Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday April 15,2020

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Wednesday April 15,2020

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:30 am

Good Morningand Happy Hump day,
Yesterday we went to the scavenger hunt still no lysol wipes no paper products I'm getting to hate to foodshop anymore
Today I will be indoors sewing but I dont know what that will be.

Well I guess I will go and get ready for the day we do have to keep up with our appearance lol.
Everyone have a great day and remember stay 2 yards apart

Prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Re: Wednesday April 15,2020

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:53 am

Started a post and it poofed,,,,couldnnnnt get it back...Good Morning Lois....More mask pick up today...I only have 18 done...Many are ties and a lot slower....but another nursing home has requested,,,we did 80 yesterday and we have a new quilter in our group...She is layed off from her job, and new to quilting, but making masks...she had a large amount of elastic and shared some with all of us......I will still work on my snowman today, more masks to cut out and prep...it has become a real issue of no masks. these places are not on the short list for supplies. Nursing homes dont seem to be a priority since they say they cannot bring it in out out...but employees go home each day and come back...one of our nursing homes had 31 cases and many employees tested positive ( another of my nieces works there) they are issued one mask...period...and have to use it untill it breaks down...such a sad day...but we make our masks to cover theirs and hope it prolongs the use till they can get more. Seems residents of the nursing homes are such low priority....breaks my heart...
My niece and nephew who are quarentined are doing well as you can with 3 rowdy little boys no one in the house is sick now but they must stay in for 14 days...it appears they were very lucky. well I need coffee Stay safe. (that seems to be the farwell greeting even on the phone these days) No longer have a good day,,,,XXXXXXXOOOOOOO

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:04 am

Good morning everyone sunny here but in 30s Yesterday we were 75
Lois I haven’t been in a grocery store since March 12 Our DS brought 3 weeks ago & called last night for my list He will bring them in the morning
He’s a sweet son He doesn’t want me to go out
Velda I’m so sorry about your willy Those doggies get a special place in our Heart I still miss my Pebbles

Judi I’m sure you are happy to get elastic
That’s great others are helping
Most of mine were made with ties & Of course I burned fingers
Glad your family is staying well Hope they don’t get sick

I have uglies today Got all the leaves up from storm washing them & picked up the limbs blown down And did laundry too
May make some masks in case anyone needs some more
Stay safe & try to smile Becca

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:17 am

Good Morning. Thanks for your sweet words of comfort for me.
Becca, I too have had a few close calls with my fingers as I press the fabric for the ties.
I cut a stack on one day, press and prep the next. Then I can sit down and stitch them as chain piecing. Then I pin the pleats. Then stitch those pleats to finish.
I don't get that many done in one day, but it sure makes you feel good when you see how appreciated they are.
I have been piecing my ties to make use of every bit of my scrap fabrics. It makes it fun to make them color coordinated.
Keep on smiling. Hugs all around.
Vel
HUGS, 💕 Vel

velvet

Post by velvet » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:41 am

Well, I guess mother nature said it was time to wake up. BOOM!! BOOM!! So loud, it felt like it shook the room. Lightening and thunder with no real warning. Heard it rain during the night, but this was not expected. Either way I needed coffee anyway so I got up. It looks like a deary rainy day here. Maybe I'll just sew LOL Have masks fabric ready to cut and would like to make at least 2 more blocks from El's 40 yr book. The colors are bright and on this day would be a change from the darkness outside.

Have been very lucky not to know of anyone who has caught the virus. I pray for those who have it for a fast recovery.

Hold on and stay safe.
Diane

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:55 am

Good morning!

It was another rock n roll night yesterday. Another fairly good aftershock of last month's earthquake. At least it changes things up!

Oven is repaired to the tune of $1500. You are darn right, the power company will be getting that bill! We have already started the claim process. Crews were working on the main feeder line at the time of all the power surges.

I will be making many, many more masks. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does much humanitarian aid, here, and around the world. The Church just announced some of those aid projects, one being that the Relief Society will be sewing 5 million surgical masks. We will be learning in the next few days how we are going to do that. I am pretty sure, the Church will be supplying the kits of materials and us, Relief Society members, the women of the Church, will be sewing them together. Glad I have been practicing before hand! What a great service this will be, and to help out in.

Not much more here. In the school classroom is done until the normal September start time. Ethan will finish up this year at home, working online till the end of May.

Stay safe,
Hugs,
Jana

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:24 am

Good morning!

JANA - that is awesome what your church is doing! Glad you've had 'practice'! And also glad your oven is now repaired, but that was a really spendy repair! Ouch! Hope you have no problems getting reimbursed for it. Another earthquake?! Hope you don't find any damage. We have a crack in our brick fireplace from an earthquake but it didn't show up until months later.

JUDI - You and your group are also amazing angels! Especially making ties! I made calls to two nursing homes here offering masks but neither one responded to my messages so I figure they must be OK. My last batch of masks went to a veterans home.

DIANE - what a rude awakening you had! I don't personally know anyone who is sick either. But then everyone I know is diligent about staying home.

VELDA - I made my masks the same way you are - sort of assembly line - 20 at a time. I made my ties out of muslin. I always have a bolt on hand, usually 90" wide, that I get at Joann's big sales. And once I found almost a whole bolt in a thrift store.

LOIS - If you can't find the Lysol wipes, there are various 'recipes' for disinfectants, but the quickest and easiest is 4 Tbsp bleach in a quart of water. Have you got some cleaning rags? I rip old towels up for my rags. 2 yards! :lol:

BECCA - nice that your sweet son keeps close tabs on you and brings you anything you need!

I am in a mask-making lull here. If I get more requests, I'll get busy again but until then, I've cleaned up my fabric stash, pulling out scraps and small pieces for my crazy blocks. Yesterday I gathered up from all over the house and a storage cabinet in the garage old mismatched antique and vintage dishes I used to collect decades ago. Autumn has asked if she could have them. So it was a scavenger hunt here, then handwashing a lot of dishes and sending photos to she could "make sure" they were what she was thinking I had. Today - some time in the sewing room, and then moving outside to the back yard, cleaning up the few remaining winter messes there. If I don't get to them soon, they will be summer messes!

Stay well!
mary z

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:26 am

Good Morning Girls

Just a quick note this morning as my carpenters will be here soon to work on the bathroom and when they arrive I hightail it downstairs! By tomorrow the floor should be down and with LUCK Friday I should be able to get toilet reset! I will be ONE HAPPY GIRL!

I've been sewing masks here like crazy... I've lost count.. The FB group I joined for MN mask sewers is super organized.. one gal made our own website and a local car dealership is sponsoring our efforts.. paying web fees and will eventually be providing money for fabric! We have access to an online sign up sheet. that shows the needs around the state.. mostly in the twin cities area. So you just check that out... see what need you can fill and sign up! There's even gals that don't sew that are "runners" and will pick up supplies and masks and deliver. Today I'm finishing up one request of 50 masks, then I'll check the needs list and go from there. I did get some more elastic in yesterday so... I'll be ready to roll.

Better run.... Need more coffee of course.. then I'll be ready to SEW. Boy, my poor Janome is really going to need a trip to the Spa when this is over. I clean her constantly and she's been a really good girl.

Also... before I go... Can I ask for a little thought/prayer for my brother David today? He is meeting with a surgeon today to plan for surgery for Stage 4 dysphagia of the Colon... Not 100% sure I know what that means... but it doesn't sound good.

See you all soon

BE Grateful

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:39 am

Good Happy Morning......

Guess what? I was with out power for a day in a half. How crazy every thing I wanted to do needed power. As you can see I'm powered up now. I have cinn bread on the rise & my sister is coming for dinner for some yummy Cuban Pork Roast it has an orange & lime in it.

I had a real verbal fight with the man at my trash pick up company. I pay for drive way curb pick up. My trash can was left at the foot of my hill. To make a 20 min call short. He told me that "anyone that was not stupid" would know that the trash man wanted me to now leave it down the hill. I can not be pulling it up & down in all weather, it a little steep. No customer service! Looking for a new company.

I'm off to shower & if I have free time later I check in. Or I'll see you tomorrow.

Love & Prayers................Kathy

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:14 am

Good afternoon everyone.
The Halloween quilt is finished. I was trying to make a label and couldn’t spell anything right. LOL! So, I came upstairs. I will go down in a little while and get them done. Went grocery shopping this morning and ended up like Lois. I went later and got a few things that I wouldn’t have gotten if I went early. Still no paper products, beef, pasta sauce. I am so tired of going to the grocery. I used to like going. That’s life. Well, I am going back downstairs. Have a great day.
Suzette

Return to “Sew ins”