good Sunny Morning............

Woke early today & happy to see the blue sky. About 8:30 I'm expecting the person to clean the yard & fertilize.
Not much going on other than that. I'm thinking of going over to visit my sister. I'm going crazy all by my self.

Lois........enjoy your sewing day. I wonder if my LQS is doing curb side pickup. I do keep forgetting to order a gift card for myself.

Val............sounds like a wonderful experience with our QIAD. What is about tote bags they are so much fun to make.

Love & prayers................Kathy

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 am

Good morning,

We're going into 3 days of rainy weather here, but I see some 70's in the forecast for late next week. So I can deal with a bit of rain now.

My birthday present was a sewing machine trolley! Made by Bernina, just for MY Bernina - with padding, pockets, castors, and an extending handle. Purrfect for travel. Bill always comes up with the best gifts!

LOIS - my LQS closed last December. Otherwise, I'd be doing curbside, too! What's your plan with your yo-yo's? Or do you have one yet? They get addictive. Do you use the template or just do them without? Only last year did I start using the templates and they sure come out nice and uniform.

SUZETTE - our Covid updates come towards the end of the day. WA is about 13,000 cases now and about 830 deaths. Our governor says the state will stay closed until May 31, though they will keep evaluating the situation through the month. They did open some construction, landscaping, and some outdoor recreation with restrictions.

VELDA - glad you were so happy with QIAD's rapid delivery! I am usually more than satisfied with their service, too. Enjoy those tote bags! I have one like that that Cindy made me years ago. Purrfect!

BECCA - you have a big birthday month! I think this is the year we all celebrate with texts to each other!

JANA - I should get a new heating pad, too. Mine is at least 40 years old, possibly 50. Still works, but I sometimes worry about old electrical stuff. I have some of those things you heat in the microwave. One is rice, one is lavender, and one is corn. They are nice, but don't hold heat for long.

JUDI - I would probably try to be first on the list to get into that campground! I need no amenities - just my trailer and my peeps. (my peeps being Bill, Dog-boy, and Cat-boy). OH, and some sewing, some handwork, and some books. We're been wondering if the national forests are open because you can just go up there, and, unless it's posted, camp wherever you find a comfy spot. And we know several comfy spots along the rivers. We just need some warmer weather.

DIANE - WOW! What a success! And how heartwarming! $22,000! Hopefully that will carry the cafe through to being able to open again.

KATHY - you can come sit in our garage with me! We can set up sewing machines, admire the Christmas lights we have strung up, play music, chat, maybe sip a bit of 'grape juice', and sew the day away!

CHRISS - we need a Jerry report. How is he doing? How is YOU doing?

MARY Q - how is your brother doing? Do you get daily reports? Our Joann's is open from noon to 4pm and they allow 30 masked shoppers in at a time. We were too early and I didn't want to wait 1-1/2 hrs so I didn't go in. But two people were already waiting! Hobby Lobbys here are still closed. Have you got all your new fabric sorted yet?

I might do a little laundry today. Or not. Life is so loosey goosey these days. I might bake some bread. I know I'll probably sew something, and I think I'll put in an on-line order with Joann's. I want a whole bolt of good quality 90" muslin (amazing how handy that stuff is!) and some fusible interfacingt.

Last evening we had a very happy happy hour with friends at their house sitting out next to their big koi pond. It almost put me into a zen state, sipping wine while watching those beautiful fish glide through the water and listening to the crackle of their campfire while we caught up with each other's lives. We all needed that!

Happy Saturday to you all!
mary z

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat May 02, 2020 7:53 am

Good beautiful morning, it's going to be a wonderful day today.

Our weather yesterday was perfect. windows open all day long and a breeze. Just enough wind to start my allergies and get my nose to running. I will get my steps in today just walking to the kleenex box.

We have an orange tree that last year gave us quite a few oranges and this year the tree is loaded with blossoms. My nose catches a whiff of them every so often and is off running. The pear tree, plum tree and apricot / peach trees. that silly tree has two fruits on one tree. Our tomatoes are just reaching for the sun. And Jerry has other stuff planted that hasn't come up yet. It will be nice to have a veggie garden again.

Yesterday we went to our local nursery. didn't find anything but they have a lot of stuff I didn't know they had. then went to a local store that won't survive this virus. they depended on the kids walking by as they got out of school or went there for lunch. They had fabric and I spent only $15 but sure could have spent more. They will let me know if they get more. After that we went to this bar that is supposed to have the best burgers around. they were fine but not great. They and a few other places offer curbside pickup.

Our little town is really a tourist town. People stop on their way to Yosemite to get the tshirt, motel, or to get snacks before going into the park. We have a lot of trinket kind of stores. Problem is, the park is closed and a lot of these businesses won't survive. Sadly the place where I bought fabric is one of them. I imagine in the next few weeks there will sadly be many bargains out there.

Jerry is feeling much better. His covid test was negative and he is taking antibiotics for the pneumonia. He will live and my living room and sewing room will stay in tact. I have actually been cooking. I told him to thaw something out last night and I would cook it for dinner tonight. I haven't asked and wonder what will be for dinner.

Diane, I want to see your Harry and Alice quilt. I bet its beautiful

Suzette, if it were me I wouldn't be going to the wedding shower. Here we had no cases of the virus and a 23 year old girl came back from being wherever she was. she infected her parents and whole family. the ages are from 2 to 57. I think we have 19 cases now and they are all related.

Lois, looks like you and I will be having similar days again. sneezing, blowing and mask making. I'd invite you to come here but not sure we could stay 6 feet apart in my little room.

Judi, where is that flannel, dang it. Hope it shows up soon. I wish I could take my sewing table and put it in the middle of the room like you did. My room is about 10x12, way too small for that. I would love to have a room the size of a portable classroom and just fill it up.

Becca, it will be interesting to see how the infection numbers go up as the states open. Our state is still "closed" and people here are also 50/50 about wearing masks. I didn't vote for our governor but am happy with the way he is handling this. I wrote him an email that he will likely never see telling him just that. Hope the doctor visit on Monday is quick.

Maryz, Can you actually go inside Joans? our local joans is closed I would have to travel further to go shopping than it's worth. Did your iron ever show up? what did you get for your birthday

Sherry, I think if our state was to open back up I would be a little nervous about going out too quickly. Seems like people would rush out and go crazy. I think I would see what the numbers are a couple of weeks after opening before trusting the "them or they" who make the decisions. I pray I am wrong.

Jana, I picture Ethan as a kid who enjoys everything, He just seems love whatever he is seeing or doing. what a great life he will have enjoying whatever he does. Seeds and plants are hard to find here too. Also baby chicks are being sold out. seems people buy the chicks for the eggs :lol:

Maryq, a couple of planter boxes on your deck, if it gets sun, would be a great garden. You don't need a ton of soil to plant tomatoes. Just get a pot and a plant and go for it. I will be making masks today too. the nurse told Jerry that people should have more than one mask because when you go out the mask you wear is contaminated and needs to be washed. Didn't think of that so I am glad she told him.

Maryz, yay, a trolley. Bill is a good boy.

I am so anal. I want to get these little clips, like wonder clips but a cheap knock off brand. So for the last few days I have been looking at Amazon trying to find the best deal. I am even figuring our the cost per clip so I get the biggest bang for my buck. Really the savings is only going to be a few cents. Today I will make my amazon purchase and move on with my life. I'm such a dork.

I would like to suggest that if you need beef or pork or any other meat that you consider buying an FFA animal. These kids have raised their animals for auction at the local fairs that are now not happening. they have put money and time into these animals. The animals won't fit the criteria for the next fair so they are stuck. It is expensive to purchase a whole steer but perhaps if a few people went in on it it could be a bit more affordable and it will fill the freezer. Just a thought.

I hope you all have a marvelously wonderful day. and especially that you stay healthy.

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat May 02, 2020 7:57 am

Good Morning Girls

Such a beautiful day.... too bad I'll be spending it INSIDE! Remember when I used to LOVE Saturdays... because I didn't have to go to work... well I'm not loving Saturday so much now... It's CHORE day. and OMG is this house in need of some serious ugly cleaning! I've ignored so much since I've been sewing masks... But I HAVE to clean today.. dust, vac, floor washing, toilet scrubbing, kitchen cleaning, maybe some window washing. It may be a "two pots of coffee" day! :lol: :lol:

Lois... Thank you for asking about my brother.. Yesterday's report was good. Though they are trying to manage his pain level. He may go home tomorrow. Hope your fabric arrives quickly... it sucks to have to wait for so long.. Even Amazon isn't shipping very fast.. It will say it's been shipped but taking 2 weeks to arrive. I'm not going to complain though... these are extraordinary times... Nothing is as it was.

Velda... Lucky you that your QIAD arrived so fast! That really is amazing these days. I'll have to check out Denise's bag pattern... not that I need more tote bags but they do make great gifts!

Becca... Thank you again for the prayers for DB... I think I've seen that same video using t-shirt strips for masks. Luckily I have elastic on hand... and more on the way. I'm just making the pleated ones. Though I did try a pattern I got from my cousin and I'm liking that pattern too.... no pleats!

Jana.... "Where there's a will, there's a way" right? Glad you were able to get some warmth on the bad knee. Aren't the stair a killer on the knees! :)

Judi....How fun to "play" in the camper. My oldest DB just a new Air stream this spring and they are anxious to take it out on the road. So far, they've only had a "sleep over" in their driveway! I think we are all getting antsy to get back to normal... I miss just being able to wander around Joann or even the grocery store without a sense of urgency or fear of catching something.

Kathy.... I think we are going to go bonkers soon... miss human contact! I'm really craving hugs from my Grand kids!

Maryz… Boy that Bill sure knows what it takes to make you happy! What a guy... I think you should keep him... just feed him once in a while! Yup.... all the new fabric is sorted. I've washed some of it and it's stored in tote boxes for now.. I'm itching to get at it! I did find a few odd pieces of colors that I probably won't use, so I will use for masks instead. This gal had great taste in fabric and I was thinking yesterday how I wish I could talk to her and find out what her plans were for things.

Chriss…. Have been thinking just that... a couple pots of tomatoes on my deck... It gets sun all afternoon! In MN we don't dare plant tomatoes until Mem. Day weekend... and I think I just might have a pot in the garage somewhere. SO glad to hear Jerry is feeling better.... that pneumonia can really knock the stuffing right out of you... And SO glad it's NOT Covid!!!

Well, this house isn't going to clean itself, so I better refill the coffee cup and get to it. The sooner I get it done, the sooner I can get back to the sewing room.... which is where I would much rather be!

Wishing you all a Super Saturday

Return to “Sew ins”