Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thuesday April 23rd

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Thuesday April 23rd

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:15 am

Good morning, Dark out and cold. I was up at 5 this morning,,another night of less sleep. I have an appointment this morning to get my prolia injection...I have to admit I am a little nervous about going to the hospital for it...I talked to the nurse yesterday she said she felt it was safe to come to the infusion center as no covid patients were any where near there, and everyone was screened before entering the building...temp questions masks given at the door. I will take an n95 mask I have here, Ken had a box in the paint shop at work. we kept a couple in case we needed to go out. ( He donated 40 to the hospital.) I made more tie masks last night,,,Businesses that will start to open are now asking for them for their employess...one company asked us for 500...we certainly can try our best but that is more than we can do on short notice. So we will make what we can, I have about 30 done as tie ones take a bit longer...I am starting to go through the scrap boxes for large enough pieces...and the Fq pile is dwindling. I am happy to use up a lot of this. I have a few pieces of "What was I thinking" fabric too. I will have some room for new fabric when this is over with...if it ever is. Hope you are all having a great go of it,,, somedays it is hard and others are ok...Our governor is talking extending it another 2 - 3 weeks....not sure economy can take it,,,but we will survivie...XXXXXXXXOOOOOOO

billizzy

Re: Thuesday April 23rd

Post by billizzy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:32 am

Good morning Grammies. Are you wishing it was Tuesday still. :D You created a new day of week. Thuesday :lol:

Well trying to get ufos done so got room for my UGRR blocks. I got 4lap quilts trimmed and binding done. 1 more to bind and two to sandwich tie then bind. Then those can be put away until we can return to visiting.

Got my DDIL quilt top done for her mom bday. Now to wash baking and get it loaded on LA.

Nothing else new here.

Nope didn’t pass stone still hanging out up in kidney. So waiting but hoping will break up on own since I am off all Ibuprofen and supplements. Weird taking just 2 pills 💊

Hugs 🤗 prayers 🙏 happy stitching 🧵
🐐izzy

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:43 am

Good Morning, Judi. What a wonderful person to make so many masks. No doubt you will do fine getting your injection. The hospital will take all precautions, I am sure.
We are having a virtual visit for DH today with our Nurse Practitioner. He got blood test on Monday, today is video visit. He needs meds renewed and she always makes us have an annual check up before she renews them. This will be a new experience for us.
I mailed 5 envelopes last Friday to several relatives with 2 masks inside each envelope. Estimate day for delivery was Monday. None of them have been received yet. Mail delivery must be delayed. All were not going far. I will be glad when I finally hear that each of them have been received.
Time for coffee.
Have a good day.
Vel
HUGS, 💕 Vel

velvet

Post by velvet » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:00 am

Good cloudy morning from Myrtle beach. Supposed to get heavy rain later, hopefully during the night hours. The gov. is opening up the beaches soon. Get this also the furniture and car dealers??? I don't know of anyone that needs these types of stores at this time, do you? LOL
The kids are doing okay on Long Island, but very scary with the counts still going up slowly.
How is everyone else and their families fairing with this now? Here we started just alittle after 2/2 with the warnings. But we are safe and lucky to say no one we know has the virus.

Please be cautious as the rules are easing up.
Keep safe.
Diane

Becca

Post by Becca » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:00 am

Good morning everyone rainy here
Yesterday was my day out I got our bread from DGD & I went to a store for first time since March 12 It’s one many don’t use so I felt better about going They had sanitizer gloves & paper towels for you to use

Judi I sure hope Hospital is safe Sure they will check your temp

Izzy I sure hope that stone passes soon My DD had a Hugh one so she had surgery which was a big ordeal because of size

Valerie Imsorry sorry about your job & travel time Praying something will come open for you

Maryq We haven’t seen twins in a while but see pictures They are growing & doing great so precious DH is doing ok because he stays in all the time anyway unless he has appt Pallative care does phone call orfacetimes So happy about your fabrics What a find

Velda We got YPaper from our DGS & it took 4 days & he is only 11/2 hrs away I’ve noticed it’s all slower now

I didn’t get my unglues done I am doing some more masks for someone here that needs them ties take longer Wish I could get elastic
Have a great day & try to do your best Becca

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:56 am

Thank everyone for their kind responses to my situation. Prayers appreciated.

I stopped at the grocery on my way to work yesterday. Store had been open 90 min. Oh my gosh, i was still able to get 6 roll of TP, 6 rolls of Paper towels and a large can of Lysol spray!
That I believe was devine intervention.

Becca been thinking about the twins. Glad they are doing good.

Chriss saw Moose on FB. He is so cute.

How is everyone doing during all this. I think I finally got Dad to at least partially understand. Reminded him of how illness spread during the 30's Polio epidemic and this was spreading equally as fast if not worse. His mother contracted polio so he could remember that.

I hope everyone is well and wishing I could spend more time here. For now, gotta start getting ready for work
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:07 am

Good morning!

MARY Q - The value of a good potty can never be overestimated! You are really replenishing your stash! And I'm betting that gentleman is thrilled he's found a place for all his wife's fabric where he knows it will be treasured and used. I'm happy that spring is on it's way to you. Our birds are all back and putting on a happy concert for us this morning. And one is nesting in the fake Christmas wreath we forgot to take down near the garage door.

VAL - that really sucks about your job. I am praying you can find a new position quickly. I think if I were going back to work now I"d like to find a position in a day surgery facility. Great hours and low stress. I'm glad you were able to find a way to explain this pandemic to your dad. How is he doing, otherwise? Glad you are keeping your caregiver so you don't lose her. As I read your post yesterday, that was the first thing that popped into my mind!

JUDI - I'm betting you will be safe at the hospital for your injection. Our governor just announced he will probably start opening things about May 26. Another month. I think he's smart to be safe but of course, we have protesters that want everything open now. And we have protesters saying he's not doing enough to keep us all safe. It's the old "you can please some of the people all the time . . . ." adage. That's a LOT more masks! Especially when you have to make strings. Is everyone in your group out of elastic? You are all saints!

IZZY - sure hope that stone passes soon! Or dissolves. Better than someone having to go get it! How is your mom doing?

VELDA - a lot of folks are doing "tele-doc" these days. Our friends even saw their cardiologist and rheumatologist and our other friend, Betsy, had her semi-annual check up with her lung transplant doctor at U of WA that way. Everyone seemed to think it worked well. And I think the mail is overwhelmed because so many people are mailing more stuff now. It took 9 days for two masks to get to my sister. We never did receive our comforter mailed in Jan or the iron we ordered 5 weeks ago. All USPS.

DIANE - I think keeping a 6-ft distance in a car dealership wouldn't be too difficult. We've been thinking there might be some good car deals soon. And we'd love for our furniture store to open because our furniture is there, waiting to be delivered to us! And when we were shopping for it last January there wasn't anyone else in the store - just us and two sales associates. Distancing was happening there long before we'd even heard the term. But no way would I go to a hair or nail salon now, a theater, a sports event, or a church service.

BECCA - It's weird to go to a store after so long. We went to Costco yesterday morning during the elderly hours. They did a very good job using rows of carts to fashion a single pathway into the store. Carts were sanitized before being given to you. The crowd was thin and everyone, employees and customers, were all wearing masks. Some aisles were one-way. Only 2 or 3 people were allowed in the produce room at a time, line of travel in there was one-way, and they had tape on the floors at 6' intervals for those in line. Also, employees were everywhere sanitizing everything and there was one line for check out with another person directing shoppers to cashiers. Each check-out station was sanitized completely between customers. Like almost everything Costco does, they had a plan that was quick, thorough, and well thought out. We felt very safe. Forgot to check if they had TP, though, because we didn't go down that aisle, but we did see they were out of fresh chicken and canned green beans.

After that Costco trip, we came home and wiped everything down before putting it away. Then we were both off to chiropractor. We saw Bill's XR's and we could see he has arthritis in his entire spine, but feels no pain from it, which the docs think is odd. But he's my Bill and I love him, odd or not. We also picked up our mail and my gold thread arrived so I spent the afternoon putting some fancy stitching on my crazy blocks. I got 32 done in less than 2 hours with another 88 to stitch. Then I'll go back to making more blocks. They are really addictive. And such a great use of those small scraps!

Wishing you all a safe and beautiful day! And a full bobbin!!

Mary z

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:29 am

Judi - I think you'll be just fine going for your Prolia. I admire you girls for making all those masks. What are you putting in them at the nose area so they can be molded around the nose?

Becca - hooray for your day out. When we went to Lowe's last weekend they had paper towels and several bottles of spray and hand sanitizer where they have the buggies before you even get into the store.

Diane - our rules are loosening here, too. Some of our beaches are open as of last weekend. In our county it is mandatory for everyone to wear as mask per a county judge. She said anyone without a mask will be arrested. The police chief laughed at her - he says his officers are fighting crime and don't have the time to do mask monitoring and I have to agree with him. That judge is an idiot. When they open furniture stores and car dealerships I bet a lot of bored people will be out buying just for something to do. LOL

Velda - maybe your relatives will get their masks today. I hope your DH has a good video visit and he can get his prescriptions filled.

Izzy - are you teaching on line these days or are you off until next school year?

Maryq - you getting that deceased lady's fabric reminded me of the time that Vicki's friend wanted to bring her deceased sister's fabric over (she made quilts and long armed hers and others quilts) because Sue and I were going to Vicki's for a sew-in. She said it was a couple of boxes but when she showed up she had the entire back of the truck full as well as the back seat - all quality quilt shop fabric, a lot of it was bolts. The three of us spent hours going thru all that fabric. I'm a washer before fabrics go back to my sewing hole and it took me forever to wash all that. The bolts that I brought home I cut in 5-yard segments before washing. Sue and I refer to those fabrics as "dead Edith's fabric."

Yesterday my new handyman came by to took and give me a quote to fix some sheetrock spots in the house and to paint the guest bathroom, hallway and the guest bedroom. Don hates to paint but it MUST be done so..... Now I have to choose paint color and go buy it. Also, on Saturday, the men are coming to install our new back door - yea - no more snake hole. Don will be working so my sister is coming over to visit while the door men are there. I haven't seen her in a couple of months and she's VERY glad to get out of the house - LOL. Don's having chemo today. He's taking himself as they won't let anyone in to sit with him. He's glad as he feels like if someone goes with him that he has to entertain them. He'd rather play games on his tablet and nap. The couple from two doors down stopped by last night (we stayed outdoors and at least 6' apart) because they had been to Bu-cee's and picked up two jars of pickled beets (yuk) for Don because they know he likes them. Don was surprised at that when he got home from work late. Also the neighbor across the street came over the other day and talked to Don for a few minutes and asked how he was doing and if there was anything he could do for him. Don said no, all was OK right now. Mike just really wanted to do something for Don so he said that his lawn people come every Friday and he was going to send them to our house to take care of our lawn until Don is better. WOW That was unexpected but Don is grateful. Made me cry.

At work so gotta go.

I hope you can all fondle fabric today.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:44 am

Good morning chickadees. it's going to be a great day today.

The weatherperson just said it will be 10 degrees warmer today than it was yesterday and in the 80's by the weekend. All that heat is going to make my tomato plants reach for the sky and blossom like crazy. Next thing will be little green orbs replacing the blossoms and then poof, they will turn red then everyone had best stay out of my way because the first one is mine.

Jerry had a two day kick his butt cold but he is better now. He slept for two whole days and nights. I know he had a fever but also learned he had given our thermometer to Marilyn and we couldn't check it. He is doing much better today.

Jana, thanks for the pinning tip. Especially the sew the sides down as the strings are sewn on. I haven't used strings yet but if I need to I will keep that in mind. Went to the store for Jerry yesterday. some were and some weren't wearing masks. I have elastic coming, it might get here after this is over.

Maryq, dang, that was quite a fabric haul. Sounds like you could open your own fabric store with all of it.

Judi, 500 is a lot of masks. Here a group asked our quilt group to make 200. For us that was a lot, I didn't take part, they had plenty of helpers. We have a package of N-95 masks, I think there are 3 or 5 in the package. We haven't opened them yet.

Velda, I signed up Jerry and me for the teledoc yesterday. If we need a doctor visit we can call or video with them before going into an office. All mail is slow, my slippers are on hold in a post office someplace. by the time they get here it will be summer and they will be too hot to wear. That's what I get for ordering non essentials.

Diane, things are going to very slowly open up around here too. But get ready. as soon as the "all clear" is given people will flock the grocery stores and poof, the shelves will be empty again. We also aren't jumping the gun to get out. I think when things are opened we will see another spike because sick people will be out and about. glad your kids are well.

Becca, glad the twins are doing well. I ordered some elastic from QIAD. it hasn't shipped yet but will likely get here after the pandemic is over. Just getting to go get bread can be a blessing, it's good ot get out sometimes.

Valerie, yay for lysol and tp. Some girls want diamonds and furs, we want Lysol. :lol: Glad you got dad to understand. Prayers for you and the job stuff. Hopefully they will see the need for an office near you. Yes, Moose is cute, he's also a stinker.

Cindy, I have some floral wire that I bought for heaven only knows what, I fold it twice and make a sleeve for it then sew the sleeve into the mask. It bends over the nose nicely. How nice of the lawn neighbor to help with your yard, such a kind gesture.

Maryz, Imagine, when this is all over, all these things we have ordered will show up and be piled on the front porch.

For me it's time to make breakfast. I have leftover enchiladas and think I will fry them up and put a fried egg on top, yum.

You all have a great day
Chriss
Psalm 91

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:15 am

Good morning!

Cindyg - I had some pipe cleaners from when I was the Activity Day Girls leader, and have used the pipe cleaners sewn in the top binding for over the top of the nose. Right now I am sewing masks for a service project with the church and they have nothing over the nose. That is the way the kit came. So I think it is OK either way.

I have 30 more masks pinned, ready for the ties. That leaves me just 20 to make today. I was worried about making all of them in order to be turned back in on Saturday. I wil be done on time.

I moved my favorite, good sewing machine and put in her place, my backup machine. Another really good Pfaff, that doesn't get used much. Michael was seeing the hours sewing masks was using my favorite machine like it was a industrial sewing machine, not a home machine, it is made to be. I am sure he is right. Gave my good Pfaff a very good cleaning - found a spot I miss when cleaning the bobbin case. Boy, I have never had a dust bunny that big in there! It was more the size of a Sasquatch bunny!

Not much different here. The state will start opening more things come the first of May. We will lag still here before we head out to be in the crowds. I still have a box of fabric I ordered, I haven't even opened yet! Even a new Lori Holt book in the bix. Too busy sewing masks, but oh how I am loving being helpful and useful!

Stay Safe! Be the tortise, stay slow too!

Hugs,
Jana

Return to “Sew ins”