Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

April 22, 2020

Daily discussions.
TeresaK

April 22, 2020

Post by TeresaK » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:47 pm

Good morning
I hope you all have had as good a week as you can. Thanks to my hubby we have just saved over $600 - YEA. Our dishwasher was really going downhill to the point where we were washing the dishes ourselves and decided to wait until July to get one on sale. Well a few days ago I came out to the kitchen and half his body was in it. He does have a nice toosh, LOL!!! He had taken it all apart, cleaned out the gunk and it really was gunk. It is running beautifully now to the point that we do not need to rinse off the dishes. Well he doesn't but I do. Got to give the girl a break and make her as long as possible.

With the 1.5 weeks of rain (WOW) we had we have a beautiful front yard with very pretty GREEN weeds. They are staying I told him!!! It doesn't matter to me whether it is weed or grass. They are pretty and GREEN. Now the backyard is definitely Grass! It hasn't looked this good in a few years. It is nice to sit outside again and just relax in a sea of green with flowers and grapes. Thank you Lord!!!

It is with sadness to say that I have decided NOT to have a May and/or June Lotto for many reasons.
*The attendance is just not here. Even though I made the blocks quick and easy there has been a small gathering for all 4 months. The Lotto is supposed to be a FUN place to go and enjoy making blocks and possibly quilts with winning blocks.
* Also because many of you are making masks and working on other projects going on inside and outside of the home. I hope you are all being careful.

I hope you understand. A Lotto is no fun without you here.
I hope in time when the virus calms down (Praying) many of you will let me know when it is a good time to start again.
Prayers and Blessings to you all.
T

fabricgirl

Re: April 22, 2020

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:21 am

Good morning Teresa and all who follow,
Teresa so happy that your hubby was able to fix it great saving for you .
I dont blame you about the lotto I haven't done to much of anything but make mask and a few little do dads.
Today we are going to put our gear on and make a Bjs and shoprite run I dont even look forward to that anymore it's always hurried and I can't take time to scan barcodes for w.w.
2 weeks ago I bought the wrong yogurt and then having to wipe everything down way to much and I do bring lists when we go.

Well that my today yesterday I put 30 more masks in the mail they do add up.

Everyone have a great day I feel like we are all in that movie ground hog day
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:37 am

Good morning Lois, Teresa and those who follow.
Yesterday we did carry out dinner from a local restaurant and we won a Visa gift card. I forgot to ask how much it was for. This place has been doing well during all this sheltering in place and wanted to give back. I finished the Halloween quilt and will be going to the UPS place to ship it. Well, I am off to get another cup of coffee. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Lois - good luck on your errands today.

Teresa - doesn’t it make you feel good to fix something instead of buying a new one?
Suzette

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:26 am

Good morning everyone sunny here
Teresa So happy your DH was able to fix your DWasher And I too love green grass Ours is lots of weeds too because it’s not fertilized anymore As long as it’s green that’s ok

Lois I too go out to get bread from DGD Never thought that would be a big deal lol

Suz Sure your quilt will be loved
Must get moving I have to do uglies & it’s a big deal to go anywhere anymore Doning the mask & everything Hope your day is good. Stay safe Becca

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:51 am

Good morning it is sunny and cold here,,,28 but at least its sunny. My seasonal affective disorder is subsiding, I have been walking outside at least once a day. I stopped making many masks here the demand is kind of down. but I have a pile if needed..I started to work on block 4 of my anowman quilt and not only did I do the applique bakwards (needs to be reversed) I also ironed it on the block upside down...there is no saving it and I will have to do over....GRRR Maybe I should go back to masks...I do have about 15 more cut so I may just sew them later today,,,I did put a loaf of bread to rise this morning and trying to decide if I should hit the small grocery store for a few things this morning also. I can live without them but I may need a break from this house...I havent started the windows yet it is too darn cold..
Last night My DDIL 2 grand daughters and my gtrst grandson stopped by,,,,I havent seen them in so long...Ryker brought me a picture done with his hand prints turned into piggys,,,(his mom is very creative) and it says "Hogs and Kisses" He even wrote his name on it...of course there were hugs all around,,,They are in the house 24/7 also. we both have been to the store 2 or 3 times in the 6 weeks.. we feel A hug would not hurt,,,It felt so good to be at least that close for a few minutes,,,they stayed for about 20 minutes . I was renewed and refreshed,,, I have the best family...DDIL also bought me a pot of pansies...to brighten up the front porch,,,well I think my bread dough is risen and it will go into the oven in a bit...stay safe XXXXXXXXOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:03 am

Good morning!

We are supposed to have a rainy day today, which is OK because it keeps our Evergreen State ever green! And our grass is a lot of dandelions, too. Whoever decided dandelions were a weed and not a flower? Our lawn is a field of cheery little yellow blossoms! Bill mowed yesterday, but they will be back soon.

TERESA - glad your DH was able to save your dishwasher. We weren't so lucky with our fridge. So our new one will be delivered April 27th

LOIS - we'll be going to Costco this morning, our first grocery shopping of any kind in 6 weeks. Thank goodness we have a garage 'beer fridge' because we'll be filling it up.

SUZ - Have the parties stopped on your street? Congrats on your big win of a visa card! We try to order from one restaurant or another at least once a week, too.

BECCA - nice that you have a bread supplier in the family! I was going to bake some today, but since we decided to go shopping, we'll buy some if there is any to be bought.

JUDI - what a sweet card, a pansy, and a HUG! You DO have the best family! Sorry about your block 'going sideways'. We've all been there! Hope it didn't short you any fabric.

Yesterday I was able to piece a backing for my Paris throw quilt for Autumn. I had enough fabric left over from making the top (the print was a road map of Paris) and I used that to flesh out my backing fabric. Autumn lived in Paris, going to school for a term, plus she honeymooned there almost 20 years ago. I think she'll like the back even more than the front! Today is Costco and then I'll be going to the chiropractor. I've not gone in several weeks and I can sure feel it! Then I think it's time to start getting some tops on the quilting machine. I think I have about 15 to quilt. I will be doing most of them, but Bill will do a few - I hope.

Take good care, make some fun, stay healthy!

mary z

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:15 am

Good morning!

I will be in the Batt Cave sewing more service project masks. They sew up quick. All the masks are precut, and notched where you do the folds. The first ten were a learning curve, but I figured out a better way to pin the folds in place and keep the pins out of the way to sew the ties on. So I am enjoying my little part in sewing some of the 5 million masks. When we picked up the bag of kits, I think every sewer in my end of the valley was there too. We just drove up, opened the back door window, the girl, gloved and masked, tossed the bag in and off we went. The Church set up quite a few pickup locations to get the kits distributed. Delivery back is Saturday morning. This will be happening for a couple more weeks.

I will also be making some of the other masks for my front porch pickup for my Ward.

So that is my to do list for awhile. Oh, we do need to get our truck and Solara emission tested, to be registered this year. The place we take the cars will sanitize before the mechanic does the work and then after, before we take the vehicle home. Wouldn't need to do this, except the registrations run out the end of April. Great timing! LOL!

Stay safe!

Hugs,
Jana

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:21 am

Haven't been here in a bit. Very busy with life changes. A quick run by to catch up.

My company has been purchased and they are closing my office. The office is merging with the Pleasanton office. That is a 43 mile drive from my house one way! One of the worst commutes in the bay area. I have looked around and placed a few applications but no phone calls to be hopeful about. One called but pay is half of what I am making and that just won't work. So starting next Friday, my commute doubles unless a miracle happens between now and then.

Spending a lot of time disinfecting things around the house. Mainly Dad's room, kitchen and bathroom. So afraid of bringing home this virus to Dad. DH is not working but is getting 75% of his salary and his benefits. While it is nice to leave him chores, etc, my does he need to go back to work. I am keeping on the caregiver as I am afraid to lose her. We finally have a good one and don't want to take any chances.

We are out of masks at work, real low on disinfecting cloths. I have tried several times to order to no avail. Orders get rejected. I did send an email to corporate yesterday with no real response. I am trying to make masks but not able to complete them fast enough. No elastic so making the tie kind and no bias tape maker so they are by hand. If anyone has a few extra we would sure be able to use them. Hate to ask but I am the only sewer in the office.

Dr. is trying Dad on half his diabetes medication. So far okay. He had a phone appt. Rather I had a phone appt he did not want to talk to her. I need to call the cardiologist and see if we can get a phone appt there also. His pulse is running a bit low, in the low 50's. He is not symptomatic though so that is a good thing.

It is supposed to start getting warm here. We have put in a small garden. Tomatoes, zucchini, strawberries, herbs, bell peppers. Praying it does well.

I see it almost 6:30 so best get ready for work.
Prayers for all who need them.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:50 am

Good morning, the rooster has crowed, the sun is considering peaking over the mountain. Jerry just made cinnamon raisin toast so there is a good smell in the house and Moose is waiting for his bite. I am sitting and having coffee with people I like. It's a great way to start the day.

Sherry, last Friday and again this Friday will be dinner at my dad's. Last Friday I picked up burgers. This Friday dad will be picking up dinner at the Elks club. We all need some kind of human interaction.

Becca, we often lose things. Jerry is a setter. He sets things down and heaven only knows where. He usually finds what he is looking for but could save lots of time by just putting things away in the beginning. If I don't want to lose something I put it in my sewing room. Only I go in there.

Diane, I also hope that this is over long before October.

Kathy, it is so wonderful to have kids who care so much about their mom that they scold when you go out. Funny how they forget you are an intelligent grown up. Hope your sister found that chicken.

Maryz, hope you are loving that new fridge. I couldn't even tell you what is in the cabinet above our fridge, but now I want to go look.

Maryq, it's good to be you. A fresh new potty and a stash of fabric for sale. Sounds like your needs are met.

Izzy, you sound busy. How is your mom doing?

Lori, I so wish Jerry would go someplace for a few days so I could go through things here. He just hovers. Yesterday I actually cooked dinner. He walked in the kitchen and I had to tell him if he hovered I would quit. He walked away. :lol: How is FIL?

Teresa, it's probably a good idea to give the lotto a break. Participation is also way down in the swaps. It's just a crazy time. Glad you enjoy your sea of green, I sure enjoy mine.

Lois, hope you find everything you need today.

Suzette, yay for being a winner. what to buy what to buy?

Judi, I bet it felt good to see the kids. It sure made me smile.

Jana, how are you pinning the folds of the masks ? I put the head of the pin to the inside so the point is near my sewing needle, do you have a better way? do tell.

Val, so good to hear form you. glad you still have the home care person. sorry about the commute but thankful you have a job still.

Oops, it's almost time for me to get to work and I have that huge commute. Hope you all have the most marvelous day ever.

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:02 am

Chriss -

I am putting the pins on the fold vertically, instead of horizontally, away from where I am sewing the ties on. That way, it holds the fold - two pins on each fold near the outside edges. If that makes any sense.

So to speed me up - I pin all the masks first, then add the ties. Oh, these ties go on, down the sides of the masks, not across the top or bottom, catching and sewing the folds in place.

Jana

Return to “Sew ins”